#42 PropagandaWar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

View Postharuko, on 21 October 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

Ironically it is in scale, it isn't too small, it's properly sized, the pilot fits into it fine and the view from the cockpit is the same as it isn in-game in the model.

I find it funny that it's correctly sized while the Commando isn't...

Here's a view from the inside:
Posted Image

Also something I want to point out, all of the images in this thread barring the Spider chasing infantry one, the Shadowhawk one, the Dropship ones and the pilot with helm were made like weeks ago when I was first learning blender, I've gotten better since then so sorry if they're kinda crappy, I can do better ones now.

Yeah but the cockpit looks so tight that the pilot would die from just being bashed around. I always imagined the cockpits to be on a sort of hydraulic system to keep from getting rattled to death.

#43 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

View Postharuko, on 21 October 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

There, better?

Posted Image

looks great!

View Postharuko, on 20 October 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

I've been wondering about that...since it has an ejection handle in the cockpit, but where does he eject from?

The top hatch can blow out but it'd be a tight fit and he might lose an arm if he doesn't tuck in:
Posted Image

And he sure as hell can't eject through the entry hatch, as the thing is already a tight fit:

Posted Image

Well, spiders simply do not have an ejection seat, at all. I could see though, much like certain armored vehicles today, where it has an "escape hatch" on explosive bolts to at least facilitate pilot exfiltration. Blowing of the whole font of the canopy, for instance, would be a pretty minor concession on an already destroyed mech.

#44 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

Here's a test render of one of the requests: Shadow Hawk cockpit entry.

I'll finish it later.

Posted Image

#45 PoLaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 620 posts
  • LocationEast Bay

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

View Postharuko, on 21 October 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

Here's a test render of one of the requests: Shadow Hawk cockpit entry.

I'll finish it later.

Posted Image

Looks great man. You are very talented!

#46 Makhila

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

There's no rule that says the whole cockpit can't eject as an escape pod. F-111 Aardvarks were doing it in the 60's, and B-1's in the 70's. Some MiG's take the canopy with them when they eject, attached to the seat. It acts as a shield for the pilot. It then breaks away to deploy the chute. In this case, the pod could stay intact as a sort of lifeboat waiting for the salvage hounds, because a lot of the battle environments are inhospitable to human life. Your air, water, etc. would go with you when you punch out.

#47 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

Well done! Im a bit jealous of your skills :)

#48 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

View Postharuko, on 20 October 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

So I've been toying around with the MWO in-game assets a lot lately. At first I started simply because I wanted to see if Cry Engine scale humans were actually in scale with the mechs to settle an argument in KONG, and just like I believed, they were! So then I moved on to see if the in-game pilot model would actually fit inside the mechs, and barring a few horribly out of scale mechs (COUGH, COMMANDO, COUGH), he surprisingly does fit inside most of the mechs, so I decided to make a series of images showing how the pilot would enter the mech inside the mechbay! These are all made using assets that exist in MWO:

Stalker/Raven:
Posted Image

Hunchback:

Posted Image

Commando (The pilot doesn't actually fit inside the Commando, as it is, it's too small to even fit a human, even if he squeezed in there he would NOT fit or be able to see anything):

Posted Image

Awesome:

Posted Image

Please excuse any weird stuff in the images, I'm still a complete amateur at using Blender.

I can take requests for mechs you want to see being entered, but don't expect them to be done quickly as I'm super busy with school.

Here is a sneak peak at another scene I'm currently working on using Crysis Assets:
Posted Image

And on a unrelated note, I wish PGI would design better buildings for our city maps, I know they do it for gameplay purposes but the buildings in River city look so toyish and awful, the mechs look pretty amazing next to the realistic CrySDK buildings:
Posted Image

These are amazing pics! And yeah I wish they would redesign the Commando's head/torso so it looked like a person could actually fit in there with the controls. It may end up looking like an infant Atlas with oversized head, but I think that would still work better. Somewhere someone posted a pic that showed what the Commando cockpit model looked like overlaid on the Commando model, and the pilot's legs were hanging out the bottom of the head in front of the chest.

Edited by DirePhoenix, 21 October 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#49 Agent Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 437 posts
  • Locationbottom left of canaduh

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

Id like to point out a few things that may not be considered here. First, mech cockpits have always been described as cramped, terrible places to die.
And as for the Commando pilot not fitting in there, the cockpit may not be solely in the "head", it may continue into the neck of the mech since the head doesnt need a mechanism to turn.
Also consider this art peice by flying debris
http://bg.battletech...r_1680x1050.jpg
In some cases maybe there isnt just a hatch but the whole head tilts open for access.

Edited by Agent Cooper, 21 October 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#50 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:13 PM

View PostAgent Cooper, on 21 October 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

Id like to point out a few things that may not be considered here. First, mech cockpits have always been described as cramped, terrible places to die.
And as for the Commando pilot not fitting in there, the cockpit may not be solely in the "head", it may continue into the neck of the mech since the head doesnt need a mechanism to turn.
Also consider this art peice by flying debris
http://bg.battletech...r_1680x1050.jpg
In some cases maybe there isnt just a hatch but the whole head tilts open for access.

I've considered all those options, trust me, I love the Commando, but it just isn't in scale, when FD drew it up for PGI he imagined it probably being larger than it is in-game.

Allow me to demonstrate:

Here is your pilot in the in-game COmmando cockpit:
Posted Image

Now lets just put it in the Commando head shall we?
Posted Image

Oh {Scrap}! It doesn't fit! This isn't surprising, none of the mech cockpits do (except for the Raven sort of), since the in-game mech cockpits are horribly blown up, with a fish eye effect, if they weren't you wouldn't be able to see anything out of your mechs viewport since most of them are actually pretty small when you look at them in actual scale, I like to handwave this away as; you're just seeing an enhanced composite image of your cockpit viewport through your neurohelm, hence the fish eye view and why they appear larger than they actually are on the model itself.

Ok so, the pilot is in the exact pose he is in-game, so lets just remove the in-game cockpit and he should fit in the head right?
Posted Image

Nope, as you can see, his arm sticks out of the side of it's head, now, sure I could just move his arm but we're trying to stick with what is in-game now remember? Lets see how his legs fit...

Well, he fits....well...not really, he's high enough that he'd be warm and toasty above the ammo loader, engine and it's heatsinks, BUT, he's in the way of the mechs arm actuator joint and the myomer muscles that would come out of it! The red circle is how the entire joint is on the model itself, and no, there isn't enough space for it to pass underneath him, he's practically sitting right next to it, on top of the fact that I had to remove the Commando's neck for him to even fit in the first place.
Posted Image

Well, we can just move him a little to the side right and it'll be fine right?

Nope.
Posted Image

Completely blocked by the eye sensor, which as you can see from the in-game cockpit, it extends past the cockpit, so you can't fit there, not to mention he wouldn't even be facing the viewport.

Lets just rescale the Commando then!
Posted Image

Unfortunately that doesn't work either, as the Commando's neck still completely blocks his feet.

Commando is just broke, only way to get the pilot to fit in there would be to resize it to a size that would be too big for a light, or to have the pilot sit higher up in the head, but then he wouldn't be able to see out the Commando like he does in-game!

Of course, this could all be fixed, by taking the lore friendly option of just saying that the pilot doesn't even use the viewport as he has a compressed 360 degree view through his neurohelm, unobstructed by anything and not requiring him to look through the tiny viewport. But of course, the game isn't like that, as I'm sure you know.

tl;dr pilot doesn't fit in the Commando.

#51 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

Also fun fact: In order for the model to correspond to your view of the in-game cockpit, it would have to be this big

Posted Image

#52 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:16 AM

View Postharuko, on 21 October 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

Also fun fact: In order for the model to correspond to your view of the in-game cockpit, it would have to be this big

Posted Image

Does the model have separate head/torso components? Can you rescale just the head (and/or put an Atlas-sized head on the Commando's body)?

#53 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:19 AM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 22 October 2013 - 12:16 AM, said:

Does the model have separate head/torso components? Can you rescale just the head (and/or put an Atlas-sized head on the Commando's body)?

Err, sort of, but yeah I could easily do that, i'll do it tomorrow since I was supposed to be in bed an hour ago.

In the mean time, have a Shadowhawk using his hands.

Posted Image

#54 Fury9er

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:08 AM

I love that pic with the diagram of the internals :) If/when a battletech movie gets made that picture needs to be on a monitor in the background somewhere :D

#55 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,589 posts
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:49 AM

Da...n,why i found this thread so late? AWESOME,really!!! haruko,how about a Cataphract? Would love to see your skills with the Phract and how s the Pilot enter and fits in to size of the Phract.

#56 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:32 AM

About the Catapult.. This post may help. Did you know that the Cat has a sideways ejections system? :D

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2861532

#57 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

View PostMighty Spike, on 22 October 2013 - 05:49 AM, said:

Da...n,why i found this thread so late? AWESOME,really!!! haruko,how about a Cataphract? Would love to see your skills with the Phract and how s the Pilot enter and fits in to size of the Phract.

Sure, it would be easy, though, putting the pilot in the Phract wont be pretty as in order to hollow out the cockpit I need to delete the internal vertex faces, and unfortunately for the Phract, the face that's behind the cockpit glass is it's entire front (its ct)! Which means it'll have a huge empty space on it's CT. I could just remake it from scratch but last time I tried that with the Centurion and it's cockpit, it just led to weird glitches in Blender that I couldn't figure out.

But sure, I'll do it when I get home.

View PostCyclonerM, on 22 October 2013 - 06:32 AM, said:

About the Catapult.. This post may help. Did you know that the Cat has a sideways ejections system? B)

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2861532

Someone pointed that out earlier, I don't think FD took that into mind when he drew up the Catapult though, as it has no visible lines or anything to indicate that it ejects sideways.

#58 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:08 AM

View Postharuko, on 22 October 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

Someone pointed that out earlier, I don't think FD took that into mind when he drew up the Catapult though, as it has no visible lines or anything to indicate that it ejects sideways.

I don't think any of the previous artists took that into consideration either.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 October 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

Well, spiders simply do not have an ejection seat, at all. I could see though, much like certain armored vehicles today, where it has an "escape hatch" on explosive bolts to at least facilitate pilot exfiltration. Blowing of the whole font of the canopy, for instance, would be a pretty minor concession on an already destroyed mech.

In the TRO:3025 description it states that the Spider doesn't have an ejection system, and that the pilot must escape through the "lower hatch" manually, but I've never figured out where on any depiction of the Spider the 'lower hatch' was supposed to be.

#59 PoLaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 620 posts
  • LocationEast Bay

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

Viewing this thread made me realize why PGI never integrated an eject system into the game. I've seen many requests over the past year for It, by only now understand why It hasn't been done. It looks as though there would be a lot of problems to face If they did attempt It...

#60 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostPoLaR, on 22 October 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

Viewing this thread made me realize why PGI never integrated an eject system into the game. I've seen many requests over the past year for It, by only now understand why It hasn't been done. It looks as though there would be a lot of problems to face If they did attempt It...

MechWarrior 2 actually had a very simple solution for eject sequence.. Simple and awesome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users