Now what?

#22 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

Polar highlands is just perfect the way it is.

The problem isn't the map it is the unskilled players who apparently can't use ridges and trenches as cover. You can't just expose yourself, let the enemy gain a lock and then duck behind LRM proof cover at the last moment like a noob. You got to think ahead, expose only long enough to fire and start moving before you get the incoming missile warning.

Got a problem with a light behind you. Don't just ignore them because you are to lazy. When he sticks his head up put some serious firepower on it. He'll break line of sight with you. After a couple of attempts he'll either die or give up. Honesty it isn't that difficult.

Polar highlands is a popular enough map. If you don't like it because you can't find cover, then that should tell you something about the disparity in your skill.

#23 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:51 PM

View PostSeventhSL, on 14 November 2017 - 02:17 PM, said:

Polar highlands is a popular enough map. If you don't like it because you can't find cover, then that should tell you something about the disparity in your skill.

Yes, because when someone has a great idea, it's not because he sees a problem or a potential improvement, no he's ALWAYS trying to make a change because he's a skill-less badtato. *sarcasm.

#24 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 14 November 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

Yes, because when someone has a great idea, it's not because he sees a problem or a potential improvement, no he's ALWAYS trying to make a change because he's a skill-less badtato. *sarcasm.

If you have the skill to use cover on Polar Highlands then the statement does not apply to you. It only applies to you if "you don't like it because you can't find cover".

#25 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 14 November 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

I don't like consumables.

That is irrelevant given we already have consumables and they are not going away. As such, we might as well have more useful ones.

#26 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:59 PM

View PostSeventhSL, on 14 November 2017 - 03:37 PM, said:

If you have the skill to use cover on Polar Highlands then the statement does not apply to you. It only applies to you if "you don't like it because you can't find cover".

The problem there is you think it's applicable at all.

There's hard cover, and soft cover. PH has plenty of cover, just not those that are good enough to stop LRMs. If you think i hate it because there's no hard cover, you're damn right, i hate it because of that. Because i hate it, I want to change it.

PH IIRC is widely regarded as a bad map -- it's either snipers or lurmers. And when it's lurmers, potatoes are just hiding back, and they end up as a liability for those who could actually carry, then get singled out when we actually have the initiative to engage with the enemy team.

#27 FantasticMrDark

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:01 PM

The best way to fix Polar Highlands is to change its ambient temperature to the same as Vitric Forge and rename it to Thermal Highlands so I never have to see it again.

#28 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:04 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 14 November 2017 - 03:59 PM, said:

There's hard cover, and soft cover. PH has plenty of cover, just not those that are good enough to stop LRMs. If you think i hate it because there's no hard cover, you're damn right, i hate it because of that. Because i hate it, I want to change it.

PH IIRC is widely regarded as a bad map -- it's either snipers or lurmers. And when it's lurmers, potatoes are just hiding back, and they end up as a liability for those who could actually carry, then get singled out when we actually have the initiative to engage with the enemy team.

PH is widely regarded as a bad map -- only by those who hate it.

Why not just ask for a new map similar to it but with different cover? Why intentionally stiff people who like PH?

I really do not understand the selfishness of much of this player base. <smh>

Edited by Mystere, 14 November 2017 - 04:14 PM.

#29 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:12 PM

Deeper ditches would help, canyon is a good example.
More channels to approach from would be nice.

Buildings and dishes would help a lot.

#30 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:14 PM

View PostMystere, on 14 November 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

PH is widely regarded as a bad map -- only by those who hate it.

"Widely regarded", it's not saying that it's objectively a bad map, rather it's subjectively a bad map considered by many people, as i understood it.

And that doesn't really say that it's not bad at all. It only says that there's a lot that hates the map.

View PostMystere, on 14 November 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

Why not just ask for a new map similar to it but with difference cover? Why intentionally stiff people who like PH?

I really do not understand the selfishness of much of this player base. <smh>

Because modifying existing maps takes less work than making new maps. Likewise, we could say the same thing as the people who like it is selfish, that it's selfish to have it stay being biased and self-serving.

No, i don't intentionally stiff lrm people who like PH. Satellite Dishes could be implemented in such a way that it won't make PH LRM retardant, hell it would still be bad at direct-fire. What i want is compromise.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 14 November 2017 - 05:49 PM.

#31 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 14 November 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

Because modifying existing maps takes less work than making new maps. Likewise, we could say the same thing as the people who like it is selfish, that it's selfish to have it stay being biased and self-serving.

No, i don't intentionally stiff lrm people who like PH. Satellite Dishes could be implemented in such a way that it won't make PH LRM retardant, hell direct fire would still be bad at direct-fire. What i want is compromise.

What is so very very difficult about copying an existing map and then making changes to the copy?

Is that even selfish at all? (Don't answer. That was rhetorical. <shrugs>)

#32 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:18 PM

PH has plenty of cover, just not those that are good enough to stop LRMs. If you think i hate it because there's no hard cover, you're damn right, i hate it because of that.

So you hate it because you can't find noob friendly hard cover to stop LRMs. Guess the statement does apply to you.

The key to Polar is to manage your exposure time using ridges, trenches, range and weight of fire. Don't wait for the missile warning. You need to be breaking locks before, or as they launch. Think ahead. It is easy once you aquire the skill. If you know you struggle then build with Mechs with LRM counters like radar deprivation and AMS.

Polar gets picked a lot and every other map has hard cover, as you call it. As cool as the dish idea sounds, why encourage skilless, hard cover, LRM easy mode play on every single map? If anything there should be more maps like Polar so that people do not get so needy on hard cover.

#33 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:19 PM

So your problem isn't the fault of the map. It's bad teammates. Maybe you should only play in premades?

#34 Trenchbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:20 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 14 November 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

I don't like consumables.

Then add the one-ton, one-crit Chaff pods that would act like consumables in pod form.

Chaff Pods are canon, btw.

#35 Troa Barton

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 356 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUS

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:24 PM

As an LRM abuser player I approve of this.

#36 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:16 PM

View PostSeventhSL, on 14 November 2017 - 04:18 PM, said:

So you hate it because you can't find noob friendly hard cover to stop LRMs. Guess the statement does apply to you.

As if you're the authority on things here, on SeventhSL universe maybe.

The key to Polar is to manage your exposure time using ridges, trenches, range and weight of fire. Don't wait for the missile warning. You need to be breaking locks before, or as they launch. Think ahead. It is easy once you aquire the skill. If you know you struggle then build with Mechs with LRM counters like radar deprivation and AMS.

Yes, duh. As if i don't know that. Is that what your dogma? Anyone who doesn't like PH just doesn't know how to use it? It's impossible to genuinely hate it but properly know how to play it?

I got 5740 games under my belt, I'm at the 96th percentile, I know my ****.

Polar gets picked a lot and every other map has hard cover, as you call it. As cool as the dish idea sounds, why encourage skilless, hard cover, LRM easy mode play on every single map? If anything there should be more maps like Polar so that people do not get so needy on hard cover.

Oh? so there it is, you think that hard-covers are just skill-less. Are you the LRM people that would be "heavily" negatively affected by this change?

I'd rather have every weapon to have relatively good effectiveness on many maps, not have it too skewed to sniping or lrms. And sure, yes, LRMs are kind of bad -- but really it needs more than map change, it needs mechanic change.

View PostWolfways, on 14 November 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

I meant it's pointless to add something to the map that isn't needed. I don't think the other maps are pointless so I'm not sure what gave you that impression.

No, what is pointless is adding something that has so negligible effect that such a change could be barely noticed. That it's a waste of effort at all.

View PostWolfways, on 14 November 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

So your problem isn't the fault of the map. It's bad teammates. Maybe you should only play in premades?

Not necessarily, both of them are a factor -- bad map, bad teammates, bad weapons. Yes addressing one doesn't completely fix the issue, but i am proposing one of the improvements that CAN be done.

View PostMystere, on 14 November 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

What is so very very difficult about copying an existing map and then making changes to the copy?

Is that even selfish at all? (Don't answer. That was rhetorical. <shrugs>)

"Less work", not difficult.

And it's not that it's difficult, it's just bad. That's like Call-Of-Duty franchise -- but except of a shooter game, it's just a map with little variations. I don't like lazy rehashed maps, i prefer efficiently done changes.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 14 November 2017 - 05:57 PM.

#37 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

Take a breath mate and relax.

#38 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:47 PM

View PostSeventhSL, on 14 November 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

Take a breath mate and relax.

I am relaxed.

Think of me talking like Craig:

Posted Image

#39 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:49 PM

Ha ha cool. Sounded like you were triggered but pleased your not.

#40 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:52 PM

View PostSeventhSL, on 14 November 2017 - 05:49 PM, said:

Ha ha cool. Sounded like you were triggered but pleased your not.

Well, i am insulted, because of you insinuating that I don't have the skill to use covers in Polar Highlands just because i hate that it has poor covers for LRMs. No i use covers just fine.

Do you know what Ad Hominem is? Do you know why it's fallacious?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users