419 replies to this topic

#361 Rauchsauger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

View PostDegeneratePervert, on 25 February 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

Is this thing still going? You seriously think a whining thread full of white knights will get everyone on the internet to use nice language, just for you?

"I JUST CAN'T GET THE BLOOD OUT OF THIS STONE NO MATTER HOW HARD I SQUEEZE!" ~ OP

Maybe we just want PGI to step the **** up and set the house rules.
If you really think that why do you even bother posting here?
Afraid PGI will set house rules and then would have to behave like in real life?

Edited by Rauchsauger, 25 February 2013 - 06:39 AM.

#362 Penance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

View PostLubalin, on 24 February 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

I see players using racial slurs and slurs against sexual orientation regularly.If you do use such words, you're on notice. I screenshot and report it every time. However, I still see the same players in game later. I'm starting to notice a trend. The policy on this needs to be made more clear to players, and we need better reporting, chat filtering, and blocking tools in-game.

I've voiced concerns about imbalances, and that's one thing. But if the company that manages this game refuses to police this, I will quit. And I will send screenshots to every major gaming site I can find with hopes they'll pick up the story.

I'm not posting them here because I don't want to name and shame.

Something needs to be done about this. We as a community need to band together against this. It's disgusting.

It's almost funny at this point. I've seen threads like this in every game I play..I simply cannot fathom that people are so offended by "bad, offending words" in video games by players, it's almost as if they have never ever never ever never ever stepped foot outside, watched a movie, or TV.

I'm OK with a language filter. Something bothers you OK, I don't understand it, but fine, it bothers you, so put a filter in it. "people will bypass it", then they bypass it.

The reality is, if something is "said" and lets be honest, this is an anonymous medium, everything is nameless and faceless, so a person is told something and gets so offended by it, there are a few things that need to happen here in my opinion, (since this is a thread that appears in every game):

1- Get therapy. if something bothers you so much, even something said by a nameless faceless entity, over the anonymous medium of the internet, you have obvious issues you need to deal with...not just OP, but anybody, seek a professional the****** and work **** out.

2- grow up. both parties involved

3- get thicker skin. It's nice you finally decided to venture out of your tiny little bubble into the world wide web. i don't know about the fantasy world you may reside in, but in reality people will say a lot of things. some things you may not like. Are you going to censor everybody? Maybe tell mommy someone said something bad on the internet and have her write a letter to your congressman?

4- learn how to be competitive...whether you like it or not, it's called trash talking, and it exists in EVERY competitive medium. There are many many levels of it, some acceptable, some borderline, but it's all trash talking nonetheless. learn how to talk back...it helps if you've ever played a sport..

5- I mentioned it's all anonymous right? I'm pretty sure I did, a few times. How do you know the source of said comment doesn't date farm animals on the weekend..or worse? You don't.

6- You do realize that the best they can do is put a filter in...which people will bypass, so the filter would have to account for that, and all the ways that your fragile sense-ability could be offended. "then ban the person"...they will simply make a new account. PGI needs to make money, preventing people from playing is not how to do so...and banning hardware IP's will be out of the question for them I'm sure.

7- it's human nature, get used to it. if you can't...see #1

Edited by Penance, 25 February 2013 - 06:33 AM.

#363 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

/block / ignore.

I dont like it either, but its only a problem because the current system is ********. reporting people just wastes employee time & resources that could easily be fixed with block/ignore/mute features

and yet, here on the forums the word r e t a r d e d is sensored.

lolol!!!

Edited by Colonel Pada Vinson, 25 February 2013 - 06:29 AM.

#364 Thirdstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:31 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 25 February 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

/block / ignore.

I dont like it either, but its only a problem because the current system is ********. reporting people just wastes employee time & resources that could easily be fixed with block/ignore/mute features

and yet, here on the forums the word r e t a r d e d is sensored.

lolol!!!

Now see this is a good point. We should ask the Devs to add a simple right click dropdown to mute and/or ignore a player. Nearly every other online game has this option.

#365 ChrisOrange

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 25 February 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

This thread should really be locked because there's an uttter lack of anything constructive at this point.

I reported the thread and I think a lot of people did by now. I guess someone brave should test whether or not the mods are actually online right now. Just put that old man pic up again should be a good test.

Edited by ChrisOrange, 25 February 2013 - 06:33 AM.

#366 Oy of MidWorld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts
  • LocationEutin Prime, -222.66:151.22

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:36 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 25 February 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

Now see this is a good point. We should ask the Devs to add a simple right click dropdown to mute and/or ignore a player. Nearly every other online game has this option.

I agree.

Edited by Oy of MidWorld, 25 February 2013 - 06:42 AM.

#367 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

I just want to add that cockerels go cocka doodle doo in the morning. German ones make a different sound. Like their frogs, which actually quack and not croak/ribbit.

#368 Jabilo

• Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

I would personally have zero tolerance whatsoever for swearing, insults, personal attacks and the rest of it - in game and on the forums.

One warning, then a temporary ban then a permanent one.

It is an open game with no age limit and PGI should take responsibility for what happens on their servers.

If people enjoy this sort of interaction (and many do) then they can get on their own TS servers and unit forums. That is cool with me if you like it, but don't force me to be a part of it.

It is a shame that people love to defend this sort of behaviour on the forums. It is also a reality that many of the people who defend it anonymously on a forum would not say boo to a goose in real life.

There are so many games where rudeness is part of the culture (i.e. pretty much every other game).

This is a game with a lot of older mature people - would it not be nice if we could have one game, just ONE where we have a culture of respect? And wouldn't it be nice if that game could be Mechwarrior Online?

#369 Max Liao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 695 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCrimson, Canopus IV

View Postelbloom, on 25 February 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

Oh wait but he called you a JOOOO, shouldn´t you and the whole team insta report him for racial slurring ? you can´t just shrug it off and walk away with a smile, can you ?? REALLY ??

You didn´t feel the need to come to the forums and feed us your tears ????

Posted Image

No, because I'm not a mental [vertically challenged person]. Either his words were true, in which case how can I cry foul to the truth? Or they were wrong and have no meaning to me. In either case I don't have the need or desire to defend myself from words that have no bearing on my ability to play the game.

Fragile egos are like hemophilia: What shouldn't hurt a normal person can kill them.

Sticks and stones and all of that ...

With that said, I'm a firm believer in a /ignore function. (See my sig.)

And the non sequitur that using foul language (which I DON'T use in-game chat), somehow makes one ignorant or unintelligent:
  • Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
  • Obviously I know (and can use) more words than you, so there's my non sequitur to counter yours.

#370 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:41 AM

View PostPenance, on 25 February 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

7- it's human nature, get used to it. if you can't...see #1

There's a great deal of inanity in this post that largely boils down to "Why care so much?"...

And it is precisely because human nature is moulded by his social environment. A social environment that is laisse faire about hate inevitably lets it breed and fester. A social environment that is proactive about reducing the incidence and ignorance of hateful divisive language in a calm and reasoned manner helps to reduce hate.

Even if you feel apathetic, don't try to foist your apathy upon others as though it were the morally superior course of action.

#371 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

View PostZaptruder, on 25 February 2013 - 06:41 AM, said:

Even if you feel apathetic, don't try to foist your apathy upon others as though it were the morally superior course of action.

It is however the more realistic/pragmatic course of action.

There's only one way to maintain a high level of civility on the internet and that is to apply absolutely iron handed authoritarian rules alongside unmerciful moderation.

You either bring the banhammer down HARD on everything equally, or you adopt the more lax attitude most forums have. There is literally no other way to get anonymous people to behave, there is nothing you can appeal to, no bribe you can provide that will make an iota of difference.

#372 Penance

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:49 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 25 February 2013 - 06:47 AM, said:

There's only one way to maintain a high level of civility on the internet and that is to apply absolutely iron handed authoritarian rules alongside unmerciful moderation.

You either bring the banhammer down HARD on everything equally, or you adopt the more lax attitude most forums have. There is literally no other way to get anonymous people to behave, there is nothing you can appeal to, no bribe you can provide that will make an iota of difference.

intelligent life on the internet does exist.

the other way to "maintain a high level of civility on the internet"...is to cut everyone's hands off so there is no more typing...extremist I know, but Iran seems to like the idea, go figure.

I really wonder what people like the OP do when they walk out the door and encounter someone who says whatever the OP "heard", whether it was directed at them, or between a private conversation of other people.

when the guy in a match the other day said "i'm going to electrocute your nipples" followed by "8====p **** punch" did I cry?

Nope, I came in first, then said in chat, "something about ****** electrocution?" He said "I did well, so suck it" , I happened to come 1st out of all, believe it or not, so I had to reply "but I did better". #lrn2trashtalk, I think I'll start a twitter movement.

Edited by Penance, 25 February 2013 - 06:56 AM.

#373 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:51 AM

I need to chime in here because your response though honest has some dangerous false equivalencies and likely unintentional misinformation i'd like to address.

It's almost funny at this point. I've seen threads like this in every game I play..I simply cannot fathom that people are so offended by "bad, offending words" in video games by players, it's almost as if they have never ever never ever never ever stepped foot outside, watched a movie, or TV.

I'm OK with a language filter. Something bothers you OK, I don't understand it, but fine, it bothers you, so put a filter in it. "people will bypass it", then they bypass it.

The reality is, if something is "said" and lets be honest, this is an anonymous medium, everything is nameless and faceless, so a person is told something and gets so offended by it, there are a few things that need to happen here in my opinion, (since this is a thread that appears in every game):

With the exception of oversimplifying hate speech into "bad, offending words" you make some points worth thinking about and I agree some people are too touchy however this is not one of those topics where we can really give a sans context usage a pass. Allowing usage of words that exist specifically for the purpose of and with a history of inflicting harm (regardless of whether harm was intended) will only provide precedence for such language to continue to be used is less "innocent ways", that's a fact.

1- Get therapy. if something bothers you so much, even something said by a nameless faceless entity, over the anonymous medium of the internet, you have obvious issues you need to deal with...not just OP, but anybody, seek a professional the****** and work **** out.

This misses the point entirely and is pretty unfair. Telling someone who who is deeply insulted by hate speech to "get therapy" is simply justifying and supporting the use of hate speech (implicitly if not explicitly). You never know who is on the other side of your "anonymous" speech or what they have been though, anonymity is no excuse to abdicate human decency. it happens, its not goign to change, but that doesn't make the people who do it any less wrong.

2- grow up. both parties involved

This is the worst form of a "fairness bias" most stories don't have two sides they have one or many. When it comes to hate speech especially on the internet only one side needs to "grow up" and that is the side using it. Telling both sides to grow up says that both sides are wrong, or in essence that someone is in fact wrong for being insulted by slurs that may or may not be actually and deeply insulting.

3- get thicker skin. It's nice you finally decided to venture out of your tiny little bubble into the world wide web. i don't know about the fantasy world you may reside in, but in reality people will say a lot of things. some things you may not like. Are you going to censor everybody? Maybe tell mommy someone said something bad on the internet and have her write a letter to your congressman?

This is pretty condescending but bears a tiny kernel of truth. While people can and will say things out of control you do need to try to handle them without breaking down. Counterpoint is that voicing objections is not necessarily whining or crying, it is in fact pointing out a wrong has been done. Equating legitimate grievance with whining is yet another cheap rhetorical trick.

4- learn how to be competitive...whether you like it or not, it's called trash talking, and it exists in EVERY competitive medium. There are many many levels of it, some acceptable, some borderline, but it's all trash talking nonetheless. learn how to talk back...it helps if you've ever played a sport..

Again good point about trash talk. Being Competetive has little to do with it however, see my response to the first point.
Hate Speech != trash talk

5- I mentioned it's all anonymous right? I'm pretty sure I did, a few times. How do you know the source of said comment doesn't date farm animals on the weekend..or worse? You don't.

This is very true and why enforcing the TOS aggressiveness is the only bulwark against rampant idoicy. John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad theory is alive and thriving. But turn it around for a second how do you know that the person that you just threw a slur out in front of hasn't suffered brutal racism, hasn't been a **** victim hasn't been a victim of abuse, hasn't had that term used as a term of violence against them directly in deeply hurtful ways.

Anonymity swings both ways and it seems it's always ok to say what you want.... except when it's not... except when it's you that gets hurt.

Edited by Agent of Change, 25 February 2013 - 06:54 AM.

#374 Max Liao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 695 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCrimson, Canopus IV

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 25 February 2013 - 06:47 AM, said:

An no possible way to keep up with it all. Unless you want the game to change from F2P to $1,000 per month to play - due to all of the forum warrior and in-game chat log moderators they will have to hire.

#375 Rauchsauger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

View PostMax Liao, on 25 February 2013 - 06:39 AM, said:

[...]
With that said, I'm a firm believer in a /ignore function. (See my sig.)
[...]

Could you/we advertise this more?
Some chat message lights up and catches my eye - I read it and cannot unsee it - I get upset
Maybe extend it to the forums (I am sure many people would enjoy not to be exposed to my scribblings any more)

#376 ChrisOrange

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

they only get mad over in-game chat because they are garbage cans. Stop putting this trash on the forums while you're at it grow a set.

#377 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

View PostMax Liao, on 25 February 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

An no possible way to keep up with it all. Unless you want the game to change from F2P to $1,000 per month to play - due to all of the forum warrior and in-game chat log moderators they will have to hire.

It's not unreasonable to simply report the behavior in game and take action when it is clear it is a pattern. Saying a problem cannot be addressed is the first step to not addressing it.

#378 Xinaoen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 382 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

View PostMax Liao, on 25 February 2013 - 06:39 AM, said:

Fragile egos are like hemophilia: What shouldn't hurt a normal person can kill them.

Sticks and stones and all of that ...

Now, that just sucks.

I think it's understandable that people who (for instance) have actually experienced honest-to-god racism firsthand are a bit sensitive about racial slurs. I think part of the issue is that a lot of young people today think of racism as ancient history - as something that happened so long ago that people should be over it by now. Here's the thing: I'm only 30, and black folks weren't allowed to use white drinking fountains when my dad was in high school.

There are people alive today whose parents or grandparents were lynched.

I think there comes a point where you have to take a step back and ask yourself whether you have any business telling someone how strongly they should or shouldn't react to a given thing.

Edited by Xinaoen, 25 February 2013 - 06:59 AM.

#379 ChrisOrange

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

View PostAgent of Change, on 25 February 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

It's not unreasonable to simply report the behavior in game and take action when it is clear it is a pattern. Saying a problem cannot be addressed is the first step to not addressing it.

yah but this is not the place... take it to private msgs. This entire thread is pointless

EDIT: also I don't use this kind of speech in game. buttmads on this thread still attack me due to their own insecurities.

Edited by ChrisOrange, 25 February 2013 - 07:02 AM.

#380 Oy of MidWorld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts
  • LocationEutin Prime, -222.66:151.22

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

View PostChrisOrange, on 25 February 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

yah but this is not the place... take it to private msgs. This entire thread is pointless

EDIT: also I don't use this kind of speech in game. buttmads on this thread still attack me due to their own insecurities.

No.

The original poster recieved a whole lot of "likes" (hate that term), so it is not useless, as it seems to be an issue to many people around here.

Edited by Oy of MidWorld, 25 February 2013 - 07:03 AM.

40 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 40 guests, 0 anonymous users