#41 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:14 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 25 March 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

The post was more to make sure he knew what the rules were (I think?) but yeah...

Anyone else have issues like this - Support is there to help!

Yup. Moderators (Green title under their name) are only volunteer moderators for the public message board here on this site. no more no less. They have absolutely no power and can not moderate any single game of MWO. They can of course report a player via the support@mwomercs.com system and this might have more weight than a regular user, but in the end the support staff of PGI/IGP have the final say and are the only ones who are permitted to moderate any user in regards to the game itself.

I believe the players with the IGP or PGI tag next to their names (with a yellow title under their names in these forums) are the only ones who have tools to moderate any match or player while playing live.

#42 SnowdogJJJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationNorth East PA

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:10 AM

Always die with honor.. hiding so that you do not die is not honorable. Hiding to ambush? well that is (also not honorable ) but IMO fun as a barrel of monkeys. If your hiding to save your KDR then your wasting everyone time, including your own.

#43 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:14 AM

I had that happen recently. I was in my Raven 3L and was the last man standing. Obviously I wasn't going to rush head first in, so I circled around and sniped. A team mate gave away my position at least 5 times. I called him out on it and he kept doing it, so I screen shot it and reported it. PGI said 'they'd look into it'. Never heard anything else. I ended the match with over 600 dmg and 3 kills, so obviously I wasn't hiding. People like that are just idiots.

Edited by Trevor Belmont, 26 March 2014 - 03:14 AM.

#44 Caswallon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 540 posts
  • LocationArboris

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:43 AM

While I agree there is no beneficial reason to hide for extended periods, (Personally I think skirmish mode was and is a waste of time but each to their own) in a Skirmish match I do recall one Mod making a post about the hiding debate before this. As I didn't see it referenced when skimming through the thread here it is once more
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3009696

to quote my fave part of it though

So if you run and hide without ever engaging, that is non-participation. If you fight to the best of your abilites and hide when there is no way for you to win anymore, that is perfectly fine.

As you can see that was said by a Mod on these forums. Not a Dev as a few have pointed out, but still the most official word I have seen on the matter thus far.

#45 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:43 AM

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 26 March 2014 - 03:14 AM, said:

I had that happen recently. I was in my Raven 3L and was the last man standing. Obviously I wasn't going to rush head first in, so I circled around and sniped. A team mate gave away my position at least 5 times. I called him out on it and he kept doing it, so I screen shot it and reported it. PGI said 'they'd look into it'. Never heard anything else. I ended the match with over 600 dmg and 3 kills, so obviously I wasn't hiding. People like that are just idiots.

PGI Shouldn't (and probably don't) give feedback on any adverse outcomes. It's not a good business practice.

That doesn't mean they didn't do anything though.

In another game I often heard the catch cry of "the mods do nothing" and then a freind of mine went missing unexpectedly. He got banned for a week for an infraction. The guy who reported him was still raging to me a month later that 'nothing' was done and I never told him otherwise, it wasn't my place to.

#46 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:54 AM

I remember the days when they actually didn't do anything. It took a month long plague of AFK cbill grind bots before they got with the program.

#47 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:09 AM

View PostCraig Steele, on 26 March 2014 - 03:43 AM, said:

PGI Shouldn't (and probably don't) give feedback on any adverse outcomes. It's not a good business practice.

How is "we banned this ******* for doing this ******* thing" not a good business practice? I will tell you how: When the banning is not over infractions vs players, but over infraction vs the company. On any open forum, the size and usage of the banhammer directly corresponds to the level of civility.

#48 Rushin Roulette

• 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:29 AM

View PostSnowdogJJJ, on 26 March 2014 - 03:10 AM, said:

Always die with honor.. hiding so that you do not die is not honorable. Hiding to ambush? well that is (also not honorable ) but IMO fun as a barrel of monkeys. If your hiding to save your KDR then your wasting everyone time, including your own.

This seems to be a pretty common misconception of Heavy/Assault players thinking that because they have big guns and not enough speed to chase a clamped wheel chair... that all others should "honorably" fight the whole of your team head on and if possible not move so that those big guns have a purpose. Any shooting out of an ambush or even worse, forcing your team of big slow mechs to split up for a search for longer than an ADHD child can cope... is a despicable offence punishable by an immediate and permantent lifetime ban from the internet.

#49 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Romulus, Outreach

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:48 AM

Just my $.02... if hiding was not allowed they would not have included the Beagle Active Probe. I participated in a game lest night where a COM-2D w/ECM was legged escaping from the last 3 enemy mechs on HPG and used cover and ECM to stay alive for the last 2 minutes of the game. There was even a Dev in the game. He finished the game alive and got GG's from everyone and kudos from the Dev. Use of the powerdown to break locks, eh, whatever, use of powerdown to hide/ambush/stay alive, totally legit. If you are crying that your mech is locked down for 15 minutes, use another one, that is why you have mechbays, it isn't like PGI is only letting you use one mech at a time.

#50 MysteryNotes

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:03 AM

View PostCraig Steele, on 25 March 2014 - 09:18 PM, said:

I doubt very much it was a moderator.

From what you have described, you have acted within the Code of Conduct and no Moderator should be concerned by your actions.

In any game mode, as long as you participate in the battle you may withdraw and "shut down' , hide or whichever you like without breaching the Code of Conduct.

There are many players (I know one suckered me once) that shut down in a camo'd up mech and wait for a numpty (like me) to walk by before letting rip and they are entitled to execute this legitimate tactic at the beginning or end of the match.

If I'm in a light and Last Man Standing I don't go running into the pack, I skirt the edges looking for a pick off. Entirely legitimate tactic at the beginning or end of a match.

Unless the Code of Conduct has changed OR you never participated, then I don't know why they would be getting upset.

EDIT: On reflection, maybe you shoudl send your screenshots to support and ask them. If the mod has it wrong they will no doubt pass it along. If you have it wrong, I am sure they will explain why.

Well, i had the same experience as ProphetMatt.
Last survivor on map, badly damaged.
Ran away in my jenner to see if i could get a lone hunter before i died.
Enemy player claims he is a moderator, and that i am in breach of code of conduct for not wanting to run into a group of enemies so they can kill me quickly.
Enemy player who claims to be a moderator also tells me he is going to report me, and that he doesn't even need to submit a screenshot of it, and that they would take his word for it. (Im guessing this is because he's a mod.)

Player on my team gives away my coords(Square i was in.)
Enemy player who claims to be mod doesn't even seem to care about that particular breach of rules either.

Looks like the person in question is selectively obeying rules when it is to his satisfaction i guess.

View PostProphetMatt, on 25 March 2014 - 08:54 PM, said:

So earlier to day i was playing a skirmish match, During the match i was severly damaged and ran off and hid, A player who turned out to be a moderator here started claiming I was breaking some "delay of game rule" Is that a rule? Cause the only thing on it I found was here http://mwomercs.com/...h/page__st__140 which seems to say its allowed.......so im a little confused, then a member of my own team put my location out in general chat which the moderator seemed to approve of so again im confused on the rules.

Funny, same thing happened to me, in the exact same map.
Im fairly sure its the same guy claiming to be a mod as well, i sent you a PM to confirm

#51 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:05 AM

View PostModo44, on 26 March 2014 - 04:09 AM, said:

How is "we banned this ******* for doing this ******* thing" not a good business practice? I will tell you how: When the banning is not over infractions vs players, but over infraction vs the company. On any open forum, the size and usage of the banhammer directly corresponds to the level of civility.

What are you smoking? :huh:

We are talking about banning someone for in game breaches of the CoC. That is a infraction against the company.

It is also a matter between the company and its client, its not for public debate.

Its never good business practice to punish in public, heck its not even good manners let alone a good business practice.

If someone's level of civility is based on a looming threat that says far more about that person than the one choosing not to threaten.

The rules are there, we can all read. We all know what is right and wrong. I don't need to know who got banned for me to play by the rules. Neither should anyone else who can read.

#52 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:09 AM

View PostMysteryNotes, on 26 March 2014 - 05:03 AM, said:

Well, i had the same experience as ProphetMatt.
Last survivor on map, badly damaged.
Ran away in my jenner to see if i could get a lone hunter before i died.
Enemy player claims he is a moderator, and that i am in breach of code of conduct for not wanting to run into a group of enemies so they can kill me quickly.
Enemy player who claims to be a moderator also tells me he is going to report me, and that he doesn't even need to submit a screenshot of it, and that they would take his word for it. (Im guessing this is because he's a mod.)

Enemy player who claims to be mod doesn't even seem to care about that particular breach of rules either.

Looks like the person in question is selectively obeying rules when it is to his satisfaction i guess.

Funny, same thing happened to me, in the exact same map.
Im fairly sure its the same guy claiming to be a mod as well, i sent you a PM to confirm

I'd give you the same advice then, report it to support for clarity.

AFAIK you have both acted within the CoC and if someone is imitating a PGI member or advertsing friendly mech co ordinates it is them who are in breach of the CoC.

If this guy was a mod, he should most certainly be aware of the treachery terms and be reporting them as well (or advising them he will as he apparently did to you guys)

#53 Rushin Roulette

• 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:14 AM

View PostMysteryNotes, on 26 March 2014 - 05:03 AM, said:

I always have Afterburner up and running with a timestamp in the top left corner (as well as being able to monitor the GPU temps during play). I can always inform him of this and he should smile because a link of his Youtube video will be sent to support and lets see how long his mod or playing rights will be upheld.

And before anyone says no naming and shaming... all my videos (unless I choose otherwise) are not listed, which means only people with the direct link can view the video (such as support).

Although this is not the main reason why I have Afterburner running (mainly to make videos of our unit practice and tournament matches) it sure is a bonus.

#54 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:19 AM

Man up, fight on.

I am only ok with hiding if you:
1. are doing it temporarily, to ambush an opponent
2. we're playing conquest and you just need to stay alive to win on tickets

#55 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:39 AM

Its a bit embarassing that even seasoned forum warriors try to bring in their quite irrelevant personal opinion on this matter since the dev team and community mods extensively and repeatedly stated that there is:

-- No ingame moderation ( correct me if this changed while I wasn't looking)

-- Absolutely no problem with not dieing as long as you participated ( pay head to the past form )
in the game so far.
A game takes 15 min. It CAN be over earlier. But you ( the players that want the game to be over ) have absolutely no right to report, thread or otherwise press a solo remaining player to do anything stupid like suizide attacks or letting himself be killed.

#56 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:45 AM

View PostKoniving, on 25 March 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

Falls under failure to engage the enemy or mission objectives. However, it's whether you decided to do it for the rest of the match or just a brief period of time while setting up your next strike that comes into question. 30 seconds is hardly enough time to have even started searching.

This one under combat conditions I'm guilty of.

In one instance I was in a one versus 5 and they blew off my leg while I was overheated. With a largely energy based mech the choice was either let them chew me apart while I cooled off and maybe get off a few shots or jam override and fire everything over and over and over and pop... I died.

When you have no concern for ghost heat, an AC/20, 3 PPCs, and 5 Medium Lasers you're bound to have that 'way out' when you know you can't win. But I took two with me. :huh:

It's important to note the context of the rules which weren't given. For example, overheating and exploding is in fact a normal mechanic intent on punishing you for firing too much too fast repeatedly. To do it so that you do not have to participate in combat is the intention of the rule. Whether or not it's a 'crime' to do it as a last ditch heroic effort to do as much damage as you can before you die which, in turn, typically robs them of their reasonably earned kill, is questionable as it can be seen either way.

So in the original poster's case, within 30 seconds the person is harassed about hiding. What if the original poster was lining up a headshot with 3 Gauss Rifles and the perfect shot didn't come until 55 seconds after the death of his last ally? What if there the player was stuck on a map glitch; certainly not his fault right?

Technically hiding the entire match or absolutely refusing to fight in a match where the team might wait and inconsiderate amount of time (example 12 minutes) for you to just die or time out is simply non-participation even if you did participate before the 'injury'.
The page the OP quoted basically says it's also wrong for other allies to call out your position.
Basically it's whether or not you intended to do something aside from briefly hiding to isolate an enemy in a favorable fighting condition.

Good reply. I think it will become fairly obvious if someone is maneuvering or attempting to fight...when they run behind the ship on River and powerdown...I'm not gonna lie, my typing fingers get itchy...

#57 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:55 AM

View PostProphetMatt, on 25 March 2014 - 09:38 PM, said:

he never claimed to be a mod, but I looked up his name on here and he was one.

The Legendary Moderators aren't in any way part of the game design team.

#58 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:07 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 26 March 2014 - 05:39 AM, said:

Its a bit embarassing that even seasoned forum warriors try to bring in their quite irrelevant personal opinion on this matter since the dev team and community mods extensively and repeatedly stated that there is:

-- No ingame moderation ( correct me if this changed while I wasn't looking)

-- Absolutely no problem with not dieing as long as you participated ( pay head to the past form )
in the game so far.
A game takes 15 min. It CAN be over earlier. But you ( the players that want the game to be over ) have absolutely no right to report, thread or otherwise press a solo remaining player to do anything stupid like suizide attacks or letting himself be killed.

Exactly. As has been repeated MANY times alredy on these forums. To the OP, you can ignore literally every single thing that every single person in this thread has said apart from the following points:

1) Hiding without having participated is against the rules.
2) Hiding after having participate is allowed, even if you do nothing else but hide until the match is over.
3) Reporting your teammates' positions is against the rules, even if the teammate you report is also breaking the rules (aka two wrongs don't make a right). Even if you had been breaking the rules by hiding, which you certainly weren't, that still wouldn't give your teammates the right to give out your position to the enemy team.

Anything else is noise. Pure speculation and opinion. But those three points are immutable and absolutely true.

#59 Ridersofdoom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:15 AM

hiding? wut are you talking about? there is no time to hide, missiles are faster now.

#60 MadSapper1234

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:23 AM

View PostSnowdogJJJ, on 26 March 2014 - 03:10 AM, said:

Always die with honor.. hiding so that you do not die is not honorable. Hiding to ambush? well that is (also not honorable ) but IMO fun as a barrel of monkeys.

Is suicide "dying with honor"? I know I have run off the map numerous times when my team just gets rolled.

If not there are some cultures that would have a disagreement with you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users