BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#17321 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:54 AM

Nexus+Jackrabbit would be very attractive due to the variety it offers. And I think this Mech would be quite good. There is, however, one big problem: the vast majority of the Nexus variants are centered on C3. Not just a slave, but a CPU, and it's important to the design of the Mech as such.
I am not really comfortable with changing the base characteristics of a Mech that much. (Also, Nexus is an Unseen from VMI and I am not sure what the legal status of the VMI-inspired Mechs is...).

I mean, I would probably buy it, because the Mech itself and its lore are really nice. I have a soft spot for those lost-and-found Mechs, and the RWR-origins make it even more unique. Having a hero-Mech in RWR-livery would be great!
Posted Image

Edited by FLG 01, 13 August 2017 - 09:57 AM.

#17322 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 13 August 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

Nexus+Jackrabbit would be very attractive due to the variety it offers. And I think this Mech would be quite good. There is, however, one big problem: the vast majority of the Nexus variants are centered on C3. Not just a slave, but a CPU, and it's important to the design of the Mech as such.
I am not really comfortable with changing the base characteristics of a Mech that much. (Also, Nexus is an Unseen from VMI and I am not sure what the legal status of the VMI-inspired Mechs is...).

I mean, I would probably buy it, because the Mech itself and its lore are really nice. I have a soft spot for those lost-and-found Mechs, and the RWR-origins make it even more unique. Having a hero-Mech in RWR-livery would be great!
Posted Image

Of course you would like the RWR. After all, your sig is Queen Insanity herself.

#17323 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:00 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 14 August 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:

Of course you would like the RWR. After all, your sig is Queen Insanity herself.

When did Katherine ever don a uniform? Posted Image

Katrina Steiner, the grandmother of Victor and Katherine Steiner-Davion, was perhaps the greatest Archon the Lyrans ever had. That's why Katherine adopted/usurped her first name, but even as she called herself Katrina she never gave up the Steiner-Davion name (obviously not because she did not care for any of those, she just wanted the power granted by those names).

And, for the record, while Katherine was an incredibly bad ruler she was not insane. Just bad.

Anyway, since it is a fictional universe I allow myself to like the RWR and its imagery, especially as some of its personnel is actually quite likeable but fighting for the wrong side. Think of Patrick Scoffins who was kind of a Rommel-character.

Edited by FLG 01, 14 August 2017 - 12:02 PM.

#17324 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:08 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 14 August 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

When did Katherine ever don a uniform? Posted Image

Katrina Steiner, the grandmother of Victor and Katherine Steiner-Davion, was perhaps the greatest Archon the Lyrans ever had. That's why Katherine adopted/usurped her first name, but even as she called herself Katrina she never gave up the Steiner-Davion name (obviously not because she did not care for any of those, she just wanted the power granted by those names).

And, for the record, while Katherine was an incredibly bad ruler she was not insane. Just bad.

Anyway, since it is a fictional universe I allow myself to like the RWR and its imagery, especially as some of its personnel is actually quite likeable but fighting for the wrong side. Think of Patrick Scoffins who was kind of a Rommel-character.

I couldn't agree more about Cersei lannister Kathrine Stiner-Davion....

I really should get around to seeing if you could do one like that for the Fox, Hanse Davion (that or M.I. 6, the Rabid Foxes)... I'm not much for skill when it comes to sigs...

Edit:

As for Kathrine, she did don a uniform, when she won her trial of position in Clan Wolf.... It likely would've looked like this:

Posted Image

Edited by Metus regem, 14 August 2017 - 12:12 PM.

#17325 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 14 August 2017 - 12:08 PM, said:

I couldn't agree more about Cersei lannister Kathrine Stiner-Davion....

I really should get around to seeing if you could do one like that for the Fox, Hanse Davion (that or M.I. 6, the Rabid Foxes)... I'm not much for skill when it comes to sigs...

As for Kathrine, she did don a uniform, when she won her trial of position in Clan Wolf.... It likely would've looked like this:

True, I sometimes forget her warrior status among the Clans. Says a lot about the Clans if you ask me... Posted Image

Btw., I can do a sig for you if drop me a PM and tell me what you want.

Edited by FLG 01, 14 August 2017 - 12:20 PM.

#17326 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:57 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 14 August 2017 - 12:20 PM, said:

True, I sometimes forget her warrior status among the Clans. Says a lot about the Clans if you ask me... Posted Image

Says a lot about the writers if you ask me...

#17327 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

True, I sometimes forget her warrior status among the Clans. Says a lot about the Clans if you ask me...

She literally took a Warhawk out, alphaed a smaller 'Mech to death in a one-shot, and then shut down from the heat load and was taken down.

That, however qualifies as passing, if in a pathetic fashion. She did end up in a solhama unit after Khan Ward died and ended up stabbed to death by her incestous-but-not-really "son" after living over a century.

#17328 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:16 PM

Isn't Alaric Clone the ultimate Mary sue?
Btt wonder how the Savage Wolf would work in mwo l
20% more armor but dies with st loose and its a smaller but wider

Another question: Is there a reason that MWO does not have asymetrical arm configs (warwolf, shootist, starslayer)
Arms of Victor, highlander etc. Should have no ellbow

#17329 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:36 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 14 August 2017 - 08:16 PM, said:

Another question: Is there a reason that MWO does not have asymetrical arm configs (warwolf, shootist, starslayer)
Arms of Victor, highlander etc. Should have no ellbow

I think is just about aesthetics. The first Dragon concept art had the arm done correctly, but somewhere sometime they changed it.
Posted Image

#17330 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:44 AM

View PostOdanan, on 15 August 2017 - 04:36 AM, said:

I think is just about aesthetics. The first Dragon concept art had the arm done correctly, but somewhere sometime they changed it.
Posted Image

The way I heard the tale go, PGI was going to go with this model, but people on the forums back then threw up a stink about it not showing the LAA that is in the RA of the Dragon... thing is in all the official art work, it's never clear if the arm does actually have an elbow.... Personally I'm of the thought that it lacks an elbow and that the LAA is used to give it some yaw in addition to pitch from the UAA.

I like the raised arm and if you ask me it'd make the Dragon better, if it actually had that kind of arm.

#17331 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:32 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 15 August 2017 - 06:44 AM, said:

The way I heard the tale go, PGI was going to go with this model, but people on the forums back then threw up a stink about it not showing the LAA that is in the RA of the Dragon... thing is in all the official art work, it's never clear if the arm does actually have an elbow.... Personally I'm of the thought that it lacks an elbow and that the LAA is used to give it some yaw in addition to pitch from the UAA.

I like the raised arm and if you ask me it'd make the Dragon better, if it actually had that kind of arm.

Yep. That's another of that circumstances when the TRO concept art doesn't match the mech sheet.

I don't blame PGI for doing that way, though. Clan omnimechs (those you can add/remove lower hand actuators) would be specially tricky to implement.

#17332 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

View PostOdanan, on 15 August 2017 - 08:32 AM, said:

Yep. That's another of that circumstances when the TRO concept art doesn't match the mech sheet.

I don't blame PGI for doing that way, though. Clan omnimechs (those you can add/remove lower hand actuators) would be specially tricky to implement.

Well just look at a Timber Wolf, doesn't mater if you have a PPC / AC/s in it, it still has an elbow just like it does with it is packing lasers....

#17333 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

View PostOdanan, on 15 August 2017 - 04:36 AM, said:

Posted Image

Unfortunately it seems that MWO's current arms/torso system can't support mechs that have one high arm and one low arm. Every mech in MWO has either both arms low or both high.

#17334 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

View PostFupDup, on 15 August 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

Unfortunately it seems that MWO's current arms/torso system can't support mechs that have one high arm and one low arm. Every mech in MWO has either both arms low or both high.

That's not a technical issue, just a cosmetic choice. Some mechs do have very different arms, like the Summoner and Bushwacker.

Edited by Odanan, 15 August 2017 - 10:15 AM.

#17335 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

So, how are those Arctic Cheetahs with 8xMGs doing? (test for Piranha)

#17336 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:06 PM

View PostOdanan, on 15 August 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

Why worry about the Arctic Cheetah when the Gargoyle has just inherited so much power with its torso mounts!?

You've actually made me curious about the cheetah so I'll pick one up soon.

#17337 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:08 PM

View PostOdanan, on 15 August 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

Going by the thread:

https://mwomercs.com...ting-mgs-is-op/

The OP thinks they are OP when used en-mass, most posters don't.

That's fair they are a weapon system with a very small window of usefulness. That being said, I have had fun with Bulletstorm for a while now.

Edit:

And a big thanks to FLG01 for the signature.

Edited by Metus regem, 15 August 2017 - 02:09 PM.

#17338 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:49 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 15 August 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

Going by the thread:

https://mwomercs.com...ting-mgs-is-op/

The OP thinks they are OP when used en-mass, most posters don't.

That's fair they are a weapon system with a very small window of usefulness. That being said, I have had fun with Bulletstorm for a while now.

Edit:

And a big thanks to FLG01 for the signature.

I thought it was te Mist Lynx that had 8 MG?

#17339 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:51 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 August 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

It's both.

#17340 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 August 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

More saying that a difference of 1MG does not render them OP when boated, doubly so when they can be hard countered with range.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users