BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#18441 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:25 PM

Last year, the Javelin was announced on Jan 18, so it might be that the new Mech will be announced in the third week of January - that would be the 16th.

My money is on the Argus for many reasons: it is time for an IS Mech; it is time for a heavy since they released only a single heavy in 2017 (the more than mediocre Thanatos)*; the Argus seem to be relatively popular for a non-3025 design, and it actually brings something new to table in the 60t weight class, which is the least represented weight among IS heavies.

I think it would make some sense even though it is far from the best choice.

* And, if I am not mistaken, the last heavy Mech before the Thanatos was the ... Archer, announced in 2015! Granted, the IS heavy selection is relatively representative and good. But it's the FCCW-era now. We have new and exiting and powerful units available. That makes the Thanatos, again, a comparatively poor choice. Don't get me wrong, I like the Mech. It just really pales in comparison to many, many other Mechs, especially 75t Mechs.

#18442 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:41 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 04 January 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

My money is on the Argus for many reasons: it is time for an IS Mech; it is time for a heavy since they released only a single heavy in 2017 (the more than mediocre Thanatos)*; the Argus seem to be relatively popular for a non-3025 design, and it actually brings something new to table in the 60t weight class, which is the least represented weight among IS heavies.

* And, if I am not mistaken, the last heavy Mech before the Thanatos was the ... Archer, announced in 2015!

You forgot the Roughneck, the Nova Cat if you count Clan & the Sun Spider if you count announced 'mechs.

Of the 23(26) 'mechs released(announced) since the Archer;
3(4) Light - 2 IS, 1(2) Clan
8(9) Medium - 5 IS, 3(4) Clan
5(6) Heavy - 2 IS, 3(4) Clan
7 Assault - 3 IS, 4 Clan

Remember though, the Archer was the 4th IS Heavy in a row. Plugging in the Alpha Lance 'mechs (& the Urbanmech), instead it looks like this;

28(31) 'mechs released(announced);
4(5) Light - 3 IS, 1(2) Clan
8(9) Medium - 5 IS, 3(4) Clan
9(10) Heavy - 6 IS, 3(4) Clan
7 Assault - 3 IS, 4 Clan

#18443 xVLFBERHxT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 698 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

I know, it will not not happend, but i like the Emperor Posted Image .
Posted Image
Check the paint job!

Edited by xVLFBERHxT, 04 January 2018 - 01:55 PM.

#18444 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:58 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 04 January 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

You forgot the Roughneck, the Nova Cat if you count Clan & the Sun Spider if you count announced 'mechs.

I was talking IS heavies only, but indeed overlooked the Roughneck.

Of course one can cherry pick dates from when to start to make any point, which is what I admittedly did too. But even with all the date shifting, and even when acknowledging that 2016 was a good year for IS heavies, there is little doubt that the IS was not exactly showered with heavies last year.

The heavies are the most popular weight class, so I'd expect PGI to make up for it. I mean it is not like the Thanatos is the heavy to end all heavies...

#18445 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:45 PM

Yeah, it takes them a bit to get rolling again after the holiday break.

FLG's totally right. Later in the month is more likely, for the purpose of managing expectations.

And hey, if we get an announcement earlier, it's a pleasant surprise, right Odanan?

#18446 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 04 January 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

there is little doubt that the IS was not exactly showered with heavies last year.

The heavies are the most popular weight class, so I'd expect PGI to make up for it.

True, but of the 15 'mechs released last year, 10 of them were IS and 2 of those 10 were a Heavy.

2 Light
4 Medium
2 Heavy
2 Assault

With the first 3 'mechs releasing this year already being Clan and the IS Medium category being the largest (and having received the most 'mechs last year), I think we can safely say we aren't getting a Clan or Medium 'mech next.

I love a good Heavy 'mech, I just don't think one should be next.

#18447 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 04 January 2018 - 03:03 PM, said:

True, but of the 15 'mechs released last year, 10 of them were IS and 2 of those 10 were a Heavy.

2 Light
4 Medium
2 Heavy
2 Assault

With the first 3 'mechs releasing this year already being Clan and the IS Medium category being the largest (and having received the most 'mechs last year), I think we can safely say we aren't getting a Clan or Medium 'mech next.

I love a good Heavy 'mech, I just don't think one should be next.

Honestly, if I could have my choice it'd be a light, the Stinger to be exact, but I expect either the Hollander (might as well through bad designs right after another for the IS...) or if we are lucky and get something like the Stiletto.

#18448 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:05 PM

Well I would love to see a new IS light Mech because I need a new one. There are many fascinating and good designs, from classics like the Stinger/Wasp to dark horses like the Brigand, and everything in between like the Mongoose. I just don't expect to see them.
The popular options are either the 3025 designs (which PGI may hold back), or the Hollander (the less said about that pile of junk the better; PGI should protect the community from it).

#18449 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:21 PM

View PostVirlutris, on 04 January 2018 - 02:45 PM, said:

Yeah, it takes them a bit to get rolling again after the holiday break.

FLG's totally right. Later in the month is more likely, for the purpose of managing expectations.

And hey, if we get an announcement earlier, it's a pleasant surprise, right Odanan?

Right... :/

View PostxVLFBERHxT, on 04 January 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

Posted Image
Check the paint job!

What a beautiful piece of art!

Alex Iglesias, of course.

PS: Emperor, Thunder and... Snake?

#18450 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:22 PM

View PostOvion, on 13 December 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

Posted Image
Honestly, what we need next, are:
some IS and Clan 20T mechs,
some IS and Clan 25T mechs,
a Clan 60T mech,
a Clan 80T mech,
some IS and Clan 95T mechs.

Hey Odanan! *ahem*

O Great Proprietor of Mech Discussion, please consider my petition:

Would you consider putting this in the OP under the spoiler for mechs in the game? Not that you have to update it all the ding-dang time or anything, it just seems like it's a helpful enough visual representation that it would be ... well, helpful ... to have it on the OP.

That's if Ovion gave consent, of course. Please consider it?

Edited by Virlutris, 04 January 2018 - 04:23 PM.

#18451 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:23 PM

View PostVirlutris, on 04 January 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

Would you consider putting this in the OP under the spoiler for mechs in the game? Not that you have to update it all the ding-dang time or anything, it just seems like it's a helpful enough visual representation that it would be ... well, helpful ... to have it on the OP.

Right away!

#18452 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:02 PM

View PostxVLFBERHxT, on 04 January 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

Posted Image
Check the paint job!

The Thunder right behind it looks quite epic as well.

#18453 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:03 PM

There is the Lobo
Posted Image

40 ton clan mech.

#18454 Gasoline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:07 PM

The problem with IS lights in the Civil War era is there're actually very few decent choices.

20t: Porcupine (IS Firemoth)
20t: Red Shift
25t: Brigand (basically a reskinned Commando)
25t: Koto (missing tech)
25t: Nexus
30t: Anubis
30t: Battle Hawk
30t: Copperhead (missing tech)
30t: Falcon
30t: Flashfire (Omnimech - missing tech)
30t: Jackal
30t: Razorback
35t: Falcon Hawk (Omnimech - very slow - Cougar level of slow)
35t: Garm
35t: Gurkha (missing melee tech)
35t: Longshot (missing tech)
35t: Silver Fox (missing tech)
35t: Venom

Those are just the mechs produced during the Clan Invasion (3050) and Civil War era (3067). All of them have to have PGI variants. Most of them are pretty poor tho.

I know why people like the Anubis, twas a pretty fun mech in MC2, but is severely underarmored in stock loadout with just one ton of ammo and bad hitboxes for IS XL (side torsos stick out way too much). Has to either drop the stealth armor, or go full on SRM2 boat.

Razorback depends on the scaling and final hardpoint layout. Might be the best choice out of those available. Could inflate the ballistic hardpoints to at least give the IS one light MG boat. Ballistics are torso mounted and no jump jets tho.

Other than that, we need X-Pulse lasers...

#18455 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:42 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 04 January 2018 - 05:02 PM, said:

The Thunder right behind it looks quite epic as well.

It's kinda nuts how Alex can make something ridiculous like the Thunder actually look good and intimidating, without actually changing much of its design.
I mean, just look at this thing:
Posted Image

#18456 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:16 AM

View PostGasoline, on 04 January 2018 - 11:07 PM, said:

Spoiler

While I agree overall, especially on the Razorback, I think you are selling the Brigand a little short. It's far more than just a reskinned Commando for having the crucial Jump Jets, and having energy boat variants which are not a hero and have better distribution of the energy HP.

Four of its variants can be used without change in MWO (-1, -X1, -X2, -X3), and two other variants require relatively minor changes like switching the Angel ECM to a Guardian (-XPR2) or TSM to MASC (-X4). I say "relatively minor" because we have seen stuff like the switch from LB-20X to AC/20 or the removal of C3 and A-Pods. ...and compared to the PGI-invented variants, it's still quite good.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Brigand

In terms of gameplay it is probably one of the best light options of the IS. I also like the new lore it would bring. It's a pirate Mech after all!

It's greatest drawback is that few people know it, but then... Allow me a seemingly outrageous thought these days: I would like getting a good if somewhat unknown Mech that people actually might enjoy in game.

#18457 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:45 AM

View PostBrody319, on 04 January 2018 - 09:03 PM, said:

There is the Lobo
Posted Image

40 ton clan mech.

This is one of those so-ugly-that-looks-cool mechs. Quite unique looking indeed, but except for the "primary" variant, all others would need to be invented by PGI.

BTW, where is the cockpit of that thing?

#18458 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:02 AM

The problem with IS lights in the Civil War era is there're actually very few decent choices.

20t: Porcupine (IS Firemoth)
20t: Red Shift
25t: Brigand (basically a reskinned Commando)
25t: Koto (missing tech)
25t: Nexus
30t: Anubis
30t: Battle Hawk
30t: Copperhead (missing tech)
30t: Falcon
30t: Flashfire (Omnimech - missing tech)
30t: Jackal
30t: Razorback
35t: Falcon Hawk (Omnimech - very slow - Cougar level of slow)
35t: Garm
35t: Gurkha (missing melee tech)
35t: Longshot (missing tech)
35t: Silver Fox (missing tech)
35t: Venom

Not a very attractive list, IMHO. The only 2 I have some interest are the Razorback and Anubis, coincidentally the ones in MechCommander 2. Brigand is not a bad option, but looks to me so uninspired...

I know why people like the Anubis, twas a pretty fun mech in MC2, but is severely underarmored in stock loadout with just one ton of ammo and bad hitboxes for IS XL (side torsos stick out way too much). Has to either drop the stealth armor, or go full on SRM2 boat.

Stock armor means nothing in MWO and a light SRM2 boat would be cool.
The mech would have something like those proportions in MWO:
Posted Image
Would the side torsos be too vulnerable? I don't know...

Razorback depends on the scaling and final hardpoint layout. Might be the best choice out of those available. Could inflate the ballistic hardpoints to at least give the IS one light MG boat. Ballistics are torso mounted and no jump jets tho.

Agreed. Because of the (potential) looks and the capacity to boat machineguns, I think the Razorback is the best option of all list.

Other than that, we need X-Pulse lasers...

Do we really? For me X-Pulses always seemed like fan-made content that added nothing to the game.

#18459 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:11 AM

View PostVirlutris, on 04 January 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

Hey Odanan! *ahem*

That's if Ovion gave consent, of course. Please consider it?
I'm fine with it.

There's 3 images overall that I'll check are up-to-date and put here later too.
And yeah, I usually update the image within 1-6 weeks of any announcement(s) xD

#18460 Gasoline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 338 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:37 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 05 January 2018 - 01:16 AM, said:

Spoiler

Yeah, I can see that. I admit not going through every variant of the Brigand, since most of them are not yet available, but I can see it work in this game. It might even have even better hitboxes than the Commando due to a little slimmer profile. I actually just saw that it has some nice torso mounts.

View PostOdanan, on 05 January 2018 - 02:02 AM, said:

Spoiler

I know that stock armor means nothing, but seeing that and the lack of ammo you can pretty much forget about the LRM thing. The SRM thing should work tho.

I dunno, but the ST look like some here-I-come bunny ear thing. But we'll see what Alex makes of it. You can be sure it'll get added anyway. But I doubt it'll have Commando-like hitboxes.

I would be up for a IS light that at least can give the MLX and ACH some run for their money (not even talking about the monstrosity that arrives on the 23rd). And I really hope PGI will give the Razorback at least some inflation...

Well, we won't see the X-Pulses before they leave experimental stage anyway, which is around 3078 well in the Jihad. To be honest tho, I think especially the pulse lasers are where clan weapons excel over the IS. The range is ridiculous. The cLPL has nearly double the range of the IS LPL. The cMPL has the range of the IS ERML (which btw. is just 5 meters short of the IS LPL range). IS would still have more tonnage and less damage, but at least the range difference isn't as ridiculous as it is now.

Edited by Gasoline, 05 January 2018 - 02:38 AM.

63 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 63 guests, 0 anonymous users