#161 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:55 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 15 September 2015 - 07:52 AM, said:

I think that Tier 4 and 5 is where the most fun is probably being had... above that -- welcome to metaville. Could we get an option that if we pick a stock trial mech that we can play in the lower tiers?

All the current IS trials are remarkably competent builds.

#162 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:08 PM

View PostMurphy7, on 15 September 2015 - 06:54 AM, said:

I'm hoping for a Fisher Price steering wheel icon to go with my anticipated low skill Tier.

I would accept a warhorn that sounds like the bell on a toddler's tricycle.

Bonus points if I can start putting streamers on my mech's elbows.

Hm. To the mech customisation thread, methinks, to request "L-plates" decals.

#163 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:15 PM

Who cares about Tiers ??? arent we all Mechwarriors ?
arent we all part of a small elite, that refuses to get shot by twitch kiddys,
that are truely enyoing " a thinking mans shooter "
arent we all tossing our money at pgi and moan about it
and a second later we hit the buy button the moment the marauder shows up ?
This all makes us the SAME, one happy bunch of nerdy (old) guys that are in this
FOR THE GAME
Lets stick togehter!
and now let us have a good laugh about that moron in his shut down champion mech.

#164 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:17 PM

View PostDavers, on 15 September 2015 - 10:27 PM, said:

Yeah, I see SJR, Emp, and HoL in group queue, but I never see those guys in YoloQ. Pretty sure they don't always do group stuff...

I see them in both, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm high tier. I could be the bottom feeding balancee for all I know.

#165 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:33 PM

I'd like to know in what tier I am. Bit I don't really care either.
Why?

Because unlike some guy who speak only in term of performance and victory.
I speak in term of fun.

Heck yesterday I took my urbie and got 4 kill. Just because I like that mech.

#166 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:07 AM

View PostDavers, on 15 September 2015 - 08:43 AM, said:

Seriously, the MM allows such a large skill gap that you have to wonder what the point of having 5 tiers is if the only restriction is that Tier 1 can't face 4 and 5. Wouldn't it have been better to just make fewer tiers and hard lock them? I don't know about you guys, but when I hear 'tiers' I think of Stepped Pyramids. But that would imply that Tier 5 would have the most players. But that can't be right- it has to be more like the Elo curve, where the bulk of the average players would be tier 3, right? So for the average player you will see the entire spectrum of skill quality. So due to the restrictions, some games will be tiers 1-3 and other games will be tiers 2-5. Since there are more tier 4-5 than tier 1 (I assume) then you are more likely to have teams of wildly different skill levels. Personally I think the tier 1-2 games are the ones where no one dies for 7-8 minutes and the tier 2-5 are the ones where you lose a whole lance 3 minutes into the game (I could be wrong though).

First, from some comment Russ made, most of the matches made using the new PSR system are reasonably close in skill values. Folks keep making the comment that the matchmaker puts in players from all over the skill map without having any basis for saying it. YOU have no idea what value is assigned to any player's skill level and in most matches you have no idea why any specific players contribution was low. MWO is very unforgiving if you decide to scout and run into a lance or two and there are too many people in the solo queues who tend to play solo. The result is that they can have a great match followed by a mediocre one.

Second, although I may be wrong, my impression was that they only allowed a range of 3 tiers in a match. The range is decided by the first player chosen to seed the match who is the player in queue that has been waiting the longest for a match. (This is how it worked with Elo so probably didn't change). If a tier 1 is chosen to start it then a match will contain tiers 1 to 3. If a tier 5 then tiers 3 to 5 would be in the match. If they start with a tier 3 then the range gets decided as players are added.

Finally, PGI has created tiers but has not defined what this means numerically. Given the Elo curve, I would guess that tier 3 would tend to correspond to the middle of that curve. However, whether the curve is divided to give roughly equal numbers in each tier or some other structure is completely unknown. (Roughly equal numbers would make the most sense from a matchmaking perspective.

#167 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:51 AM

For those of you who are scared lemme sum up the tiers for you:
You should be proud of your tier!

Tier 1:

Mech type: Only uses Meta builds on mostly clan mechs.

Weapon type: Only point damage fast-burn weapons

Weight Class: Only heavy or assault

Team work: Unless they know their team-mates they use other team-mates as fodder

Fun factor: Most matches seem like work but they enjoy that.

Personality: Bordering on obsessive compulsive in regards to their game performance.

Tier 2:

Mech type: Mostly Meta mechs across both IS and clan.

Weapon Type: Mostly point-damage weapons with some funzies thrown in for shats-and-giggles

Weight Class: Mostly heavies

Team work: Will try to work with the group but is also effective doing’ their own thing

Fun factor: Some are fun, some are annoying stomps but just enjoy doing their best

Personality: Like to shine in games and try hard to carry the group.

Tier 3:

Mech type: Whatever I have loaded out and ready in my dropship and that I like to play.

Weapon Type: Whatever I have on the mech that is ready in my dropship.

Weight Class: I like variety!

Team work: The group is life. If we don’t work together we are going to get stomped.

Fun factor: I enjoy it when we work as a team and squash the enemy.

Personality: This is a team-based game so let’s just work together and have fun.

Tier 4:

Mech type: Well I only have 4 in my dropship and modules on only 2 of them.

Weapon Type: It came with weapons so I use those and extra LRMs

Weight Class: Mediums -- they were not too expensive to buy

Team work: I am still finding my own play-style but I like to walk behind the group.

Fun factor: Dude did you just see me shoot that guy in the face with my AC20! Man i love this mech!

Personality: It’s a game man – if you aren’t having fun why are you here!?!

Tier 5:

Mech type: Anything with lots of the same type of hard point

Weapons: ONLY 8 or more flamers or ONLY 5 or more LRM launchers or ONLY 6 or more MGs

Weight Class: assault

Team work: Blue Doritos don’t give me as much points as red ones but still fun to shoot

Fun factor: It is hard holding my pee in because I am laughing so damn hard.

Personality: TIMMEH! TIMMEH!

Edited by nehebkau, 16 September 2015 - 06:09 AM.

#168 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:59 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 15 September 2015 - 09:52 PM, said:

Depends on the Scoring. If it's exclusively UAVs, I'd be a tier 5 Underhive lord, as I might have used 3 of them over the past year, while if it's (as expected) mainly shooting robots, I've got a fair chance at Tier 2.

The scoring system has a big impact on where you land. I wonder where my XL400 Assault got me.

That's true, the scoring system could really throw things off.

That being said, I'd be surprised if you are under T2.

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 15 September 2015 - 10:12 PM, said:

Well... I am a light jock. I also really love my Pratty Babby. Which is why I'm expecting a lower tier, to be honest since my average is only like 450 damage and an RCH over 2 kills a match.

In your solo pug matches, do half the players there do 450 damage with 2 kills? I think that's above average.

Consistent 600+ or 800+ damage, with 3 or 4 kills is probably T1 territory (which I'm sure I'm not).

#169 Lhunara

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Location1984

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:57 AM

My win lose ratio is less than 1, my KDR is even lower than that.

So I expect my tier level to be.... IT'S OVER 9000!

:lol:

#170 Rakesch

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:05 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 16 September 2015 - 05:51 AM, said:

For those of you who are scared lemme sum up the tiers for you:
You should be proud of your tier!

Tier 3:

Mech type: Whatever I have loaded out and ready in my dropship and that I like to play.

Weapon Type: Whatever I have on the mech that is ready in my dropship.

Weight Class: I like variety!

Team work: The group is life. If we don’t work together we are going to get stomped.

Fun factor: I enjoy it when we work as a team and squash the enemy.

Personality: This is a team-based game so let’s just work together and have fun.

This! Now i am sure that i am Tier3.

Thanky you for this brilliant posting.

Edited by Rakesch, 16 September 2015 - 07:10 AM.

#171 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:38 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 15 September 2015 - 11:17 PM, said:

I see them in both, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm high tier. I could be the bottom feeding balancee for all I know.

If you are seeing them in YoloQ (and if they are in fact tier 1- not all members will be of course) that would put you in tiers 1-3.

#172 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:34 AM

In the solo queue, I've noticed that a very common composition (just based on players I know) seems to be:

- 2 Tier 1 level players on each side.
- 4-8 Tier 2 level players on each side.
- 2-6 Tier 3 or 4 level players on each side.

In the group queue everything is fubar, but the solo queue seems to be pretty consistent with the above compositions (at least for me).

#173 Ascaloth

NUMERO UM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:44 AM

I'll be honest: i really want to know what tier i am and if i'm not tier 1, i'll work hard to reach it.

I play this game for fun, but being recognized for being good just makes it even funnier and rewarding.

#174 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:34 AM

I can't wait! My goal is to be the shitest ranked player ever!!!!

#175 Lorian Sunrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:41 AM

View PostAscaloth, on 16 September 2015 - 08:44 AM, said:

I'll be honest: i really want to know what tier i am and if i'm not tier 1, i'll work hard to reach it.

I play this game for fun, but being recognized for being good just makes it even funnier and rewarding.

Eh, I'm just going to be amused if I'm somehow at least Tier 2 despite taking funny builds from time to time. Like the "Shotgun Summoner" with 2 LBX 10's and as many SRM4's I could put on it or when my unit and I take light mechs with at least one flamer each and overheat the Laser Vomit mechs.

#176 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:51 AM

is there a 2.5?

#177 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:57 AM

Anyone want to take wagers on where some people fall on the tier scale? Like Phil (Sean Lang) and other profiled players?

#178 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:03 AM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 16 September 2015 - 09:51 AM, said:

is there a 2.5?

Technically, yes, but we're just getting a displayed Integer.

Probably no info on where you're located inside the given tier.

#179 Kekkone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:13 AM

E-peens will swell
Systems will be claimed broken
PSR hell will be blamed

#180 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:18 AM

View PostUltimatum X, on 16 September 2015 - 05:59 AM, said:

That's true, the scoring system could really throw things off.

That being said, I'd be surprised if you are under T2.

You and Mcgral18 are both at least T2. I'm pretty confident that I'm average or maybe slightly better than average, and I've seen both of you often enough to know that you're noticeably better than me. So unless T3 is really wide, that puts you both in T2.

In your solo pug matches, do half the players there do 450 damage with 2 kills? I think that's above average.

Consistent 600+ or 800+ damage, with 3 or 4 kills is probably T1 territory (which I'm sure I'm not).

Someone else pointed out that high damage isn't necessarily a sign of T1 players. T1 players can aim like you wouldn't believe, so they might actually do less damage than T2 players especially in the group queue.

It's also pretty tough for half the players on a team to do 450+ damage. That's 2700+ damage from 6 players, which is waaay more damage than you need to kill the entire other team (if you assume that the other 6 players did at least something... even just 100 each).

I had a game in my Cicada 3M the other day... something like 273 damage, but I had 3 solo kills. And I got the only kills for my team, the 4th team point coming from an enemy team kill or suicide. In the PUG queue, consistent high damage with 3+ kills is a sign of T2 to me, not T1. The T1 guys in the PUG queue are the ones regularly getting 6+ kills with 700-800 damage.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users