Next Meck Pack Poll Discussion! Updated Choices And Dev Comments! Escalation Mechs Removed!

2368 replies to this topic

#681 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:25 AM

BTW, looks like the Dervish has taken the Men Shen with a 1 vote lead.

Thanatos still hangs on with a 2 vote lead over the Crusader.

What a race! Its like watching a presidential elec- Nevermind.

#682 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:08 PM

Lol, that was me busting the Men Shen down by 1 changing my votes in Medium.

#683 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

Meanwhile the Guillotine is on pace to be in game some time around 2022!

At least it's doing better than the Onslaught, which seems to have been in the poll from the beginning.

#684 Alan Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:25 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 30 March 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

A reasonable assumption, but nope, we are going older and more obscure than that Posted Image

Seriously though, I never understood why the SNES remake of the first MechWarrior game needed to have it's own original mechs. Maybe it was due to memory constraints :/, but if those mechs are different anyway, why couldn't they be different existing mechs.

Who knows *shrug*

It was probably because at the time the SNES Mechwarrior was being made/ported, since it is a port of the PC engine Mechwarrior, pretty much all the mechs from the first PC Mechwarrior games, i.e. Mechwarrior, were persona non grata in Battletech/Mechwarrior as a whole thanks to HG making a stink over the Macross derived mechs.

EDIT: Had to pull up Sarna.net to find what mechs were and weren't persona non grata.

Literally the only mech from Mechwarrior 1 that would have been allowed was the Jenner, so it's no surprise they had to make up mechs in order for the SNES Mechwarrior to be viable as a product.

Edited by Alan Davion, 30 March 2017 - 12:35 PM.

#685 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:30 PM

View PostKanil, on 30 March 2017 - 12:18 PM, said:

Meanwhile the Guillotine is on pace to be in game some time around 2022!

Until you get to future tech, the Guillotine much like other tech 1 designs don't really differ much from existing designs. I mean, with the Grasshopper in the game, what need do we have for the Guillotine?

The only really interesting Guillotines are the Wobbly variants.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 30 March 2017 - 12:31 PM.

#686 Kanil

• 1,068 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 30 March 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

Until you get to future tech, the Guillotine much like other tech 1 designs don't really differ much from existing designs. I mean, with the Grasshopper in the game, what need do we have for the Guillotine?

The only really interesting Guillotines are the Wobbly variants.

Most badass looking 'mech not currently in the game.

#687 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:39 PM

View PostKanil, on 30 March 2017 - 12:36 PM, said:

Most badass looking 'mech not currently in the game.

There are plenty of those that ALSO do interesting things and aren't essentially just a reskin of an existing mech.

#688 Kanil

• 1,068 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:40 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 30 March 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

There are plenty of those that ALSO do interesting things and aren't essentially just a reskin of an existing mech.

So...?

Edit: I mean, I made a tongue in cheek comment about a 'mech I like, that I never expect to actually see in game. Relax, it's okay. Save your disdain for the Black Lanner voters.

Edited by Kanil, 30 March 2017 - 12:44 PM.

#689 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 30 March 2017 - 12:08 PM, said:

Lol, that was me busting the Men Shen down by 1 changing my votes in Medium.

Starslayer huh? I guess that one seems pretty solid too. Almost like a Hunchback IInonC-A

View PostKanil, on 30 March 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

Save your disdain for the Black Lanner voters.

At least they are voting for a noble CJF mech.

#690 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 30 March 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

Most of the popular nostalgia mechs wouldn't even be BAD, they just overlap with what other mechs can already do. Dervish? 55 ton missile carrier.. of course that would be a solid SRM platform.

Crusader? Also a solid SRM platform, could also mix an autocannon with missiles.

Wasp? The -1W has 6E hardpoints, with a 190 engine cap it would essentially be a jumping locust ish, not a bad performer.

None of those are bad, they just aren't what those particular weight classes need right now. (Well, current lights just need buffs, they don't really need any roles filled).

The medium Class could use a could energy boat in the 55 ton range with JJs, or something like the Men Shen.. can take a few energy hardpoints but has MASC so it pokes and hides well.

Heavy Class could use a 75 ton jumper with ballistics in the arm instead of the side torso. Thanatos or Falconer would be great. OR a 75 tonner with some good mounts for direct fire hardpoints including ballistics (see Dragon Fire).

Assault Class, well Fafnir is cool, Sagittaire probably could have been better but nostalgia. Basically just beastly assaults that can boat guns or do the PPC Gauss thing, since there isn't really a great dual gauss assault for the IS currently, whereas the IS is getting a nice fat gun bag in the Annihilator, so we will see how that goes.

Need for a 75 ton jumping arm mounted ballistics mech? Hammerhands would also fit. though that is more post civil war revival mech than civil war revival mech. And a pretty sluggish 75 ton mech. But, hey it is a jumping 75 ton arm mounted ballistics Davion mech. Happish the Fafnir is winning, main thing the Fafnir has going for it is ECM plus higher engine cap than the Annihilator, but it is an ECM capable faster Annihilator that is really compact. Sagittaire would have offered something more than a more compact Annihilator/King Crab/Atlas.

Edited by Moonlight Grimoire, 30 March 2017 - 03:04 PM.

#691 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

View PostMoonlight Grimoire, on 30 March 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

Hammerhands would also fit. though that is more post civil war revival mech than civil war revival mech. And a pretty sluggish 75 ton mech. But, hey it is a jumping 75 ton arm mounted ballistics Davion mech.

Sluggish is a bit of an understatement. it also doesn't help that it doesn't seem to have side torso mounted energy like the Thanny and Falconer do. Really though I'm sad the Thanny won't be able to mount Heavy Gauss like it did in MW4, that was always a wonderful feeling firing it with several LL while jumping with ECM.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 30 March 2017 - 03:18 PM.

#692 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

View PostMoonlight Grimoire, on 30 March 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

Need for a 75 ton jumping arm mounted ballistics mech? Hammerhands would also fit. though that is more post civil war revival mech than civil war revival mech. And a pretty sluggish 75 ton mech. But, hey it is a jumping 75 ton arm mounted ballistics Davion mech.

Posted Image

#693 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:47 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 30 March 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

Sluggish is a bit of an understatement. it also doesn't help that it doesn't seem to have side torso mounted energy like the Thanny and Falconer do. Really though I'm sad the Thanny won't be able to mount Heavy Gauss like it did in MW4, that was always a wonderful feeling firing it with several LL while jumping with ECM.

The Thanny will still do pretty well, well, depending. It is a brick with legs in it's current art. Falconer would do better since what is side torso and center torso is harder to tell. But, yeah Hammerhands while a favorite of mine from tabletop due to it is stupid and fun, but mostly stupid is not something that useful in MWO.

#694 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:19 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 30 March 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

Most of the popular nostalgia mechs wouldn't even be BAD, they just overlap with what other mechs can already do. Dervish? 55 ton missile carrier.. of course that would be a solid SRM platform.

Crusader? Also a solid SRM platform, could also mix an autocannon with missiles.

Wasp? The -1W has 6E hardpoints, with a 190 engine cap it would essentially be a jumping locust ish, not a bad performer.

None of those are bad, they just aren't what those particular weight classes need right now. (Well, current lights just need buffs, they don't really need any roles filled).

The medium Class could use a could energy boat in the 55 ton range with JJs, or something like the Men Shen.. can take a few energy hardpoints but has MASC so it pokes and hides well.

Heavy Class could use a 75 ton jumper with ballistics in the arm instead of the side torso. Thanatos or Falconer would be great. OR a 75 tonner with some good mounts for direct fire hardpoints including ballistics (see Dragon Fire).

Assault Class, well Fafnir is cool, Sagittaire probably could have been better but nostalgia. Basically just beastly assaults that can boat guns or do the PPC Gauss thing, since there isn't really a great dual gauss assault for the IS currently, whereas the IS is getting a nice fat gun bag in the Annihilator, so we will see how that goes.

So basically we need the Lynx for IS mediums.

For IS heavies it'd be nice to have an actually good ecm heavy like the Dragon Fire or Toyama

#695 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 30 March 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

For IS heavies it'd be nice to have an actually good ecm heavy like the Dragon Fire or Toyama

Honestly, the Starslayer doesn't sound like a bad option to me either, was there a reason we didn't like that one? I can't remember.

#696 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:24 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 30 March 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

Honestly, the Starslayer doesn't sound like a bad option to me either, was there a reason we didn't like that one? I can't remember.

Overlap with the Shadow Hawk 2K?

#697 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:35 PM

View PostFupDup, on 30 March 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

Overlap with the Shadow Hawk 2K?

I mean that only has 3 energy hardpoints right? Starslayer would have more because they aren't mixed with missiles.

Edit: Stock has 5E 1M, would probably get some inflation. The 3D has 5E and would also likely get some inflation, so not really, though I'm not sure if going beyond 3LPLs in a medium is even worth it.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 30 March 2017 - 04:37 PM.

#698 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:37 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 30 March 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

The Toyama could use a lot more love on the poll. I Guess people don't want it because it's a mech that wasn't featured in previous mechwarrior titles (At least none that I'm aware of). Proves that nostalgia triumphs over everything (I'm for nostalgia mechs that actually contribute something to the game). It would be a shame if it got ignored, since I have an affinity for arm canon mechs like the blackjack and such.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 30 March 2017 - 04:40 PM.

#699 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 30 March 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

I mean that only has 3 energy hardpoints right? Starslayer would have more because they aren't mixed with missiles.

Right, but the true role of the Shady 2K is an energy sniper. There isn't much you can do with missiles on it that you can't do with a Griffin or other Shadow Hawk variant.

#700 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

One IS mech I am surprised sees so little attention is the Komodo.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Komodo

Posted Image

Jump jets, ECM, 2x AMS, and 11 energy hardpoints on a 45 ton platform. I mean, wow. A little slow, but still...

Its relation, the Shegenja, is an interesting beasty, too.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Shugenja

29 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 29 guests, 0 anonymous users