So, Why Do New Players Quit?

467 replies to this topic

#421 Nodwick81

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:25 AM

View PostKhobai, on 02 September 2018 - 09:17 PM, said:

Then why are quickplay players playing CW? Obviously because they dont want to do just quickplay... CW should be equally available to everyone.

Many players do it because of events, even though they would normally not play CW.

Like Horseman wrote (quote).

View PostHorseman, on 04 September 2018 - 09:24 PM, said:

Realistically, if you grind events it can be done without much difficulty.

#422 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:35 AM

The proof's as they say in the pudding - starting a clan alt yesterday (no FP loot bags) and taking advantage of the cadet bonus, current event and ongoing sale, my Clan alt owns a Mad Cat Mk II B (fully kitted out in my fave MCII-B/KDK-3 build, no skills at that point), a Huntsman, and a Linebacker. Some stock weapons and the MCII-B's stock engine had to be sold to get there, obviously.

Add the trial ACH or HBKIIC, and that's enough for a drop deck and a starting point to farm for a Hellbringer and then an owned ACH.

Edited by Horseman, 09 September 2018 - 09:41 AM.

#423 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 09 September 2018 - 04:45 AM

when im seeing with what for configs Players come to FP ...many lights with SRMs only , Orions with TAG and a Mix Ac10 and Srms and small laser ...with brawl configs you can not build firelines ..thats good to play Damagedealer in QP..no MWO not funny to play further...a Mate say Regroup ...nothing reactions all run individual to brawlfights..all under drugs?

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 09 September 2018 - 04:46 AM.

#424 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 September 2018 - 05:16 AM

Sounds like stock loadouts to me. Or people who do not understand how to build mechs.

#425 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 09 September 2018 - 06:12 AM

Posted Image

When I see the events and the rewards, I come to the conclusion that the already long be generated automatically ... no matter standard generic price 1000 Cbill ... and items, and the duration and Gamemode will probably be diced, otherwise if not PGI should firing competent types better or to get the coffee tea abkommandieren ... who gets for such a performance ann such a price ... that's ridiculous

and with Players thats to stupid to going in circles by Conquest the Game is to a absolute less Niveau

Posted Image

here the blues standing around the cap and for 40 seconds not one move in ..im must go to the cap with my whammy to hold thethird cappoint and we loose

Posted Image

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 09 September 2018 - 08:43 AM.

#426 Antoninus Pius

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 08:49 AM

@ Ranger 5 Million C-Bills are not enough?

Sorry for the german writing here.

Ranger was war los mit dir als du das geschrieben hast?

#427 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:15 AM

View PostAntoninus Pius, on 09 September 2018 - 08:49 AM, said:

@ Ranger 5 Million C-Bills are not enough?

Sorry for the german writing here.

Ranger was war los mit dir als du das geschrieben hast?

have not make 5 Mio Posted Image to many Real life and the 15 Matches in QP yesterday most looses and a Pain with the most Members ...like the Example above ...loose while no Guy go Capping...HPG the enemy in Base and Camping ..we loose while the Mates not build firelines and run like Idiots and Lemmings in the Entrys and blocks all Supportfire

im won yesterday around 1.7 Mio in the Time thats im play
and why not 1 Mio Cbill for a 500! Matchscore??? no only 10000 like for a 50 matchscore ...thats is a Shame

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 10 September 2018 - 02:21 AM.

#428 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:57 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 26 January 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

The realization that you're gonna have to spend some money on it to get more mech bays probably doesn't help. You're not gonna get very far with only 4 mech bays. And you cannot just buy one for a dollar, you need to buy $7 worth of MC to get a few. Then you start looking at MC prices for things, and quickly come to the realization that they want like $20.00 per battlemech! That seems crazy high, so eventually you just decide to hell with it and go back to PUBG or whatever other thing you're playing.

If this was really the case,Then world of tanks would never have been the success it is, as P.G.I use exactly the same format.

The match maker, is by far more likely, as much as skilled players hate playing with 'potatoes'

New starts will not stay if they're ending up in matches, with people far more skilled than they are.

Group play is another big issue this game has.

The people that really want to play this game have tried it and stayed, left, or maybe play a few games a month, because they can't completely let go.

The new folks by and large, are Friends of people that play, or the ones and twos that come across it in steam, that say that looks O.K lets give it a whirl.

The friends that try it out, leave because they want to play with the person that convinced them to try it, they find themselves being fodder for long time organised groups in G.P get sick of it, and the nasty comments by people pointing fingers, and leave.

The ones and two's arrive in far to small numbers as there will always be high attrition, unless it really grabs them in the first few hours.

This game never gets any official publicity, MW5 got a little, but now there is zero other than a few streamers, most likely watched by people that still play the game. Many really do their best, to promote the game, but some of them have always had a negative effect by being openly critical, and mocking, people with lesser skill, and while this won't make people leave, it will put them off even trying the game.

Another reason I think is the heat mechanic, no other game I know of, where you can blow yourself up, by being ham handed, or leaving yourself unable to defend yourself.

Be I think the most glaring is at P.G.I's door by not promoting the game effectively.

#429 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:43 AM

C

Another reason I think is the heat mechanic, no other game I know of, where you can blow yourself up, by being ham handed, or leaving yourself unable to defend yourself.
yes ..and not other Game have most more as 2 Weapons for a Usermodel ,or very different ranges and Mechanics..Its BT/MW ...not CoD or War Thunder

other side ...what
Chris Lowrey say in

https://mwomercs.com...ts-and-roadmap/

While we know that Heavy and Assault 'Mechs are often among the most beloved and favorite 'Mechs within the BattleTech community, this favoritism is not one that we on the balance team can feed into when it comes to balancing the 'Mechs against one another within the context of a PvP first person shooter.

let seeing thats PGI nothing understand from battletech/mechwarrior or his own Game...please balance Humvees against M1 Abrams (here carrys humvees the maingun of a Abrams) ...the mobility from Heavys and Assault to high thats blast Lights away ? only Lights thats stand still in the biome or run frontal of the target ...PGI bring MWO down to Mary Sue playing and try to balancing bad and stupid Gamestyles

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 10 September 2018 - 09:37 PM.

#430 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:52 PM

View PostC E Dwyer, on 10 September 2018 - 02:57 AM, said:

If this was really the case,Then world of tanks would never have been the success it is, as P.G.I use exactly the same format.

That is that game that advertises right?

#431 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:08 AM

and with all this Mechanics ..ghostheat ...buffs ...nerfs...Quirks...skilltree...Weaponmechanics and ranges (minimal/Optimal/maximal) its the most overconstructed MW form all time ...overcomplicated for new Players

#432 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:47 PM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 11 September 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

and with all this Mechanics ..ghostheat ...buffs ...nerfs...Quirks...skilltree...Weaponmechanics and ranges (minimal/Optimal/maximal) its the most overconstructed MW form all time ...overcomplicated for new Players

you talking about FP or MWO in total

#433 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:11 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 11 September 2018 - 12:47 PM, said:

you talking about FP or MWO in total

MWO in total Posted Image which multiplies in the FP then by other game mechanics and game goals, where own builds and tactics (if they are even present) are then no longer functional..the most news thinking its the same like QP with respawn ..ok thats of the QP maps , the FP Maps very other Gameplace

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 12 September 2018 - 02:21 AM.

#434 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:57 AM

I see
something I been wondering about
(getting back to why new players quit)

from the Jarls leader board page
a chart about active and retired players

Posted Image

the players with lower match scores leave/retire at about the 200 avg match score you have more players that have left the game then ones playing

not sure what it all means but its been stuck in my head since I saw this page

#435 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:14 PM

Problem ...here you can as new buy the biggest Assault ,and many News thinking Big Armor +Big Weapons =Battleship and dying in focus fire and LRM by Leroy Jenkins Actiions and quit ...when a Big assault so fast die ,which mech can hold more?

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 12 September 2018 - 12:15 PM.

#436 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 12 September 2018 - 02:24 PM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 12 September 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

Problem ...here you can as new buy the biggest Assault ,and many News thinking Big Armor +Big Weapons =Battleship and dying in focus fire and LRM by Leroy Jenkins Actiions and quit ...when a Big assault so fast die ,which mech can hold more?

so you think that new player having the ability to buy big Mechs is the problem??

well it does have a > 500
so that means all those players played more then 500 matches

not sure about other people but I used the trial Mechs
and I tried an Atlas that thing was a big target so I moved on and tried other Mechs

I ended up liking the BlackJack the most but it was a little soft
so I bought a Jager since it looked like a BJ had high mounts and Ballistics and it
had more armor I figured I would last longer in that heavy Mech

I wonder if buying the wrong Mech is at the core of the problem

#437 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:30 PM

When I started playing here january 2016, I also made the observation, just in Tier 5...that there should be some sort of restriction to prevent new players buying and playing in assaults, and that's when the game had 100k active players with 6-8k online at any given moment during NA primetime. Now...maybe 2-3k... and there are still lots of folks in T1-3 who really shouldn't be using assaults.

NOT to mention the fact that most of the champion mechs, used for free trials... were designed around quirks and meta and weapon stats AT THAT TIME they became champions, and with PGI's never ending balance changes... and shifting meta....what might have been good as a trial mech 2 years ago...isn't anymore.

The existing trial options... clan side first...

Warhawk with 2xLPL, 3xERML, 1xGR... i'm pretty sure when it became the champion, the gauss didn't have the charge mechanic, LPLs had a 1200m max range and more damage, and the ERML had less heat and more range. Oh and a TC1 which was put in at a time the TC1 offered meaningful increases to crit chances.
Dire Wolf well...basically the warhawk build with a second gauss rifle... so same as above applies but now it has some positive armor quirks on the torso it didn't have at the time. Timberwolf... repeating the 2xLPL / 3xERML loadout with a TC1 so same stuff as above or the other heavy option the Ebon Jaguar...wow imagine that...gauss and large pulse and er medium with a tc1.... NEXT...Shadow cat with large pulses or a hunchie 2c with twin UAC/10s for medium options. Thing is, the ecm doesn't work as well without skill nodes, and the UAC/10s used to jam less and generated less heat before. Light options are the cheetah with 6 ER smalls and this is ONE they did retcon the build of, after they nerfed the small pulse laser pre-tech update. It was originally six small pulses and fewer heatsinks. The Myst Lynx is still the same dull four small pulse lasers... except now it does 50% less damage.

On the IS side...we have a victor that's now quirked to ballistic & missiles... equipped with a pair of large pulses and an AC20... gee...maybe it should be ret-conned also with a pair of RAC/2s instead and some MRM launchers. The banshee is triple large pulse and quad mediums... how about update that to ER mediums and fit a light fusion engine. The thunderbolt 9SE lost most of its energy/large pulse specific quirks so is neutered now, The Jager is twin gauss and again like the clan mechs...that charge mechanic trips up a lot of new players. For mediums there's a twin AC/5 and single large pulse shadow hawk or a Trebuchet with BAP, TAG, twin medium lasers and twin LRM15s who's quirks at least still favour that build. Oh and the lights are a spider who's lost some energy cooldown/duration quirkage for its single energy hardpoint, and a sniper raven that's less effective since there;'s no skill nodes on the ecm and its got zero quirks for energy weapons. It would really do well to ret-con it to a narc light, so new players could learn the skill properly.

Basically, all the trials emphasize damage dealing... not skill teaching... and this is what drives away a lot of new players. Games like overwatch and world of tanks and so forth...put more effort into breaking down different play styles/skill sets of players and giving them options to jump into the game that favours their own personal tastes. This game... you have to be a damage dealer and that's it, and that also turns of a LOT of people.

Edited by Dee Eight, 12 September 2018 - 03:52 PM.

#438 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:19 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 12 September 2018 - 02:24 PM, said:

so you think that new player having the ability to buy big Mechs is the problem??

well it does have a > 500
so that means all those players played more then 500 matches

not sure about other people but I used the trial Mechs
and I tried an Atlas that thing was a big target so I moved on and tried other Mechs

I ended up liking the BlackJack the most but it was a little soft
so I bought a Jager since it looked like a BJ had high mounts and Ballistics and it
had more armor I figured I would last longer in that heavy Mech

I wonder if buying the wrong Mech is at the core of the problem

im seeing it each Match ...the Assaults most sub 200 or sub 100 dmg , and dying most as first part...most Assaults plays as Backstander as Lightfooder ,oh yes im Have 2 PPCs and 6 Med Laser and stand 1000 m away from team and use only the PPCs or as LRM Boat thats waiting of Locks or Play as Leroy jenkins or died while the Team play NASCAR ...

Ok . never use or try Trial Mechs ..other side im not new in MW Universe

in War Thunder im have only a Light Tank to begin ..other Chassies or a B25 come with the Experience in the Vehicle Tree

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 12 September 2018 - 08:21 PM.

#439 Hanky Spam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:02 PM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 12 September 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

No armor-hog mech will safe you from a sure death if you are unable to develope a situational map & fight awareness (which also implies a chunk of git gud).

Also battletech lore actually doesn't exist in MWO, so whatever you may refer to, forget about it since it is not possible to achieve in this game - well at least not in its current reincarnation. MWLL is probably closer to what you are looking for than MWO will ever be...

#440 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:50 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 12 September 2018 - 08:57 AM, said:

the players with lower match scores leave/retire at about the 200 avg match score you have more players that have left the game then ones playing
not sure what it all means but its been stuck in my head since I saw this page
It means that a chunk of players leaves before they make it past the early learning curve.

View PostDee Eight, on 12 September 2018 - 03:30 PM, said:

NOT to mention the fact that most of the champion mechs, used for free trials... were designed around quirks and meta and weapon stats AT THAT TIME they became champions, and with PGI's never ending balance changes... and shifting meta....what might have been good as a trial mech 2 years ago...isn't anymore.
Correct. Most - if not all - of the trials need to be retired and replaced with builds that are up to date with the current build metas.

View PostDavegt27, on 12 September 2018 - 02:24 PM, said:

so you think that new player having the ability to buy big Mechs is the problem?? (...) I figured I would last longer in that heavy Mech I wonder if buying the wrong Mech is at the core of the problem

View PostHanky Spam, on 12 September 2018 - 11:02 PM, said:

No armor-hog mech will safe you from a sure death if you are unable to develope a situational map & fight awareness (which also implies a chunk of git gud).
What Ranger is pointing out is that it's not uncommon for newbie players to spend their cadet bonus on the heaviest, meanest-looking assault they see in store, expect it to be invulnerable and happily leeroy into the enemy lines, split off from their team or fail to maintain tactical awareness only to discover that they die quickly because their size and speed make them an easy target.
On such case: https://steamcommuni...20717346348784/

Edited by Horseman, 13 September 2018 - 01:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users