what one thing do you not want to see in MWO?

949 replies to this topic

#141 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

View PostHenchman 24, on 26 May 2012 - 05:11 AM, said:

Oh please, there's no impunity there. Yeah, they can be annoying in the hands of a good pilot. No, they aren't OP, and yes, you will need some support to keep them at bay.

This is all part of a combined arms game. Luckily, MWO is a little simpler, and should be easier to deal with in that regard.
Funny how you mention the hill camp(which so far is in EVERY mech game, just abused in MW4), yet complain about the air units that discourage such behavior.

I bet you think BattleArmor is OP too huh?

I've never understood the crowd that thinks fortifying a position is somehow camping, horrible, wrong and boring.

Half the fun of the game is figuring out how to crack these positions, or make them un-crackable. Not every fight has to turn into chaos. Most fights shouldn't.

#142 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

View PostJun Watarase, on 26 May 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

Which is why nobody ever uses short ranged weapons in MW4 online...

If you honestly believe that, you positively didn't play MW4 for long. The LBX/20 and LBX/10 were the primary weapons in the game at the end and were always the deal sealers if you could cover them to get into range with support stuff.

Part of why I actually stopped playing MW4 was every fight turned into a brawl of 6 Bushwackers armed with 1x LBX/20 and 1x LBX/10, stripped armor and 103kph speeds just spinning around in huge clusters.

#143 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

Considering that almost every map in MW4 has 800+ meter wide killing fields with absolutely no cover, using lbxs on it is suicide.

I dare you to boot up MW4 now and check the servers. You will find that most of the people playing are using assaults with JJs and sniper configs, and hiding in their spawns behind conveniently placed hills. Anyone who isn't doing that is either in a light/med with their speeds jacked up, with minimal weapons and running around in circles being ineffective, or is just running out of their spawns only to get focused fired by the entire enemy team within seconds.

People only use LBXs on the rare city fight map, or maps with lots of cover like tunnel thunder.

People love jump sniping so much in MW4 that ive seen half the server vote to change the map to ones that are just wide open plains so they can jump snipe in assaults.

Edited by Jun Watarase, 26 May 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#144 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

View PostHyperius, on 26 May 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

That really wouldn't make sense unless you're talking about standardizing the role of an entire lance so that you have , say, an assault lance, a recon lance, and a support lance

Otherwise it's a terrible idea to standardize equipment across the board because it limits a unit's versatility and, by proxy, their combat effectiveness. Even in militaries today squads often consist of members with varying kit eg. a medic, designated marksman, rifleman, machinegunner etc. because they are more effective than having only medics or only machinegunners.

According to this logic, the US army should be terribly ineffective because they have a standardised MBT, a standardised rifle, standardised body armor, etc...

The lances are already standardised according to roles, the problem is you get so many different chassises that do basically the same thing but all of them require different parts to maintain.

If you want a lance of heavy missle boats, you should standardised on a certain design, not have 4 or more different designs that are all basically LRMs + lasers. But we have so many designs because it's a game that follows the rule of cool rather than logic.

#145 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

View PostJun Watarase, on 26 May 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

Considering that almost every map in MW4 has 800+ meter wide killing fields with absolutely no cover, using lbxs on it is suicide.

I dare you to boot up MW4 now and check the servers. You will find that most of the people playing are using assaults with JJs and sniper configs, and hiding in their spawns behind conveniently placed hills. Anyone who isn't doing that is either in a light/med with their speeds jacked up, with minimal weapons and running around in circles being ineffective, or is just running out of their spawns only to get focused fired by the entire enemy team within seconds.

People only use LBXs on the rare city fight map, or maps with lots of cover like tunnel thunder.

It's possible that Mektek added a ton of terrible maps since Mercs and further into Hardcore, but I doubt it. The old maps generally had LOTS of cover.

Also in any kind of organized fight, you simply could not gun down a high speed pack of brawlers, because range couldn't drop them fast enough; your ranged 'mechs (Uziels and Ryokens, generally) had to try to hang in the back and avoid the fight entirely by the end of he Mercs league, because every single other unit was a fast moving close range medium.

Again, it's possible Hardcore changed how all this played out, but that's how it was in Mercs. House Jurai was the first unit to really pioneer the "Buff the engines and just flat out charge, they'll never stop us all" strategy.

#146 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

View PostAussieGiant, on 26 May 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

I think convergence is a great thing. It's certainly going to have the "7 Medium Lazer" boating crowd take a moment to reconsider.

Other than that...I don't want to see a huge arms race to obtain certain tech or mechs (pay to win). The devs should make sure they add the technology incrementally, and preferably use the time line as a guide.

Convergence will just mean that people will put all the med lasers in one spot (e.g. side torsos) so they don't have to deal with convergence. Convergence literally does nothing but slow down aiming from different points of a mech, and encourages people to mass as much weapons in one point as possible to avoid the convergence delay.

View PostVictor Morson, on 26 May 2012 - 10:13 PM, said:

It's possible that Mektek added a ton of terrible maps since Mercs and further into Hardcore, but I doubt it. The old maps generally had LOTS of cover.

Also in any kind of organized fight, you simply could not gun down a high speed pack of brawlers, because range couldn't drop them fast enough; your ranged 'mechs (Uziels and Ryokens, generally) had to try to hang in the back and avoid the fight entirely by the end of he Mercs league, because every single other unit was a fast moving close range medium.

Again, it's possible Hardcore changed how all this played out, but that's how it was in Mercs. House Jurai was the first unit to really pioneer the "Buff the engines and just flat out charge, they'll never stop us all" strategy.

Well that kind of assumes that you have a whole lot of people charging with you, which never happens in MW4 these days.

You charge out of the spawn alone, you die alone. You can try that now if you want.

Also im really not seeing how 4 meds can take on 4 assaults and win, especially considering a 100 tonner has more than double the armor of a med, not to mention the weapons, and the assaults will kill at least 1 med before the meds can get into LBX range...

#147 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

premium weapons/mechs.

#148 LordDeathStrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

View PostAussieGiant, on 26 May 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

I think convergence is a great thing. It's certainly going to have the "7 Medium Lazer" boating crowd take a moment to reconsider.

Other than that...I don't want to see a huge arms race to obtain certain tech or mechs (pay to win). The devs should make sure they add the technology incrementally, and preferably use the time line as a guide.

well at the very least you have to line up your torso and arm lazers instead of just free 1 shotting after jumping over a hill poptard style

#149 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

convergence... why the hate for something that MUST occur for your weapons to you know, HIT your bloody target? I mean come on people, if your weapons arcs do NOT converge at SOME point in space your weapons will simple fly past your targets giving them nothing more than a pretty light show or a breeze if its an ammo weapon. come on, think about it :)

#150 Sleeping Bear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationGuam

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

I never ever want to see coolant flush in MWO, it was stupid to ever put that in a mechwarrior game and a copout.

#151 Flyntlock

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

A MW version of WoT XVM mods.

#152 Clay Pigeon

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

View PostUnLimiTeD, on 26 May 2012 - 06:54 AM, said:

I'd like projectile Inheritance; That'd mean, if you jumpsnipe, and your weapons are not instant or homing, your projectiles will inherit your jump velocity, so you have to lead your target even if it's standing perfectly still.
Or time it so you fire on the apex of your jump.

That aside, I obviously could go well without OP tactics and configs; I love finding the best config for my style, to then play with it and maybe get an advantage, I'm good at that stuff. But as soon as it's the best config in general, it gets boring. And cheap.

Inheritance, if implemented, needs to be 100 percent. None of that 50 percent hogwash in T:A.

Edited by Clay Pigeon, 26 May 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#153 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

Paid weapons....

#154 Khorneholio

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

No integrated VOIP. This oversight nearly ruined BF3 for me. You can't have a game based on communication, teamwork, and cooperation without integrated communications. TS and Vent are great if you have a large clan and a constant pool of lancemates, but 95% of players will be randoms shoved together by fate.

#155 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

<sigh> all this hate for a really viable mechanism, something i should ALSO point out, despite the risks, is IN TABLE TOP. Ever hear of the coolant Pods? so, yes, some form of coolant flush should be included in game, if they stick close to: Lore, Canon, TT. a cop out is not coolant flush. fact. I know this does not translate very well into mech warrior online, but, i would point everyone at NASA for a moment. IF you have ever seen a launch of ANYTHING at NASA either from public viewing area's or on NASA TV or any major news broad cast when the SHUTTLE was launched, I direct your attention to a key thing. They FLOODED the blast areas and still DO with water. what is this if not a gigantic COOLANT flush to keep the pad from burning up as millions of pounds of thrust slam into the launch pad. While, yes, there are some issues with coolant flushing IF YOU APPLY PHYSICS as we know them TODAY, but, then again, if you use todays physics, guess what, those fusion reactors, they are simply NOT possible. Get off the 2012 physics bandwagon and just turn on suspension of disbelief and enjoy the coolant flush. heck, if your opposed to it, dont use it. or dont buy the pods. but as the saying goes: better to have the MMHMM and not need it, than to NOT have the MMHMM and NEED it.

#156 Rhodes

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

Fans that feel entitled to point out how my layout isn't canon. Maybe i'm a little too contemporary, but If such penalties are put on modification, the game will be a slow FPS where everyone spawns with same layout.

To me, that would get boring fast. I personally like when I see a Raven outfitted with no electronics, all armor, max speed, All flamers, and short range missiles. If getting killed is penalized correctly, people won't do this anyways, but at least there will be the occasional person who likes to mix it up, or heaven forbid somehow makes it work. I understand that may not make sense according to lore. But this is a game. I don't want it to be a history lesson.

And what's so wrong with the jumping alpha strike combo? The only reason this was such an annoyance in previous MW titles was because people did not work in teams. It was all solo, so the people in Black Knights with 2 PPC's and 3 ERLL who worked it, did well, and annoyed the hell out of people. If the team player aspect is good enough, and the game FEELS right, I wouldn't worry, and look forward to crazy antics VS. classic layouts. Just make it fun!

Edited by Rhodes, 26 May 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#157 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

View PostKhorneholio, on 26 May 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

No integrated VOIP. This oversight nearly ruined BF3 for me. You can't have a game based on communication, teamwork, and cooperation without integrated communications. TS and Vent are great if you have a large clan and a constant pool of lancemates, but 95% of players will be randoms shoved together by fate.

dude, a non integrated VOIP will hurt more of us than will help the few of you. Face it, not everyone will be a part of huge merc corps with private 3rd party VOIPs, also, you can never guarantee that ALL of you will be on at the same time. SOME built in VOIP is a must. There is not enough time in a PUG <which a good portion of us will usually end up in> to set up a VOIP outside the game.

View PostRhodes, on 26 May 2012 - 10:29 PM, said:

Fans that feel entitled to point out how my layout isn't canon. Maybe i'm a little too contemporary, but If such penalties are put on modification, the game will be a slow FPS where everyone spawns with same layout.

To me, that would get boring fast. I personally like when I see a Raven outfitted with no electronics, all armor, max speed, All flamers, and short range missiles. If getting killed is penalized correctly, people won't do this anyways, but at least there will be the occasional person who likes to mix it up, or heaven forbid somehow makes it work. I understand that may not make sense according to lore. But this is a game. I don't want it to be a history lesson.

And what's so wrong with the jumping alpha strike combo? The only reason this was such an annoyance in previous MW titles was because people did not work in teams. It was all solo, so the people in Black Knights with 2 PPC's and 3 ERLL who worked it, did well, and annoyed the hell out of people. If the team player aspect is good enough, and the game FEELS right, I wouldn't worry, and look forward to crazy antics VS. classic layouts. Just make it fun!

you expect us to ya know, work in teams all the time? gonna be alot of PUGs in the game, dont expect if, especially if they dont give us a built in VOIP.

#158 Turbo Corvair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLake Ariel, PA

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

Having your mech destroyed trivialized. I want people to fear the ramifications of defeat. I love that one of the two known game modes will be essentially perma-death. I don't want to see the dev's back down on this and have that game mode become uncommon or defunct.

War games play completely differently when you really fear death.

#159 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

I don't want to see any kind of pay to win mechs or ammo.

#160 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

I don't want to see everything running around with the most advanced tech way before its time.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users