Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:44 AM

this thread needs more Raindrops,

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

she is not a singer *holding his ears*

Edited by Fuzzyhead, 06 August 2012 - 01:48 AM.

#6303 Sesambrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

Hey folks, been a while since I posted one of my own pics in here.
You may remember the sketch of that pegasus I posted a while back...?
Well, I'm finally done with it:
Posted Image

To be honest though, drawing her didn't take too long, background and scenery are what took forever until I was satisfied, because I never did that before.
As always, feedback is appreciated!

#6304 Samaritan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

Hon. Seambrot;

Congratulations, that's a good picture. Are you proficient enough to rotate your ponies and draw them from any perspective? If you have that skill set you can pretty much put any pony pic to any story you would care to tell.

How long did you have to practice with gimp to bring your painted ponies to this degree of competency?

Respectfully

Samaritan

#6305 Tanki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

View PostSesambrot, on 06 August 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

Hey folks, been a while since I posted one of my own pics in here.
You may remember the sketch of that pegasus I posted a while back...?
Well, I'm finally done with it:
Posted Image

To be honest though, drawing her didn't take too long, background and scenery are what took forever until I was satisfied, because I never did that before.
As always, feedback is appreciated!

Love that you took the time to add the effect of volumetric shadowing to it. You must be playing a lot of Death Valley.

#6306 Sesambrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

Thank you!

Well, I'm not sure. Actually it's only the third time I drew a pony, for some reason I started with a rather difficult perspective for all of them, especially for the head. I think most people start drawing them from the side. You may remember those first few practice-sketches I posted here quite a while back which were in side and front view, the ponies I drew are all in 3/4 which is a bit more difficult.
I'm not sure I want to try something else yet, I don't think I have enough practice just yet.
The plan is to draw a few pictures that are in some way connected to each other and tell a simple story, and maybe even some comic-strips when I get around to it.

It still takes me quite long to finish one of those pictures, you'll see if you care to dig up my post that contained the first sketch for the one above. That problem also stems from the fact, that "just about good enough" isn't good enough for me, so I keep working, deleting and reworking large chunks of the pictures until I'm happy with it.
However, I always notice small things that I need to look out for the next time I draw something, some minor errors that don't justify changing the picture, but things that I plan to do better next time.

For drawing these pictures, I actually use a combination of MyPaint and GIMP.
MyPaint is a very simplistic but also very accessible tool and it's very intuitive to use.
It lacks any image-editing tools like selections but it provides you with layers so you can for example draw the mane on a different layer than the body and not have to worry if you need to change one independently from the other.

It also lacks the ability to select parts of your picture and drag them around on the layer, which is where I use GIMP.
The cutiemark for example, I didn't draw that one in the perspective you see on the pic but actually completely separate from the pony, then opened the picture of the pony in GIMP and added the cutiemark on a new layer, selected it and moved, rotated and stretched it to fit the perspective and then saved the result.
That's what I use GIMP for, but it's also quite useful when you want to apply filters or effects.
BTW, shopping the Applejack-image onto the orange tractor a few pages ago was also done in GIMP...

As for how long it took me; well, I always liked to draw and with a proper graphics-tablet it's really only a matter of getting used to 'not drawing something where you draw it'... I did have a bit of experience with image-editing though as I used to create screenshots for Trackmania-tracks I built quite a while back...

Even so, I really started with digital art (digital drawings) about two months ago with the first few sketches I posted here.
Learning how to properly use more complex programs like GIMP took more time and looking up quite a few tutorials though.

That said, learning to draw ponies took me about to months but that really depends on how much time you have and how easily you get sidetracked. (for me it was: rather not so much and a lot :D ) There are sources to my wisdom though and I'm basically still practicing so I look them up quite frequently.
The first two links were given to my by Aresye, the third one is a quite helpful pic I just stumbled across today:
http://www.dragoart....comment_section
http://www.reddit.co...osebuilding_in/
http://vertrev.devia...-pony-201791308

Anyway, if you're thinking about starting with this yourself, I'd suggest you get a graphics-tablet (there should be plenty decent ones for about 50$), you could try to draw with your mouse, but I find that almost impossible. You'll also have to look up a few tutorials on how to properly use the programs.

Anyway, you should also have a look at the following, it's a tutorial made by by a girl who helped me a little with the cutiemark for that pegasus.
http://slightinsanit...llery/#/d594gnh
There are links to her video-tutorial in the description of the linked picture, she has developed her own style of drawing ponies, but it's really interesting to see how she draws and what techniques she uses... I for one learned a whole lot about possible ways to use the different tools in MyPaint just by watching her...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tanki, actually I didn't touch MWLL for quite some time, but I know what you mean, spent a lot of time on that map, not always playing though :) Cryengine is awesome :P

However, that pretty much concludes this wall-o-text, hope it was interesting to read for you, Samaritan.

Quick someone post ponies to compensate for so much text!!!
I don'T want to make my post even longer...

Edited by Sesambrot, 06 August 2012 - 11:54 AM.

#6307 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

My common response to haters:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Zervziel, 06 August 2012 - 12:43 PM.

#6308 Fuzzyhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEquestria *Applelieface*

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

the last thing you want to see
Posted Image

its so well made

#6309 Sesambrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

Oh god, the Stare!!!
It makes me feel guilty even though I've done nothing wrong....... or have I???......... please forgive me!.............. :D

#6310 Sesambrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

Posted Image

#6311 Fabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

View Postcreepter, on 06 August 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

nonono

The anti thread is right over here
http://mwomercs.com/...ti-pony-thread/

It will be in your best interest to post there since people have had their accounts banned for trolling/flaming this thread. We are here with the Moderators blessing provided we keep all the pony stuff confined to this one thread.

Edited by Fabe, 06 August 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#6312 Sporkosophy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

Must you keep posting the recruitment posters that subsequently get deleted Fros?

Posted Image

#6313 CandidAstrius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

so...this!

and also this....

enjoy!

#6314 Spiralcrisis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 207 posts
  • LocationI'm not sure I want to know.

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

Posted Image
Just found this thought you all would enjoy it.

#6315 CandidAstrius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

Oh my, and this...

#6316 Damon Howe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic - Exact Loc. Unknown

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

View PostSporkosophy, on 05 August 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

Posted Image

OMG WHAT THE HECK IS--

Oh, wait...it's just Spork. Carry on.

#6317 Spiralcrisis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 207 posts
  • LocationI'm not sure I want to know.

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

Testing Imgur sharing

Posted Image

#6318 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:32 AM

View PostDamon Howe, on 06 August 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

OMG WHAT THE HECK IS--

Oh, wait...it's just Spork. Carry on.

Oh yes, spork can be quite confusing that way...

#6319 Xyph3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 213 posts
  • LocationRight behind you, in his AC/20 Raven

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:14 AM

i don´t know if you guys already know Eric Calderone, if not: shame on you, for he´s one hell of a Talent..
(and of course, i selected just the right song for this thread ;) )

#6320 Fuzzyhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEquestria *Applelieface*

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:37 AM

View PostSporkosophy, on 06 August 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

Must you keep posting the recruitment posters that subsequently get deleted Fros?

Posted Image

actually that arent recruting posters, that are advertising for the houses in case they need a merc group

mhh jelly fluttershy

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users