• 2,773 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:19 AM

PRE ORDER THE VIPER HERE

Near Manufacturing Plant DSF-8

Paxon

Clan Homeworlds

13 March 3039

The enraged titan lashed out.

The Kingfisher, ninety tons of anthropomorphic tank, stumbled as the seething, two-meter-deep ochre-colored water slowed the assault BattleMech to a crawl. The machine managed to stay standing in the chemically destroyed lowland lake of the badlands south of Manufacturing Plant DSF-8. In its continued tantrum, the ’Mech raised its left-arm weapons pod and hammered it into a sickly tree barely staving off death. The trunk shattered, spewing a swath of fibrous chunks across the unwholesome water. Then the machine lashed out once more with an array of emerald beams of energy, some impotently stabbing the sky, others vaporizing water in a slashing line into the distance.

From the cockpit of his Viper, Medusa, Star Captain Dwillt Radick grinned savagely as he watched the dumb, stupid giant on his forward viewscreen, clearly seen despite the extreme heat eddies. The Kingfisher was too slow and inept to keep up with his forty-ton Medusa. He clenched his jaw to open a channel-wide commline. “Surat,” he began, sarcasm cloying the air with disdain. “Seeing your Kingfisher trapped here seems appropriate. Your BattleMech’s namesake may be a master hunter in water, but you have become the prey, Shark.”

Rage boiled in return back across the commline, and for a moment Dwillt imagined the assault BattleMech shivering in sympathetic unison to its MechWarrior’s anger.

“You have no honor, dog!” Star Captain Nikkil responded. “You run and you slash. A real warrior would face me on the plain where this began.”

Dwillt’s barking laugh mimicked a dog’s before morphing into a wolf howl, making the denigrating remark his own. “I simply fight to the strength of my BattleMech. And I am always aware of my terrain. Your current predicament tells me you cannot say the same, which ensures my victory. Why do you not end this Trial of Possession now, surat, and save further embarrassment to your Bloodname? Turn over the next production run of components for the Stormcrow, as per our batchall, and you may yet live long enough to see more worthy Diamond Shark warriors earn their bloodrights.”

The titan lashed out in greater fury.

The blare of a target lock distracted Dwillt. His eyes swept across his instruments as a rain of long-range missiles pummeled his position. Detonations tore at his armor, causing the BattleMech to stumble in the copse of trees where he’d hidden not six hundred meters from the warrior he’d been terrorizing. The blistering heat of the day and the whole region’s heavy metallic content—wastewater and runoff from centuries of heavy industry—neatly hid Dwillt’s Viper.

Until now.

His grin slipped as he realized the Kingfisher pilot was more astute than he had believed. You lost me but then allowed me to taunt you—as you knew I would—while your warriors eluded my own to find me.

The Kingfisher’s weapons were already locking onto him—his position given away by the other attack. Long-range missiles ignited out of the ’Mech’s torso. The machine lurched forward, lumbering once again through the viscous lake to bring its more powerful weapons to bear.

Dwillt let off another wolf howl at the extra challenge and stomped down onto his jump-jet pedals to hurtle the Viper out of harms way. The Kingfisher and its remaining Starmates would still go down to defeat this day!

VIPER “MEDUSA”

One of the first OmniMechs designed by Clan Fire Mandrill (a Homeworld Clan whose bid to participate in Operation REVIVAL failed), the Viper was a superb success. While underarmed and underarmored for its weight, it made up for such deficiencies with an amazing top speed of 129 kilometers per hour and a stunning jump capacity of 240 meters. Despite such quick-strike capacity, the model ultimately fell out of favor and was gifted to Clan Ghost Bear as part of a larger production deal. However, in less than half a century, the production might of Clan Ghost Bear transformed the Viper—designated “Dragonfly” by Inner Sphere forces—into one of the premier medium-class OmniMechs for a variety of Clans, including Clan Wolf.

Star Colonel Dwillt Radick is as flashy and hotheaded as his Sixteenth Battle Cluster. A superlative pilot and excellent tactician, Dwillt loves taunting his enemies, using his Medusa’s unparalleled speed and maneuverability to keep outside the reach of heavier opponents while his knife slashes wear them down to defeat. That hint of cruelty applies off the battlefield as well: as an ardent Crusader, he terrorizes anyone with Warden leanings.

All of these traits ensure Star Colonel Radick’s rise will continue.

Written by Randall Neil Bills

Catalyst Game Labs

PRE ORDER THE VIPER HERE

#2 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:41 AM

:D
This is the tonnage we're missing I believe. I am not sure this is providing the diversity I was looking for but I'll see how it pans out before deciding whether to buy it.

#3 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:41 AM

Kingfisher mentioned? Cool! (I'm still hopping the ultimate Clan zombie will be in the game)

EDIT: Dwillt Radick? Nice to see more canonical pilots.

PS: I'm very curious about how the "hero" omniparts will be managed in the mech lab. Hero omnimechs open a lot of possibilities.

Edited by Odanan, 26 April 2016 - 09:50 AM.

#4 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:43 AM

How Alex turned this:

Posted Image

into that... I will never know. Great job though! A really great looking mech, now!

Edited by Alistair Winter, 26 April 2016 - 09:44 AM.

#5 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:45 AM

KINGFISHER SPOTTED!!!!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:55 AM

Man this thing is pretty. Only solo-pack 'Mech I'm ever buying the Collector's Edition of, most likely, and even then mostly because I can't be stingy with the dollars after pleading with Piranha to give us this thing...but I'm not sure I really regret making the Viper my one mega-bigness splurge on these little packs. So good...and I'll have seven of them to mess with.

Now if only Medusa's pilot wasn't a filthy Crusader...:P

#7 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:56 AM

Is that a hint the Kingfisher is coming and will eventually join the Viper on the MWO battlefield or is the Viper just thumbing its nose at the KIngfisher because it got in and the Kingfisher did not?

I already have the Viper pre-ordered. I am waiting to see what happens with MWO in the next two months to see whether I cancel the order, keep the order or go ahead and get the Champion and reinforcements add ons.

With the latest developments of PGI reverting many features of FW Phase 3 after only a week, I am on the verge of cancelling my Kodiak pre-order also.

I really want to try the Viper so I hope something positive happens soon.

#8 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:11 AM

Isn't the Kingfisher actually DOA though? Clan standard engine?

#9 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:11 AM

View PostOdanan, on 26 April 2016 - 09:41 AM, said:

Kingfisher mentioned? Cool! (I'm still hopping the ultimate Clan zombie will be in the game)

Posted Image

View PostAlistair Winter, on 26 April 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

Quirkening is coming.... for it that is.

#10 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:14 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 26 April 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

2 cLPL, 5 cERMLs, 24 DHS, Shield Arm, a few high hardpoints, Maybe even ECM (probably after the Cyclops reveal)

It has enough punch. Some nice structure buffs will give it a good reason to exist.

Unquirked the mech will be underwhelming to O.K., but looking at the Gargoyle and the Executioner, it is clear that it will get quirks.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 26 April 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#11 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:19 AM

I think they name dropped a Hermes or something in another fluff piece and it isn't in the game so I wouldn't take this as Kingfisher confirmation :P

Anyway I'm sure the Viper will be good (should be Cicada-esque with lower agility (no quirks) but higher alpha), but I skipped it. Didn't want to buy all the add-on packs to get the good omnipods :P

#12 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:27 AM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 26 April 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

I think they name dropped a Hermes or something in another fluff piece and it isn't in the game so I wouldn't take this as Kingfisher confirmation Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Edmar Fecler

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:35 AM

Is it just me, or does the viper look like a Raven on steroids that's grown a pair of arms?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Edmar Fecler, 26 April 2016 - 11:01 AM.

#14 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

View PostEdmar Fecler, on 26 April 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

Is it just me, or does the viper look like a Raven on steroids that's grown a pair of arms?

Which is a good thing, don't you agree? :P

BTW, you used an old image of my template... this one is much better.

#15 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:58 AM

View PostEdmar Fecler, on 26 April 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

They do have similar proportions, but their general shape and lines (Raven = Angular, Viper = Curved) make them look considerably different, to me at least.

#16 Kshat

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 11:02 AM

Why do clansmen interfere with a duel? Even a lowlife from Clan Wolf wouldn't be that stupid to break the rules...
And as despisable as the merchants of Clan Sea Fox might seem, one of their Star Captains wouldn't allow his subjects to interfere as this would stain his honour.

On a sidenote: too sad this potential light hunter won't come to bear in this game due to HSR and hitbox-issues. But alas, at least it should be more graceful than the fridge.

#17 Edmar Fecler

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 26 April 2016 - 11:03 AM

Which is a good thing, don't you agree?Posted Image

Oh, most definitely. The Ravens are by far my favorite mechs in the game. Posted Image

Edited by Edmar Fecler, 26 April 2016 - 11:03 AM.

#18 Domenoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 12:41 PM

View PostThe Unstoppable Puggernaut, on 26 April 2016 - 09:41 AM, said:

Posted Image
This is the tonnage we're missing I believe. I am not sure this is providing the diversity I was looking for but I'll see how it pans out before deciding whether to buy it.

It's not the only tonnage that's missing. We still need the Fire Moth...

Edited by Domenoth, 27 April 2016 - 12:06 PM.

#19 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:02 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 26 April 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

Near Manufacturing Plant DSF-8
Paxon
Clan Homeworlds
13 March 3039

The Kingfisher, ninety tons of anthropomorphic tank, stumbled as the seething, two-meter-deep ochre-colored water slowed the assault BattleMech to a crawl.

Why does the water on existing MWO maps not do that? Instead, you plow through it at full speed, while being slowed down by tiny pebbles in your way or a 5° incline in terrain.

Edited by PFC Carsten, 26 April 2016 - 01:03 PM.

#20 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:34 PM

View PostPFC Carsten, on 26 April 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

<<<snip>>>

Why does the water on existing MWO maps not do that? Instead, you plow through it at full speed, while being slowed down by tiny pebbles in your way or a 5° incline in terrain.

Have you also noticed the Water elements don't have the serious cooling effect of "MechWarrior 3" either? PGI decided to let people have speed over cooling in deep water locations. It would have been fun to see a Mech slowing down, but able to let off more Alphas, but I'm certain that will likely be something we never see. :P

~D. V. "There's your answer... enjoy." Devnull

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users