Cheating Rampant?

123 replies to this topic

#61 Piney II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:30 PM

I can honestly say that I have never encountered an obvious hack.

#62 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:21 PM

In the Beta i had one time a Bug that my Speed was doubled - i never found out what made that happen - it repaired itself somehow after a while.

Edited by Thorqemada, 07 January 2015 - 08:29 PM.

#63 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,960 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:28 PM

In a year and a half of playing MWO, I've seen only 1 aimbotter, and he was in a Gauss Jag-S, saw him that one round, and never again.

Which for any online F2P game, is an amazing feat..

Played games like Combat Arms, CounterStrike, Battlefield-1942 through BF-4, which are notorious for having blatant populations of cheaters.

I think that one thing that helps MWO is the smaller community size, there just isn't room for anyone to cheat and get away with it, at least not for long.

I think what the OP is experiencing is the hitreg fix, which make delivered damage for lasers a little more reliable, so instead of people aiming well and the game screwing up, those people who could aim well all along are finally able to deliver a little more of that damage reliably, thats all.

Edited by Mister D, 07 January 2015 - 09:09 PM.

#64 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:30 PM

Well before the CS:GO cheating incident I wouldn't think it is possible... but if valve got hacked...
Who knows?

#65 Carcass23

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 327 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:04 PM

Posted Image

Edited by Carcass23, 07 January 2015 - 09:04 PM.

#66 Thorqemada

• 6,369 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:41 PM

Sure - Big Brother is not happen and no cheats exist:

#67 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:45 PM

I have not seen cheating........but. putting out a statement that you cannot hack this game .......is basically an invitation to every hacker wannabe dirtbag and internet criminal to give it a try.

#68 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:25 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 07 January 2015 - 03:42 PM, said:

In my 19,000+ drops, I've never seen an instance of aimbotting. I've only seen a few instances that were obvious texture/model modifications and a few instances that were sort of fishy in terms of extreme user.cfg modification (before they started clamping down on it, you could change EVERYTHING if you knew the correct documentation of CryEngine) or texture/model modifications.

Me thinks all the "that guy is cheating" is the bottom of Mount Tryhard meeting the top. Especially with CW.

I've been getting accused of botting or having LRM avoidance hacks a lot lately simply because I've met some REALLY bad players in CW. I mean... it's bad if you let me head cap you with five medium lasers and two LPLs.

I consider extreme tweaking, texture mods or anything that may give you a advantage over the other players as cheating.

Edited by Sarlic, 07 January 2015 - 11:26 PM.

#69 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:45 PM

Honestly, having a good aimbot would sometimes be detrimental to your success in this game.

An aimbot won't help you decide if you should shoot the 2nd leg of an already legged mech. Mechs can torso twist to spread damage, negating your ability to focus damage on a single component simply because you won't always have line of sight of that component.

Even if you somehow got an aimbot that was smart enough to resolve these issues, the most important thing in this game is positioning.

Without correct positioning, even if you are landing 100% of your shots to an enemy CT the relatively low TTK can lead you to be focus fired down before you can kill your target.

#70 Corwin Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 631 posts
  • LocationChateau, Clan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:53 PM

View PostSaltBeef, on 07 January 2015 - 10:45 PM, said:

I have not seen cheating........but. putting out a statement that you cannot hack this game .......is basically an invitation to every hacker wannabe dirtbag and internet criminal to give it a try.

In early multiplayer games there was not enough bandwidth or server resources to monitor every single client for legitimacy. In other games they just don't care and took your clients word for it.

I remember a cheat program called GEAR that affected all online games. It worked by replacing your motherboards clock with a software based clock so you could speed up your client, run a 100 miles an hour, shoot 1000 rounds per second, run across the map and stab the enemy team before they can move. And that worked in just about every game because there were simply not enough resources to check if everyone's client was being honest.

In MWO every bit of information your client sends the server is checked against the servers version of the game. That simply means you cannot cheat the way you can in other games because your client cannot lie to the server or rather it can but the server doesn't give a crap. It also means that what you saw happen on your screen is your clients version of events, not necessarily what really happened. That's probably why you can see a mech lose it's leg and then suddenly "grow it back." In reality the server never thought he lost his leg and informed your client of that fact and your client updated itself with the new information.

When you have people with 1/3rd to 1 second ping times and then you add in HSR which is basically voodoo funny things happen.

Also remember that HSR takes both players pings into account when determining position and hits. That's why a guy in Australia can shoot me when I stop just short of the edge of a wall while on the Aussies screen I ran out into the open. The server gives him a "gimme" because his ping is so bad.

Those of us who have been playing this game for thousands of drops have just gotten used to it. Once you learn to adapt to the game rather than whining about how things worked in CS:GO you'll have a lot more success. But then the types who like to blame their failures on "cheating" are generally content to use that as an excuse for why they are not getting any better and will likely never change no matter how thoroughly the mechanics are explained to them.

I'm not saying cheating doesn't exist in online gaming, just not in MWO.

And about aimbots, you could be the best shot in the game and still not hit what you want because of your ping, the targets ping, HSR, etc. Also, as others have pointed out mechs are easy to hit, they are large and slow moving. An aimbot just seems pointless to me... in MWO.

#71 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:14 AM

There is absolutely no evidence of cheating in MWO on the entire internet. Which makes the claim of cheating being rampant in MWO highly suspect ie complete bulls***.

vid or it didn't happen.

#72 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:19 AM

It was said earlier in their thread that many use exploits that may be allowed but in most cases are cheats.
In solo just had a match with 8 founders on one team none on mine. They moved to adjust in lances coordinating fire much faster than any keyboard warrior could. Targeting from one side of the map to the other in an instant. When asked they affirmed they were on teamspeak in solo que.

Was it a synch drop? I doubt you could get all on the same channel that fast during a drop.

That is cheating. It goes way past the intended use of solo and gives players a very distinct advantage over the other team. You can respond to threats in multiples in less than a second. Much shorter time than you could type and hope your teammates could read never mind react to any given threats. Don't tell me you can because even if you call a target typing your teammates have to find it and follow the lead of the rest of the lance. They get drawn out and do not maneuver in synch with the others.

So maybe there is very little cheating as in software hacks but I have tendency to believe the many telling you its not possible employ many other methods to gain advantage.

Its the low skill method of farming while taking advantage of others. So yes. There are many cheats in game long before you get to adding in any aimbot or other hack.

#73 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:23 AM

Sync dropping is legit bro> I believe it was Russ that said that the fix to sync dropping was phase 3(?) MM, ie Elo.

#74 Hornviech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:30 AM

I've seen and felt it by my self.
But I don't think its cheating.
Maybe its the same thing what is causing the bad laser hitreg.
I've shot 5 CERML at an enemy and his Armor wasn't even blinking.

#75 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:39 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 07 January 2015 - 08:21 PM, said:

In the Beta i had one time a Bug that my Speed was doubled - i never found out what made that happen - it repaired itself somehow after a while.

Glitches are funny when they happen like that.

Back in closed beta there was a bug where newly added or changed items to a mech might disappear when you launch into a match. I dropped in my Catapult K2 with no engine. Oddly enough it moved...very poorly. My top speed was like 16kph and the torso and arms were sooo sluggish. I lived through that match surprisingly.

Anyway, I have only seen something odd in MWO once. It must have been an exploit of some sort. A Black Jack was floating about one mech height above the ground. He would appear, shoot and disappear only to reappear a second or two later. It seemed like some weird latency exploit, but like I saud, he was above the ground too.

This was quite a long time ago and I did report the player. I haven't seen any cheating since then.

#76 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:10 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 08 January 2015 - 03:23 AM, said:

Sync dropping is legit bro> I believe it was Russ that said that the fix to sync dropping was phase 3(?) MM, ie Elo.

May be legit but its underhanded in solo. Funny thing is one of them was a big poster here with thousands of posts. Mostly telling us synch drops don't happen and always with the "get better"

Nice to know for real he is just a total loser.

#77 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:15 AM

View PostBrody319, on 07 January 2015 - 02:55 PM, said:

No one wants to bother coding a cheat program for this game.

wait for the steam release.

#78 Apocryph0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 325 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:19 AM

There is another thread in Patch Feedback that has relatively clear video evidence of an aimbot being used.

The kind of magically healing legs OP posted is pure bullshit tho since you would have to control the server-side calculations of damage being done to you. And that would be fairly... evident.

Probably just a second firestarter and OP overdoing on his medication.

Edit:

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 08 January 2015 - 03:39 AM, said:

Glitches are funny when they happen like that.

Back in closed beta there was a bug where newly added or changed items to a mech might disappear when you launch into a match. I dropped in my Catapult K2 with no engine. Oddly enough it moved...very poorly. My top speed was like 16kph and the torso and arms were sooo sluggish. I lived through that match surprisingly.

Anyway, I have only seen something odd in MWO once. It must have been an exploit of some sort. A Black Jack was floating about one mech height above the ground. He would appear, shoot and disappear only to reappear a second or two later. It seemed like some weird latency exploit, but like I saud, he was above the ground too.

This was quite a long time ago and I did report the player. I haven't seen any cheating since then.

This is exactly what happens when you jump/fall on top of another mech and the other mech moves away. You get stuck in the air and randomly warp around, then suddenly reappear where you got stuck. Can be checked in the B33f's triple stack video.

Edited by Apocryph0n, 08 January 2015 - 04:22 AM.

#79 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:27 AM

View PostApocryph0n, on 08 January 2015 - 04:19 AM, said:

There is another thread in Patch Feedback that has relatively clear video evidence of an aimbot being used.

The kind of magically healing legs OP posted is pure bullshit tho since you would have to control the server-side calculations of damage being done to you. And that would be fairly... evident.

Probably just a second firestarter and OP overdoing on his medication.

Edit:

This is exactly what happens when you jump/fall on top of another mech and the other mech moves away. You get stuck in the air and randomly warp around, then suddenly reappear where you got stuck. Can be checked in the B33f's triple stack video.

Now that you say that, I think your right.

I have seen that B33f video too, but I just never put two and two together.

So, even that was a game glitch.

#80 Mr D One

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:28 AM

View PostCorwin Vickers, on 07 January 2015 - 11:53 PM, said:

Also remember that HSR takes both players pings into account when determining position and hits. That's why a guy in Germany can shoot me when I stop just short of the edge of a wall while on the Germanic's screen I ran out into the open. The server gives him a "gimme" because his ping is so bad.

FTFY

(btw 124 to 240 ms IS the sweet spot for HSR) - Most Australian players sit on 290ms (best case) to 350ms on average.)

Australians are just good at sport and e sport.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users