I Am Just Couious. How Long Have You Been Playing Mwo? Will You Leave Mwo If This Skill Tree Is Droped On Live Servers?

188 replies to this topic

#121 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:42 AM

View PostScrubLord1, on 01 May 2017 - 04:54 AM, said:

Will still be playing as I still can find some enjoyment out of the game. Rule of 3 removal will free up mechbays as well, though its more of coming together with the patch, than really being part of the skill tree system.

That said this new system is complete garbage. It tells you its giving you more customization, in fact its a blanket nerf across the board. Worse part is the forced nodes. It wouldnt matter as much if those nodes were actually semi-useful, but forcing you to take gyros, hill climb, SPEED RETENTION!? Hello? Even a blind man can tell something is wrong with it

It IS giving you more customization. It's also a blanket nerf.

But consider: the nerf isn't because of the skill tree, it's because PGI wants to increase ttk.

Ergo, even without the new skill tree, we'd be getting big blanket nerf anyways.

#122 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

View PostScrubLord1, on 01 May 2017 - 04:54 AM, said:

Will still be playing as I still can find some enjoyment out of the game. Rule of 3 removal will free up mechbays as well, though its more of coming together with the patch, than really being part of the skill tree system.

That said this new system is complete garbage. It tells you its giving you more customization, in fact its a blanket nerf across the board. Worse part is the forced nodes. It wouldnt matter as much if those nodes were actually semi-useful, but forcing you to take gyros, hill climb, SPEED RETENTION!? Hello? Even a blind man can tell something is wrong with it

Fun facts: Gyros and hill climb are both useful nodes, they actually do things that help your agility and the effectiveness of return fire/visibility in match. Also you do not actually have to take a single speed retention node, ever. Did you know this? Did you bother checking before saying something is true when it's not?

#123 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:32 PM

I have been playing MWO since August 2012 when it was still in closed beta, so over 4.5 years, I will definately not leave if the new skill tree is released on servers but if it is pushed back further I may take a break until newtech gets here, if people complaining get it canceled like PGIs last few features to go on the PTS I will be rather annoyed.

In my opinion this new skill tree is a massive improvement over what we currently have, and I would have prefered for PGI to release it in March and evolve/improve it after it went live, the new skill tree is literaly something I have been waiting for for more than 3 years.

there is literaly only 1 case where the skills you are forced to take to get to the skill you want can hurt a build, that is heat gen, to get that you have to purchase cooldown which almost totaly negates the heat reduction, meaning heat gen is not useful for heat management on a hot running Mech, only on a Mech you want a higher rate of fire without adding heat.
there is no other case where one of the skills you are "forced" to take would hurt your build, yes you may have to take some skills that do not help your build to get to the ones you want but would you realy prefer certain skills to cost 2+ points with no extra bonus given (if so then I cannot understand your viewpoint).

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 01 May 2017 - 01:37 PM.

#124 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:05 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 01 May 2017 - 01:32 PM, said:

I have been playing MWO since August 2012 when it was still in closed beta, so over 4.5 years, I will definately not leave if the new skill tree is released on servers but if it is pushed back further I may take a break until newtech gets here, if people complaining get it canceled like PGIs last few features to go on the PTS I will be rather annoyed.

In my opinion this new skill tree is a massive improvement over what we currently have, and I would have prefered for PGI to release it in March and evolve/improve it after it went live, the new skill tree is literaly something I have been waiting for for more than 3 years.

there is literaly only 1 case where the skills you are forced to take to get to the skill you want can hurt a build, that is heat gen, to get that you have to purchase cooldown which almost totaly negates the heat reduction, meaning heat gen is not useful for heat management on a hot running Mech, only on a Mech you want a higher rate of fire without adding heat.
there is no other case where one of the skills you are "forced" to take would hurt your build, yes you may have to take some skills that do not help your build to get to the ones you want but would you realy prefer certain skills to cost 2+ points with no extra bonus given (if so then I cannot understand your viewpoint).

Yeah; gotta say, I've been largely on a break since December, as I'm really looking forward to New Stuff - new skill tree and new gear - and I'm kind of at a point where I'm not really interested in doing more of the same.

I'm patiently waiting for a the new skill tree to give me some fun Stuff To Do with my mechs. I'd be sad if it was cancelled or delayed. In either case, I'd just stay on the fence until something new comes along. I've always spent a lot of money here even when I'm not playing much, but I'm not right now simply because I don't know when New Stuff will actually happen and there's little point in buying mechpacks when I can just get them for cbills when I start playing again.

Of course, no threats or anything here; I know the new gear is at least guaranteed, and I think the skill tree is extremely probable. I'm just waiting for either of them to actually happen.

#125 Livaria

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 405 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:18 PM

I will not be leaving, and I've played since closed beta. I'm actually willing to keep playing if the skill tree gets released. Even though I highly advise that more development get's put into the skill tree..

It needs to be more user friendly, and have a have a more fair pricing model. I am strongly against the skill trees use of experience requirement to unlock nodes. Players shouldn't have to grind for their mech to be optimal. Upgrades should be free of experience costs.

I don't think respect costs would be nearly as taxing if upgrades required no experience. Otherwise players are dropping into battle where some players start off with an advantage where as others wont.

#126 Lionheart2012

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:19 PM

Been playing since January 19, 2013, four years and three and a half months. And of course I will still play, as this tree will afford me the opportunity to try new methods of customizing my mechs. It is something new to try and to investigate. That is what makes this game fun, the tinkering and testing you can do. It is the thinking man's shooter, not a mindless rush with unlimited respawns. By the way, death to the three 'mech rule! Now to deal with some of the most egregious critiques.

View PostAnTi90d, on 27 April 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

I loved MWO when I first picked it up. I was pouring money into the game because I was so fond of it.

Then Russler pooped on the Minimap.

Minimap was not going to be zoomable, but a toggle from the full map to a 2000m^2 version. https://mwomercs.com...ng-new-mini-map
But such a toggle is irrelevant when you consider the battle grid functionality. Additionally with such large maps as Terra Therma and Polar Highlands, the icons would be almost as large as the grid itself, such that they would be useless.

..and rescaled IS lights so large that my sweet little Firestarters were unplayable.

They are still played, but probably not as much with the introduction of other lights in the same weight class. Now they are not so OP because of being undersized relative to these other mechs.

..and started dropping nuclear bombs into FP.

...and the community spoke and the nukes are gone.

..and invented a 4 man queue, in FP, that usually ends up giving the other team major advantages in the fight.

...Because the community asked for a 4v4 mode that involved more scouting and less brawling.

..and removed the quirks from a lot of halfway decent mechs on the IS side.

...Achieved better balance by nerfing the meta.

..and ignored basically all the feedback from two FP Roundtables, which were actually just sales pitches.

Tug of war? Voting for planets? Removing the artillery strike? Stock mode?

..and decided to shoehorn Quickplay modes into FP, so I never actually get to play Invasion matches in the Invasion mode.

Because the community asked to play these maps in Faction Play.

..and came up with Energy Draw, which was a gross abomination that should never see the light of day, even on another PTS.

...which was never implemented, but was designed to deal with boating and meta.

..and now they're removing three fourths of the quirks on the underperforming mechs, which directly screws over players that have a mech roster mostly or exclusively made up of IS mechs.

Hyperbolic commentary (meh).

..while shoving a Skill Maze down our throats.

And the old one was such a darling example of min/max issues. Did you play it in open beta, prior to PSR? You haven't lived as a noob until you have gone through that hell. This is much better as it keeps mechs relatively closer to their stock characteristics, rather than promoting a meta.

Edited by Lionheart2012, 01 May 2017 - 08:40 PM.

#127 Erik Ouzbel

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:08 PM

I've played off and on since open beta 2. I come in, play a few rounds when I have the chance, maybe grab a mechpack or two then leave for a good while since the game still feels like a clunkier version of MW4. What gets me more is the dev saying that people who buy mechs with real money are cheapskates instead of spending money or cbills to get modules. I don't think he gets why most people pay for mechs in the game. It's not due to new ones being more powerful than the last set, but how people become attached to a particular design. Take Cryptic's Star Trek Online for example. Lots of people paid money for new versions of the Excelsior, Sovereign, B'Rel, and many other iconic ships. Those ships weren't even the best for their role when released, and people still purchased them, either for the design or nostalgia.

The C-Bill costs for purchasing skill points is a horrible idea. I'm lucky to break 120k when playing a light mech with 80k going towards refilling the consumables. Hell, I still don't understand why after landing several clan guass and full er large laser strikes on a mech, the after battle stats still show I only did 12 or 15 damage. If anything, the attitude of the devs that players are spending money incorrectly will cause me to drop the game and go over to Heavy Gear or one of the many Gundam mmos to get my mecha fix on the pc. At least I don't have to wait for 10-15 minutes to play a 36 vs 36 match with the gundams.

#128 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

View PostErik Ouzbel, on 01 May 2017 - 09:08 PM, said:

What gets me more is the dev saying that people who buy mechs with real money are cheapskates instead of spending money or cbills to get modules. I don't think he gets why most people pay for mechs in the game.

You really need to go listen to that podcast and listen to what was actually said and what the context was at the time.

Edited by Rampage, 02 May 2017 - 04:10 PM.

#129 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

I have been playing since late Closed Beta....I will not be leaving. I like the skill tree.

#130 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

Been around since first beta, but haven't played for close to a year. Didn't leave salty, just wandered into other things, and could never make space on my SSD whenever I was tempted enough to return.

This will make me come back :)

#131 A Really Old Clan Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:07 PM

Been playing for 12 months now.
Its an easy game to get started but hard to master,
Skill tree just makes it even harder for beginners.

I wont leave but I will vote with my wallet.

#132 Christopher Hamilton

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII, Steiner Sector

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:25 AM

I played since end of beta. I bought 220 mechs, some with cash.
technically you can consider me dropping this game.
havent logged in since tech level 3 trash tech was announced. (it killed classic battletech balance instead of fixing it, why cant people learn from history ?)

i wont partake in that skill tree ****.
MWO for me was always that game i could squeeze in where my former MMOs where no fun because of endless farming requirements. that has ended.
I wont stop playing. i will play something else and occasionally return.
I will stop PAYING. i dont see a reason to pay for people upsetting me.

i do not like the idea of having to level *bleep bleep bleep bleepin bleep bleep* in a first person shooter. The main problem in this game is teamplay vs random ignorant players and the huge skill gap in not twisting torso etc. no need to make it worse by handing the sealbashers more skills to farm and pay from their fat cash while the occasionals or new players still struggle with getting teamplay organized and mitigation of damage while beeing roflstomped...
but hey, that same stuff already killed pvp in many games, every game-dev needs to have that experience once. but excuse me if i dont like to pay for that again and again...

#133 Fat Jack Murphy

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 91 posts
  • LocationEuropa

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:31 AM

I played for a few years now.
and since almost everyone in our unit (which based on a pen and paper unit from back in 1989) is dropping out with the tech level change (tier 3 tech, civil war, call it what you want. I hate it from the depths of hell, because it foo ked up battletech back then - and it will happen here, too) and the skill tree change (we all believe that skill leveling and farming is not fun, but hey, we are all in the early to late 40s, pay for content others use for free... i guess thats unimportant here.)

I see many idiocies beeing done in a first person shooter with robots that should belong into an MMO with MMO-style content. I just dont want to be part of that. and i already spent too much cash on this game for it to be a easy parting, but there is no use throwing good money after bad one.

have fun everyone. enjoy your farming loop with random pug vs unit sync drop imbalance. i`ll be having a look once the mess sorts itself. if i like what i see, i might be back. i doubt that for most people from my unit though.

#134 Lolo van Trollinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 167 posts
  • LocationTrollhejmr

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:33 AM

skilltree and that civil war crap just ruins the fun. im out.
if i return i wont be spending cash.

#135 Iain Black

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:35 AM

this skill tree thing makes me sad that i ever spent real money on this game and even purchased that annihilator withour reading the forums.

i dont like the skill tree. i dont like those new weapons.

about 2 years down the drain. better be going now then listen to the salty sea unfolding.
wallet closed.

#136 Masochistic Trashcan Virtuoso

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 60 posts
  • LocationMetropolis, Urbia, Cityplanet.

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:46 AM

minimap - trash
faction play with QP modes - trash
tech update - trash
skill tree - trash

i`m not going away. but dont ask me to spend cash on trash.
oh... and i dont think i`m gonna spend a lot of time in here.
the combination of seismic, quick zone finder and AC buffs will be buttbreaking expensive and new urbies will take forever to level.

thanks pgi, basically ruined the game for me.

#137 Syn Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:51 AM

i played since end of beta.
i bought all clan packs that where there to buy.
i have been a loyalist falcon.

i stopped playing on a regular base when we just got roflstops plus long dong killstealing in the FP queues.
winning is nice, if it takes effort. otherwise it leaves a sordid smell on your tongue...
removing the FP maps technically (and replacing them with just again quick play maps, i cant see QP maps anymore... its a repeating nightmare now) didnt make it better.
adding that civil war trash but not giving us a real light that can compete with a locust is a joke. a bad one. on us.
clans should be fighting in units of 2x5 not 3x4. has been, shall be. would fix tonnage and other imbalance. immediately. wont happen. not nice.
minimap ? its an annoying bit of dog feces.
skill tree ? thats about it. its the drop of water that makes the barrel overflow. and it breaks the idea behind omnimechs if i have to reskill that dipshitfuckinghellova skilltree before every match where i decide to quickly alter a setup.

excuse me, i am off. sorry i bought new mechs i wont get to master. i`ve not even mastered the old stuff. but this time, i wont master them anymore at all. f... off, im out.

EDIT: and things like this and the TSW->TSW:Legends handover are reasons i wont be spending any more cash on online games at all. ever. break the games how much you want. but dont complain if you get nothing (no time, no money). have a nice day.

PS: if you dont like the language, growthefuckup.

Edited by Syn Pryde, 03 May 2017 - 12:58 AM.

#138 Noble-One

• Pip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 15 posts
  • LocationReach - Asźod Abwrackwerften

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:49 AM

I play MWO for 2000h now , i wont leave it anyways + i love the new skill system :D

#139 Noble-One

• Pip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 15 posts
  • LocationReach - Asźod Abwrackwerften

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:53 AM

View PostMasochistic Trashcan Virtuoso, on 03 May 2017 - 12:46 AM, said:

minimap - trash
faction play with QP modes - trash
tech update - trash
skill tree - trash

i`m not going away. but dont ask me to spend cash on trash.
oh... and i dont think i`m gonna spend a lot of time in here.
the combination of seismic, quick zone finder and AC buffs will be buttbreaking expensive and new urbies will take forever to level.

thanks pgi, basically ruined the game for me.

Trash ? Nope , it all was good updates .
If u say no , u like a game with ****** minimap , nearly no gamemodes , not many options to personalise your own mech , yeah....the updates was sooo bad .

#140 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:08 AM

I play since the beginning.
Very active, semi comp with the first unit.
More casually now since 1-2 years, as i play other coop games with my buddies (division, wildlands, even grindy star conflict).

I spend over 1000$ by getting nearly all packs and recently got the MadCat2.
I will play more and will see what I like to buy, but i already own 200 mechs, hich are mostly elited/mastered.

I am waiting for the skill tree and also would like to see gameplay to take much longer... to have epic long battles, such as if you would fight with battleships.
I dont battles where your mech feels vulnerable like human solders or even a normal tank, but it should feel strong and sturdy.
thats why Im als for the previous PTS of InfoWarfare and Energy Draw.
I would rather have battles where retreat and strategic manovuers are relevant over deathball with insta-kills on both sides.

ST for me is ok.
Costs are fine, refund is good and respec is ok.
The layout could be better grouped, but it allows enough, and a lot more than the static upgrade we have now. Also fine with the UI and the time I would need in the ST, as it will be similar to the MechLab, but less frequent changes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users