Ultimate Mech Discussion Thread

BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#1041 Znail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

View PostThontor, on 29 November 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

The mechs with their names crossed out are just mechs Odanan feels are unlikely to be put in MWO anytime soon... It's nothing official... He's been wrong before :D

I don't think he saw the Flea, Spider, or Highlander coming.

Flea was rather obvious though. It was the only semi-well known 20-ton mech that isn't an unseen. Well known as in showing up in books or previous games. Locust, Wasp or Stinger would have been more iconic, but it seems like they are avoiding all the unseen mechs, even if they have some redisigned art as reseen, I guess it makes sense to avoid legal risks, even if small.

Edited by Znail, 29 November 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#1042 Terror Teddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

View PostOdanan, on 29 November 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

I didn't! :D And mechs that are not in the list are mechs that most likely wouldn't fit in MWO. .

Like the Piranha. 12MG's...Still, im pretty sure SOMEONE will manage to squeeze in a gauss in it.

#1043 Onyx Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, EARTH MK II

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

View PostBurning Chrome, on 29 November 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

Well that is F-ing disappointing.

Really wish PGI would quite f-ing around and release the mechs in the order the art was released...y'know, meet players expectations. (intended or not)

I could give a rat's-@$$ about the Spider at this point.

Was really looking forward to the TBT series...-5N, -5S, -5J, -7M and that bizarre but fun Kurita variant the -7K. Hell, even the TBT-3C could be added immediately.

Just what MWO needs right now....another light mech.

Won't be activating my premium account any time soon I guess.

BALLS.

Well I'm not disappointed that they've broken from the trend of releasing mechs in same order. Only 22% voted that the current schedule was fine in this poll.. http://mwomercs.com/...70#entry1412870

But...
The Treb may have been the better choice especially since some variants have JJ...but we don't have a light Humanoid mech with JJ yet either. A lot of us hate the no armed chicken leg style mechs. So at least those people (Like me) finally get a light they may want to pilot.

I basically agree that we have enough light mechs, especially with the spider.... They need to concentrate on other stuff. Flea should be one of the last mechs added before clans....we don't need another armless chicken...especially now that we have an assault one coming soon (Stalker). I didn't sign up for armless chicken mechs online.

Edited by Onyx Rain, 30 November 2012 - 01:59 AM.

#1044 sarkun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:40 AM

I kind of wish they stuck to the announcement order for releases... I just can't wait for the Trebuchet... my favorite weapon combos: missiles + lasers, my favorite class, fast, jump jets... I couldn't ask for more... well, maybe a fast 55 ton medium (Dervish <3)?

Edited by sarkun, 30 November 2012 - 03:46 AM.

#1045 Terror Teddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:23 AM

New mech announcement after a collaboration with Gearbox Software.

Name: CL4P-TP
Class: Light
Weight: 20

This lighweight "mech" is unusual since it is the only monowheel mech design in existence. It has a superior turn rate to make up for the fact that it lacks a movable torso.

It is an excellent scout mech due to it's speed and experimental stealth armor but it does lack a bit of weaponry.
Head: Medium Laser
L.Arm: X2 MG's
R.Arm: Large Laser

Note: Cannot use stairs

Edited by Terror Teddy, 30 November 2012 - 04:24 AM.

#1046 Urza Mechwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBrazil, Santa Catarina

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

View PostOnyx Rain, on 30 November 2012 - 01:09 AM, said:

Well I'm not disappointed that they've broken from the trend of releasing mechs in same order. Only 22% voted that the current schedule was fine in this poll.. http://mwomercs.com/...70#entry1412870

But...
The Treb may have been the better choice especially since some variants have JJ...but we don't have a light Humanoid mech with JJ yet either. A lot of us hate the no armed chicken leg style mechs. So at least those people (Like me) finally get a light they may want to pilot.

I basically agree that we have enough light mechs, especially with the spider.... They need to concentrate on other stuff. Flea should be one of the last mechs added before clans....we don't need another armless chicken...especially now that we have an assault one coming soon (Stalker). I didn't sign up for armless chicken mechs online.

I am on opposite side. I hate humanoid like mechs. Make me feel I am at a pporly game designed on the 50's. The atlas redesign altough made me feel almost content.

#1047 Shadowsword8

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

Everytime I see one of the TT humanoïd mech's drawings, I cringe a little inside. They look like men wearning cardboard disguises.

I want mechs to look like the war machines they are. Like the Mad Cat who is, for me, THE Mech.

#1048 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

i honestly don't see what the spider is going to do that the jenner isn't doing now

the commando is already pointless and the raven is basically pointless except for ECM which only 1 variant fits anyway. the last thing we need is another pointless light mech, but we're getting 2 with the flea and the spider

the game needs ALOT more mediums and heavies. like 3x as many as we have now. those are the classes that are supposed to make up most of the force on the field, and instead we're getting a game that's weighted towards lights

game should be 20/30/30/20 or 10/40/40/10, instead its 30/25/25/20

if we ever actually put weight limits on drops then obviously the commando and flea and all that will make total sense as options, but until then why would you pilot a 20 ton mech over a 30 ton?

#1049 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

View PostJason1138, on 30 November 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

i honestly don't see what the spider is going to do that the jenner isn't doing now

the commando is already pointless and the raven is basically pointless except for ECM which only 1 variant fits anyway. the last thing we need is another pointless light mech, but we're getting 2 with the flea and the spider

the game needs ALOT more mediums and heavies. like 3x as many as we have now. those are the classes that are supposed to make up most of the force on the field, and instead we're getting a game that's weighted towards lights

game should be 20/30/30/20 or 10/40/40/10, instead its 30/25/25/20

if we ever actually put weight limits on drops then obviously the commando and flea and all that will make total sense as options, but until then why would you pilot a 20 ton mech over a 30 ton?

I don't like the Spider either. I guess they didn't have many light mech options (which is true).
The reason I never thought the Spider would be chosen is because as it is canon, it wouldn't fit in MWO. At that time, I didn't know they could move some hardpoints to fit a variant to the game (like they did with the Cicada) - which I have no complains (canon sometimes is stupid).

The original Spider variants are this:

Spoiler

I know, horrible, right?
But I think they will do something like this:

--------------------------------------
Spider SDR-5V (Jump) - moving the center medium lasers to the side torsos (no visual difference, but what a change in terms of hardpoints).

LA
LT 3e (medium laser)
CT
H
RT 3e (medium laser)
RA

Spider SDR-5D (Jump) - less total hardpoints because of the weapons in the arm advantage.

LA
LT 3e (medium laser) - or could be in the CT.
CT
H
RT
RA 2e (flamer)

Spider SDR-5K (Jump)

LA 2b (machinegun)
LT 1e (medium laser) - or could be in the CT.
CT
H
RT
RA 2b (machinegun)

Spider SDR-7M (Jump, Endo Steel, Ferro Fibrous) - maybe with possibility of mounting ECM to make it more different than the SDR-5V.

LA
LT 3e (medium pulse laser)
CT
H
RT 3e (medium pulse laser)
RA

These modifications would make the Spider a viable light mech.

Edited by Odanan, 27 December 2012 - 10:14 AM.

#1050 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

View PostOdanan, on 30 November 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

I don't like the Spider either. I guess they didn't have many light mech options (which is true).
The reason I never tought the Spider would be chosen is because as it is canon, it wouldn't fit in MWO. At that time, I didn't know they could move some hardpoints to fit a variant to the game (like they did with the Cicada) - which I have no complains (canon sometimes is stupid).

The original Spider variants are this:

Spoiler

I know, horrible, right?
But I think they will do something like this:

Spider SDR-5V (Jump) - moving the center medium lasers to the side torsos (no visual difference, but what a change in terms of hardpoints).

LA
LT 3e (medium laser)
CT
H
RT 3e (medium laser)
RA

Spider SDR-5D (Jump) - less total hardpoints because of the weapons in the arm advantage.

LA
LT 3e (medium laser)
CT
H
RT
RA 2e (flamer)

Spider SDR-5K (Jump)

LA 2b (machinegun)
LT 1e (medium laser)
CT
H
RT
RA 2b (machinegun)

Spider SDR-7M (Jump, Endo Steel, Ferro Fibrous) - maybe with possibility of mounting ECM to make it more different than the SDR-5V.

LA
LT 3e (medium pulse laser)
CT
H
RT 3e (medium pulse laser)
RA

These modifications would make the Spider a viable light mech.

However, part of the issue with the Spider in that regard is that the Devs had stated that no 'Mech variant would have any hardpoints in a location where said variant did not have any weapons.
This was stated in Q&A 06:

A Swayback Hunchie would have energy hard points in the arms, and right torso cannon mount. Does that mean in the left torso, where no weapon is normally mounted, there are non-weapon hard points for empty crit slots, which means no weapon can be mounted there? –Namwons

[DAVID] Yes, if there are no weapons in a location on the default loadout, then there will be no weapon hardpoints in that location. Equipment generally doesn’t use hardpoints and can be placed anywhere, including the Hunchback’s left torso.
So far, nearly every 'Mech released thus far has, for better or worse, held true to the above.

As such, I see them being more likely to leave the energy hardpoints in the CT.

Also, we know from Ask the Devs 19 that only the -5V, -5K, and -5D are/were planned.

Q: What variants are planned for the Jagermech, Spider, Flea? [Redshift2k5]
A: Spider: SDR-5V, SDR-5k, SDR-5D. JagerMech: JM6-DD, JM6-S, JM6-A. I don't have the Flea variants handy, sorry [Garth]

The result of that would be:

SDR-5V Spider:
x2 Energy hardpoints (CT)
x1 AMS (LT)
+ECM

SDR-5D Spider:
x2 Energy hardpoint (CT)
x1-x2 Energy hardpoint (RA)
x1 AMS (LT)

SDR-5K Spider:
x1-x2 Energy hardpoint (CT)
x1 Ballistic hardpoint (LA)
x1 Ballistic hardpoint (RA)
x1 AMS (LT)

The default loadout of the -5D and -5K makes them more likely to have more hardpoints (3-4 hardpoints) than the -5V (2 hardpoints), but the -5V could be granted the advantage of access to ECM as a trade-off.

Your thoughts?

Edited by Strum Wealh, 30 November 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#1051 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

View PostThontor, on 30 November 2012 - 12:41 PM, said:

They have moved hardpoints before.. One Cicada variant in the TRO has a machine gun in each leg, in MWO they are moved to the torsos

True - the CDA-3C's machine guns were moved from the legs to the corresponding torso sections.

Though, that could be considered an extreme and game-breaking case to get the weapons out of the legs (which could present aiming problems since the legs and torso may be pointed in separate directions).

While Odanan's hardpoint proposal would increase the overall flexibility of the Spider, the SDR-5V's situation isn't mechanically game-breaking like the CDA-3C's...?

#1052 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

View PostThontor, on 30 November 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

I agree, I don't think they will move the ct energy hardpoints..

But I can't see them releasing this mech with just 2 hardpoints limited to 2 one slot weapons or 1 two slot weapon...

The minimum in the game right now is four total, with the Commando...

I think they will end up adding hardpoints somewhere.. But not moving the ct ones.

If anything... they might, maybe, add a single Energy hardpoint to each side-torso of the -5V while letting each of the -5D and -5K have two Energy hardpoints in the CT, letting the -5D have two Energy hardpoints in the RA, and letting the -5K have a single Ballistic hardpoint in each arm?

SDR-5V Spider:
x1 Energy hardpoint (LT)
x1 Energy hardpoint (RT)
x1 AMS (LT?)

SDR-5D Spider:
x2 Energy hardpoints (RA)
x1 AMS (LT?)

SDR-5K Spider:
x1 Ballistic hardpoint (LA)
x1 Ballistic hardpoint (RA)
x1 AMS (LT?)

That would give each variant a total of four hardpoints and create greater variety, but would go against the idea of adding to the net number of weapon-carrying sections... :D

#1053 JudgeDeathCZ

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:18 AM

View PostTerror Teddy, on 29 November 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

Like the Piranha. 12MG's...Still, im pretty sure SOMEONE will manage to squeeze in a gauss in it.

Normal gauss not.But light gauss probably yes <_< .
Anyway i hope we will get 12xMicro laser variant for Spider(or it is another mech) after Clan invasion.Also looking for partial wings variant :) .

Edited by JudgeDeathCZ, 01 December 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#1054 chiXnhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:50 AM

Who cares? It's another useless light. No one is going to use them because the Raven with ECM and Jenners being the best light. Them adding tons of lights is just dumb. Once the netcode gets better Fleas and Spyders will dissapear from the battle field.

#1055 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

everyone posted all those spider variants, but what will any of them do that a jenner doesn't do already? that's the point

they've made the jenner the OP king of lights and there's no reason to drive anything else. the fact that they were going to give the Jenner ECM too until everyone freaked about it just goes to show they don't even realize its a problem

as the game stands now, why would you EVER drive a flea, spider or commando, other than the looks of the mech? they're not going to be faster. Jenner already has JJ's. they're not going to be more armored, or have more weapons. If this game had anything for mechs with hands to do, that might be something, but it doesn't.

there's no reason i can see. So they're going to continue to drop new light mechs that no one will drive, instead of adding depth to medium or heavy

#1056 JudgeDeathCZ

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:00 AM

Yes now there is not reason.
But when there will be some kind of toujrnaments/league where a must have drop will be 2-2-2-2 with tonage restriction let say 500 ton then u can choose if you will run Atlas+Flea or stalker+Jenner.
Or when you will play in merc grp and have to pay for drop to mission by c-bills ber ton like its in MW4.There Spider with 4 Mlas will do same work like Jenner with 4 Mlas for better price :).
However now is not reason to play Spider/Flea over Jenner or Raven.

#1057 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 30 November 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

True - the CDA-3C's machine guns were moved from the legs to the corresponding torso sections.

Though, that could be considered an extreme and game-breaking case to get the weapons out of the legs (which could present aiming problems since the legs and torso may be pointed in separate directions).

While Odanan's hardpoint proposal would increase the overall flexibility of the Spider, the SDR-5V's situation isn't mechanically game-breaking like the CDA-3C's...?

You forget the Cicada CDA-2B doesn't have the lasers in the arms, but in the torso, exactly like the CDA-2A.
The weapons were moved to the arms, to make a different variant.

They did once, they can (and should) do again.

(or the Spider will be an utterly useless mech)

#1058 nostra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

Lucky for us, whichever 'mech comes next, Alex Iglesias can make it look good. Hell...I was never a fan of the Hunchback, Centurion, or Blackjack until I saw the AMAZING redesigns done as concept art for this game, and I've been a battletech fan for over 15 years. Alex's designs take the old, outdated 'mech designs (y'know...the ones that were cool in the '80s and '90s, but really don't conform to the "coolness" standards of today) and revolutionized them.

#1059 Gamer Luna

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:17 AM

so, I've been doing some digging, and I've come across something that some players may like.
One, in the year 3050, three iconic 'mechs came out. These 'mechs included the iconic clan creations such as the vulture, the thor, and the loki. Also, and this is all according to the battletech readout for the years 3050, the mad cat came out. I know that some of these may never come into the game due to the legal issues stated above, but it's a nice thing to think about. I don't know about you all, but this Mechwarrior wants his vulture.

#1060 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

View PostGamer Luna, on 02 December 2012 - 05:17 AM, said:

so, I've been doing some digging, and I've come across something that some players may like.
One, in the year 3050, three iconic 'mechs came out. These 'mechs included the iconic clan creations such as the vulture, the thor, and the loki. Also, and this is all according to the battletech readout for the years 3050, the mad cat came out. I know that some of these may never come into the game due to the legal issues stated above, but it's a nice thing to think about. I don't know about you all, but this Mechwarrior wants his vulture.

Read this.

Fortunately, no omni clan mech has legal issues.
And yes, Mad Cat, Vulture, Thor, Loki and friends are coming next year (at least their concept arts).

60 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 60 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook