BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#17501 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:45 AM

That explains it.

Toblerone shrank their candy size, so the Halberdman ended up the Hatchetman by 3025.

#17502 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:51 AM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 31 August 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

That explains it.

Toblerone shrank their candy size, so the Halberdman ended up the Hatchetman by 3025.

You ever try to use a Halberd in CQB? I can totally understand turning it into a Hatchet just to give that 40t mech a chance in CQB....

#17503 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:01 AM

You ever try to use a Halberd in CQB? I can totally understand turning it into a Hatchet just to give that 40t mech a chance in CQB....

Actually, yes. First newbie mistake of polearm use: Thinking only one end is the business end.

Now, a LINE of polearms? Then it gets awkward. Or trying that with a pike.

#17504 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:48 AM

Guys, if you ask PGI to add punches and kicks they will never do melee. You are not helping. But if you ask them to add melee attacks just for the mechs using melee weapons, it is possible.

Code-wise, a hatchet/ax is just a very slow "projectile" (probably making a curve while traveling just ahead the melee weapon). The greatest problem here is the animation - which is much easier to implement for just a few mechs (with specific "melee" hardpoints). If you added it to all mechs in the game you would need to consider ranged weapons in the animated arm, combination of walking/kick animation, and several other issues.

#17505 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

View PostOdanan, on 31 August 2017 - 06:02 AM, said:

Where is the Berserker?

the what?

View PostMetus regem, on 31 August 2017 - 06:56 AM, said:

Not to mention in the first printing of the Hatchetman, didn't have the hatchet, but a couple extra SHS as the rules for hatchets were not done yet.... So there is precedent for having it with out melee.

it did and it didn't. Rules weren't in place, but it is clearly there in art and in fluff. It was initially just a Club that the mech was able to use 1 handed, though as you note there were no specific hatchet rules yet.

View PostMetus regem, on 31 August 2017 - 07:51 AM, said:

but it's 45 tons....

#17506 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:57 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 August 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

the what?

it did and it didn't. Rules weren't in place, but it is clearly there in art and in fluff. It was initially just a Club that the mech was able to use 1 handed, though as you note there were no specific hatchet rules yet.

but it's 45 tons....

The most awesome melee mech ever
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Berserker

#17507 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:06 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 31 August 2017 - 09:57 AM, said:

This!
Posted Image

#17508 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 August 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

but it's 45 tons....

You're right, brain laps on my part... Still it's lightly armoured so it'll need the speed of a hatchet over a Halberd in CQB to stand a chance.

#17509 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 31 August 2017 - 09:57 AM, said:

I'm sorry my eyes see nothing, refuse to accept such a hideous design actually was made canon...

View PostOdanan, on 31 August 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

This!
Posted Image

nah nah nah nah nah NOT LOOKING!

#17510 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:30 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 August 2017 - 10:20 AM, said:

I'm sorry my eyes see nothing, refuse to accept such a hideous design actually was made canon...

nah nah nah nah nah NOT LOOKING!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat????

#17511 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:31 AM

View PostOdanan, on 31 August 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat????

Posted Image

#17512 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:36 AM

If we got specially animated melee attacks for mechs with hatchets, then I want the Scarabus.
Posted Image
30 ton bug mech(yes, it is in fact a bug mech, and we always need more of them) that runs at Locust max speed by default and has a semi-respectable ranged armament? Yes please.

Edited by Requiemking, 31 August 2017 - 10:36 AM.

#17513 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:09 AM

View PostRequiemking, on 31 August 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

If we got specially animated melee attacks for mechs with hatchets, then I want the Scarabus.
Posted Image
30 ton bug mech(yes, it is in fact a bug mech, and we always need more of them) that runs at Locust max speed by default and has a semi-respectable ranged armament? Yes please.

Yes please.

Come on, PGI: "Solaris Pack*"! (Scarabus, Hatchetman, Axman and Berserker)

*you can say the revenue is for funding the Solaris mode.

View PostKarl Streiger, on 31 August 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Yeah i have no problem with the Hatchetman without working Hatchet (make it a gimmick in MWO) like a extra large shield arm....put the weight in armor and hope for HBS to implement the hatchet there Posted Image

Oh no, if they are going to add the Hatchetman to MWO (or any other mech with a melee weapon), they need to make the hatchet actually works. Or it will be like adding a Tiger I tank in a WW2 game without a working main gun.

#17514 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:46 PM

You're right, brain laps on my part... Still it's lightly armoured so it'll need the speed of a hatchet over a Halberd in CQB to stand a chance.

Ironically, the pre-hatchet version is rather well protected. But yeah, all the versions now carry relatively accurate weapons (usually a hatchet, occasionally a sword in a post-Jihad refit) rather than big crushers like a mace.

#17515 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 31 August 2017 - 07:51 AM, said:

Halberds can be used in close quarters despite what popular media and most video games like to portray them as. For Honor did a fantastic job with the Lawbringer's combat move set that properly displays this. His light attacks consist of poking the opponent with the spike end of his polearm. In Talhoffer's manual of the polearm section shows that polearms can be used in a variety of ways in close combat. Here would be one example how you could use a polearm in close quarters:

Posted Image

It also goes in the territory of why knights would use half-swording for extra thrusting power and closer reach when their weapons were long. In the medieval battlefield pole axes and polearms were the preferred go to weapon. This was mainly due to the versatility of the weapon. Swords were mainly used as a back up for knights and soldiers despite the popularity of them in media like Game of Thrones.

#17516 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:03 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 31 August 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

Halberds can be used in close quarters despite what popular media and most video games like to portray them as. For Honor did a fantastic job with the Lawbringer's combat move set that properly displays this. His light attacks consist of poking the opponent with the spike end of his polearm. In Talhoffer's manual of the polearm section shows that polearms can be used in a variety of ways in close combat. Here would be one example how you could use a polearm in close quarters:

Posted Image

It also goes in the territory of why knights would use half-swording for extra thrusting power and closer reach when their weapons were long. In the medieval battlefield pole axes and polearms were the preferred go to weapon. This was mainly due to the versatility of the weapon. Swords were mainly used as a back up for knights and soldiers despite the popularity of them in media like Game of Thrones.

I know, I just how ever often beat those with Halberds when I use an arming sword and heater shield or hammer and heater shield at SCA events....

Yes I am one of those jerks that use their shield the way they are meant to be used, not just a defensive tool but offensively as well.

That being said, when facing an equally skilled opponent with a Halberd I have to work twice as hard as he does to get a win.

#17517 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:22 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 31 August 2017 - 02:03 PM, said:

I know, I just how ever often beat those with Halberds when I use an arming sword and heater shield or hammer and heater shield at SCA events....

Yes I am one of those jerks that use their shield the way they are meant to be used, not just a defensive tool but offensively as well.

That being said, when facing an equally skilled opponent with a Halberd I have to work twice as hard as he does to get a win.

SCA?

Posted Image
Spoiler

#17518 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:18 AM

So, PGI, Hellspawn today or Monday?

#17519 Metus regem