what one thing do you not want to see in MWO?

949 replies to this topic

#301 Max Liao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 695 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCrimson, Canopus IV

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

This is MechWarrior, not Super Action Mecha Combat Game Extreme (with Kung Fu grip). Through the novels and the tabletop game there is an appropriate 'feel' or spirit to the combat, and pop-tarting and legging are not in the spirit of MechWarrior combat canon. Microsoft did a HUGE disservice with its implementation of multiplayer, something that I hope MWO rectifies.

If you want Super Action Mecha Combat Game Extreme (with Kung Fu grip), I think people still play Shogo.

#302 Scarlett Avignon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 913 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

View PostOrion Pirate, on 28 May 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

You are right, it works in a TT setting with friends... But in a real time game, that has random players, it can be really silly, and get out of hand, or so I imagine. I just imagine getting rushed by an Atlas and getting axed to death because I can't stop him fast enough, and when I turn around to run from him his buddy in a light mech with an axe just beats me as I run... Replace Atlas with the mech of your imagination... I know there will be variables to counter some of this of course, but I would rather not see Melee at all in a real time FPS game.

I know many people LOVE melee in FPS, but for me it breaks the game and makes it difficult to enjoy.

Is it any different if they gun you down? If you don't want melee, then the Battletech universe is not for you. This isn't an FPS. It's a Mech combat simulator. I don't care about your horror stories from MW3.

#303 VeiledMalice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

View PostMax Liao, on 28 May 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

This is MechWarrior, not Super Action Mecha Combat Game Extreme (with Kung Fu grip). Through the novels and the tabletop game there is an appropriate 'feel' or spirit to the combat, and pop-tarting and legging are not in the spirit of MechWarrior combat canon. Microsoft did a HUGE disservice with its implementation of multiplayer, something that I hope MWO rectifies.

If you want Super Action Mecha Combat Game Extreme (with Kung Fu grip), I think people still play Shogo.

I know I do. That was a fun game.

And now I'm envisioning an out-of-mech sequence where you gun down poor rez'ed anonymous guards with dual pistols... >_>

#304 Orion Pirate

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, Virginia

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

View PostFranklen Avignon, on 28 May 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

Is it any different if they gun you down? If you don't want melee, then the Battletech universe is not for you. This isn't an FPS. It's a Mech combat simulator. I don't care about your horror stories from MW3.

I am sorry, but it is the dynamic of the players, not the mechanics that I worry about. There is a significant difference between Battletech and MWO in terms of how the game will play since it includes a random mix of players that see it as a cool F2P game and have never played Battletech before. This would never happen in a Battletech game, and the tactics can be managed in a TT game better then a random game of MWO. I have yet to play a single FPS that treats a melee weapon properly. If MWO can deal with Melee and heat and rate of attacks, it would just be another short range attack that does not use ammo.

Melee works, and should exist, and probably will, but I hope it is not an option on every mech, and with how they are locking down hardpoints, it probably is not.

It is something I fear, due to past experience. Fear is not always rational.

P.S. FPS... MWO is in the first person perspective, it will have an aiming sight, and guns, with the objective of shooting other people. I don't know what else to call it, but FPS is the most basic and broad term I chose to use.

Edited by Orion Pirate, 28 May 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#305 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

My 2 cents, literally:

1. No Coolant flush
2. No NHUA mode.

#306 Tronchaser

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

1a) Goonswarm
1b) anything related to that idiotic pony nonsense.

#307 Scarlett Avignon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 913 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostOrion Pirate, on 28 May 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

I am sorry, but it is the dynamic of the players, not the mechanics that I worry about. There is a significant difference between Battletech and MWO in terms of how the game will play since it includes a random mix of players that see it as a cool F2P game and have never played Battletech before. This would never happen in a Battletech game, and the tactics can be managed in a TT game better then a random game of MWO. I have yet to play a single FPS that treats a melee weapon properly. If MWO can deal with Melee and heat and rate of attacks, it would just be another short range attack that does not use ammo.

Melee works, and should exist, and probably will, but I hope it is not an option on every mech, and with how they are locking down hardpoints, it probably is not.

It is something I fear, due to past experience. Fear is not always rational.

P.S. FPS... MWO is in the first person perspective, it will have an aiming sight, and guns, with the objective of shooting other people. I don't know what else to call it, but FPS is the most basic and broad term I chose to use.

Melee combat isn't extremely powerful (lucky head shots barring, of course.) So I'm not sure what you're scared of. If someone wants to try to run across the field and bash my head it, I welcome them. My company's weapons will be waiting.

Again, if you don't want melee, Battletech isn't your universe.

As far as you calling it a FPS, again, there is a term for games like this. Mech Combat Simulator.

#308 Fabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

View PostMax Liao, on 28 May 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

Why do some people think that melee in Battletech is some over the top style "kung fu" action? A battlemech kick is not a Chuck Norris round house to the head,its more like a 10 year old girl kicking someone in the shins.

I for one would welcome melee if they can pull it off right,but I can't see it being implemented any time soon since I think the situation where we'll be close enough to engage in melee will be very rare to the point that the time spent adding it could be used to add more worth while content.

#309 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

guhh! Ponyslander!!! ;)

Here is not the place... will bide time...

I hope we never see Richard Simmons as nose art. Or goat.se as a clan/merc link... or rampant bigotry and hatred... (in which case I guessss we could see Richard, y'know)

#310 Aleksandr Wolf

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

People calling a Timber Wolf a Mad Cat (whatever that is you freeborn scum).

#311 Orion Pirate

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, Virginia

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

View PostFranklen Avignon, on 28 May 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

Melee combat isn't extremely powerful (lucky head shots barring, of course.) So I'm not sure what you're scared of. If someone wants to try to run across the field and bash my head it, I welcome them. My company's weapons will be waiting.

Again, if you don't want melee, Battletech isn't your universe.

As far as you calling it a FPS, again, there is a term for games like this. Mech Combat Simulator.

When talking about Melee in MWO, we have no metric to go by. We have no idea how it will work. So we will continue to disagree on that front. For me it is a fear with no basis until it becomes real in the game. I simply wish it will never happen. I have no problem dealing with it in the TT setting, but this is going to be so different then a TT game of Battletech...

As far as MWO being an FPS, I am surely not the only person using that term. Are you going to correct everyone? Because I don't think I am wrong, and I don't think you are wrong either, but I just don't see it as much as a sim as you are. When I get to play it, I might change my mind and consider calling a MCS as you are.

Edited by Orion Pirate, 28 May 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#312 Stormdragon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

View PostTronchaser, on 28 May 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

1a) Goonswarm

Just want to throw this out there....

Ranting about how you don't want the goons around is a bit like saying Bloody Mary three times in the mirror; she's going to show up just to mess with you.

#313 Ian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

a Mad Cat is a Mad Cat, look in the Technical Readout. ;)

Melee should be in, Coolant Flush and repair rearm as they existed in MW3 and 4 should not be. Coolant Pods are acceptable, but they have their own down sides.

Masc should give a chance every time you use it to freeze your legs for the rest of the game. Sucks, but its the trade off for how good it is.

You should not be able to get a headshot save by luck or careful aim at a shutdown mech.

#314 Viper FW

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

Clan Mechs, and Clans. also no pay to win crap like in other games. you should have to earn your mechs not buy them

#315 Wiley Coyote

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

My mom. I help her enough with support for her laptop over the phone. She's a lovely woman and I love her dearly but I do not need to be answering her questions in the middle of a match. It would go something like this:

"What's this red, flashing light mean?"
"Is this red, flashing light labelled in any way, mom?"
"Yes, it says 'Eject'. What do I do?"
*sigh* + *facepalm* ;)

Oh, and flat open maps. I need some cover for my recon mechs.

#316 godzofwar

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Locationdeep in the dark reaches of unknown space

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

i read alot of good ideas, then there was just babble. please read the dev notes & Q&A's. there is alot of info. there will be a balance system it has been said. audio is being looked into for thoes being interisted in team-speak, the devs allready know that com's between lance mates & your company co. is important it just hasto be developed for an effeciant play experance.
On the topic of coolant flush it is not a go away heat solution it reduses the heat by a % so you don't shut down it dosen't take it all away. the boats wont work in this game the devs have confirmed that team tactics are a must. if your a loan wolf kiss your mech good-by.
the imporant thing to me will be my house & the battles that will incure to expand my lords realm. so good hunting to all & to all a good fight.

#317 Smellyshoes

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

oops! read that wrong.

Clan mechs

Edited by Smellyshoes, 28 May 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#318 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

View PostTronchaser, on 28 May 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

1a) Goonswarm

THIS! also:
i wish to avoid exploits like er large lasers or tag lasers that were in mw4 also... dont want weapons bein dead accurate at 800 meters when people are using jump jets that was something i really hated in mercs, people who would stack heavies and assaults with jj's and alpha the crap out of you from cover

Edited by Lightdragon, 28 May 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#319 Professor Sakharov

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUnited States, Texas

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

I too am hoping that anyone won't be able to just start playing, throw down a bunch of real currency, and just dominate.

Aerospace is also extremely annoying.

#320 Implacable

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

View PostJun Watarase, on 26 May 2012 - 05:03 AM, said:

I have bad news for you, every mech can be freely customized, that already breaks immersion. All weapons have 100% accuracy, that also breaks immersion.

*** **** it, I was hoping for physicalised projectiles where appropriate (I suppose Tribes has spoiled me there ;) )

32 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 32 guests, 0 anonymous users