#61 Highlighter

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:27 AM

View PostPatrio Sioux Daltum, on 20 April 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

Yo, guys! I haven't done an RP here in a long time! Mind if I join?

Y'know, I was gonna get a Stone Rhino and arm it like a battleship, but I might just have to settle with the good ol' Merkava IX, if you guys can stand a tank.

Post a bio, and we probably have room. This is pre-Clan era, and I'm going to ask to stick with 'Mechs just so it'll keep things a bit simpler, if you don't mind.

@Dreadstar

Thanks, looks good!

@Joe Davion

Sounds fine. I was going to say "Crabs are pretty cool" but that somehow doesn't sound right. <_<

#62 Thom Frankfurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:33 AM

View PostHighlighter, on 23 April 2012 - 02:27 AM, said:

Sounds fine. I was going to say "Crabs are pretty cool" but that somehow doesn't sound right. <_<

LMAO!!! :P

#63 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:04 AM

Name: Orson Rhodes
Callsign: BlitzCrank
Date of Birth/Age: April 23rd, 2994 Age 50 Jojoken, Andurien, FWL
Current Mech: HER-2M Hermes II
House Affiliation: None
Military History: Been a mechwarrior for the past 30ish years, saw action against his fellow countrymen during the 4th SW and partook in the failed seccession of the Duchy of Andurien. Since the failed coupe he's turned mercenary and traveled across the IS a couple of times serving with different merc ops.
Physical Description: Talk and well muscled. With short buzzed greying hair and steely grey eyes. Leathery tan skin. Heavily scarred with a long scar across his forhead and another across the right side of his neck. Talks with a gravelly voice which one might think came from the scar. Burn marks on roughly 35 percent of his body. The guy just looks tough as nails. Now that I think about it, he looks like Gunnery Sergant Thomas Highway from 'Heartbreak Ridge.'
Open Background: Doesn't mind or try to hide who he is. He still wears his FWL uniform on special occasions (unless you have a uniform for your merc group)
Deep Background: A drunk who blames himself for living when so many of his comrades didn't or were executed for treason. Hates the MAC with a passion.

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 27 April 2012 - 03:00 AM.

#64 Highlighter

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

Sorry for the lack of posting everyone. Some RL stuff came up and I just haven't had the time and motivation to post. I'll have something posted tomorrow for sure. Sorry for the delay.

#65 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

Name: Nelson Tibbitz
Callsign: "The Worrier"
Role: Direct Fire Support
Date of Birth: 21 OCT 3008, 36 years old
Planet of Birth: Marduk / Draconis March - Federated Suns
-Appearance-
Picture:
Posted Image
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 155 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Hair Style: Unkept, medium length
Eye Color: Brown, wears glasses
Gunnery Skill - Veteran
Piloting Skill - Regular
-Mech-
Mech Class:Heavy
Mech Type: JM6 JagerMech
Weapon Loadout:
R Arm: AC/2, PPC
R Torso: Medium laser
L Torso: Medium laser
L Arm: AC/2, PPC
Mech Modifications:
two additional heat sinks
two additional tons of armor

Background: Nelson was born to a working class family on Marduk,an important industrial world on the Federated Suns border with the Draconis Combine. Both of his parents were employed by Marduk Industries, and Nelson was unintentionally awarded a scholarship to the Robinson Military Academy meant for a distant family member due to an administrative error. A small and sickly child who was more into books than physical activity, Nelson was urged by his parents to take advantage of the situation, hoping it would break him out of his shell and turn him into a man, and reluctantly he was sent off to the academy.

Nelson scored abysmall marks on most physical and reflexive testing, though he had a keen eye for evaluating the enemy and exploiting weaknesses in their formations. Nelson was extremely conservative in simulations; he spent much longer deciding his course of action, which earned him the nickname "The Worrier" -- he would become overwhelmed with his tactical options and would freeze in action. He graduated in 3027 towards the bottom of his class in field exercises, but in the top percentile in academics. Nelson's first assignment was to the garrison on his homeworld of Marduk. When Hanse Davion announced the Capellan Confederation as his wedding gift to his new bride, Melissa Steiner, Nelson believed he lucked out, as his unit was nowhere near the Capellan front and they weren't deployed to the invasion. Nelson spent the opening year of the Fourth Succession War conducting as little training as he could get away with, preferring to ride physical profiles that got him out of most field problems while he spent time with his nose in books as his unit was out training.

Things changed, however, when the Draconis Combine invaded. No doctor's note could get Nelson out of actual combat, which he was hardly prepared for. Through luck Nelson's unit managed to retreat off world as the DCMS regiments marched over Marduk. His family, however, was not so lucky. Shortly after his dropship lifted off, Nelson learned that most of his family was captured by the invaders and forced into a reeducation camp. Nelson's unit was rotated from the front for rest and refit, which he hoped would last the rest of the war. He had lost his family and home, and felt hopeless and defeated.

It did. Nelson spent the next nine years with lackluster reviews, being assigned from the line to support roles. He found a niche as a unit supply clerk with the 10th Deneb Light Cavalry, thanks to his aptitude in record keeping and ability to find whatever the unit needed. Though still a MechWarrior, Nelson used his duties in supply to get out of as much field training as he could, which his commanders overlooked as he was such a competent quartermaster. However, the War of 3039 found him back in combat, once again on his homeworld of Marduk.

The initial campaign was extremely successful; the 6th Benjamin Regulars resorted to near suicide tactics, and even the mediocre and extremely conservative Nelson managed to inflict heavy losses on the DCMS forces. Nelson petitioned his commander to send a force to liberate Federated Suns loyalists the Kuritans still had in custody, but the request was denied and his unit instead was ordered to inflict as much damage as possible to the 'Mech production facilities on the planet -- the same ones his parents worked at before. Little did he know, his parents weren't in the loyalist camps; they had much earlier before denounced their loyalty to the Federated Commonwealth and retook their former jobs at the plant. They were among the dozens of workers that were killed as the 10th Deneb Light Cavalry and 1st Robinson Rangers reduced as much of the facility as they could to slag before Prince Hanse Davion ordered them off world.

Soon after the conclusion of the War of 3039, Nelson mustered out of the AFFC. He drifted for a short while before realizing he was without a family or a home. He tried to reenlist with the AFFC but was denied due to his psychological profile of depression and PTSD - his quiet, bookish persona hid a firey rage that came out in uncontrolled bursts. Denied, he turned to Outreach and found the first mercenary outfit that would take him and signed up. He has been with the Blue Suns for several months but has yet to become accepted due to his attempts to weasel his way out of duties and stand-offish nature.

Edited by DocBach, 26 April 2012 - 10:23 PM.

#66 Charles Martel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationQuentin. Wish you were here Hanse?

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

View PostHighlighter, on 23 April 2012 - 02:27 AM, said:

Sounds fine. I was going to say "Crabs are pretty cool" but that somehow doesn't sound right. Posted Image

Reminds me a t-shirt I want to make........

"ComStar's Crab Shack: Techno-religion, Shenanigans, and Crabs"

Edited by Charles Martel, 24 April 2012 - 10:04 PM.

#67 Highlighter

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Okay, I've updated the roster:

Command Lance
Command One: Felix Maan - Undetermined 'Mech - (Highlighter)
Command Two: John "Mac" McQuillen - Atlas - (Dreadstar)
Command Three: NPC
Command Four: Nelson Tibbitz - Jagermech - DocBach

Aerospace
Aero One: Isis Sinclair - Stingray - (Pryde, if he shows up)
Aero Two: NPC

Alpha Lance
Alpha One: Kurt Mauser - Cyclops - (Janitor01)
Alpha Two: Cornelius - Marauder - (Charles Martel)
Alpha Three: Joe Kurtz - Blackjack - (Joe Davion 86)
Alpha Four: Orson Rhodes - Hermes II - Thom Frankfurt

Bravo Lance
Bravo One: Hanyit Greyhame - Blackjack - (Hanyit Greyhame)
Bravo Two: Barret Sender - Vindicator - (MacabreDerek)
Bravo Three: Chris Wolf - Warhammer - (Guardian Wolf)
Bravo Four: Xinaoen - Wolfhound - (Xinaoen)

#68 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

View PostHighlighter, on 25 April 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

Okay, I've updated the roster:

Command Lance
Command Three: NPC

Aerospace

Alpha Lance

Bravo Lance

There was a hope to see Kurt and Barret in the same unit, lol. Still, I think this is a strong line-up and makes fair amounts of sense. Look forward to what you have planned for us Highlighter, keep up the great work :rolleyes:

#69 Highlighter

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:44 AM

Oh. Hrm. That may not be a bad idea, though the Cyclops seems more suited to a support lance given its loadout (lots of light ACs). But, if you and others don't mind, we could always swap Kurt and Hanyit, and Cornelius and Xinaoen. Or something. /shrug

#70 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Naw, it's fine the way it is. Besides, for as good as the drama would be, it would be holding the team back, and that's what a unit commander is trying to avoid, and make the operation go as smooth as silk.

#71 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

View PostHighlighter, on 26 April 2012 - 02:44 AM, said:

Oh. Hrm. That may not be a bad idea, though the Cyclops seems more suited to a support lance given its loadout (lots of light ACs). But, if you and others don't mind, we could always swap Kurt and Hanyit, and Cornelius and Xinaoen. Or something. /shrug

The Cyclops is actually much more suited for a command/assault role - it's a fast 'Mech for its size with an AC/20, LRM-10, SRM-4, and two medium lasers. Dismally thin armor, though. If I was going to set up the unit MTOE, it'd look something like this:

Headquarters Lance (Command/Recon) -- the lightweight, faster 'Mechs give the HQ an eye on the battlefield with the Atlas providing a "bodyguard" for the CO

Aerospace

Alpha Lance (Battle) -- All of the 'Mechs in this lance are set up for direct combat, with heavy weapons systems and slower movement profiles

Bravo Lance (Support) -- This lance features 'mechs with long range direct fire weaponry, at a company level this unit doesn't have anything organic to provide indirect fire, but the AC/2s employed by every one of these 'Mechs is the longest ranged weapons in the era.

#72 Highlighter

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Well, I put together the roster based on preferences for characters being in the same lance rather than the actual 'Mech assignments. You're right, had I gone with the 'Mech assignments as priority, the roster would look different, and probably very similar to what you've got. But, I figure, since we're not "playing" against anyone, unit makeup is less of an issue while character interaction is more important. :blink:

I put the Cyclops in the "support" lance because Kurt is running a custom set up with multiple AC/2s, unless he's changed that since posting his bio.

#73 guardian wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Also if anyone is catching the dogtag reference, I think I might use it as a plot motivation for later, when the **** really gets bad.

As in, plot of what might happen to Chris...

Edited by guardian wolf, 26 April 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#74 Charles Martel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationQuentin. Wish you were here Hanse?

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

View PostDocBach, on 26 April 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

The Cyclops is actually much more suited for a command/assault role - it's a fast 'Mech for its size with an AC/20, LRM-10, SRM-4, and two medium lasers. Dismally thin armor, though. If I was going to set up the unit MTOE, it'd look something like this:

Headquarters Lance (Command/Recon) -- the lightweight, faster 'Mechs give the HQ an eye on the battlefield with the Atlas providing a "bodyguard" for the CO

Aerospace

Alpha Lance (Battle) -- All of the 'Mechs in this lance are set up for direct combat, with heavy weapons systems and slower movement profiles

Bravo Lance (Support) -- This lance features 'mechs with long range direct fire weaponry, at a company level this unit doesn't have anything organic to provide indirect fire, but the AC/2s employed by every one of these 'Mechs is the longest ranged weapons in the era.

Oddly, Cornelius's Marauder is a MAD-3D which sits between the two classifications as it's undoubtedly a combat heavy, but the large laser and two PPCs give it long range bite.

Edited by Charles Martel, 26 April 2012 - 11:17 PM.

#75 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

View PostHighlighter, on 26 April 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

I put the Cyclops in the "support" lance because Kurt is running a custom set up with multiple AC/2s, unless he's changed that since posting his bio.

Not to be a stickler, but the Cyclops posted is loaded out with weapons that won't exist in the universe for almost 20 more years before they're even in the prototype stage of development.

I'd definitely put the Marauder 3D in the "battle" category. I also switched some things up with Tibbitz's 'Mech -- I figured someone with a background in procurement would have better equipment then everyone else, which has been the case I've seen in the Army; for some reason, supply sergeants have all the coolest stuff stockpiled but they never give it out to us who actually leave the wire!

I'll describe it better and provide some backstory in it in character after I've had my morning coffee fix.

JagerMech JM6-TIBBITZ

Mass: 65 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Era: Age of War/Star League
Tech Rating/Era Availability: D/C-E-D
Production Year: 3036
Cost: 5,503,025 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,158

Chassis: Kallon Type XII Standard
Power Plant: Magna 260 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Kallon Royalstar Standard Armor
Armament:
2 Parti-Kill Heavy Cannon PPCs
2 Magna Mk II Medium Lasers
2 Mydron Class-D Autocannon/2s
Manufacturer: Kallon Industries
Primary Factory: Talon
Communications System: Garret T-11a
Targeting and Tracking System: Garret D2j

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Standard 104 points 6.50
Engine: Fusion Engine 260 13.50
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 12 2.00
Heat Sink Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT
Gyro: Standard 3.00
Cockpit: Standard 3.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA R: SH+UA
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 128 8.00

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 21 22
Center Torso (rear) 5
L/R Torso 15 18
L/R Torso (rear) 3
L/R Arm 10 11
L/R Leg 15 14

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Medium Laser RT 3 1 1.00
Medium Laser LT 3 1 1.00
PPC RA 10 3 7.00
Autocannon/2 RA 1 1 6.00
PPC LA 10 3 7.00
Autocannon/2 LA 1 1 6.00
@AC/2 (45) CT - 1 1.00
Free Critical Slots: 38

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 4 Points: 12
4 2 2 2 0 3 2 Structure: 5
Special Abilities: SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA

Edited by DocBach, 27 April 2012 - 09:52 AM.

#76 Highlighter

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

View PostDocBach, on 27 April 2012 - 07:43 AM, said:

Not to be a stickler, but the Cyclops posted is loaded out with weapons that won't exist in the universe for almost 20 more years before they're even in the prototype stage of development.

Oh, I'm well aware of that; I just chalked them up as your typical light AC. ;)

As for the Marauder, it's definitely a "battle" class 'Mech. It can certainly fulfill both roles, but its heavy weapons loadout give it terrific punch at medium ranges.

#77 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

Played around with the concept of Kurt's Cyclops, this is what I came up with that was a legal design based on the time frame:

Cyclops

Mass: 90 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Era: Succession Wars
Tech Rating/Era Availability: D/X-E-D
Production Year: 3044
Cost: 8,776,860 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,168

Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Armament:
1 LRM-10
2 Medium Lasers
3 Autocannon/2s

Equipment Type Rating Mass
Internal Structure: Standard 138 points 9.00
Engine: Fusion Engine 360 33.00
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 12 2.00
Gyro: Standard 4.00
Cockpit: Standard 3.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 160 10.00

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 29 30
Center Torso (rear) 11
L/R Torso 19 20
L/R Torso (rear) 8
L/R Arm 15 10
L/R Leg 19 17

Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
LRM-10 CT 4 2 5.00
3 Autocannon/2s RT 3 3 18.00
Medium Laser RA 3 1 1.00
Medium Laser LA 3 1 1.00
@AC/2 (135) RT - 3 3.00
@LRM-10 (12) LT - 1 1.00
Free Critical Slots: 36

- Changed the Rotary and HV AC/2s to standards, each with a ton of ammo; kept them all in the right torso where the AC/20 was to keep the modifications more simple for technicians to work on. I imagine the three barrels of the guns looks something like a gattling gun, or Rotary AC/2.

- Guardian ECM was restricted by the era, it was extinct during the Age of War and was not yet rediscovered by the Inner Sphere

- Engine speed was already at the maximum allowed for the chassis

#78 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

Anybody watch Game of Thrones on HBO? The picture Xin put up and how his character acts makes me think of the Littlefinger character everytime I read his parts, which sucks because I don't think he should have an English accent. ;)

#79 Xinaoen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 382 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

Well, that moves Game of Thrones a few spaces up on my to-do list. Heh,

From the Youtube clips that I was able to find, that seems like a comparison that I can be happy with. I liked this quote from the actor: "He's a schemer, dreamer, double-crosser, with a steadfast resolution never to be bettered."

A more typical character for me would be a happy-go-lucky pirate - a scoundrel with a heart of gold, closer to Haynit's or Mac's personalities. I felt like doing something that was a departure from my usual style, so I came up with this character who's pompous, pretentious, and (above all else) meticulous. I picture him as being almost effeminate, in the sense that he's preoccupied with keeping up appearances; he's the kind of person who can be charming when he wants to be, but doesn't bother unless he's playing an angle. A wolf in sheep's clothing, in other words.

At any rate - given that he's Kuritan, I assume that Xin would've learned English as a second language, and there's no reason that it couldn't have been the Queen's English. I'm perfectly alright with him having a posh English accent, if it'll make you happy. ;)

#80 Iron Heart Dragon

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

I'll apply for the role of Command Three.

Name: Murdoc Doyle
Callsign: Doc

Murdoc Doyle is a former officer who served with the 7th FedCom RCT during most of his career. He was honorably discharged from the military at the age of 30 to spend time with his wife and newborn twins. Unfortunetly, he lost his family in an incident that he refuses to discuss and spent the last two years in a depressed state. He has recently felt the drive to get back into the cockpit of a mech again, so he used his life savings to purchase a somewhat battered Cyclops-HQ and sought out employment as a mercenary.

Mech: Cyclops CP-10-HQ with dual cockpit
Potential role: Communications officer

Edited by Iron Heart Dragon, 28 April 2012 - 06:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users