Nova

115 replies to this topic

#41 orialchum

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

I am running the nova-s with 4 C-ER-Mediums in each arm and two AMS systems in the torso with the rest of the weight going to double heat sinks.. I've found that I do best when lurking in with other mechs and the dual AMS really helps the team's over all survival.

#42 Zplayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 225 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:25 AM

I'm having quite a lot of fun with this one with 12 small lasers, I don't use chain fire either; I fire 2 volleys of 6 (6 is the max for no heat penalty) .

Up close it's devastating against foes big and small, 1 volley will take the leg off any light mech and you core most mech's quite fast with the quick cycle time.

Heat management is good too although I wouldn't recommend firing 12 at once - it can be done providing your cool enough. I've added 4MG but you can swap those out for extra heat sinks if needed.

12 SL, 4 MG NOVA

#43 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:33 AM

yea for another 12 SL friend!!! add the B RT and get that 13th one on there..
I still like the chain fire option with 4 groups and at least mentally, it seems like I am firing a lot more and faster than doing 6 and 6...im probably totally wrong but it seems like it.

#44 Zplayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 225 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:23 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 24 June 2014 - 05:33 AM, said:

yea for another 12 SL friend!!! add the B RT and get that 13th one on there..

That's not a bad idea - if you strip the MG's off you can fit a LL & 2 more heat sinks in there so at least you wont be ineffective at distance, which is my only problem with this build ;)

#45 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:23 AM

View PostZplayer, on 24 June 2014 - 07:23 AM, said:

That's not a bad idea - if you strip the MG's off you can fit a LL & 2 more heat sinks in there so at least you wont be ineffective at distance, which is my only problem with this build ;)

i was doing this also or using an AC2 for some reason...i also just hate the MGs....I UNDERSTAND what they do, I just hate them.

with the LL as #13, you still get 20 DHS total + 12SLs

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...52248032dad2d87

I also do 13 SLs as I find a lot of times i don't need the long range but it is a nice to have. i also just like odd ball builds
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a169f1e8d6b1d81

Edited by Bigbacon, 24 June 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#46 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

Don't go alone.. Works great for stragglers on the opposing team.
C-UAC-5, 2T ammo, C-ERmL, C-ERPPC.

#47 Griffinhawk

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

The most fun mech for me. I run Prime:

4x CER Medium Lasers
8x CER Small Lasers
1x CER PPC
2x CMGs (1/2 ton ammo)

Left mouse button fires left arm .. Right for right. 83 damage dot alpha. Runs pretty cool if you can control yourself. :)

#48 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

View PostMyke Pantera, on 23 June 2014 - 03:10 AM, said:

I won't claim my build are any good but i run them as follows currently:

PRIME: 8ML + 4 additional DHS
B: AC5 + PPC both torso
S: 6ML + 4MG + AMS

I didn't change any omnipods so far.

This is almost exactly how I run all mine except instead of an AC5 on the B, I run an LB10X.

#49 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

NVA-B "Dakka Dakka"

A bit of a close-in mech, if you're rolling closely with your lance, you won't be having any trouble nailing critical hits on internals, or punching holes through parts with the 6 SLas.

#50 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

do not engage combat, you Ct is huge and everywhere vs opponents who can aim, so try to get into combats where the others are distractedshooting on other mechs.

Also Shoot your lasers in volleys, 6 CERML at a time, or 6 CERSL at a time to prevent ghost heat.
also 2 CERLL + 4ML works quite nice.

or go something boring and classic: 2 ERPPC

additonally you can alway also use the 4 MG's as secondary weapons once the armor cracked open on an opponent.
Or to find your sweetspot in heat, drop one laser after another and use more Heatsinks until you find somethign convinient.

#51 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:38 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 25 June 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

do not engage combat, you Ct is huge and everywhere vs opponents who can aim, so try to get into combats where the others are distractedshooting on other mechs.

this is definitely the #1 thing to remember with the nova. Again, you need to be support mech or have at least one or more mechs with you to either help deal damage or distract. 1 on 1 you are toast. At least this is exactly what I've found playing with the nova.

#52 Boymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 772 posts
  • LocationUK Yorkshire (from Manchester)

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:17 AM

Oh man Iam getting at least two kills a game at least 500 damage with the prime and 12 small lasers and mgs.
Stay with a big fella and just go for the legs.
Awesome mech.

#53 Turboferret

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

View Post627, on 17 June 2014 - 11:27 PM, said:

If it is too hot, drop some ML or go for the standard: 12x C-ERSL and 4x C-MG.

There's not enough pod space for large ballistics, you can fit an UAC20/LBX20 with two backup lasers but that's it.

People underestimate the living **** out of this build. Everyone's going "hur dur 35 damage poptart" and they don't realize each arm of this beast shoots 30 damage alphas, and you can fire them NONSTOP. I think the DPS is like 30 before even adding MGs or something silly.

Crack em' open with the lasers, hose them down with the MGs.

Mark my words, the next tourney winning team will field at least 6 novas, YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

#54 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

View PostAzrael1911, on 26 June 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

People underestimate the living **** out of this build. Everyone's going "hur dur 35 damage poptart" and they don't realize each arm of this beast shoots 30 damage alphas, and you can fire them NONSTOP. I think the DPS is like 30 before even adding MGs or something silly.

Crack em' open with the lasers, hose them down with the MGs.

Mark my words, the next tourney winning team will field at least 6 novas, YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

To be true, there's a big downside of this that is the short range. 180m is really not much, this is a facehugger. And facehugging means you get shot alot or you come too late to the party. Dropping on alpine is a nightmare.

But if you get one of the city maps... <_<

#55 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:40 PM

42 damage at 450M per arm for the 12CERML build.

#56 Teela Zain Elmes

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationNear planet Huntress

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:43 PM

I drive the Nova Prime with stock loadout and works fine so far! During matches on warm maps simply chain fire mode.

#57 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:59 AM

I stripped the D build down to 6 ML instead of the MPL and filled up with heatsinks. You have the same punch like one of the prime arms but waaaay better heat management.

With 12 ML you can fire 2-3 times (in two volleys of course). After that, you're down to chainfire or only 3 ML. So if you don't kill with the first salvos or end in a brawl, you have better dps with only half the lasers because better cooling.

Add 4 MGs on top of that and you have a fine brawler with good range.

12 ML is just too hot for a sustained fight, this is only good if you play like a poptart. But if you get caught with that...

Edited by 627, 27 June 2014 - 12:59 AM.

#58 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:52 AM

View Post627, on 26 June 2014 - 09:34 PM, said:

To be true, there's a big downside of this that is the short range. 180m is really not much, this is a facehugger. And facehugging means you get shot alot or you come too late to the party. Dropping on alpine is a nightmare.

But if you get one of the city maps... :)

actually only sucks on alpine if you decide to hump the hill or your entire team decides to hump the hill....something I wish teams would stop doing...so much awesome map below and everyone wants to play in like 2 grid squares

#59 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

Been enjoying 1 ERLL and 4 ERSL in each arm. ERLL for bit of stand off space at beginning of battle and then ERSL to flay enemy when they get close, works quite well once I get it skilled up should be very effective.

#60 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:33 AM

View PostSt4Lk3rNL, on 19 June 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

this is how i like to run it

NVA-S

this way i have AMS, MG when its open and easy with heat management

Been using a build almost exactly like that also on one of mine, really like it.

I like the Nova overall, its hitboxes suck, but not as bad as the Direwolf and the insane amounts of firepower it can cary make up for that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users