3Rd Person Views, Poll Revived

565 replies to this topic

Poll: 3rd person, yes, no, on the fence (1769 member(s) have cast votes)

3rd person Views

1. This is a BAD idea, as it will break the game, so, NO. (1535 votes [84.90%])

Percentage of vote: 84.90%

2. This is a GOOD Idea, let us have our 3rd person views, so YES. (129 votes [7.13%])

Percentage of vote: 7.13%

3. Do not care or as of yet undecided. (144 votes [7.96%])

Percentage of vote: 7.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#501 FaceRipt

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

View PostVon Falkenstein, on 24 January 2013 - 02:27 AM, said:

NO.

(Spectator mode for dead folks with 3rd Person available: Maybe Yes.)

I voted no, but this would be acceptable so long as the people viewing were not able to communicate with the players still alive. I hate when i have to watch a light run around as the last player left for 5 mins and thier screen is all lagging around, i would much rather see an external view of that.

#502 Commander Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 25 March 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

thirds actually cause i you look at the OP of the 3rd person thread, he specifically states 3 ques. One being 1st person playing with 3rd person (which he bolded and underlined in that very same post earlier they would never do), one 3rd person only, one 1st person only.
Proof:
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2103359

and later:

Bolded option contradicts his bolded and underlined (his emphasis not mine) statements earlier in the same post

he doesn't contradict himself at all, it isn't forcing anyone to play with 3rd person if they don't want to.

View PostHayashi, on 27 March 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

Why is the poll multiple choice?

if it wasn't it wouldn't be much of a poll.

#503 Hayashi

Snowflake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:51 PM

View PostOmni 13, on 27 March 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

if it wasn't it wouldn't be much of a poll.

Try voting for all three options at the same time, and you'll know what I mean.

#504 ArusDobby

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

I am seeingalot of people say no to 3rd person. Thing is if the game went like the video originally shown for the modern mechwarrior game, there as a type of 3rd person that folk couldn't wait for. I am talking about the drone that the mechs carried & that looked down on the scene - giving updated info.
In this type of scenario I would be for the 3rd person. But not like they do it in WOT.
Or a 3rd person view that could be used for up to 5 seconds for quick check of immediate mech surroundings up to only 10 feet appx. Not for targetting....only those times mech is stuck and need better eyes to get unstuck, if you know what I mean.
And during that 3rd person view...no targetting or info on enemy mechs..only map location.

#505 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

View Postmwhighlander, on 23 January 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

I swear to God if that Finlay guy is the one who voted yes...

How in the hell did I vote in this thread when it started and end up missing this little gem. Nearly woke the wife from my laughing!

#506 Iscariott

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

Vote is an obvious no. 3rd person mode for a training map is a great idea. Including it in the actual online competitive experience is unacceptable.

#507 DontpanicAU

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

Once again, freaking whiners.

You are the people who ruined ARMA III for the 3rd person players.

You are the people trying to take something away from others.

How about this...

3rd person like would be expected, so they can look around and do all the stuff they want to do, BUT! If the enemy mech is not within viewing distance of you're entire cockpit windows, then it does not render...sounds fine to me.

No peeking around corners, i get to see my pretty mech with the same situational awareness as you whiners.

Defeat that.

#508 Jess Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 643 posts
  • LocationFrozen in Time Somewhere IDK?

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

Might as well play something else if 3rd person view is introduced in MWO.

#509 DontpanicAU

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

View PostJess Hazen, on 30 March 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

Might as well play something else if 3rd person view is introduced in MWO.

Why?

If it is implemented like it is in my last post then you have 1st and 3rd, and no advantages to third other than seeing a pretty mech.

#510 Jess Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 643 posts
  • LocationFrozen in Time Somewhere IDK?

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

ive been reading and i guess im ok with it if the user has no control over the 3rd person camera in replays.

there are advantages gained from having a 3rd person view unless you are blind?

#511 DontpanicAU

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

View PostJess Hazen, on 30 March 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

ive been reading and i guess im ok with it if the user has no control over the 3rd person camera in replays.

there are advantages gained from having a 3rd person view unless you are blind?

What significant advantages come from 3rd person if the enemy mechs aren't rendered if it's not in view of your cockpit?

#512 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:01 AM

View PostHitokiree, on 30 March 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

Why?

If it is implemented like it is in my last post then you have 1st and 3rd, and no advantages to third other than seeing a pretty mech.

But it won't be.

If 3rd person is done so you can only see what your mechs windows (i.e. the 1st person camera) can see then you won't see the outside of your mech, you won't see the terrain outside your mech unless it is in front of you (and not behind other terrain which blocks line of sight, etc), mechs will appear in mid-air as they become visible, etc.

Do you really think these hordes of 3rd person fans who are apparently waiting silently (except to PGI, who have somehow managed to ascertain that there are many more of them than there are "no" votes in the forum polls) are going to be happy with a 3rd person mode which still limits them to the capabilities of 1st person mode?

And do you think they will be running a 3rd person and first person CW side-by-side so they are never forced to play together? No, they will change it again and say "well, they have to be mixed now. Deal with it".

Edited by Jestun, 31 March 2013 - 01:02 AM.

#513 Enrage

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationThe Pilbara W. Australia

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

Do not want. Not at all. I want something closer to a simulator than a generic mech style fps.

#514 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

View PostEnrage, on 31 March 2013 - 01:14 AM, said:

Do not want. Not at all. I want something closer to a simulator than a generic mech style fps.

erm, might want to re-do that sentence because if you don't want an FPS then you wouldn't like the current view mode the game has.

#515 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

is comming 3PV as Drone is ok , all other NO! and for the 3PV Fans ... you will 2´3PV ? play Armored Core,Ghost Recon Online(with all the Wallhackers,Glitchers and Cheaters)
when I walk into a Etablisement which advertises that I can meet there Women, I do not want guy who told me how great men are, and why I want to know that he is not and stattd women suddenly all men there are

#516 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:02 AM

It'd be nice for spectating... but that's about it. They can lock all the polls they want but that's not going to change this community's mind.

Edited by Bluten, 31 March 2013 - 02:03 AM.

#517 DontpanicAU

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

View PostJestun, on 31 March 2013 - 01:01 AM, said:

But it won't be.

If 3rd person is done so you can only see what your mechs windows (i.e. the 1st person camera) can see then you won't see the outside of your mech, you won't see the terrain outside your mech unless it is in front of you (and not behind other terrain which blocks line of sight, etc), mechs will appear in mid-air as they become visible, etc.

Do you really think these hordes of 3rd person fans who are apparently waiting silently (except to PGI, who have somehow managed to ascertain that there are many more of them than there are "no" votes in the forum polls) are going to be happy with a 3rd person mode which still limits them to the capabilities of 1st person mode?

And do you think they will be running a 3rd person and first person CW side-by-side so they are never forced to play together? No, they will change it again and say "well, they have to be mixed now. Deal with it".

This is the problem.

I'm saying that everything is viewable except for the mechs, so terrain and whatever else is still there, but weapons fire and mechs themselves are not visible until they are within the view from what would be your cockpit. Perfectly functional, and no advantages conveyed to the other side.

However i do have to concede, that most 3rd person players are the same as 1st person sim players. Whiney female dogs.

I'm an avid 3rd person player and would happily take those concessions, but i've only seen it implemented in that fashion on very few occasions.

#518 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:21 AM

View PostHitokiree, on 31 March 2013 - 02:17 AM, said:

This is the problem.

I'm saying that everything is viewable except for the mechs, so terrain and whatever else is still there, but weapons fire and mechs themselves are not visible until they are within the view from what would be your cockpit. Perfectly functional, and no advantages conveyed to the other side.

However i do have to concede, that most 3rd person players are the same as 1st person sim players. Whiney female dogs.

I'm an avid 3rd person player and would happily take those concessions, but i've only seen it implemented in that fashion on very few occasions.

Being able to see all the terrain is a clear advantage. It's something that 1st person camera does not have.

If you want to market them as equal instead of one which gives an advantage over the other then that's how you have to limit it.

But the 3rd person people will never support it because they want their advantages. And devs are unlikely to support it because it's harder to code and really wouldn't look very good (basically most of the screen would be a kind of fog of war, with just the LoS of your mech's cockpit being displayed).

#519 BattleBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 541 posts
  • LocationWarren

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

Big Fat No here. no 3rd person cam please.

I just really started to like this game, if 3rd person view is implemented I will be really dissapointed. :lol:
It will either split the community into FFP matches and mixed view matches, or the real simulation purists like myself will leave.
both are bad results.

#520 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

Say no to easy mode

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users