#121 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostBattlecruiser, on 24 February 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

sounds to me like somebody is mad about WORDS! words mean nothing, they are completely void of substance. They're only worth what we perceive them to be worth.

news flash, nobody cares. Get over it you allegedly emotionally fragile attention seeking man child.

oh and as long as i'm being generous, here's another word of advice.

u mad, bro? ;)

#122 Bren McGuire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

To be honest, this is the most polite community I have seen in the last 10 years of gaming. Rooting out (or re-educating) that rogue 10% is actually a possibility here.

#123 OuttaAmmo NoWai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 229 posts
  • LocationNot at a macbook

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

View PostCferre, on 24 February 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

If someone needs a wiki to learn how to shrug off insults, they must have had an extremely sheltered childhood.

#124 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostPoisonWolf, on 24 February 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

dude, you had to go there....and yes there are those who haven't developed strong social skills and I'm sure alot of us here would feel sorry for someone like that but online gaming is NOT, I say again, is NOT the place for someone requiring emotional support. My God! (bet that just offended someone) How far are we going to go with this not trying to offend everyone in society bullsh!t....and I'll let ya's in on a little secret, ;) it can't be done.

And I completely and utterly agree.

There is a difference between 'not trying to offend someone' though, and flat out attacking someone.

"OMG YOUR A FAIRY" or "YOU SUCK AT LIFE" or "YOU ARE SO **** AT THIS GAME" etc are part and parcel with... well, living. There will always be a bit of that around. Hell, I live in Australia, where we collectively refer to a group of people as 'WANKERS'. I also spent far too many years sleeping in the dirt as a soldier, and one of the greatest epiphanies that gave me about the human race in general is that people outside the military really don't know how to take criticism, and think that every bit of criticism sent their way is a personal attack.

*SIGH* - "I'm not mad at you petal, i'm mad at your mistake. Here, have a tissue, and another. And another. There there"

People taking offense at 'non-pc' remarks or whatever, well, let them.

Maybe my explain-fu sucks today, but all I'm really trying to get at is there is a difference between smack talk and abuse, and abuse should not be tolerated.

#125 Manny Rhyde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 142 posts

i dont get why it's such a big problem when in-game chat fades after a few seconds. If it happens on the forums at least you have physical proof that everyone can see unless a mod removes saied post. Dont bother reporting it unless you get continued harassment via in-client chat box.

#126 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

View PostBren McGuire, on 24 February 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

To be honest, this is the most polite community I have seen in the last 10 years of gaming. Rooting out (or re-educating) that rogue 10% is actually a possibility here.

It's the old school presence. Good sportsmanship and a fun community was always part of the game, even back when some of us were kids twenty years ago. We always laughed at the hotheads back then. We still do. Look at all the people raging over someone asking for decency. Who's really taking them seriously?

#127 Cferre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 290 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

View PostOuttaAmmo NoWai, on 24 February 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

If someone needs a wiki to learn how to shrug off insults, they must have had an extremely sheltered childhood.

Apparently, some people have. Really sad.

Edited by Cferre, 24 February 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#128 Tickdoff Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostBren McGuire, on 24 February 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

The City of Heroes gang was the best community ever to grace an MMO. That does not mean that MWOs is bad, but CoH was about as good as it can ever get.

Edited by Tickdoff Tank, 24 February 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#129 OuttaAmmo NoWai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostTesunie, on 24 February 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

Are people seriously defending using foul, insulating language and behavior in the game? Are people seriously defending hate talk and racial slurs? Even in America, you can get into trouble (called Harassment) for saying a racial slur. And there are things called Hate Crimes, as well as mental abuse. You know, the Freedom of Speech country? Even in that country, you still can't just say anything without any repercussion. Same should be in this game. Your freedom of speech only goes as far. Even on the Internet.

(Guild Wars 2 bans people for such language. Just an FYI.)

Did you SERIOUSLY just try to ban free speech on the internet?
Whole governments have been trying to do that - and failing - since the internet's inception

#130 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostMick Mars, on 24 February 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

Already lost people to suicide. I realized that it was his own fault and no one else's. I have no pity for anybody who is so fragile that they can't deal with life, and if they are that fragile, they should be nowhere near a computer.

It's the victims fault? No, surely you don't believe that, no one is that monstrous.

#131 Royalewithcheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

View PostMoromillas, on 24 February 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

It's the victims fault? No, surely you don't believe that, no one is that monstrous.

People trying to look edgy on the internet, man. Not quite sure why.

#132 -Natural Selection-

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

civil rights, kkk, emotional hugs, offending minorities.. Did I wake to the next election?

#133 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 24 February 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

The City of Heroes gang was the best community ever to grace an MMO. That does not mean that MWOs is bad, but CoH was about as good as it can ever get.

you want a real nightmare community? go play dc universe. everybody is an elitist that won't group with you unless you have full T4. the endgame content and repeat tokens encourages stupidity and discourages actually learning the content, instead people prefer to rush through it with the best gear possible, and then pvp by the mailboxes.

Meanwhile these same people manage at least one wipe on raids that have been around almost as long as the game, like batcave inner sanctum, and fortress of solitude 1,2, and 3. how they manage this in full T4 no less, when the gimmicks are telegraphed and very predictable is quite frankly, astounding to me.

pgi, you should take this as a warning. if your community is not encouraged to grow strong and intelligent, you will wind up with a mass of idiots that will drive away potential customers, and will gradually leave once they find a better pasture to eat grass in, leaving your financial model no choice but to tighten and strangle the remaining players until their time investment is no longer worth the strangling.

I mean, look at bioware. lol.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 24 February 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#134 Mick Mars

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 165 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA area

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

View PostMoromillas, on 24 February 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

Who's the "victim"? The suicider? Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard lol. How can you do something to yourself and be a victim of that action?

Darwin award FTW baby!

View PostRoyalewithcheese, on 24 February 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

People trying to look edgy on the internet, man. Not quite sure why.

Not trying to look edgy, just how I am. Don't like it? Too bad.

#135 Sears

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 973 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Everyone has different ideas of what is offensive and what isn't. This includes IGP/PGI. They'll look at your report and decide whatever was said is worth following up. I can imagine most of the time it isn't.

#136 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

View PostSears, on 24 February 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

Everyone has different ideas of what is offensive and what isn't. This includes IGP/PGI. They'll look at your report and decide whatever was said is worth following up. I can imagine most of the time it isn't.

pgi will only act in their own interests. they are a business, and this is their private property. therefore it is only their definition that matters, and most likely their definition revolves solely around dealing with potential deterrents for financial gain.

as the game is still in beta, enforcement is rather lax on the little things like language. I have no doubt that enforcement will strengthen as the game becomes more attractive to potential players in the future.

tl;dr: I'm against customers misbehaving enough to be bad for business in the owner's definition of the phrase, but it's also beta and they more than likely have more important things to worry about, like building an attractive experience.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 24 February 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#137 Haegir

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Lol is this OP serious? It's the internet bro, cry more.

#138 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

View PostGhost Bear, on 24 February 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

being racist and such is one thing.. reporting people for swearing is another.

I don't think most of us are talking about an occasional curse. We are talking about people being down right rude, insulting, and spewing out sewage waste from their... fingers? The people who say hurtful things with the intent to hurt, and who bring Race, Religion or some other prejudice (Hating on them, not just talking about it). It's be like, someone finding out you are of African decent, and they go on and on insulting you and degrading you just because of that. (Like certain words we all know that are a racial slur.)

A swear. Whatever. I wished they wouldn't but it doesn't bother me. Calling me a ******, a ****-**** or a ******************************* would be unacceptable. Basically, anything the forums block out, the game should to. And going around those blocks should be an offense worth at least a warning or something.

(*'s were randomly added in. But I hope you get the point.)

#139 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostOuttaAmmo NoWai, on 24 February 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

Did you SERIOUSLY just try to ban free speech on the internet?
Whole governments have been trying to do that - and failing - since the internet's inception

These servers, and this game belong to Piranha, and as such it's their call as to who can and can't access their servers. If you think freedom of speech factors into that, you're an *****. Freedom of speech does not permit you to impose on someone else's private property.

#140 OuttaAmmo NoWai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

View PostMoromillas, on 24 February 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

These servers, and this game belong to Piranha, and as such it's their call as to who can and can't access their servers. If you think freedom of speech factors into that, you're an *****. Freedom of speech does not permit you to impose on someone else's private property.

Pfft hahahaha now you're using the "internet = IRL" argument.
Lemme guess, if I pirate some music on bittorrent, an orphanage explodes?

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users