Why Are So Many Complaining About "op Kodiak"?

579 replies to this topic

#21 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:50 AM

Good players relative to their tier and the tiers they play with will think it's OP because they think X amount of damage is too far above their norm. It doesn't help to have it just released so everybody wants to play with the shiny new toy (myself included). Then to add the leaderboard event so everybody is trying extra hard and dropping repeatedly to get their best scores (again, myself included)...

They're gonna be complaining about it being OP for a couple more weeks before they realize the CT is gigantic and easy to punch out.

#22 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:53 AM

Why did we need a new thread about this? You didn't notice that 80% of the threads on the first page of the General Forum are already about the Kodiak?

Here's a green Kodiak.

Posted Image

Edited by Alistair Winter, 20 May 2016 - 04:54 AM.

#23 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:54 AM

There seems to be more people complaining about people complaining about the Kodiak being OP than there are people actually complaining about the Kodiak being OP.

#24 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:56 AM

They aren't Cheetahs, that's for sure.

#25 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:53 AM

View PostBush Hopper, on 20 May 2016 - 04:48 AM, said:

No fully true. Play a light mech and try to stay in their back. It is crazy how fast they turn and I bet most of them are not even mastered.

However, as I said before, this is a general problem of MWO: Heavies and Assaults (in most cases) turn too fast

Else...dunno...I have non and it doesn't seem too extreme. Maybe I am wrong /shrug

You are talking to one of the better Locust pilots in the game, man...

#26 Star Commander Kreig

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:13 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 20 May 2016 - 04:53 AM, said:

Why did we need a new thread about this? You didn't notice that 80% of the threads on the first page of the General Forum are already about the Kodiak?

Sorry, as you can see by the number of posts to the left, I don't come to the forums too often. I just wanted to have a legitimate conversation about the subject. I was unaware that there was a cap on the number of Kodiak posts allowed on a game forum Posted Image. That being said, was it really worth your time to read through the posts on this thread so you could complain about it existing? If you didn't read through the posts and just went to the end and posted your complaint, how are your actions better than the guy you are complaining about?

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 20 May 2016 - 04:54 AM, said:

There seems to be more people complaining about people complaining about the Kodiak being OP than there are people actually complaining about the Kodiak being OP.

I didn't really intend to complain about complainers, I guess I was just curious about why people think they are OP. If anything, I think they need a bit of hit box balancing, as it is absurdly easy to CT core one of these things. As a Kodiak pilot, I have learned that the only way to stay upright is to burst fire weapons and torso twist as fast as possible to get your head behind your shoulderpads. With the Clan ACs firing a burst rather than the IS single shot, you have to hold your "squared torso" position long enough to get your shots home, which gives the IS counterpart plenty of time to shoot you in the face. Its been a bit of a struggle to find a build that works for me when facing decent opposition.

To rebut your statement, quite honestly I've not combed the forums to gauge the "OPness" of the Kodiak by those spending time here rather than in their mech seat. I wasn't clear, I suppose; I was referring to match after match of people really belly-aching pre-match and then again after they got shot up. As has already been pointed out, I think the people complaining the most were probably new players that aren't good head/CT shooters.

Edited by Star Commander Kreig, 22 May 2016 - 06:14 AM.

#27 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:54 AM

View PostStar Commander Kreig, on 22 May 2016 - 06:13 AM, said:

Sorry, as you can see by the number of posts to the left, I don't come to the forums too often. I just wanted to have a legitimate conversation about the subject. I was unaware that there was a cap on the number of Kodiak posts allowed on a game forum Posted Image. That being said, was it really worth your time to read through the posts on this thread so you could complain about it existing? If you didn't read through the posts and just went to the end and posted your complaint, how are your actions better than the guy you are complaining about?

Whenever I visit a forum to discuss recent events, whether it's video games, sports, politics, or anything else, I always make sure to check that the topic I want to discuss isn't already covered [several times] on the front page. If people are already discussing it, I refrain from starting yet another thread about it. On most forums, there's a sort of unwritten rule that you try to avoid starting multiple threads about the same topic. There's no actual cap, it's just a common courtesy thing. That's all.

I guess you don't spend a lot of time on forums, so it's hard to pick up on those things unless someone tells you. In which case, I'm happy to help.

#28 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:18 AM

But when ya got 6 on the other team.. it makes for rough going, especially if your assaults don't wanna get out in front. I swapped to a nice long range build.. i wanted to brawl, but for some reason the assaults rather play long ball.. /shrug

Edited by JC Daxion, 16 September 2016 - 04:16 AM.

#29 Ryllen Kriel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 754 posts
  • LocationBetween the last bottle and the next.

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:25 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 20 May 2016 - 04:54 AM, said:

I'm here to complain about Juodas complaining about people complaining about people over the Kodiak!

#30 GreenHell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationGrandmas House

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:27 AM

Only reason "metamechs" rates the -3 so high is because you can hide 90% of the mech while firing if you 'Top-Peek' like a Jaeger. In that situation (and especially if you get ignored) it can pump out huge damage. Dire-Damage with 80-90% cover. I don't see it being OP though. Still can't twist fast enough to brawl with only torso guns, and only marginally faster than other 100 tonners (plus the blackhole CT). Just don't try to trade at 500m with it. EZPZ

#31 ConfettiHunter

Rookie

• The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:18 AM

love reading clanner bias forum pages.
i agree they arnt OP
but their pretty devastating in most engagements.
me being on the receiving end of kodiaks and playing them from time to time i can see their the best 100T mech of the lot bit not by much.
but we can all atleast agree on that

please tho if u think Kodiaks aren't the most powerful 100t then go educate ur self cos u have obviously never taken a kodiak in a 1v1 brawl

#32 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:59 AM

View PostStar Commander Kreig, on 19 May 2016 - 07:15 PM, said:

Yes, they don't suck as much as other 100t mechs in a lot of ways, but they are far from overpowering on the battlefield. I've yet to see a match that the last 10 mech standing, 5 per side, are Kodiaks. Sure there are 3 or 4, but when you start with 8-12 in the match, statistically you SHOULD have 4+ in the final stages of a fight.

Well take a look at the last event..

When almost every assault that is on the top 75 list is a Kodiak.. and every light was either a locust or an ARC.. You have to admit there must be some sort of issues..

I am not saying they are god machines, i am just saying they could use a bit of nerfing.. along with some boosts to other mechs..

heavies are a prime example of this, there are tons of heavies that are on fairly equal ground, mediums are a little further back, but no where near as lop sided as the lights/assaults

#33 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:04 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 16 September 2016 - 03:59 AM, said:

Well take a look at the last event..

When almost every assault that is on the top 75 list is a Kodiak.. and every light was either a locust or an ARC.. You have to admit there must be some sort of issues..

I am not saying they are god machines, i am just saying they could use a bit of nerfing.. along with some boosts to other mechs..

heavies are a prime example of this, there are tons of heavies that are on fairly equal ground, mediums are a little further back, but no where near as lop sided as the lights/assaults

I was in this necro thread

#34 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:17 AM

View PostUnofficialOperator, on 16 September 2016 - 04:04 AM, said:

I was in this necro thread

BAH... I got caught by the dirty trick!

I noticed when i went to *edit my post,.. and realized,.. this is not what i just typed.. is someone hacking my account?? lol

Edited by JC Daxion, 16 September 2016 - 04:17 AM.

#35 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:13 AM

Spoken like a bunch of Clankers.
It's only not OP when it's in your stable huh?
Seriously just stop.
Personally I like em they make fine rugs.
Posted Image

Edited by Novakaine, 16 September 2016 - 06:16 AM.

#36 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:17 AM

When the next mech is released and becomes the flavor of the week, people will claim they are OP too.
It's what people do.

#37 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:29 AM

View Postknnniggett, on 16 September 2016 - 06:17 AM, said:

When the next mech is released and becomes the flavor of the week, people will claim they are OP too.
It's what people do.

The only one that even has issues is the 3, and that's because of the amount of Dakka it can boat. The others are just "meh", they're ok, it's just there is usually another Assault that can do what they do better. For example, the Battlemaster, Banshee, and Warhawk all are better Laserboats than the KDK-1 and 5. The Stalker is a better missileboat than the 4, the Atlas out-brawls the SB, and there are better balanced Assaults than the KDK-2. The only variant that is clear-cut better than it's competition is the KDK-3.

#38 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:41 AM

A properly designed mech for MWO will always be OP. It pretty mech has everything you want in a 100t.

#39 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:01 AM

Kodiak (3) is hardly op haha.

Its just that the players in mwo are so incredibly bad.

Theyd die to a civilian with an archaic bow that shoots at their 100 ton mech.

Piff paff theyd crumble to that or basically anything else and whine op like little crybabies :-P

Edited by oneda, 16 September 2016 - 08:02 AM.

#40 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:12 AM

View Postoneda, on 16 September 2016 - 08:01 AM, said:

Kodiak (3) is hardly op haha.

Its just that the players in mwo are so incredibly bad.

Theyd die to a civilian with an archaic bow that shoots at their 100 ton mech.

Piff paff theyd crumble to that or basically anything else and whine op like little crybabies :-P

SupaHunch DakkaBear was OP

Now the Bear is a good robot, which does not have the agility of a mech half it's size, with double the firepower

Few robots average over 1000 damage with a 100+ sample size, but the SupaHunch DakkaBear did

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users