950 replies to this topic

#821 Xenois Shalashaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 343 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:07 AM

Those legs on PGI timerwolf is wrong. It needs the original knee joint. Just doesn't look right

#822 Cepeza

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationBeneath your bed!

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:14 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 10 April 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

------------- BEGIN TRANSMISSION -----------------
My targeting computer is in a state of confusion and keeps switching between Marauder and Catapult signatures but will not positively identify the enemy directly.
--------------- END TRANSMISSION ------------------

Wait.. what was that? Did I miss something? Where is that Marauder you are talking about? Is this a hint for upcoming content, or just salt in open wound?

Great Mech design btw... as always. I like that!

#823 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:31 AM

View PostCepeza, on 23 April 2014 - 03:14 AM, said:

Wait.. what was that? Did I miss something? Where is that Marauder you are talking about? Is this a hint for upcoming content, or just salt in open wound?

You know, a lot of the PGI designs look extremely different from the original concept art.

I wonder if it would be feasible to release a redesigned marauder that was different enough from harmony gold's original design to not fall under the legal jurisdiction.

#824 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:39 AM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 23 April 2014 - 04:31 AM, said:

You know, a lot of the PGI designs look extremely different from the original concept art.

I wonder if it would be feasible to release a redesigned marauder that was different enough from harmony gold's original design to not fall under the legal jurisdiction.

PGI would love to, I'm sure. The problem is they are between a rock and a hard place.

Rock: If they make it too close to the original design, Harmony Gold will sue PGI and drag it out long enough that PGI will be up to their noses in legal fees.
Hard Place: Read this thread again for the communities' reaction to a "bad" makeover, then multiply it thousandfold because the Marauder is even more iconic than the TimberWolf...

#825 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:46 AM

View PostCimarb, on 23 April 2014 - 06:39 AM, said:

PGI would love to, I'm sure. The problem is they are between a rock and a hard place.

Rock: If they make it too close to the original design, Harmony Gold will sue PGI and drag it out long enough that PGI will be up to their noses in legal fees.
Hard Place: Read this thread again for the communities' reaction to a "bad" makeover, then multiply it thousandfold because the Marauder is even more iconic than the TimberWolf...

It probably doesn't matter how close to the original it looks, simply releasing something named "Marauder" will trigger a law suit. In the end, even if they win they may still not make any money off it.

#826 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:49 AM

View PostRouken, on 23 April 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

It probably doesn't matter how close to the original it looks, simply releasing something named "Marauder" will trigger a law suit. In the end, even if they win they may still not make any money off it.

Exactly. Honestly, though, if they make the missile pods on the TimberWolf modular like they are on the TBolt and BMaster, there are a couple confine that don't have them and it will look quite a bit like a Marauder anyways. We currently have a "Rifleman", for instance, because the Jagermech is mostly identical, so this would be the same situation. Then we just need the Loki or Thug to be released so we can have a "Warhammer."

Edit: oh, and a MadDog to get a quasi-Archer, lol...

Edited by Cimarb, 23 April 2014 - 06:50 AM.

#827 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

I was looking up info on the harmony gold vs fasa lawsuit & found this:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen

Marauder IIC, Rifleman IIC and Warhammer IIC are listed as reseen under a new agreement.

Does it mean those mechs are available for use?

Clueless as to what a Marauder IIC is. Is it good? lol

Edited by I Zeratul I, 23 April 2014 - 10:27 AM.

#828 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

That's how the MadCat was originally introduced in the Warrior trilogy of battletech novels. Has nothing to do with a future Marauder being in the game.

Using the name Marauder would NOT trigger a lawsuit. Reseen marauders are all over the battletech boardgame, they just don't look anything like the original Marauders.

The artwork is the copyright issue, not the name.

#829 Marmon Rzohr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 769 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the universe, probably

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

I'm a bit slow so I just noticed a detail in the announcement text..

It says the Timber Wolf has the ability to mount "over 27 tons of weapons".

Mind you 27 tons would be pretty bad compared to MWO's Inner Sphere heavies...of course, that depends on how much lighter Clan weapons are.

#830 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostMarmon Rzohr, on 23 April 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

Mind you 27 tons would be pretty bad compared to MWO's Inner Sphere heavies...of course, that depends on how much lighter Clan weapons are.

LRM and SRM launchers are half the weight.
Balistics are ~1 ton less. (Clan MG are 0.25 tons :unsure:)
Heavy lasers are ~1 ton less (CLPL and CERPPC are 6 tons, CERLL is 4 tons) though the smaller energy weapons are the same weight.

Edit: forgot SRM >.<

Edited by Shar Wolf, 23 April 2014 - 01:14 PM.

#831 Shabahh Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

Surprised at the hate it's getting. I'm pretty excited to pilot this awesome mech when it comes out. I've been looking at both the concept art and the ingame model closely. I feel like if there's any difference, it's very minute. Plus I think the concept art has a much better angle to look at the mech. We should get a pic of the in game model like the concept art so we can really see. None of this from the bottom bs.

Edited by Shabahh, 23 April 2014 - 08:09 PM.

#832 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 23 April 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

Marauder IIC, Rifleman IIC and Warhammer IIC are listed as reseen under a new agreement.

IIC essentially means it is the Clan version of the mech. As such it is built with clan technology.

#833 mithril coyote

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 135 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 23 April 2014 - 01:13 PM, said:

LRM and SRM launchers are half the weight.
Balistics are ~1 ton less. (Clan MG are 0.25 tons :P)
Heavy lasers are ~1 ton less (CLPL and CERPPC are 6 tons, CERLL is 4 tons) though the smaller energy weapons are the same weight.

Edit: forgot SRM >.<

not a bad summary, but slightly off.

Ballistics
Ultra 2 - one ton lighter than standarcd AC2, about 25% longer ranged.
Ultra 5 - one ton lighter than standard AC2, about 25% longer ranged.
Ultra 10 - two tons lihter than standard AC10, about 25% longer ranged
Ultra 20 - two tons lighter than standard AC20, about 33% longer ranged

LB2X - one ton lighter than standarcd AC2, about 25% longer ranged.
LB5X - one ton lighter than standard AC2, about 25% longer ranged.
LB10X - two tons lihter than standard AC10, about 25% longer ranged
LB20X - two tons lighter than standard AC20, about 33% longer ranged

Machinegun's are half the weight (.25 tons)
AMS weighs the same, but has twice the ammunition per ton.

there are no standard AC's, just Ultra and LBX

Missiles:
LRm's are half the weight of IS versions and about 1 crit smaller, also lack minimum ranges.
standard SRM's are half the weight of IS versions. the SRM6 is 1 critical slot.
Streak SRM's are available in 2, 4, and 6 rack sizes, and weigh the same as IS standard SRM's.

Energy:
ERPPC is the only PPC type. it weighs 6 tons, takes up only 2 crits, and does 50% more damage than an IS version.
ER Large Laser - 4 tons, 1 crit. does 10 damage and 12 heat.
ER medum laser - 1 ton, 1 crit. does 7 damage and 5 heat. (has a 50% range boost over IS standard medium lasers)
ER Small - .5 tons, 1 crit. does 5 damage, 2 heat. double the range of an IS standard small.

Large Pulse laser - 6 tons, 2 crits. 10 damage, 10 heat. range is roughly double that of the IS version.
medium Pulse Laser - 2 tons, 1 crit. 7 damage, 4 heat. range is roughly double that of the IS version.
Small pulse laser - 1 ton, 1 crit. 3 damage, 2 heat. range is roughly double that of the IS version.

ECm and active probe are 505 lighter than the IS versions, 1 ton and 1 crit each.
the clans also have targeting computers, which weigh 1 ton and 1 crit for each 5 tons of direct fire weaponry the mech mounts. the targeting computer provides a bonus to accuracy.

View PostRouken, on 24 April 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

IIC essentially means it is the Clan version of the mech. As such it is built with clan technology.

first, the Marauder IIC. it is a very good 2nd line clan battlemech. but i doubt we'll see it in MWO any time soon.. i suspect that PGI will stick to omni's as part of the balancing of clan tech.

and the IIC designs are clan mechs based on old inner sphere designs from before the clans formed. they use clan technology, but are standard battlemechs, not Omni's. most of them are lighter or heavier than the mechs that inspired them, but due to clan tech they are usually much more potent.

the IIC mechs debuted in TRO3055. the reason they spent time as unseen had nothing to do with lawsuits by HG, but rather due to concerns over how FASA did its contracts. you see, when TRO3055 was being made, the art design work for the IIC's was subcontracted to an art studio. when FASA drew up the contract, they didn't include a section making it clear who owned the copyright to the art designs. this wasn't uncommon at the time for subcontracting, so is understandable. when FASA was around, the ownership was fairly clear.. FASA drew up the contract and paid for it, so they owned the art design. when FASA closed its doors, things got less clear. Wizkids bought up the battletech license, and got Fanpro to run regular battletech while wizkids did its own clix based game in the setting. (fanpro would not too long after rename itself to Catalyst Games lab LLC, the current company that handles battletech) the prolem was that without a part of the contract specifying FASA owned the images outright, there was uncertainty whether Fanpro would own them, or whether the images would revert to the art studio that made them. so fanpro/catalyst chose to list the original artwork for the TRO3055 IIC designs as unseen, and develop new in house "reseen" artwork for them the way they did the inner sphere unseen. mainly to avoid the potential for lawsuits in the future if they use the designs in artwork. they spent the whole time since that point discussing the issue with the art studio and came to a deal that saw an agreement that settled the ownership issue. though while the original IIC art is no longer unseen, they continue to use their own new art in new products. the agreement mainly just lets them include art with the old designs in the PDF reprints of older books.

Edited by mithril coyote, 25 April 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#834 Name140704

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

Flea.

#835 Entail

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

Surprised so many people are accepting that such an important mech looks like it
was assembled with different disproportionate components of old mechs,
Very very disappointing, the torso is like the size of a jenners body,
Missile racks are way too short, legs too bulky, feet too small, the arm joint just looks horrible.
The weapons on the arm is the only thing that look good enough for a really symbolic mech

Edited by Entail, 25 April 2014 - 06:13 PM.

#836 Vyviel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 458 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

Most of the look is fine but its mainly the huge TESTICLES that they decided to add between its legs which just keeps drawing the eye.

No other mech has something as ugly as that between its legs. I know its meant to be the manliest mech but you dont need to give it man parts =P

HUGE GOLDEN BALLS! hehe

Posted Image

Edited by Vyviel, 28 April 2014 - 08:47 PM.

#837 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

View PostPsycho Farmer, on 25 April 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

Flea.

This has been an "upcoming" mech for how long now?

#838 Trystan Thorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

They will be the CLAN re-inforcement Package! :P

Just joking, but I wouldn't mind seeing them in MWO one day.

Back to the Timberwolf. I just noticed. All the images we see here are non CLAN Package versions. Are there any ones where we see the CLAN Package version I wonder (beside the silly looking golden one)?

#839 Name140704

• 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:23 AM

View PostTrystan Thorne, on 29 April 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:

They will be the CLAN re-inforcement Package! ^_^

Just joking, but I wouldn't mind seeing them in MWO one day.

Back to the Timberwolf. I just noticed. All the images we see here are non CLAN Package versions. Are there any ones where we see the CLAN Package version I wonder (beside the silly looking golden one)?

https://mwomercs.com...-shots-revealed

#840 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

View PostShabahh, on 23 April 2014 - 08:09 PM, said:

Surprised at the hate it's getting. I'm pretty excited to pilot this awesome mech when it comes out. I've been looking at both the concept art and the ingame model closely. I feel like if there's any difference, it's very minute. Plus I think the concept art has a much better angle to look at the mech. We should get a pic of the in game model like the concept art so we can really see. None of this from the bottom bs.

Why should we be accepting of one of the most iconic mechs in the game EVER look poorly designed? It doesn't look good for a MadCat. It's recognizable, but it's certainly not an exciting version of it.

Just the fact that it's a MadCat isn't enough to celebrate. This is one of the MUST get right units in the the history of the game, and this version is very *meh* The design is the problem. I'm sure it will work well in the game, it's just not aesthetically pleasing to a lot of people. We've said why (legs look too big is one of the most mentioned)

Why should I spend as much on a single unit of content (that I won't even see most of the time using it) that I can buy an entire game with unless that content is DAMNNNED well done?

It's not being a hater, it's being a consumer telling the producer what we want if they're to get our money.

Edited by verybad, 30 April 2014 - 09:25 AM.

31 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 31 guests, 0 anonymous users