Stock Mech Era Wednesdays

196 replies to this topic

#21 Kh0rn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:59 AM

Awww Dam its also out my time zone its about 4AM when this takes place I would love too run my stock AS7-D Atlas D :

#22 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

You guy should check this out!

More lore-based than Stock Mech Monday! Plus, we get a lot of questions about "making a Rifleman from a Jagermech" or using a variant of Mech not in MWO but able to be made from one of the included variants: this is the place to make it happen folks! xD

#23 Frantic Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

I'll be there. Wednesday night is when my unit usually gets together, hopefully I can drag a few of them over ;)

#24 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:04 AM

Happy to have ya Frantic.

Tech 1 Stock Action is today starting at 8:30 PM EST.

#25 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

Gen Taskeen,

Thanks so much for putting this event together. You really put a lot of work into the Assignment table and I want to thank you for all the hard work that went into this. I'm sure there were many hours dedicated to this project.

I do have a quick question that, since you are a wealth of knowledge, you might be able to answer off the top of your head.

I bought a VTR-9S just to run in these stock matches. I noticed it's listed in the left column as an acceptable variant for tonight's matches.

It is not, however, listed as being associated with any of the houses. I'm not up on the Lore of BT, so was wondering what was the historical significance of this variant if any?

(Edit: I do realize the difference between the 9B and 9S is 1 ton armor and SRM4 vs SRM6 trade off.)

Jody

Edited by Jody Von Jedi, 14 May 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#26 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

Taskeen can correct me if I am wrong but since the 9S is just a modified 9B (it swaps some armor and the srm4 for an srm6) it is probably in the same boat as the B in th at it was made for the SLDF and thus all over the place before the Star League fell.

#27 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 14 May 2014 - 05:04 AM, said:

Happy to have ya Frantic.

Tech 1 Stock Action is today starting at 8:30 PM EST.

Tech 1 Stock Action...which era (going from OP) ?

#28 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:10 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 14 May 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

Tech 1 Stock Action...which era (going from OP) ?

Third/Fourth Succession Wars ;)

If you're not sure if you have a 'Mech that fits the time period, check the master list in the first post (in this case, you'll want to tab over to the "fourth succession wars" google docs sheet). You'll see all the ones that are listed for that Era time period for every weight class.

Generally most Mechs with SHS (with no early Tech 2 stuff) are from that Era. And if you wish there are some options to build other stock 'Mechs, like my favorite Lyran LCT-1S with 88 armor :D.

Edited by General Taskeen, 14 May 2014 - 10:17 AM.

#29 InRev

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

Invites are goin out, come and join the fun!

#30 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:17 PM

Last match of the night was pure, brutal Stock 'Mech action!

Last two 'Mechs alive... a COM-1B and a TBT-5J fighting to the death in pure Succession Wars action! It reminded us all that that was why we play Stock Matches, thanks all!

#31 InRev

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:44 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 14 May 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

Last two 'Mechs alive... a COM-1B and a TBT-5J fighting to the death in pure Succession Wars action! It reminded us all that that was why we play Stock Matches, thanks all!

That game was a tactical masterpiece.

Our team was built for range, theirs for brawling.10 minutes of maneuvering, repositioning and long-range harassment from our team ensued until their brawlers found the moment, and the location, and pushed us hard. It was like a bull in a china shop. When the smoke cleared, all that remained was a Treb with no ammo and a Commando with no armor.

Hell of a fight. Was real nail-biting stuff.

#32 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:32 AM

That was a slugfest. We had two awesomes and some lrm mechs plugging away at them while they tried to get into position to brawl all the while we are keeping away from them. Forgot who was on my team directing, but whoever it was did an excellent job at calling locations and getting us set up to punish them for looking at us.

When that commando lost his large laser we all cheered over comms, was the some of the most fun I've had in over a year.

#33 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:37 AM

View PostBarantor, on 15 May 2014 - 05:32 AM, said:

That was a slugfest. We had two awesomes and some lrm mechs plugging away at them while they tried to get into position to brawl all the while we are keeping away from them. Forgot who was on my team directing, but whoever it was did an excellent job at calling locations and getting us set up to punish them for looking at us.

When that commando lost his large laser we all cheered over comms, was the some of the most fun I've had in over a year.

That would be Skyer. He did a great job of keeping us moving as a unit and directing traffic. Epic, epic match, and yes, easily the best match I've played in for quite a long time. Classic Mechwarrior action. And yeah, that cheering over the comms was sheer exhilaration.

Edited by Rhaythe, 15 May 2014 - 05:37 AM.

#34 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:45 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 May 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

we have generally found stock ammo works, but you definitely are more team reliant, as most mechs don't have the ammo, or heat endurance to go all "Die Hard" and yippee ki yay the other team.

Even for Jagers? I actually steered clear of my beloved Rifleman stock builds as I was 'stocking' mechs last night...because the 15 shots I'd get from a pair of AC5's just didn't seem remotely worth it. ;)

Yeah...sorry I got taken out second to last with the Wang...shouldn't have added the lasers to that last shot of the AC20...though I opened up that Cataphract real good for you in the process :lol:

Shedding heat on Tourmaline in a stock Yen-Lo was...um...I need a better cooling vest. ;)

Most fun I've had in a LONG LONG time. I'll be back next Wednesday...and checking out Stock Mech Monday's, too. I don't think I topped 400 damage in that fight, but the 3 kills I snagged in the Yen-Lo Wang were the most satisfying I've had in a while :)

Edit: In addition, the match we played of All Locusts vs. Not Locusts was absof**kinglutely hilarious, and fun. It felt like we were playing Gears of War on Horde mode, waiting for the Wretches to come to us...hehehe.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 15 May 2014 - 05:49 AM.

#35 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:02 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 15 May 2014 - 05:45 AM, said:

Even for Jagers? I actually steered clear of my beloved Rifleman stock builds as I was 'stocking' mechs last night...because the 15 shots I'd get from a pair of AC5's just didn't seem remotely worth it. ;)

Yeah...sorry I got taken out second to last with the Wang...shouldn't have added the lasers to that last shot of the AC20...though I opened up that Cataphract real good for you in the process :lol:

Shedding heat on Tourmaline in a stock Yen-Lo was...um...I need a better cooling vest. ;)

Most fun I've had in a LONG LONG time. I'll be back next Wednesday...and checking out Stock Mech Monday's, too. I don't think I topped 400 damage in that fight, but the 3 kills I snagged in the Yen-Lo Wang were the most satisfying I've had in a while :)

Edit: In addition, the match we played of All Locusts vs. Not Locusts was absof**kinglutely hilarious, and fun. It felt like we were playing Gears of War on Horde mode, waiting for the Wretches to come to us...hehehe.

Jagers have OK ammo, but 6 tons of armor. Not going to go solo rambo there, either. Especially since high alphas largely don't exist, as the mechs "capable" of them, really aren't (such as the Stalker 3F..... it can lay down some hurt...and then self destruct). Basically the point is that all the circumstances really remove the Solo Hero from the game.

sorry I didn't make it, had IRL stuff I had to do (cramming for finals), looks like I missed a lot of fun. Will keep an eye out for the next time this scenario rolls around.

#36 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:04 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 15 May 2014 - 05:45 AM, said:

Yep, works decently enough, but Jagers and Rifleman's are mainly support 'Mechs. So its recommended to stay in a second-line position and open up with Autocannons when the enemy's armor is depleted (or aim for the cockpit or other weak spots). The RFL is a different beast depending on the version, the 3N and later 5M are meant to use the large lasers periodically at range, while the AC/5 and Mediums are best used for when an enemy closes (due to low ammo).

(Rifleman's available for Succession Wars time period)
*** (“Firebrand”) RFL-3N Rifleman [60]
*** (“JM6-S”) RFL-3C Rifleman [60]
*** (“Firebrand”) RFL-4D Rifleman [60]

(Newer Rifleman's available for Clan Invasion time period)
3053 *** (“Firebrand”) RFL-5D Rifleman [60]
3052 *** (“Firebrand”) RFL-5M Rifleman [60]

As you'll notice some of those are widely different (based on the Rifleman stock builds). The 3C and 4D, in particular, were built by Davions to turn the 3N into a front-line Rifleman. The 3C is one of my absolute favorite Rifleman's, seen here in this BlenderTech vid:

Edited by General Taskeen, 15 May 2014 - 06:26 AM.

#37 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:08 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 May 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

Jagers have OK ammo, but 6 tons of armor. Not going to go solo rambo there, either. Especially since high alphas largely don't exist, as the mechs "capable" of them, really aren't (such as the Stalker 3F..... it can lay down some hurt...and then self destruct). Basically the point is that all the circumstances really remove the Solo Hero from the game.

sorry I didn't make it, had IRL stuff I had to do (cramming for finals), looks like I missed a lot of fun. Will keep an eye out for the next time this scenario rolls around.

It was a lot of fun, hopefully you do well on your finals.

The jager and many other mechs don't have a lot of ammo, but that doesn't mean they don't have 'enough' it just means you have to make every shot count. I had to temper myself from just blasting lrms with my catapult for the same reason. You can't be risking shots at max range, but you have to find that sweet spot where the return fire isn't going to hammer you either.

I was actually looking at some of the non flamer blackjacks and their armor is pretty decent given their weight.....

#38 GunnyKintaro 01

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:08 AM

im going to start trying to make this one as well ! ;)

#39 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:14 AM

Sorry I missed out last night. It was 11 PM EDT before I was able to break free from RL.

I'll try again next Wednesday.

#40 GunnyKintaro 01

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:20 AM

im pumped im running all these stock mechs in pug trying to get better

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users