• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:32 PM

View PostKoniving, on 23 June 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

So how is it BS?

View PostKoniving, on 22 June 2019 - 01:48 PM, said:

Now if the two of you are similar in skill set and (more importantly to the system, similar in teamwork activities such as sticking together, firing on the same target as other people, etc), then it might be a lot easier.

This is bs.

Tier has almost nothing to do with skill or even how you perform in game or what you specifically do in games because you go up pretty much no matter what you do. It also isn't difficult to sync with others (to get into the same game) if you pay attention to what classes are being played.

Edited by Prototelis, 23 June 2019 - 12:40 PM.

#9282 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:54 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 23 June 2019 - 12:32 PM, said:

This is bs.

Tier has almost nothing to do with skill or even how you perform in game or what you specifically do in games because you go up pretty much no matter what you do. It also isn't difficult to sync with others (to get into the same game) if you pay attention to what classes are being played.

Skill will determine how fast someone progresses, and there are some people who are perpetually in T5, impart from several possible reasons.

PSR is Player Skill Rank/Rating. It's suppose to (and sort of does) rank a players skill over time, with some flaws.

As Koniving had stated, if two players are of divergent enough PSR (skill in theory), they will find it near impossible to sync drop. I can not, reasonably, sync drop with my girlfriend because I am T1 and she is T5. Even a T3 or T4 can have a hard time sync dropping with a T5, as they have a different pool of players they may drop with, though it is not out of the realm of possibility.

If anything, Koniving only fault in his original post was he got a little wordy and didn't clearly explain what he was trying to say. However, is base statement was correct in the most general sense.

Basically, PSR boils down to two things:
- If you win, unless you did really bad, you will go up in PSR.
- If you lose, you will go down in PSR unless you did really well.
The premise here is that people who win more are "more skilled", rather it's true or not is a different aspect altogether, especially when random teams are formed (rather than set teams against each other).

#9283 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:29 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 23 June 2019 - 12:32 PM, said:

This is bs.

https://mwomercs.com...-tiers-and-psr/
You can go down by not doing things that earn match score. As a person that's made a career of lowering my tier I can attest to that.

Also, try to sync drop with a tier 5 player..

If you do this with reasonable success during busier times and you are tier 1, then a certain friend of yours is proven wrong in his claims that he can't be in battles with tier 5 players or his many claims about me being full of it about how tier 1s could liberally farm said players to bolster one's stats, and since the announcements about allowing it and not allowing it keeps changing with nothing current I couldn't find the evidence I needed to back it up, so please bring me some. ^_^

If you don't manage it with reasonable success and are demonstrably tier 1, then you prove yourself wrong.

However you slice it, the corner you've backed yourself in doesn't look pretty. Look forward to you backing your end up either way as it still gives me a win and would be most informative. Posted Image

#9284 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:39 PM

View PostKoniving, on 23 June 2019 - 01:29 PM, said:

... how tier 1s could liberally farm said players...

I wanted to add in there, I was on a T5 (brand new) account at one point, and I managed to literally take a champion dual ERLL Raven and deal over 1000 pts of damage, land kills and a match score of 500 on the first match of the account. Jumped the account straight to T4 after a single match. (New accounts gain boosted PSR adjustments for their first few matches, before it goes to the "long slow grind".) So, I can say, if T1s are dropping in T5 matches... Yeah. We can do exactly as claimed. This is why T1s aren't permitted (besides extremely rare cases of low queuing population and very long seed player wait times) in T5 matches.

And I only consider myself upper T3 to mid/upper T2 personally speaking. (Yet I'm maxed out T1 and seemingly holding my own.)

#9285 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:23 PM

Tier 1 can never match with tier 5. At present, the MM will only match Tier value +/- 2. Tier 3 can play with anyone. Tier 1 can only play with 1-3. Tier 5 can only play with 3-5. It was one tier wider before the last adjustment which I though was about a year ago, maybe more. Unless this has changed again.

To the original point. Talking about sync dropping has usually ended up in a closed thread as the mods determine it's discussing "exploits" of a mechanic that's not the intended behavior but even if you end up in the same match, there's a 50/50 chance you'll end up on the same team. I don't think the devs would consider this a problem.

#9286 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:34 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 23 June 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

Tier 1 can never match with tier 5. At present, the MM will only match Tier value +/- 2. Tier 3 can play with anyone. Tier 1 can only play with 1-3. Tier 5 can only play with 3-5. It was one tier wider before the last adjustment which I though was about a year ago, maybe more. Unless this has changed again.

To the original point. Talking about sync dropping has usually ended up in a closed thread as the mods determine it's discussing "exploits" of a mechanic that's not the intended behavior but even if you end up in the same match, there's a 50/50 chance you'll end up on the same team. I don't think the devs would consider this a problem.

It originally was +/-2 tiers from the seed player. They changed it to +/-3 for a short while and then changed it back to the old +/-2 it was before.

However, there is a little small print on this as well. T1 and T5 can be matched together, but only under very specific and unusual circumstances. This is an extremely rare occurrence, but has been documented and proven by players to happen.

In order for a T5 and T1 to drop in the same solo queue match together, the seed player would have to be sitting for a match for a really long time, and player population would have to be so low that there is no other feasible manner for the MM to consider creating a match. The incidences where these odd matches have happened where/are on the lowest population times, where it was speculated that less than 50 players where online at that given time. At those times, T1 and T5 players where able to drop together in several matches together, as only the same roughlyish 24 players where in those matches.

Understand that this is such a rare occurrence at this time that it's "practically unheard of". So the standing rule of +/-2 PRS ranks are permitted in a match together is the "standard" ruling. AKA: It happens so infrequently, it's practically unheard of and not considered as the norm.

#9287 Mechwarrior 37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:03 PM

A "Skills" question.

What is better?

2 Cool Runs or 5 Heat Gens? (they each cost 5 skill points)

#9288 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:17 PM

View PostMechwarrior 37, on 21 August 2019 - 12:03 PM, said:

A "Skills" question.

What is better?

2 Cool Runs or 5 Heat Gens? (they each cost 5 skill points)

Cool runs are typically better, in my opinion.

Of course this is subjective, but I find cool runs better because it affects more than just weapon's discharge, but also helps with JJ use, being hit by a flamer and needing to cool it's effects better, standing in lava for a bit, etc. Meanwhile, the Heat Gen skills from the weapon tree only reduce the cost of weapons fire.

Without doing the math either, I'm also going to go out on a limb and presume that Cool Run probably bleeds more per second (gets you back into the fight sooner) than Heat Gen saves per shot (because you probably aren't constantly shooting and need cool down times). I'll leave any math calculations to someone else, but it's always felt like Cool Run gave me more than Heat Gen seemed to.

#9289 ShooterMcGavin80

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:14 PM

Heat bug. Heat bug? What the heck is up with this heat bug.

I've played this game for a few years and just this past couple weeks had a few games where the 'heat bug' was present. It really sucks. How the heck is a heat bug even a thing? Even had two back to back games where I was struck by the heat bug.

Anywhoo, anybody else suffering more than usual from this thing lately?

Basically it cripples your heat dissipation for a match.

#9290 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:30 PM

View PostShooterMcGavin80, on 05 September 2019 - 07:14 PM, said:

Heat bug. Heat bug? What the heck is up with this heat bug.

I've played this game for a few years and just this past couple weeks had a few games where the 'heat bug' was present. It really sucks. How the heck is a heat bug even a thing? Even had two back to back games where I was struck by the heat bug.

Anywhoo, anybody else suffering more than usual from this thing lately?

Basically it cripples your heat dissipation for a match.

No more than what I normally hear on the forums at least. A friend of mine recently got hit with it and didn't know what it was or why he wasn't cooling down like normal.

As far as I understand, no one knows what triggers the heat bug either, just that it happens. With no real way to repeat it reliably, it's hard to fix. Probably why PGI is having such a hard time pinning it down. FYI: PGI is aware of this issue as far as I understand it.

#9291 Mechwarrior 37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:34 AM

Event bonus? I've been getting one for a few days but I see no event going on.

#9292 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:39 AM

View PostMechwarrior 37, on 06 September 2019 - 08:34 AM, said:

Event bonus? I've been getting one for a few days but I see no event going on.

https://mwomercs.com...78#entry6289378

#9293 Mechwarrior 37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:03 AM

What was the last event?

No idea why they do not list them by date.

#9294 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:11 AM

Get schooled

#9295 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:15 AM

View PostMechwarrior 37, on 19 September 2019 - 06:03 AM, said:

What was the last event?

No idea why they do not list them by date.

I believe it was Weekend Warrior (again), which should have ended yesterday? Before that I do believe Aidan Crenshaw is correct that the even before that was Get Schooled.

#9296 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:34 PM

So.. here s one on the new "Loyalist Hero Track" introduced in Nov 2019:
I am currently a Loyalist Rank 20 and I am already 1.2 million LP overshot, meaning I am through the track almost 6 times (I think, I m as the achievement says "aquire 200000 additional LP..."
Has anyone else got to thos point and got the rewards for the turn already made or are they only giving away the rewards for turns to come?

#9297 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:21 AM

AFAIK, only for the LP you achieve after this was implemented.

#9298 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:32 PM

A question on faction play loyalist stuff:
as an IS loyalist - if there is a clan vs clan conflict in FP, can I take part in it withour loosing my IS loyalist status?

#9299 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:15 AM

View PostCyrilis, on 24 November 2019 - 11:32 PM, said:

A question on faction play loyalist stuff:
as an IS loyalist - if there is a clan vs clan conflict in FP, can I take part in it withour loosing my IS loyalist status?

You should be able to change your fighting faction temporary now, without it having any impact on your loyalist identity. At the end of that conflict, you should return to your loyalist affiliation. (Provided you didn't break contract to realign... depends upon how you make the change.)

#9300 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 11:58 AM

View PostTesunie, on 25 November 2019 - 09:15 AM, said:

You should be able to change your fighting faction temporary now, without it having any impact on your loyalist identity. At the end of that conflict, you should return to your loyalist affiliation. (Provided you didn't break contract to realign... depends upon how you make the change.)

OK, so thats a tricky clicky then. I will sty out of this phase then cause I am less than 20k LP away from the "Hero of Rasahague" and I will not be risking that one...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users