“Huginn” Raven Hero Mech Now Available!

142 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

Posted Image

We watched as the lone wise Raven flew across the battlefield, feeding all kinds of information about the enemy back to our commander. We all feared for its safety as we sat safely amongst our lance, hidden away from the enemy eyes. The Raven weaved and moved with haste and finesse unseen by any in our lance before. The quality of pilot needed to move a machine like that, we all understood that this pilot was one of the elite of the Free Rasalhague Republic instantly. What really stood out most though was that the skill needed to pilot the mech alone would have overcome most of us but this pilot was able to maneuver while still transmitting relevant and precious information to allow the rest of us to get into position was simply amazing. Finally the time came. In position our commander recalled the Raven. The trap was finally sprung. The enemy chased the harassing light who was pecking away their armor from the shadows seconds before. The two mediums, a centurion and trebuchet, could not match the speed of the raven though. The shared battle grid showed that the raven was moving swiftly towards us at the swift speed of 129.6 kph but in enough of an angle that every now and then it could its torso the full 120 degrees it would allow and send back at the pursuers its own wrath. Six SRMs flew from its right torso towards the enemy, triggering the trebuchets anti missile system. The elaborate ruse worked. Two of the SRMs connected, quickly followed by the two streak SRMs that were launched from the left torso mere seconds after the initial SRM volley and able to sneak through the distracted AMS. The raven quickly pitched its weight and began its serpentine movement. The Centurion’s AC10 shot stayed clear of the shifting Raven. Another volley from the retreating Raven landed on the trebuchet in the same location, stripping away more of the precious armor that covers the right torso. With under 600 meters of distance between us and the Raven, the rest of us finally make ready. With our radars off and only accepting data from the Raven itself we were in the dark, only mere seconds now. “Make ready!” a voice called over the radio and then we finally saw it. Above us was the Raven, flying through the sky on its two ignited jump jets. Our lance was ready for the two enemy `Mechs and quickly powered up to maximum capabilities. We stepped out of the brush into the clearing all at the same time and opened fire on the two enemy `Mechs. The swift raven quickly turned upon landing from its high arc over us and moved past us. Firing the two machine guns in each of its arms it quickly disabled the already damaged right torso of the Trebuchet. The battle did not last very long, but that Raven stayed swerving between the enemy `Mechs, quickly moving in and out of combat, and taking advantage of critical points with its full arsenal. “Pilot, that was some top notch piloting - what's your name?” our commanders voice broke the silence that came after combat. The enemy trebuchet lays on its back, smoke pouring from the many open wounds and missing limbs. The centurion powered down and pilot captured. “Sergeant Odin Sigurd, and this...” over the radio we could all hear the pilot of the Raven giving his command console a good few pats “is Huginn.” Text submitted by Cattra Kell. See the full loadout patch notes at: http://mwomercs.com/...79-01-apr-2014/

#2 Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationSelling baguettes in K-Town

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

About time we have hero Raven and in FRR style. :o
P.S. I can't help but like it, Ravens are one of my most favorite mech.

#3 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

Dear PGI, please stop releasing underpowered Heroes.

#4 Chronic Rune

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 46 posts
  • LocationLand of Green Chile, North American Continent, Terra

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

I can't understand why they didn't put any energy slots on it, as it stands its just flawed.

#5 kesuga7

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...ven-never-more/
sort of yay! :o
It seems the pleads for a ballistic and missle only varaint have been answered
though the tonnage is a bit low for a light mech

One more missle hardpoint would certainly have been nice howver this is the only light with two Pairs of 20 Missle tubes in side torso's
making it possible for lrm's.. - 2 lrm 10's - you can also do 1 lrm 15 and one lrm 5 for 1 more tonn saved
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1b2d4ec3035b87b

LRm 20 , 100 kph , 1080 ammo - bap - 1 jumpjet http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0b9fe23419b66a8

2 Srm 6 artemis , 300 srm ammo - 129.3 kph - 4 Mg's - 2000 MG ammo - 1 jumpjet http://mwo.smurfy-ne...76d4d3d76552814 Change a Srm 6 to a Srm 4 for another MG ton ammo

Probably most damaging version i could come up with - you could also do 2 srm 4 artemis
2 SRM 6 - 300 SRM ammo - 4 MG's - 4000 MG ammo - 1 jumpjet - 137 KPH
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a5fa2c94bc1310a

Make the 4x and 2x with a XL 295-300 Ratinggg :D
theres no negative sides to helping a neglected varaint(s)

Edited by kesuga7, 01 April 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#6 Han Turaya

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:22 PM

Damn you PGI!!!! Do you hate ravens that much!?
*sigh*
I've been waiting for a hero raven, and now this... instead of a main rooster mech, it'll just sit in the mechbay as one of the collections

#7 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:31 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 01 April 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

Dear PGI, please stop releasing underpowered Heroes.

Being concerned about accusations of pay to win is one thing.... this over concern is causing us to have an outright worse versions of hero 'Mechs than the free to play options.

#8 Renegade Robot

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

It was amusing to test it out on the test server, but honestly it's only good for a laugh. It's quite a joke to use. Hero lights must have energy slots. They need those low weight weapons with no ammo requirements. It pretty much felt like troll builds other then maybe 4 machine guns + 2 srm 4's with art or 2 ssrm's. You just become highly dependent on others to open targets up. It's like a SPD-5K who can't equip an er large and has to get in close to attempt to open someone up. Perhaps you can do dual AC2, I don't know. It just seems like a very team dependent light that's there to burn ammo and then do nothing but run.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

I dunno. I've been able to do twin LB-10x, twin AC/5 + MGs, twin AC/2s + streaks, 4 MGs + streaks, 4 MGs + some incredibly working SRM-6s. LRM-20 * 2. LRM-15 * 2 + MGs. LRM 20 + AC/5. LRM 15 + AC/10. AC/20 + 2 MGs. AC/10 + streaks and MGs. Fast + AC/5 + MGs + streaks (my best run was with this).

Only things I think this could have used are:
1) A 4 jumpjet limit instead of 2.
2) A center torso energy weapon (much like the Oxide needed a CT energy weapon and shift the 2 CT missiles to the arms for 2 missiles per arm).
3) Fix the jittery cockpit! It's disorienting as heck the way the cockpit jerks and twitches into position. This is a problem for all Ravens.

Edited by Koniving, 01 April 2014 - 04:57 PM.

#10 Armament

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 198 posts
  • LocationPiloting a Dire Wolf.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

View Posthanturaya, on 01 April 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

*sigh*
I've been waiting for a hero raven, and now this... instead of a main rooster mech, it'll just sit in the mechbay as one of the collections

Why even buy it in the first place then? You're supporting their crap by doing so.

#11 Prezimonto

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

Are we sure this isn't another April Fool's followup to the Urbie?

Heck, can we get the Urban mech as a hero instead?

#12 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

DISAPPOINTED!!

The one hero I might have boughtened...and it lacks even one energy port? That sucks.

Hell, give me some duct tape and an extension cord and I'll make an energy port myself. It's the difference between a heel-nipper with wasted tonnage on an autocannon that quickly becomes dead weight, or a strategic build that can atleast reliably deliver 5 damage points when everything else is spent.

#13 Lucian Nostra

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

View PostDocBach, on 01 April 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

Being concerned about accusations of pay to win is one thing.... this over concern is causing us to have an outright worse versions of hero 'Mechs than the free to play options.

so so true..

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

This is a totally separate Fun Fact on the topic of the Huginn hero mech: With the on-going armor concept (<--click there) I've been pitching, the Huginn fits in quite perfectly in line with the armor on par with a Raven 2X, and hardpoints mixing the inferior armored 3-L's twin missile ability with the superior armored 4X's ballistic ability and jump.

The only hero that clearly outclasses every other mech and won't fall in line (in terms of stock armor) is the Dragon Slayer. >.>

#15 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:26 PM

I'm thinking I'll stick to the -3L.

Thanks for making a RVN hero mech, really. But no ECM, no energy slots, only 2 module slots, only 2 jump jets, and NO ENERGY WEAPONS SLOTS?

Seriously, I am not at all impressed. There'll be some troll builds, to be sure, sporting LB10X autocannons or a bunch of LRMs or something.

But hey, what happened to the good ol' days, when a hero mech was worth a scrap right out of the box? Remember Yen Lo Wang? There were plenty of bone stock YLW out there raking in the kills. Heavy Metal was pretty formidable. The Boar's Head, too. X-5 for s slightly more survivable alternative to the JR7-D. And so on.

But this thing is pretty much junk. Most of the RVN-3Ls you see will eat this thing's lunch. JR7s of any variant (aside from that Oxide abomination) will, too.

I'd have preferred that the development team wait until the Colorado buzz wore off before attempting a Raven hero mech...

#16 Walks_In_Circles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 102 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

I've waited far too long, and (though I would have liked to have seem at least one energy hardpoint) it's perfect!

Also, 20 tubes? In each shoulder? On a light? HA! This is fantastic! I can think of a lot of joke builds with this one, and while it seems that the raven went from having possibly the best hero mechs in-game to the worst, I'm really having fun with it :o

Here's what I've been running so far.

EDIT: It looks badass with 20 tubes in either side torso. BADASS!

Edited by Hrothmar, 01 April 2014 - 06:00 PM.

#17 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

Its funny, I really like it, I've always liked the Raven design. I don't see why 4 MGs and 2 SRM-4 is considered so inferior to, say my 4 SL 2 SRM-4 Jenner-D I like to use, even has just the right amount of JJs I like to use. It would have the same DPS as well as pretty much unable to heat up and really ammo isn't a problem for MGs. Obvious weakness of no burst of the lasers and no twist, as well as the bigger one that is, you cannot use SRMs and MGs at the same time unless the target is moving in a manner parallel to your movement. It may be the first hero I get, but probably not.... If only it came with a mechbay too <3

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

well, at least y'all aren't afraid to shout your FAIL from the roofs.

It's about time the Pretty Baby and Fang had a contender for title of "Worst Frikking Hero Mech EVER".

*golf clap*

Can I pimp slap whichever Dev actually thought this was a good design?

View Posthanturaya, on 01 April 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

*sigh*

Now you know how us Hunchy fans felt when they delivered the Grid Iron.

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

View PostKoniving, on 01 April 2014 - 04:57 PM, said:

I dunno. I've been able to do twin LB-10x, twin AC/5 + MGs, twin AC/2s + streaks, 4 MGs + streaks, 4 MGs + some incredibly working SRM-6s. LRM-20 * 2. LRM-15 * 2 + MGs. LRM 20 + AC/5. LRM 15 + AC/10. AC/20 + 2 MGs. AC/10 + streaks and MGs. Fast + AC/5 + MGs + streaks (my best run was with this).

Only things I think this could have used are:
1) A 4 jumpjet limit instead of 2.
2) A center torso energy weapon (much like the Oxide needed a CT energy weapon and shift the 2 CT missiles to the arms for 2 missiles per arm).
3) Fix the jittery cockpit! It's disorienting as heck the way the cockpit jerks and twitches into position. This is a problem for all Ravens.

Yes you can add twin LB-X. And with enough ammo to last more than a minute, you then have 7 tons to split between armor and engine. To be able to make it work AND be droppable, you have a 150 engine, and 1 ton of armor.

Doable, and viable are not remotely the same my friend.

#20 RG870

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 April 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

Now you know how us Hunchy fans felt when they delivered the Grid Iron.

At least you can use the Grid Iron with builds like AC20 or 2xAC2 + MLs similar to the 4G. But the Raven hero is another useless hero mech. The last thing I needed was another hero light mech which depends on ammunition without having the tonnage to equip plenty of it. This hero sucks like the Oxide does. With some energy slots and maybe ECM they could be fun.
Another disappointing hero after Oxide, Boars Head (assault mechs must be able to tank, it's stupid to put most of their weapon slots into their arms and not even having ECM for minimal protection) and Jester (nice mech, too bad all lasers suck at the current pinpoint meta).
I wish there were more heros like the Firebrand, Ilya, Misery or Heavy Metal. And for Christ's sake bring heroes with ECM if there's already a non-hero variant with ECM of the same chassis.

Edited by RG870, 01 April 2014 - 05:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users