402 replies to this topic

#61 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:04 PM

Yeah, if far some they just be given at random to the winning team, or top scoring places, or whatever else. . But I don't think they'll really alter played behaviour because finding one doesn't give it to you. You're substantially more likely to have found a crate for someone else on your team.

Not a good motivator.

#62 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:05 PM

View Postadamts01, on 09 May 2016 - 06:52 PM, said:

Unfucking the game will make me buy more mechs, not releasing more mechs.

I am positive the rescale and new mech quirks will fix everything. Or the power draw system. Or the quirk changes after that. Or whatever they come up with after that. I am sure of it. :)

#63 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:06 PM

Not going out of my way too find something I'll have an 8.3% (16.7% in a win) chance at earning, which theN requires MC.

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 09 May 2016 - 07:07 PM.

#64 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:08 PM

View PostDavers, on 09 May 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

I am positive the rescale and new mech quirks will fix everything. Or the power draw system. Or the quirk changes after that. Or whatever they come up with after that. I am sure of it. Posted Image

Maybe add 3-5 more complicated mechanics, 1-2 of which might rolled back because of community backlash, then everything will be "fixed!" ™

Edited by xeromynd, 09 May 2016 - 07:08 PM.

#65 Conreg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 111 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:10 PM

OH I GET IT!!

IT'S A CACHE GRAB!!!! HA HA!

#66 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:11 PM

So... this news...

We're like one step away from powerups in MWO.

Moreso, we'll see double the derp in MWO... while we'll see some people "collecting" all of the goodies, they'll probably get out of position and/or do something derpy just to pick up the item.

I mean... it's all sorts of terribad and fail. You couldn't do a RNG based reward system for parts, but now we'd have to see people pick them up and not play the game?

Big things in July.

#67 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:16 PM

ALELUYA! just when i wanted to throw money into RNGesus pocket! every time i let my guard down PGI kicks me right in the balls. No it's not that negative but it's the reaction i got when i learned about it. Sure feels weird and awkward for a giant robot game.

Need more info.

At best the rewards will be bad enough to not become a part of the plan with team scattering. At worse it will be Plan A for half the people in a team.

I tend to wander off when im in a fast mech so i guess it's good for pilots like me. Will be a chance at an extra... 10k cbills? 25kcbills?

BTW i dunno about other games but Path of Exile is slowly learning that people are tired to pay for a chance to get something you wont get and exclusive stuff. Been a year with those event being full of post about people saying "no" "not anymore" "etc etc"

You know it, it will say "COCKPIT ITEM INSIDE" and you pay to open it and "LUMP OF COAL".

View PostDeathlike, on 09 May 2016 - 07:11 PM, said:

Moreso, we'll see double the derp in MWO... while we'll see some people "collecting" all of the goodies, they'll probably get out of position and/or do something derpy just to pick up the item.

Im warming up to the idea, if i spot a cache and another enemy guy does too... what do? could be exciting, maybe you need a few sec to secure it and the circle is super small.

View PostConreg, on 09 May 2016 - 07:10 PM, said:

OH I GET IT!!

IT'S A CACHE GRAB!!!! HA HA!

i nominate this for bestest post.

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 09 May 2016 - 07:16 PM, said:

Optimism ACTIVATE!

Your optimism is legendary and i truly admire it. I wish i still had any left in me.

Edited by DAYLEET, 09 May 2016 - 07:27 PM.

#68 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

The problem I see is that as a revenue stream, mechs are about played out. We already have many chassis, especially for IS, that does the same thing in a different hit box. For the Clanners, they still have some ways to go but there will be a point where even the above-average player will look critically at a chassis and ask "What does this chassis bring to my game?"

So that's one revenue stream that is going onto a "low power" mode. Maps are more needed, but PGI decided not to monetize that route. Trinkets and colours is the other way, which is always a "low power" source. That leaves premium time as the key money maker. *Checks bank* Nope, not working with me.

End of day PGI needs to make money to keep things going. I'm not happy about crate keys, but I can see it as a revenue stream to keep them in business. The problem is implementation. If we are going to RNG things, can it be at least be consummate with the effort of that one person? It seems wonky that only one random guy on a team that wins as a team gets rewarded -- just reward the whole team if their light scout snatch up one. The grabber getting an extra isn't a problem with me since, well, luck of draw or worked for it.

#69 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

People laugh, but their criticisms are the hush sounds of salt grains rolling down the sides of Mt. Salt.
The caches could eventually become quite interesting via Cache specific items. It's too bad that they can't be gifted to other players, though. I think PGI is kind of throwing away money by not allowing players to give the caches to friends who are willing to spend the MC to unlock them.

So here's something that I think would be interesting for cache loot:

Rare:

- Silver/Chrome/Bronze/Brushed Aluminum/Zirconium (Metallic) Camo patterns

- Special decals

- Proprietary venue for unlocking custom geometry mech bits

Uncommon:

- Mech-bays

- Modules

- Colours

Common:

- Cockpit items

- Weapons

- Consumables

As long as PGI makes caches worth while, I can see them being something that are quite sought after. More-so if they can be given to friends.

Loot distribution for the cache:

100% chance to receive 1 Common item.

Plus a 50% chance to receive an additional Common item.

(Randomly chosen. No flamers, narcs, tags, or machine guns. Big ticket weapons)

40% chance to receive 1 Uncommon items

Plus a 20% chance to receive an additional Uncommon item.

(Randomly chosen.)

10% chance to receive 1 Rare item.

Plus a 5% chance to receive a second item.

(Randomly chosen. Before deciding custom geometry, it first scans which mechs you have and selects appropriate geometry from that list.)

The only thing that needs to be decided to ensure that the caches are worth opening are two factors:
1) The amount of MC it costs to unlock the cache
2) If you care about the items you might get and if you're willing to take a risk.

Depending on the cost, I think that "risk" part is going to make a lot of people back away, even if they have the MC to spend or not. And I think that's where I think PGI is going to get stung with not allowing players to give the caches to a friend that cares more about it.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 09 May 2016 - 07:24 PM.

#70 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:23 PM

View PostDavers, on 09 May 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

I am positive the rescale and new mech quirks will fix everything. Or the power draw system. Or the quirk changes after that. Or whatever they come up with after that. I am sure of it. Posted Image
If don't correctly those things might fix a lot of problems. But there's still the issue of lame game modes and a CW that's nothing more than a base rush/tower defense 1 or 2 tactic crap, abandoned mode.

View PostWintersdark, on 09 May 2016 - 07:04 PM, said:

Yeah, if far some they just be given at random to the winning team, or top scoring places, or whatever else. . But I don't think they'll really alter played behaviour because finding one doesn't give it to you. You're substantially more likely to have found a crate for someone else on your team.
Not a good motivator.
Like the gambling thing I mentioned below, probability of winning doesn't mean much.

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 09 May 2016 - 07:06 PM, said:

Not going out of my way too find something I'll have an 8.3% (16.7% in a win) chance at earning, which theN requires MC.
There's a much less chance of winning the lottery, but it's a billion dollar industry.

#71 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:37 PM

I saw this part of the roadmap and it blew my mind. The initial concept wasn't a terrible idea . . . putting in a "Salvage" mechanic of any sort isn't a bad concept. However the implementation makes me want to slap some sense into whoever came up with it (in a proverbial sense . . . not threatening anyone's well-being here). If they wanted to do it right, then they needed to do something like this:

1. Cache appears randomly on map.

2. Both teams have desire to send scouts to find said box and request the scouts go hunting. The reason for this is because all members of the salvaging team get a nice 50k c-bill salvage bonus for successfully getting the box. Also, one random team member can get a chance at a "supply cache box".

3. Scouts have massive desire to go out and find said box, so they go hunting. Not only do they get the 50k c-bill salvage bonus, but they get a nice 20k c-bill salvage capture bonus on top of it. Not to mention, if their team wins, the capturing mech(s) get a chance at a second "supply cache box" which is awarded only to any who assisted on the capture.

4. Thusly Scouts from both teams go hunting to find the cache and duke it out if necessary.

5. If any cache fight goes on too long, then reinforcements will probably show up to fight for box.

6. Entire match could end up not being fought in the typical locations on any given map, but may end up being a brawl over the salvage rights to said box.

7. Match ends and "supply cache box" winner(s) are announced among the primary box and the "capture box" if it is the winning team. To keep it reasonably fair and level out the chances, an individual pilot cannot walk away with both potential cache boxes in a match.

Return to mech lab screen and go to the Supply Cache tab (if you're a lucky winner):

8a: See Supply Cache in inventory and spend ~25-100 MC to open a box that could award anything from a weapon (base value the minimum 400 MC - 1 Million c-bill exchange rate . . . so about a medium laser in a 25 MC box or an AC/5 in a 100 MC box) all the way up to MC Colors, Permanent Patterns, Mech Bays, and rare chances of Mechs of various types (up to champions and heroes in the big boxes).

-OR-

8b: Sell the box for MC . . . yes . . . MC . . . at 20% the requirements to open the box, so 5 MC for a 25 MC box or 20 MC for a 100 MC box. That way a free player could theoretically sell boxes to earn MC to either open other boxes or -by saving up for an age and a half- to get mech bays and heroes/champions for free. Of course, with prices that go all the way up to 7500 MC for a single mech, it would take a LONG time to save up the free MC to get such a mech, but it might encourage people to make more short-cut purchases to get what they want, when they're half-way there or something.

Otherwise, the original announcement from PGI and the concepts of implementation are a frigging joke. Sadly, in the end, I have no faith right now that they'll implement anything that's even passable as half-assed . . . I think they're going to botch this terribly.

Edited by Sereglach, 09 May 2016 - 07:45 PM.

#72 Conreg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 111 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:39 PM

The real reason they think TTK is too long: Players have to go open a box.

#73 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:47 PM

View PostLynx7725, on 09 May 2016 - 07:16 PM, said:

That leaves premium time as the key money maker. *Checks bank* Nope, not working with me.

I have several friends that have over a billion Cbills, almost every chassis, and still have all their banked premium time (including Founders).

If PGI's doors close it will because of their failure to properly monetize this game, not over any player outrages over mechanics.

#74 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:49 PM

View Postadamts01, on 09 May 2016 - 07:23 PM, said:

If don't correctly those things might fix a lot of problems. But there's still the issue of lame game modes and a CW that's nothing more than a base rush/tower defense 1 or 2 tactic crap, abandoned mode.

Like the gambling thing I mentioned below, probability of winning doesn't mean much.

There's a much less chance of winning the lottery, but it's a billion dollar industry.

The key difference is, I have an equal chance of winning "the lottery" in this case if I don't bother to buy a ticket. I do nothing and still have the same odds to win a box.

#75 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:54 PM

View PostDavers, on 09 May 2016 - 07:47 PM, said:

I have several friends that have over a billion Cbills, almost every chassis, and still have all their banked premium time (including Founders).

If PGI's doors close it will because of their failure to properly monetize this game, not over any player outrages over mechanics.

Pretty much. As much as it's fun and games for us, PGI has to make money in order to keep the lights on. From their perspective, a good game with some broken that brings money in, is better than a great game that doesn't.

Which is why I'm not too upset about the crate idea, it's just that it doesn't seem to be too well thought through. Frankly, it feels like someone on that decision tree is afraid of the user backlash against paid content, and wants to minimize the effect. Unfortunately that just ends up making it stick out even more as a sore thumb, waiting to get hammered.

#76 Gattsus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:00 PM

good stuff, and they decided to include Crates and Purchasable drop decks... WTF!

#77 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:03 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 09 May 2016 - 07:49 PM, said:

The key difference is, I have an equal chance of winning "the lottery" in this case if I don't bother to buy a ticket. I do nothing and still have the same odds to win a box.

All I'm getting at is that bad lights will absolutely leave their team when they shouldn't, more than they already do, even if it's a small chance to win something shiny.

#78 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:04 PM

you know if pgi needs new money there are other things they can do, like introduce new equipment and weapons. more vanity items (custom geometry). more mech varients. more custom skins. most importantly more heros, especially clan heros.

#79 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:06 PM

And in all that no closer to a PVE mode.

#80 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:09 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 09 May 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

And in all that no closer to a PVE mode.

Not true. There is one hidden item in the release note that can lead to a PVE -- they are tuning the academy 'bots to be smarter.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users