718 replies to this topic

#1 The GaussFather

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUnWorthy Bazterdz - join unit "-UW-"

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:02 AM

So you are in your assault mech... and suddenly you hear a million (?) machine gun rounds hitting your back, you turn to shoot the attacker and can't see it because its hugging your leg because of PGIs flawed view from the cockpit and/or scaling.

So you move, and the Piranha or similar light (though Piranha is SO much more lethal for its size) moves up again so you can't see it and being faster it can almost always win.

Piranhas exploit a bad game design and in the few matches I was playing last night they had the majority of the kills. They are like a little buzz saw and aptly named.

Between the leg hugging, lag, and bad hit reg we are experiencing its damn hard to shoot them if they are moving even with lasers. Its like they have 3x the armor for their weight class.

On the hit reg... several times I'm shooting with Gauss rifles and they PASS THROUGH THE TARGET without a hit! No red reticle... OMG how can hit reg be getting worse as the game evolves??

So I'm thinking the QP game is not fun anymore unless you are light pilot... I gave up on FP a long time ago... couldn't stand waiting so long for a match and then get stomped by competitive teams of meta builds.

I know many people will say I'm whining but I basically grew up on MW games -- played all of them included Crescent Hawks Revenge on my Apple IIc.

I'm cool with a good light pilot being able to take down an Atlas -- but not by using all the exploits that this game is turned into where lights with machine guns are now the killer meta. Its killed the fun of piloting a "mighty robot" into battle with 30th Century "futuristic weapons" when you have to fear the 20 ton killing machines with weapons from the 20th century!

1 on 1 you might have a chance if they don't leg hug and backstab, if its 2 lights on 1 assault forget it. Game over.

Anyone else tired of the rinse and repeat Piranha attacks going on in QP? Or am I just a grumpy old guy who likes a fair game and enjoys piloting big robots with futuristic weapons?

Edited by The GaussFather, 28 February 2018 - 09:05 AM.

#2 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:12 AM

Light mech starts shooting your back -> stick your butt against a rock or solid piece of geometry -> watch as the light can't shoot your back anymore. The only thing you'll have to worry about at that point is the nascar brigade.

#3 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:17 AM

Here is a random thought, put more than 2 points of armour on your back....

#4 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:21 AM

In terms of hitreg/lagshield/hitboxes the piranha is no worse than say a commando (actually imo commando is worse). But the dps these little things put out right now is kind of dumb

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:22 AM

"Hugging" should cause scaling damage to both mechs. An Assault would have less damage done to it while the light has the damage done to it scaled up. That would alleviate most hugging attacks. Then even lights would need to be more cautious of their heavier team mates.

Lights should be utilizing hit/run tactics, not have the ability to face tank an assault. If MWO had implemented actual physical attacks such as punching and kicking, then things would become interesting...

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 28 February 2018 - 09:23 AM.

#6 ZaRyume Mukeiyu

• PipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:23 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 28 February 2018 - 09:17 AM, said:

Here is a random thought, put more than 2 points of armour on your back....

Even if it was up to 8 points of armor across the board, those points get stripped by the tunnel-visioned teammates behind you anyway. Even when you have not moved an inch from that corner. :/

#7 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:26 AM

View PostThe GaussFather, on 28 February 2018 - 09:02 AM, said:

Anyone else tired of the rinse and repeat Piranha attacks going on in QP? Or am I just a grumpy old guy who likes a fair game and enjoys piloting big robots with futuristic weapons?

just a grumpy old guy.

#8 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:40 AM

Had a Piranha hug my crotch in a quad Gauss KDK-3 once. It was awful.

#9 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:46 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 28 February 2018 - 09:40 AM, said:

Had a Piranha hug my crotch in a quad Gauss KDK-3 once. It was awful.

I think they make a cream for that....Posted Image

#10 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:50 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 28 February 2018 - 09:46 AM, said:

I think they make a cream for that....Posted Image

Hopefully.

I was pretty annoyed. I saw the Piranha going for the flank as he blipped on my radar, so I thought, I'll back pedal for a little bit so he doesn't crit my gauss instantly...

Unfortunately, I got in the tunnel, and then he came around the corner and just bum rushed me. Had I been a little quicker on the draw I might have been able to tag him with dual gauss, but for shame, I didn't get him, and my team was too far away to do anything because I had back pedaled for too long. Chalked that one up to a fail and moved on to next game.

I will say that in a brawl vs other lights Piranhas seem to burn through legs incredibly fast, but I'm also not a pro-elite light pilot so...

#11 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:54 AM

Welcome to QP, where your teammates don't give a **** about their whales being nibbled to death by lights, ignoring one's cries of help as one's pathetic pitch range on their assault mech renders the light effectively invulnerable 1v1, while nascaring the **** away to avoid a similar fate.

#12 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:55 AM

The trick to taking down Piranhas is to basically never be alone, and if you're having trouble getting help when attacked, don't pout- walk in front of a teammate so they can see what's happening.

Those two simple tricks will save you 90% of the time.

If you're in an Annihilator and having issues, well, guess what buttercup, that's the price you pay for being too fat and too slow in QP. That's not the Piranha's fault.

Edited by Bombast, 28 February 2018 - 09:56 AM.

#13 JP Josh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • Locationsteam- jp josh

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:04 AM

a light small mech is the worse nightmare fuel for a alone assult? you dont say!!

be glad i dont have my flea which could stand inbtween your legs :P

#14 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:04 AM

View PostThe GaussFather, on 28 February 2018 - 09:02 AM, said:

On the hit reg... several times I'm shooting with Gauss rifles and they PASS THROUGH THE TARGET without a hit! No red reticle... OMG how can hit reg be getting worse as the game evolves??

So I'm thinking the QP game is not fun anymore unless you are light pilot... I gave up on FP a long time ago... couldn't stand waiting so long for a match and then get stomped by competitive teams of meta builds.

I know many people will say I'm whining but I basically grew up on MW games -- played all of them included Crescent Hawks Revenge on my Apple IIc.

I'm cool with a good light pilot being able to take down an Atlas -- but not by using all the exploits that this game is turned into where lights with machine guns are now the killer meta. Its killed the fun of piloting a "mighty robot" into battle with 30th Century "futuristic weapons" when you have to fear the 20 ton killing machines with weapons from the 20th century!

1 on 1 you might have a chance if they don't leg hug and backstab, if its 2 lights on 1 assault forget it. Game over.

No, you are experiencing compounding errors in an out dated game play engine that has a bunch of crap weapons, hit box, scale and precision metrics... It is going to only get worse with every nerf, buff, quirk or scaling change made.....

Like you, many of us grew up in this niche and loved it.... MWO was suppose to be the crown jewel of MW and just before initial release, troubling reports started being written about where PGI was going.... Ask the veterans, what they were promised never was delivered and here we are, years later with a mess....

A lot of people have left and many hundreds more just drop in a hour or two a week for nostalgia reasons...... I'm one of those players.... There's nothing left to hold me, the teams I am and was on are gone and playing other games; nor, is there any compelling reason to have a scintilla of hope for the near future.

Be well and if you get to the point of just not wanting to play, don't close your account because at some point the game must change or fold.

#15 Dark Wooki33 IIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 379 posts
  • LocationBlessed Saxony

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:07 AM

What a nonsense. Someone who calls himself the gaussfather has problems with piranhas.
Learn to aim and give them a sub 100 damage match!

#16 BARegulator

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:21 AM

I'm sympathetic to a point here and when I hear an assault call for help I will generally rush my Piranha or other faster mech to help. There is one exception to this, if I notice that said assault sits at the DZ for the first minute of the match before moving and gets way behind the team, at that point the screams fall upon deaf ears.

#17 Lt Blackthorn

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:28 AM

One thing I have found incredibly effective at killing Piranhas is not panicking like a spaz and then pointing and clicking: guns go boom/zorch, fish goes pop, ez clap.

#18 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:28 AM

I've been playing my assaults a lot recently and I have to say I have not had such issues with enemy Piranhas. I mean sure, they get me one on one, I'm in a lot of trouble. But thing is, unless my team is already dead, I'm never alone. There's always a teammate nearby that is perfectly willing to shoot the little anklebiter enough to make it bug off our just outright kill it. If you're getting brought down by Piranhas from fresh to dead in an assault then I'm sorry to say that the only reasonable explanation is that you are out of position when you ought to be in a position where your team can offer cover fire.

#19 Diablobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:29 AM

If you can't get your butt up against a wall or some cover, you're doing it wrong.

#20 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:41 AM

While I agree the pirs can be annoying they are still only number two on the top three best of all lights scale. Achs rules them all followed by the urbie's heavy armor once you stack survival and quirks followed by the lct pb. The pir is still just a light and a 20 tonne one so that means it has very limited ammo and even less armor. 16 leg armor before survival armor. Just leg it like the rest of the lights.

You know what would make the unseen lights like the spider 5v, jenners both is and clan and jvn,osrs come into use more? Not making them big as a dam AC 20 or having all the weapons mounted into the gorilla arms the same size as the CT.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users