Have You Taken Advantage Of The Weekend Dragon Mc Offer?

102 replies to this topic

Poll: Dragon Poll (298 member(s) have cast votes)

20% MC off a substandard mech that isn't expensive with Cbills anyway. YOUIN?

1. Yes (7 votes [2.35%])

Percentage of vote: 2.35%

2. No (291 votes [97.65%])

Percentage of vote: 97.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Fenix0742

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 265 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

View PostAntony Weiner, on 26 January 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

Seriously, the marketing department chief for this game needs to be fired.

I don't know about that. This is their first attempt an a sale, they're probably just throwing things out there and seeing what sticks. Like how round one of Holiday items was way expensive, and round two was super cheap.

Based on the poll, I imagine the next sale will be a bigger price cut.

But you're right, the marketing team should be made to play the game with a free account for a week, and then ask them what would make them go out and buy MC. I bet you a 50% off the price of mechbays would get a LOT of $7 package sales.

#62 Antony Weiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationEast Coast U.S.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostFenix0742, on 26 January 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

I don't know about that. This is their first attempt an a sale, they're probably just throwing things out there and seeing what sticks. Like how round one of Holiday items was way expensive, and round two was super cheap.

But you're right, the marketing team should be made to play the game with a free account for a week, and then ask them what would make them go out and buy MC. I bet you a 50% off the price of mechbays would get a LOT of $7 package sales.

Hey, I absolutely agree with what you are saying. I noticed the price disparity for the holiday cockpit items too–obvious data collection effort.

But this... this was just terrible. Anyone who played this game for a couple of weeks would have known how absolutely terrible this offer is. Now, throwing out a 40-60% MC sale for one of the least practical mechs and seeing if it would stick would be quite an interesting research effort. Heck, I would like to see those numbers myself. But 20% just shows a tremendous disconnect from the market. It is obvious that it is not going to generate sh*t. Might just try 5% then–you know, to be careful and methodical.

Having said that, I see your point. There might be a myriad of scenarios where a release of such sale does not warrant a firing or even a reprimand. For all we know, this sale could be a result of some inner argument among the PGI/IGP leadership.

Anyway, this is not worth me boiling over. ;) I just stopped by to vote. That mechbay idea is very good; I would buy an MC package just to get a ton of mechbays.

Edited by Antony Weiner, 26 January 2013 - 01:30 PM.

#63 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostMontavious, on 26 January 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

Another shameless money grab attempt. But they did it because they know there are some lazy ppl out there that would rather spend real money on things rather than grind it. So I guess its a win/win for them.

Then why would they put one of the least played mechs on sale?

It was a nice offer, don't think anyone wants to spend MC on a Dragon of all things

#64 Shock Wave

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

I think most players are pretty thrifty when it comes to spending actual money on a F2P game. Why would they spend a couple thousand MC on a mech when they could use that same MC to buy several individual days of priemium time? Then they could make the C-bills within a few hours of play and buy what they want while still enjoying the game. Financially it doesn't make sense to buy an item that you can earn just by playing. I realize there are those individuals that don't have the time to grind for a new mech, and for those individuals that this sale works, but for most players it's just a waste of money.

It is my opinion that PGI should have sales that lower the price of current MC packages or sales that increase the amount in packages. I believe that is what most players want and what they would actually spend their money on.

#65 RiceyFighter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 608 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

This is probably a test to see how mech sales will affect their profits . Also I believe the Flame is arguably one of the best hero mechs. So including the dragon sale could potentially convince some players to buy the whole dragon set for master abilities.

#66 River Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 836 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

No because it was a BS resin to put in a stealth fix to bring back the lag Shield.
Thy fix it Wednesday then unfix it with a sever shutdown and a came back with a BS deal to cover the Leg shield fix.

#67 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

I already have a founder's Atlas, so why would I want to pilot a terrible hero Dragon for only 5% more c-bills? And if the hero dragon is worthless to me, why would I want a non-hero Dragon? Doesn't make any sense...

Don't you think its about time to buff the Dragons? I would suggest giving them all an extra energy hardpoint. Because they really need SOMETHING to make them worthwhile compared to the Cataphract. Also why can't any of the Dragons use dual UAC/5s? That's another huge disappointment.

Edited by Khobai, 26 January 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#68 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Dragon is the perfect mech to put on sale. The sale was too small in my opinion though. Why put on a sale a mech everyone is going to play? This helps to promote mech diversity. As to someone should be fired? Why, this is a business, they probably talked about it and gave it a try, and gauged its success. There was really no downside to us the players, or them the business. though some seem to take offense to them even offering.

#69 LaserAngel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 889 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Drop the C-Bill price and people will spend premium time just like the Double XP weekend. Everyone wins.

#70 skullman86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

I cant justify spending MC on a standard variant. If it were like a blowout sale (~100MC), then yeah, I could see myself maybe grabbing one or two, but that's about it.

#71 Doubtful Danary

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

View PostGaeb, on 26 January 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

Hah, not really getting my point. The original post I replied to called people who spend money on mechs lazy. Given there are plenty of people out there with a college degree, a six figure job, a number of responsibilities, and a limited amount of free time playing video games who can afford to spend a few hundred bucks a month on whatever they feel like - I wouldn't call such folks 'lazy'. ;) Oh darn, they don't have an extra 30-60 hours a week to grind mechs because they're busy making the money that gets the devs paid and makes the game possible ... those slackers! :P

Just amused at the 'lazy' quote. "Gosh, you have money to spend to take short cuts, you must be lazy!"

Still talking about that? Wow. Must of hit a nerve huh?

Edited by Montavious, 26 January 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#72 Gaeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

View PostMontavious, on 26 January 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

Still talking about that? Wow. Must of hit a nerve huh?

Yep. The funnybone. I get pretty tickled by forum posters complaining people with money are lazy while simultaneously whining they should be entitled to lower prices / etc. Its just funny.

Edited by Gaeb, 26 January 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#73 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

no, for 2 reasons...

1st, i don´t want a dragon right now
2nd, even if i did, i´d have to wait for my payment until tuesday or so ;)

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 26 January 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#74 Apoc1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

View PostThirdstar, on 26 January 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

waste of space

I have no problem with people saying that they don't see the value in 20% MC bonus or 20% saving... I find it funny that people feel the need to post abusive comments on the subject, when I know of quite a few people who have taken up both 20% MC bonus deals and this deal, yet if you only believed the forum you'd get the impression that no one was

the fact that the forum is becoming ever decreasingly indicative of what the player base actually think and feel about the game, it's hardly surprising that the devs "ignore" the forums

no where in my post have I tried to dictate anything to anyone, I'm simply remarking on some peoples inability to be civil and correspondingly making themselves look simple and childish, which you've quite nicely played right in to... thanks for that!

#75 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

I already own all Dragons other than the 5N (crap) and Fang (why pay MC for a Fang?)

#76 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

View PostFenix0742, on 26 January 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

I thought this as well. Its clear they are experimenting and trying to see exactly what people will pay for or are interested in (could have probably told them it wasn't Dragons :P )

I would definitely shell out for reduced mechbays. Hell, if the Flame was on for 20% off I probably would have finally broke down and picked one up. But stock mechs? And the Dragons of all of them? Weird choice. The only stock mech sale I could see moving any units would be a deep discount on Atlai, and then probably it would be people picking it up and stripping/selling them like we used to see.

#77 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

They said they were adding new items, not discounts to MC-only purchases on mechs better bought with Cbills. That move felt disingenuous. They still don't have any general hanging items, and there are no non-faction specific banners. I'm no marketer, but I was a marketeer. If they could add items to the rather empty bit of store they have they might see some healthy sales.

#78 Silvertree

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSt. Catharines, ON

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

If it had been a sale on the Hero mechs, I probably would have been tempted (better yet, a Fang/Flame package deal; how is that not an obvious promotion?). Hero mechs are terribly overpriced... if the prices ever get adjusted downwards I hope they'll refund the difference to us early adopters. They really need to include a mech bay with a hero mech, too...

A 2-for-1 mech bay sale would certainly get me spending my MC too... with new mechs being released each month, and needing three variants of each to master, I expect that long-term mech bays will be the source of most of my MC spending. Which goes to another issue... we need a way to organize our mechs, or at least have variant models automatically grouped together.

#79 Huntsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

I really do love this game, so I feel kinda bad that moreoften than not when I post it's to say something negative, but I guess it's true what they say that customers are quiet when they're happy, and only bother flappin their gums when there's an issue.

In this case, I just don't get why they don't put out a legitimate offer, something better than the founders package in terms of c-bills, and one that is offered to those of all purchasing levels. They want to be tight fisted with a commodity that they have no overhead cost for...it's absurd, and its costing them money because they'd make more money overall if they simply made their offers both more attractive, and more approachable to lower end buyers.

#80 Gristle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationN. E. Kentucky

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

I have $50 on a Visa gift card I got for the holidays earmarked for MWO, just waiting for IGP to give me an incentive to spend it. A sale on Dragons wasn't it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users