#841 R Razor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

View Post1453 R, on 24 June 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

Nothing wrong with taking pride in being good at your hobby, Razor.

Seriously. Go read that linked post of mine. You were one of the folks I had in mind while writing it.

I did, I even laughed, it's funny and probably does have some truth to it...........what it doesn't do is have any bearing on being an arrogant feminine hygiene product and doing your best to convince people that you really are something special because you can do something in a game.

At the end of the day, no matter what anyone may think or say or type, it is still just a game. Nobody (except hopefully the publisher and the developer) is making any money off of it, and I doubt it will ever turn into a paying e-sport game anytime soon.

Uber warriors consistently going out of their way to insult broad swathes of the player base with asinine comments (as seen in this thread multiple times) only further the growth of the rift this forum and game has going. Once the children (and this includes those 40 year olds that somehow think this game means something when they win) learn that and run off and do their own thing without harassing the "bads", "pubbies", "underhive" etc...., things will improve, but not before.

View PostRoland, on 24 June 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

Collapsing into an argument about how video games aren't really a big deal, while arguing on a forum exclusively dedicated for a video game, is the ultimate signal of defeat.

Nobody arguing here pal, to argue one must first be angered or concerned enough about something, and none of you boys have the ability to get me to that point. Sorry to disappoint you.

Just calling arrogance out when it rears its ugly head.

#842 Zensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 605 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

View PostBobby Blast, on 24 June 2014 - 03:18 AM, said:

Honestly the thing that pissed me off the most about the Zensei match was this...

Heimdelight: " Zensei, do you have premium time?"
Zensei: "No, I don't believe in giving them money."

My feelings on this comment trumps any validity he may have had and is best described in a monologue from The Big Lebowski (1998) starring Jeff Bridges as spoken by David Huddelston to The Dude.

"My advice to you is, to do what your parents did! Get a job, sir! The bums will always lose-- do you hear me, Lebowski?
THE BUMS WILL ALWAYS LOSE!"

Anyway it pisses me off that people play the game and don't support it at all then wonder why the developers don't have the resources to fix their particular problems immediately. I wish it were pay to win then I'd get better service over a bum like Zensei.

So how much have I spent on this game? You have no idea and yet you call me a bum. What I saw was a challenge, what I did was step up and face it. I lost 2 games to a very good player, I bet I lose 2 games to a very good player again.

So whats your beef? You know what pisses me off about this game the most.

The endless dead players telling me how to play.

#843 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

Shouldn't there be a suggestion along the lines where losing half of the Clan XL engine should invoke some sort of penalty (heat, mobility, or some combo)?

While the IS XL engine used on most Victors/DS/Cataphracts force one to die from a side torso shot... such a thing doesn't occur to the Clan XL engine.

I did "figure out" how you guys built the "meta Madcat", but it feels oh so wrong by the nature of clan tech.

It seemed odd that that discussion hasn't even steered a bit on that end.

#844 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 24 June 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

Shouldn't there be a suggestion along the lines where losing half of the Clan XL engine should invoke some sort of penalty (heat, mobility, or some combo)?

While the IS XL engine used on most Victors/DS/Cataphracts force one to die from a side torso shot... such a thing doesn't occur to the Clan XL engine.

I did "figure out" how you guys built the "meta Madcat", but it feels oh so wrong by the nature of clan tech.

It seemed odd that that discussion hasn't even steered a bit on that end.

Because fixing the Timberwolf doesn't fix the overall issue, once again.

So you nerf Clan XLs...and the Timberwolf isn't as good...what does that do? It just makes the one good Clan mech not as good.

Does it do anything else? Nope. And it makes the half of the Clan mechs which are borderline bad already worse.

#845 Turboferret

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 24 June 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

So you nerf Clan XLs...and the Timberwolf isn't as good...what does that do? It just makes the one good Clan mech not as good.

Does it do anything else? Nope. And it makes the half of the Clan mechs which are borderline bad already worse.

What are you talking about? The clan mechs universally destroy IS mechs in a brawl.

You only think they're bad because in your mind poptarting is the only valid strategy right now. That will change though, it seems very clear to me PGI recognizes the problem poptarting is and they're set to bring it back in line. If this coming patch doesn't fix it, they'll patch it again and again and again until poptarting is nothing but an ashen husk in the ground.

And on that day, brawling (and clan mechs) will reign surpreme and there will be many cries of P2W.

#846 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

View PostAzrael1911, on 24 June 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

What are you talking about? The clan mechs universally destroy IS mechs in a brawl.

You only think they're bad because in your mind poptarting is the only valid strategy right now. That will change though, it seems very clear to me PGI recognizes the problem poptarting is and they're set to bring it back in line. If this coming patch doesn't fix it, they'll patch it again and again and again until poptarting is nothing but an ashen husk in the ground.

And on that day, brawling (and clan mechs) will reign surpreme and there will be many cries of P2W.

Umm. No? Dire Wolf, Summoner, Masakari and Adder are all very meh. Kit Fox is decent. Both the Stormcrow and Nova are good, and the Timberwolf is great.

I'm sorry you are having a hard time with the Clan mechs.

#847 Mavairo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

Ways to roflstomp a DW in a brawl... move 70kph and stay on it's side. Watch as it flails about ineffectually trying to hit you.

#848 Turboferret

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 24 June 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

I'm sorry you are having a hard time with the Clan mechs.

?

#849 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:21 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 24 June 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:

The Best can overcome handicaps with better strategy. Have you tested your ability that way. Have you fought and beat the meta with sub-meta weapons and Mechs? THAT is how you know you are the best.

Personally I don't believe in a absolute best, more of a tier kind of guy. But as far as this game goes winning the biggest tournies definitely puts a team as current best or at least firmly in top tier.
Doing what you suggest would only demonstrate how big of a gap there is, which is basically the same as winning decisively.

#850 Chimerahawk

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

I agree with just about everything, however I don't think clan laser duration needs to be increased. C-Pulse does need a decrease, they're completely useless as-is.

I have to say, the timberwolf could definetly use some changes. In the game now, every timberwolf I've seen killed has at lost at least one side torso. I have even seen a few that had both their side torsos stripped.

#851 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

View PostR Razor, on 24 June 2014 - 01:53 PM, said:

I did, I even laughed, it's funny and probably does have some truth to it...........what it doesn't do is have any bearing on being an arrogant feminine hygiene product and doing your best to convince people that you really are something special because you can do something in a game. At the end of the day, no matter what anyone may think or say or type, it is still just a game. Nobody (except hopefully the publisher and the developer) is making any money off of it, and I doubt it will ever turn into a paying e-sport game anytime soon. Uber warriors consistently going out of their way to insult broad swathes of the player base with asinine comments (as seen in this thread multiple times) only further the growth of the rift this forum and game has going. Once the children (and this includes those 40 year olds that somehow think this game means something when they win) learn that and run off and do their own thing without harassing the "bads", "pubbies", "underhive" etc...., things will improve, but not before. Nobody arguing here pal, to argue one must first be angered or concerned enough about something, and none of you boys have the ability to get me to that point. Sorry to disappoint you. Just calling arrogance out when it rears its ugly head.

Nah dude, you got alot of anger in you. I remember the times when I saw you ingame. Always raging. One time I killed your metamech in a Locust and you started to attack Nuclear Weapon verbally calling him names and **** like that. I really can't take seriously anything you say here.

Just admit it - you hate these guys.

#852 R Razor

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

Uh yeah okay.........perhaps you have a screen shot to back up your asinine assertation? ESPECIALLY since the closest I come to running a "meta" mech is a dual ERLL Raven.........and I sincerely doubt you killed me in a locust if I were in that. Anything is possible I suppose, just as anyone is free to come in here and post nonsense.........and I don't hate anyone, it's a game, some people just can't seem to wrap their minds around that concept and act as if they are a Super Bowl winning QB and expect to be treated like one just because they have a good twitch reflex and can press a button every time a crosshair falls across a target during a jump descent.

Then there are folks like you..........betting you aren't all that good at any form but you don't mind hopping in here and stirring the pot. Perhaps when you post something useful you'll have earned the right to take potshots, but in reference to the above, I doubt you are capable of that either.

#853 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

I would just like to thank the HoL guys for this thread. It is always good to see things from a different perspective. I can see why top tier players may be hesitant to come here, but I appreciate the effort and insight you provided.

#854 Siriothrax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

View PostSilentWolff, on 24 June 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

And hey gratz on the win, but I will tell you we beat up on SJR as well, so much so we can't even get them to play us anymore. Hopefully now that we have the players again, we will be around for future 12 man's and we all can put our money where our mouth is.

Lolwut.

#855 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:59 PM

LRMs could be reworked in their guidance mechanism to allow for greater skill. Indirect fire can be changed so that the missile flight pattern is very spread out, so focus-fire from missile boats relying on a spotter are not instantly crushing to a single target.

Also, change AMS so that AMS is vastly reduced in effectiveness when firing against a missile flight not targetted on your mech. Buff the effectiveness of AMS when it is engaging missile flights tracking *you*. That way, massed AMS is not as effective against smaller numbers of LRM launchers. Easier to balance then.

In exchange, buff direct-fired LRMs. Make them fire-and-forget, so if you lose LOS during the flight but the missiles still have LOS, the missiles continue to track toward their target on their own terminal guidance, but the spread widens dramatically, reducing the potency of the damage. If you maintain LOS throughout the flight, the missiles concentrate into a devastating salvo, rewarding you for the risk taken in maintaining exposure to the enemy.

Missile guidance could also be influenced by the shooter manipulating his reticule to curve the missile shots around obstacles, make the missiles steer into a lead pursuit instead of a pure pursuit, etc. You could try to curve the missiles around a mech who is fully twisted and shielding a hurt CT to hit that CT from the side, for example. Or aim the missiles into a hurt leg.

Basically, make the weapon more interesting to use, and give the shooter more control, to raise the skill ceiling for it.

Edited by YueFei, 24 June 2014 - 06:59 PM.

#856 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

View Postdario03, on 24 June 2014 - 03:21 PM, said:

Personally I don't believe in a absolute best, more of a tier kind of guy. But as far as this game goes winning the biggest tournies definitely puts a team as current best or at least firmly in top tier.
Doing what you suggest would only demonstrate how big of a gap there is, which is basically the same as winning decisively.

For every Mountain top there is a higher for every fist there is a faster. Bruce Lee, Wing Chun Do motto.

#857 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 24 June 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

This was a more specific/global thing for Clan Mechs (it was an actual penalty in TT I'm told to lose a side torso on a Clan Mech)... so it wasn't Madcat specific. I do try to think globally when making such changes... but sometimes even I forget something.

#858 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:21 PM

View Postheimdelight, on 22 June 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

The introduction of Clans is similar to the Stalker, only it is much proportionately larger. Alphas have even more damage, and there is a greater ability to have greater sustained DPS. This increase causes issues mostly in the lower weights of the game, removing their viability due to having no survivability. Their armor means nothing if it can't take the damage.

Our first lesson: We saw this with the Locust in the Inner Sphere. That viability has now reached other light 'Mechs. Armor given to 25, 30, and even 35 tonners has now become almost meaningless. Lights are almost cornered exclusively into a end of game clean-up role. They can no longer use their speed to take small amounts of damage and dodge many shots, and risk being the squirrel to the dog that is the enemy team. They have lost that role as 'Mechs.

This. The game has changed for lights, and not in a good way. It is much harder to do well in lights and they feel much less viable.

#859 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:27 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 24 June 2014 - 07:10 PM, said:

For every Mountain top there is a higher for every fist there is a faster. Bruce Lee, Wing Chun Do motto.

That is a self improvement saying designed to motivate people to keep improving. It also doesn't really have much to do with your suggestion.
In a actual contest to prove what team is best, bringing your best vs your opponents best is the standard way to figure it out. Would the Detroit Lions be better than the Cowboys if all the Lion's players were good at every position but repeatedly lost to the Cowboys because the Cowboys were great at their assigned positions and only those positions? Do the Cowboys have to win with their QB playing with a broken arm to prove they are the best? Would they only prove they are better by winning 172 to 0?
Like I said I don't believe in flat out best but if anybody can claim it its the Lords. They don't need to go out and win a tourney with random builds to do so.
There might be better teams out there but nobody has proved it yet.

Edited by dario03, 24 June 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#860 heimdelight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

View PostSiriothrax, on 24 June 2014 - 06:23 PM, said:

Lolwut.

You heard him. In some far off fantasy land, his team beat you guys in MWO so badly and so often that you refuse to play them anymore.

Unfortunately for them, in the real world, they are still required to put their money where their mouth is, and have yet to do so. Actually doing things is different than making them up in their head.

Edited by heimdelight, 24 June 2014 - 07:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users