Please Remove Kdr

Gameplay Metagame

471 replies to this topic

#181 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

Damage soaked up is also a helpful statistic bcs someone has to soak up damage at times.

#182 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

KDR doesnt need to be removed it just needs to be reworked.

Assists should be completely removed from the game. Instead the game should award fractional kills based on the % damage you did to the destroyed mech. If you did 90% of the damage you should get 0.9 kills. If you did 10% of the damage you should get 0.1 kills.

That way KDR would include assists and would be a more accurate representation of your kills to deaths.

Example:
Assuming your KDR is fresh, if you did 90% of the damage to two mechs and 80% of the damage to a third mech, and then died 2 times your KDR would be 0.9 + 0.9 + 0.8 / 2 = 1.3

KDR serves no purpose other than being the one that killed (or stole) most opponents

Only because KDR doesnt factor in assists. My solution fixes that.

Edited by Khobai, 20 April 2014 - 08:18 AM.

#183 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:29 AM

View PostKhobai, on 20 April 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

KDR doesnt need to be removed it just needs to be reworked.

Assists should be completely removed from the game. Instead the game should award fractional kills based on the % damage you did to the destroyed mech. If you did 90% of the damage you should get 0.9 kills. If you did 10% of the damage you should get 0.1 kills.

That way KDR would include assists and would be a more accurate representation of your kills to deaths.

Example:
Assuming your KDR is fresh, if you did 90% of the damage to two mechs and 80% of the damage to a third mech, and then died 2 times your KDR would be 0.9 + 0.9 + 0.8 / 2 = 1.3

That would have it's own problems as well. Let's say player A blasts away at a Banshee E, deals 300 damage and completely destroys the arms that have no weapons, and takes off some armor from the legs. Then player B headshots the said Banshee. According to the New and Improved KDR: player A's contribution was 7-10 times more worthy than player B's. That obviously wouldn't have anything to do with real events, and in this case could reward a bad player with relatively nice ratios.

#184 Mordin Ashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:32 AM

View PostKyynele, on 20 April 2014 - 08:29 AM, said:

That would have it's own problems as well. Let's say player A blasts away at a Banshee E, deals 300 damage and completely destroys the arms that have no weapons, and takes off some armor from the legs. Then player B headshots the said Banshee. According to the New and Improved KDR: player A's contribution was 7-10 times more worthy than player B's. That obviously wouldn't have anything to do with real events, and in this case could reward a bad player with relatively nice ratios.

We already have something like that in game, and its average XP per match. My second most favorite stat that measures how many of all those tasks in battle did the person achieve. Very informative to compare!

#185 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

That would have it's own problems as well. Let's say player A blasts away at a Banshee E, deals 300 damage and completely destroys the arms that have no weapons, and takes off some armor from the legs. Then player B headshots the said Banshee

That can be fixed simply by weighting damage based on location. Make damage done to the head or center torso worth more than damage done to arms or legs.

#186 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

View PostMordin Ashe, on 20 April 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

We already have something like that in game, and its average XP per match. My second most favorite stat that measures how many of all those tasks in battle did the person achieve. Very informative to compare!

Unfortunately XP per match seems to count in Premium time and other bonuses (I think it might even count in the 2x daily bonuses?) which makes it really hard if not useless to compare.

#187 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostWolfways, on 20 April 2014 - 04:22 AM, said:

RP books or novels?
Actually it doesn't matter, i love them all :lol:

Fianna ragabash forever! :rolleyes:

Bone gnawer baby! I forget which the gibbous moon is ragabash?

#188 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

@ I approve of removal of KDR

Actually I would like to see this change

Assist and Kills removed

"Mech Destroyed" bonus replace both, about same reward as an assist
Improve XP and Cbill reward for amount of damage you contributed to the kill of the target.

This way, kill steals become irrelevant and the person who contributed most to the "Mech Destroyed" gets most of the xp/cbills

Also, revamp'd salvage needs to happen.

Edited by mwhighlander, 20 April 2014 - 09:32 AM.

#189 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 20 April 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

I've yet to see any RPG system produce good novels. Not even Shadowrunor D&D.

They are out there. Dragon lance chronicles are top notch as was the follow up trilogy. And battletech had a lot of good, though not great novels. Every whitewolf or 40k book I ever tried was trash though.

#190 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

Players such as myself like to keep track of how many Global and per Mech kills / deaths. Keep those stats in game.

#191 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 April 2014 - 02:02 PM, said:

I thought it was pretty specific. There was a clear strategy to the last mech shutting down, because they were going to win by caps, regardless. Engaging in battle at that point, could only run the risk of LOSING the match.

Some people are here to shoot stuff up. Some of us are here to do that, but winning is the first priority, not padding our stats. Too many people refuse to make the sacrifice play to secure the win (or even risk their stats, so they just turtle) because of their bloody stats. I've taken the bullet by being the guy to step on cap to stop a cap win even though I knew I was dead meat for doing it.... but because I knew I could delay them long enough for my team to arrive and fight them off for the (possible) win. I don't see many others who will.

This I agree with, win (within the rules) at all costs...

#192 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 April 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

They are out there. Dragon lance chronicles are top notch as was the follow up trilogy. And battletech had a lot of good, though not great novels. Every whitewolf or 40k book I ever tried was trash though.

Never have time to read any RPG novels because I'm too busy playing tabletop RPGs and it takes up all my spare bulk time (as opposed to an hour here and there for MWO). Pathfinder right now. Numenara, Call of Cthulhu, Star Wars and A Time of War in the pipeline...

#193 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 April 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

Bone gnawer baby! I forget which the gibbous moon is ragabash?

New moon=ragabash <Me irl :lol:
Crescent moon=theurge
Half moon=philodox
Gibbous moon=galliard
Full moon=ahroun

Edited by Wolfways, 20 April 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#194 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:43 PM

i don't think Elo will really matter when CW comes out
planets will be fought by small communities rather than puggies.

#195 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:53 AM

View PostRoland, on 17 April 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

Better players have higher KDR's... Because it turns out, that if you're good and you are able to deal precise damage where you want... then you get more kills.

If you have a KDR less than 1, it means you are bad.

That you get more kills does not make you a better player. I have helped my team win by biting the bullet, wading into the enemy host in my Battlemaster and softening up the brawlers a bit. 4-7 Assists, no kills the team wins. After this weekend my KDR went from 1.3 down to a 0.45 but My win loss is 27/20. So a 57% win rate. Better to die and win than die and lose.

#196 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:02 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 April 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

I found that I liked the DL Novels so much more than the TT game! In the games its our party of 4-7 characters and below is a army of 50-300 Draconians... What do you do?

In the Novels... The Death of Strum had me crying like a baby... as a Marine! BTW I am a car carrying member of the Caramon fan club. Seriously I had it in m wallet for GenCon's Bavarian Killer Breakfast with the Hickamans back in '09 just to see if it could get me a pass from dying... It didn't work, I was told my Margret Weis I should have used the Raist card, she would have helped me.

#197 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:17 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 21 April 2014 - 03:53 AM, said:

That you get more kills does not make you a better player. I have helped my team win by biting the bullet, wading into the enemy host in my Battlemaster and softening up the brawlers a bit. 4-7 Assists, no kills the team wins. After this weekend my KDR went from 1.3 down to a 0.45 but My win loss is 27/20. So a 57% win rate. Better to die and win than die and lose.

If you're running a negative K/D then your team is winning despite of you, not because of you.

A negative K/D ratio is always bad. There is no benefit to you dying. Your dying never helps your team.

Having people shoot at you can be helpful.. but that just reinforces how dying is not good... Because once you're dead you're no longer putting fire down range, and you're not longer absorbing hits from the enemy.

Killing enemy mechs is always good. Dying is always bad.

#198 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:22 AM

View PostRoland, on 21 April 2014 - 05:17 AM, said:

If you're running a negative K/D then your team is winning despite of you, not because of you.

A negative K/D ratio is always bad. There is no benefit to you dying. Your dying never helps your team.

Having people shoot at you can be helpful.. but that just reinforces how dying is not good... Because once you're dead you're no longer putting fire down range, and you're not longer absorbing hits from the enemy.

Killing enemy mechs is always good. Dying is always bad.

So If I get 7-9 Assists I am not pulling my weight? I know most folks think that a high KDR is important, but it isn't. As to your perspective. If I die and the team wins and I get 3-4 more "Assists" after death... I still helped my team win even after I was no longer drawing fire r putting shots down range. I did my part for King and Country. I like Patton as a commander, making a sacrifice is sometimes necessary to ensure the team win.

#199 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:30 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 21 April 2014 - 05:22 AM, said:

So If I get 7-9 Assists I am not pulling my weight? I know most folks think that a high KDR is important, but it isn't. As to your perspective. If I die and the team wins and I get 3-4 more "Assists" after death... I still helped my team win even after I was no longer drawing fire r putting shots down range. I did my part for King and Country. I like Patton as a commander, making a sacrifice is sometimes necessary to ensure the team win.

Assists can be misleading too. Tapping a mech with a laser for a second counts for an assist, and that isn't contributing very much.

The importance of KDR will vary from person to person, and almost always correlates with how competitive you are. And remember people, all the examples of artificially inflating your KDR are the exceptions, not the norm. Better players will have a higher KDR over hundreds of matches.

Edited by Roughneck45, 21 April 2014 - 05:34 AM.

#200 Errinovar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

K/D can be a useful measurement over a large number of matches in a particular chassis to gauge how you are doing when you combine it with your average damage per match, and your overall accuracy with the weapons you commonly use. It is even better if you track it with screenshots so you know your average assists per match. But these are only really useful if you are using them to analyze your behavior and how it works in the match, I think trying to use them to judge someone else solely by the numbers is only going to give you a small part of the story and since the stats we have are incomplete the information really isnt that great.

That said, epeen contests have always been popular. Particularly in FPS games. And nothing screams my epeen is bigger than yours than the old K/D ratio.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users