Anybody Else Hate These Mobility Changes?

306 replies to this topic

#61 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:43 PM

PGI nerfed the skill tree because they are trying to protect the Steam(ed) Potatoes from veterans.

It would have been better to just create a Tier 6 and quarantine them for a while.

#62 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:44 PM

View Postpwnface, on 01 December 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

I don't think the agility changes were smart. Maybe should have increased the base values instead of ending with the final values.

Its always better to give then to take away...no one likes toys taking. Even if its a small group or set of players.

But i dont think they wanted the game as whole to be sped up anymore..thus the nerf.

I agree tho, why not just make the Base numbers a bit higher? Then the ceiling isnt so far away.

#63 Nerdboard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:45 PM

I do not like the changes nor do I think they are actually helpful for new players. Especially since the heat skills were left untouched. I would have preferred less heat skills and a tiny bit less mobility (like 25% reduce, not down to 25%). If the gap between lvl'd and basic mechs is too wide why not give all mechs overall a tiny bit more mobility and get rid of the double basic when eliting a mech?

The speed tweak nerf does not bother me. A full revamp of the skilltree with actual choices would be cool. For example having to choose between heat or weapon cooldown and mobility.

For those saying it feels less like a twitch shooter... mwo has never been and never will be anywhere close to a shooter much less a twitchy one. So I call bullcr*p on that one. With all that said there's hardly any use in crying over spilt milk, is there?

#64 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:45 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 01 December 2015 - 12:33 PM, said:

I kind of feel like we are different pages at the moment heh.

If they always "felt good" (which I would agree with) then these changes to the skill tree and the mechs that did not get the quirks to compensate took something that "felt good" and made them not feel good. They really should have bumped all of the base mobility stats rather than just picking certain ones to get those huge quirks.

ahh but then how do they sell mech which are still in game but never became popular?

This is a way to squeeze every nickle out of stuff already in game....and they label it as BALANCE and everyone follows suite.

Please stop buying the hottest new meta mech with RL money and i bet this stops.

#65 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:48 PM

View PostDarthRevis, on 01 December 2015 - 12:45 PM, said:

Please stop buying the hottest new meta mech with RL money and i bet this stops.

We're back to telling others how to spend and enjoy their money and entertainment?

#66 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:49 PM

View PostSandpit, on 01 December 2015 - 12:39 PM, said:

I can't comment on the changes yet as I haven't played under them. Once I do I can give a better opinion on the changes. Like I said earlier, the math isn't a big factor for me. I want to see how it actually handles in game. Once I do that I can give some feedback on the changes.

At this point, what I am saying is PGI has always done a pretty good job at making the mechs "feel right" to me and I've pretty much liked the way they handle from the beginning and just about every change they've made in this department I like. (JJs and a few others being an exception)

I don't know how I'll like the new changes until I get a chance to get some games in under them :)

That is completely fair. I tried the changes on the test server, and for me I really did not like the feel anymore on the mechs that didn't get the mobility quirks. Atlas gets 35-45% bonus to acceleration and deceleration and 25% bonus to turn speed on all versions(feels fine), but smaller mechs like the Zeus and Mauler get more or less nothing(not feeling so fine anymore). One Zeus gets a 10% bonus to turn and acc/dec speed, and the Maulers get 5% turning? Just silly if you ask me.

#67 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,252 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:51 PM

I'm not a fan of the agility nerfs.

Makes bigger mechs clumsy and non-reponsive which is just frustrating. I don't really see the benefit of it to be honest.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 01 December 2015 - 12:51 PM.

#68 Ultross

Rookie

• Tai-i
  • Tai-i
  • 1 posts
  • LocationOR

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:51 PM

I run assaults most of the time or at least used to, I really hope this patch doesn't blow as much as I am making it out in my head....

but I will go play and give it shot =( and
"helping the new players?" that lol they are gonna get dafucqed either way it will just take us longer to get to get to them now but they will die the same...

#69 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

View PostSandpit, on 01 December 2015 - 12:48 PM, said:

We're back to telling others how to spend and enjoy their money and entertainment?

Saying PLEASE in front a sentence hardly constitutes TELLING THEM TO DO SOMETHING...

I asked, yes.

Edited by DarthRevis, 01 December 2015 - 12:54 PM.

#70 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:56 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 01 December 2015 - 09:45 AM, said:

I would have been OK with the global mobility and agility nerfs if they went through and then re-added all of the lost agility and mobility directly into the mechs themselves.

Then they would be reducing the gap between mastered mechs and unmastered mechs which is good for NPE.

That's not what they did though.

Some mechs got big agility and mobility quirks, some did not. It's a very uneven application.

It's also ultimately bad for TTK, and it's bad for dynamic gameplay in general.

Shocking considering PGIs history of stellar design choices.

#71 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:59 PM

You know last night I was planning on buying some MC to get 1 year of premium time, then I remembered PGI doesn't like to do subtle changes and I have no idea what to expect in terms of gameplay balance over the next year. I'm kind of glad I didn't pull the trigger on the purchase, as I simply can't trust Paul or Russ as they have absolutely no idea how this game works.

#72 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:01 PM

View PostGyrok, on 01 December 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

Speed Tweak is now 25% less, less acceleration/deceleration from kinetic burst/hard brake.

Good.

This will make hill climbing even more difficult for some mechs because arbitrary design decisions about hill climbing angles.

Then fix hill climbing.

I am not even going to get started on how rekt clan mechs are beyond the IS mechs in terms of mobility...

Oh no, instead of exploding they effectively have a standard engine of the same weight when their side torso pops, how terrible clans are obviously doomed.

However...this is not how you balance a game. Making light mechs slower, less nimble, and more vulnerable is not going to make them better, or "more balanced". If anything, lights needed to get stronger.

It affects all mechs, meaning it's going to be harder for a big fat assault mech to deal with a fast light mech on their ass even if the light mech is going a little slower.

#73 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:03 PM

View PostMister D, on 01 December 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

Hillclimbing needs to be addressed.

There is a Module, called Hill climb, which is a huge booster on tons of mechs.. maybe load that up, instead of Radar dep, or seismic.. which is really the only modules most people use. Though i personally use hill climb on many mechs, and drop one of the others.

The nerf amounts seam pretty low, and the quirk changes from armor and structure buffs to mobility, make me think that things are getting shaken up in a good way.

But maybe it will get more people using the hill climb, and larger engines to keep their mobility, meaning, less heat sinks, or lower ammo, or dropping a weapon, reducing alpha's or DPS.. which to me is a trade off worth thinking about. And yes, i play assaults, slower heavies, mediums and lights...

I am certainly going to be waiting a few weeks, and play a good 20+ mechs before i even think about passing judgement.. ANd if my favorite mech get a bit of a nerf.. so be it, I'm sure with all the other boosts some will have been improved. But honestly, even my best mechs, hardly got hit by nerfs.. then again i'm just a lowly IS player...

I swear these forums are a bunch of Chicken little's, every patch.. Ohh no the sky is falling!!. Give it a bit before you guys start claiming how big of a fail a patch is. all the changes are small %'s that i saw..

#74 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:03 PM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 01 December 2015 - 12:56 PM, said:

Shocking considering PGIs history of stellar design choices.

hey the game may not be to your liking, but at least you got a forum to constantly b*tch in!

free audience!

:ph34r:

#75 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:04 PM

View PostDarthRevis, on 01 December 2015 - 12:53 PM, said:

Saying PLEASE in front a sentence hardly constitutes TELLING THEM TO DO SOMETHING...

I asked, yes.

View Postpwnface, on 01 December 2015 - 12:59 PM, said:

You know last night I was planning on buying some MC to get 1 year of premium time, then I remembered PGI doesn't like to do subtle changes and I have no idea what to expect in terms of gameplay balance over the next year. I'm kind of glad I didn't pull the trigger on the purchase, as I simply can't trust Paul or Russ as they have absolutely no idea how this game works.

While I agree with you on the not supporting PGI anymore with my funds it really isn't the subject at hand in this thread.

#76 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:12 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 01 December 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

While I agree with you on the not supporting PGI anymore with my funds it really isn't the subject at hand in this thread.

It kind of is when changes like these are the reason I can't bring myself to spend more money. Lights are going to be even weaker against everything else but stronger against assaults.

#77 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:13 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 01 December 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

But if we didnt let them do this, there would be NO GREAT REBALANCE, No NERF TO SKILL TREE we could just trumpet for ALL MECHS to be BALANCED at the SAME TIME and stop this flavor of the month BS we have now.

#78 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:18 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 December 2015 - 10:21 AM, said:

I doubt you or yours actually bothered to even play in the PTS4 to know what you are complaining about (just like most of those whining loudest).

Gotta agree with you Bishop.

#79 stoogah

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:19 PM

I'm all for nerfing speed. Game is too fast for a MW game. Not that I have a problem with fast gameplay but in this case I say slower gameplay will make it more mechwarriorish. Once upon a time we had heavies moving at 64 kph.... now we have assaults @ almost 90 kph. Nerf speed, nerf max engine cap, nerf mech agility. Also get rid of cool run and heat contaminent skills.

#80 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,252 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

View Poststoogah, on 01 December 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

I'm all for nerfing speed. Game is too fast for a MW game. Not that I have a problem with fast gameplay but in this case I say slower gameplay will make it more mechwarriorish. Once upon a time we had heavies moving at 64 kph.... now we have assaults @ almost 90 kph. Nerf speed, nerf max engine cap, nerf mech agility. Also get rid of cool run and heat contaminent skills.

Your objective evaluation is fascinating.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users