How To "fix" Polar Highlands

205 replies to this topic

#61 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:52 AM

Still seeing only 2 or 3 mechs with ams is each team: No ams, no cry!

Dont want to take that single ton?
Your problem, but dont aks for changing a map or weapon,
because you dont want to use a cheap counter!

View PostTheOnlyRealDon, on 15 November 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

I think the real problem here is that mechs capable of truly boating ams are few and far between. Notably we have 2 triple ams mechs in the game at the moment; kit fox and the nova. Several with 2 slots and the catch with that is people need to sacrifice weapon space or components like HS.

With a few of these added it could help add some more cover for a lance that does get spotted in one of the many shallower trenches.

A lance can have at least 4 ams, if they want,
you dont need that much multiams, if every mech would take one.
And there is only a single mech without any ams hardpoint.

Yes you have to sacrifice a single ml or heatsink, but you get more then one ton of misslearmor in exchange.
Is a single heatsink or ml more usefull for you? Ok, then dont cry about missiles!

Edited by Kroete, 15 November 2017 - 08:58 AM.

#62 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

BTW, just noticed something on Polar Highlands today.
Posted Image

#63 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

View PostTheOnlyRealDon, on 15 November 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

I think the real problem here is that mechs capable of truly boating ams are few and far between. Notably we have 2 triple ams mechs in the game at the moment; kit fox and the nova. Several with 2 slots and the catch with that is people need to sacrifice weapon space or components like HS.

With a few of these added it could help add some more cover for a lance that does get spotted in one of the many shallower trenches. Also asking a whole pug lance to stay near a group while using ams as cover for tier team is harder to accomplish, even more so at lower tiers where lrms on the map are a guarantee as those players haven't ventured out into more of the skill based weapons that use aim and leading to actually hit targets.

As long as they aren't an entire field to hide under but more of spaced out objects those dishes could actually give many more players built for medium and short range a chance.

But really what is needed is more ams mechs including multi ams platforms and ecm mechs to stay closer to the main force.

I'm in favor but also support using mechanics we already have with slight adjustment.

Hold on a second! Don't the overwhelming majority of mechs have AMS capability? Why are people not equipping AMS then but would rather cry on the forums?

Edited by Mystere, 15 November 2017 - 02:34 PM.

#64 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 695 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:01 PM

View PostWolfways, on 15 November 2017 - 08:32 AM, said:

You can definitely tell who the noobs that get killed by LRM's a lot are in this thread.

No, You mean the people that actually learned to play the game without LRM boating like a noob.
Sorry polar highlands blows its the worst map in the game and I'd rather run HPG all day than play polar once.
I'm not alone either.

Edited by Vonbach, 15 November 2017 - 03:04 PM.

#65 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:43 PM

View PostKroete, on 15 November 2017 - 08:52 AM, said:

Still seeing only 2 or 3 mechs with ams is each team: No ams, no cry!

Dont want to take that single ton?
Your problem, but dont aks for changing a map or weapon,
because you dont want to use a cheap counter!

A lance can have at least 4 ams, if they want,
you dont need that much multiams, if every mech would take one.
And there is only a single mech without any ams hardpoint.

Yes you have to sacrifice a single ml or heatsink, but you get more then one ton of misslearmor in exchange.
Is a single heatsink or ml more usefull for you? Ok, then dont cry about missiles!

Im happy bringing AMS.

Not gonna be much help if the enemy, has lots of LRM80A supernova though, my 3x AMS kitfox is just going to pad scores.

View PostVellron2005, on 15 November 2017 - 04:50 AM, said:

@TheSixthMessanger

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were the OP.

If I had, I would have just skipped this topic all together.

Not worth my time explaining why most of your ideas are simply not good.

Well, with your LRM bias cause it's your favorite weapon, I don't think you're qualified.

View PostVellron2005, on 15 November 2017 - 04:50 AM, said:

Note that I'm not biased or touchy, or anything, you and I simply seem to have different views, and I find it it's not worth arguing over this again.

No, you're pretty biased and touchy.

That's all, good day.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 15 November 2017 - 03:48 PM.

#66 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:04 PM

I still think you should only get incoming missile warnings if you have AMS equipped.

Other weapons dont conveniently warn you when youre about to get hit by them? Why should missiles?

if you want the missile warning you should have to shell out the tonnage for an AMS

#67 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:05 PM

View PostKhobai, on 15 November 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

I still think you should only get incoming missile warnings if you have AMS equipped.

Other weapons dont conveniently warn you when youre about to get hit by them? Why should missiles?

if you want the missile warning you should have to shell out the tonnage for an AMS

Wrong thread buddy. Wrong thread.

#68 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:11 PM

View PostVonbach, on 15 November 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

No, You mean the people that actually learned to play the game without LRM boating like a noob.
Sorry polar highlands blows its the worst map in the game and I'd rather run HPG all day than play polar once.
I'm not alone either.

lol You're the one assuming that anyone who likes the map must be an LRM boater. I love PH and don't have a single LRM boat. In fact all my mechs have their stock weapons. It's more true to BT and makes the game harder for me (well easier with my IS mechs).
But luckily for you pgi seem to like making tiny, cramped maps which are very LRM unfriendly and are just "walk forward, then anticlockwise and shoot each other".

I wonder why the game isn't doing so well anymore... Posted Image

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 15 November 2017 - 04:05 PM, said:

Wrong thread buddy. Wrong thread.

No, it's just another LRM whine thread.

#69 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

View PostWolfways, on 15 November 2017 - 04:11 PM, said:

No, it's just another LRM whine thread.

Lol.

#70 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

Polar Highland does not need a "Fix". IMO it is one of, if not the best map in the game. I am never disappointed when I see it voted in, even if I am in a mid or short ranged Mech build. I do not use LRMs. I have only ever been in one game that I can remember where we were overwhelmed by LRMs and that was against a team with 4-5 LRM boats and two NARC Ravens. They took a big chance bringing those builds because they would have suffered if HPG, MIning, Bog or Terra Therma had come up. Barring coming up against a team like that again, I cannot imagine a situation on Polar where you could not compete with just about any build as long as you use the terrain to your advantage.

Polar is fine. It adds diversity to the game. A variety of environments to wage battle on makes the game interesting and is important to keep any war game dynamic.

Make more maps. Leave Polar alone.

Edited by Rampage, 15 November 2017 - 04:52 PM.

#71 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:27 PM

View PostRampage, on 15 November 2017 - 04:50 PM, said:

Polar Highland does not need a "Fix". IMO it is one of, if not the best map in the game. I am never disappointed when I see it voted in, even if I am in a mid or short ranged Mech build. I do not use LRMs. I have only ever been in one game that I can remember where we were overwhelmed by LRMs and that was against a team with 4-5 LRM boats and two NARC Ravens. They took a big chance bringing those builds because they would have suffered if HPG, MIning, Bog or Terra Therma had come up. Barring coming up against a team like that again, I cannot imagine a situation on Polar where you could not compete with just about any build as long as you use the terrain to your advantage.

Polar is fine. It adds diversity to the game. A variety of environments to wage battle on makes the game interesting and is important to keep any war game dynamic.

Make more maps. Leave Polar alone.

A lot of people feel the same way as you. Myself included. Polar brings diversity to the game pure and simple. No set lanes or choke points, plenty of room to manoeuvre and deceptive cover that really puts your skills to the test.

#72 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:34 PM

View PostSeventhSL, on 15 November 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

A lot of people feel the same way as you. Myself included. Polar brings diversity to the game pure and simple. No set lanes or choke points, plenty of room to manoeuvre and deceptive cover that really puts your skills to the test.

As if literal umbrellas creates lane, creates choke points, removes so much room, and prevents deceptive cover.

#73 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:34 PM

you know what else brings diversity to the game?

not playing polar every damn game

dump the voting system and give us random maps plz thx

#74 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:42 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 15 November 2017 - 05:34 PM, said:

As if literal umbrellas creates lane, creates choke points, removes so much room, and prevents deceptive cover.

Lol I thought you said "good day" to me?

No, umbrellas wouldn't create lanes and choke points or limit room to manoeuvre but adding hard LRM cover does remove an element of skill. If your LRM umbrellas didn't make it easier for you to counter LRMs then why add them?

#75 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

View PostKhobai, on 15 November 2017 - 05:34 PM, said:

I agree About the voting system. I was against it when it was proposed.

I get sick of fighting on the same few maps over and over. I'd love to less of the popular maps like HPG, Plexus, Crimson and more of the less popular maps like Terra, Forest.

#76 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:52 PM

View PostRoadbuster, on 14 November 2017 - 06:09 AM, said:

Or...

wait for it....

People could stop cowering behind a hill, until one enemy gets to the flank, has LoS and Lurmageddon starts.

You mean press W?

You are crazy.

#77 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:53 PM

View PostKhobai, on 15 November 2017 - 05:34 PM, said:

I agree that the map voting could be removed from the game. However, I end up playing on, HPG, Frozen City, Crimson Straits, Mining Colony and Tourmaline Desert a heck of a lot more often than I see Polar Highlands.

#78 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:00 PM

View PostSeventhSL, on 15 November 2017 - 05:42 PM, said:

No, umbrellas wouldn't create lanes and choke points or limit room to manoeuvre but adding hard LRM cover does remove an element of skill. If your LRM umbrellas didn't make it easier for you to counter LRMs then why add them?

Oh, so that's how it is?

If it doesn't create lanes or chokepoints, why even mention them? As if that what i was intending. If it's not supposed to counter LRMs -- which the idea intends to -- it could still be added as an aesthetic choice. And if it's not even supposed to counter LRMs, why all the concern? So what if it's added or not if so? The element of skill would still be there.

Other weapons are also applicable on PH, lasers, acs, SRMs if you could get close. Why you would just think of LRMs where no-chokepoint, no-lanes matter is beyond me.

#79 John McHobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:22 PM

The fact that basically every thread about Polar HIghlands is always at the brink of becoming a debate about a certain weapon system... that should make you think.

#80 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:24 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 15 November 2017 - 06:00 PM, said:

Oh, so that's how it is?

If it doesn't create lanes or chokepoints, why even mention them? As if that what i was intending. If it's not supposed to counter LRMs -- which the idea intends to -- it could still be added as an aesthetic choice. And if it's not even supposed to counter LRMs, why all the concern? So what if it's added or not if so? The element of skill would still be there.

Other weapons are also applicable on PH, lasers, acs, SRMs if you could get close. Why you would just think of LRMs where no-chokepoint, no-lanes matter is beyond me.

Your reading a lot into it that simply isn't there. Let me simplify for you.

1. Adding hard cover to Polar reduces diversity as all other maps provide hard cover.

2. I like diversity.

3. Adding hard cover removes one of the unique challenges the map provides.

4. I like to face different challenges.

Edited by SeventhSL, 15 November 2017 - 06:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users