Mechwarrior 5 Release Date & Epic Games Store Exclusivity

1380 replies to this topic

#1181 CMDR Vendetta

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:59 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 25 July 2019 - 08:02 AM, said:

Our partnership with Epic Games store allows us the opportunity to make sure MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries meets our internal goal of creating the best MechWarrior game possible.

Why do you need to lie?

You just could have said "the revenue share of 12% to the 30% of steam is needed to sustain longtime support for mw5 and mwo. Everybody would understand it, but lying is just disrespectful.

We dont care as much about money, we are mwo players, we already paid waaaay to high prices for Online Battlemechs and still play your old *** client with terrible performance and live support on lifesupport and the horrible decision to split the Playerbase into little pieces.

I saw the APIs, steam offers you so much more, while Epic struggles to implement basic features.
But well, you push everything behind to get to epic.

Luckily i didnt preorder, waiting a year more to get it on steam is really sad but iam not willing to install Tencent Spyware.

Well, no good games this winter :<
At least Cyberpunk comes in April

Living Legends is back as well :D

Edited by CMDR Vendetta, 05 August 2019 - 12:10 AM.

#1182 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:00 AM

View Postcrazytimes, on 04 August 2019 - 10:53 PM, said:

So... now that there is a mech in fortnite, allow me to postulate a hypothesis.

The deal with Epic was done months ago at the latest, likely before preorders even opened. The mech in fortnite S10, which as has been pointed out elsewhere, looks remarkably like some of the BT art, was always planned as a tie in. It introduces mechs to a crowd almost none of whom were born when MW1-4 or even Mechassault 1-2 were released.

Funny part at the moment- all the hardcore fortnite streamers *hate* the mech. In particular... wait for it... they hate the LRMs it launches. I giggled when I saw that.

Fortnite enthusiast with a few cents.

Well technically there was a Jager vs Kaiju event at the end of last fortnite season whose overall theme was a futuristic utopia ripping off ideas from power rangers , voltron , gundam and robotech .
That probably got the ball rolling for the mech vehicle in this season .

I dont see how it would tie into the MW5 considering this mech is a bit OP and those get quickly vaulted instead of nerfed .
They love changing and swopping everything including vehicles . This seasons theme is time twisting and sounds like there is going to be 10 times more changing and swopping out weapons , vehicles and maps to emphasize the time/space instability .

So i dont expect the Fortnite mech to be there by the October season . Its possible they might bring it back for December season to get some hype for MW5 .

Fortnite is their biggest cash cow not the new mw5 game . I very much doubt Epic wants people to stop playing fortnite in favour of mw5 .

They were selling very nice , very cheap mech pilot outfits in the store a few days back . Thats probably the main reason for adding in a Mech vehicle into Fortnite . At the end of the day its all about selling skins and cosmetics .

Edited by Pain G0D, 05 August 2019 - 12:09 AM.

#1183 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:36 AM

The biggest concern is, as pointed out by many, dishonesty. If PGI honestly tell people they need the big money from EGS to complete the game (in its best shape possible), many people (including me) will accept the change if PGI promise some remedy for backers (such as free steam key after 1 year exclusive period lapse), sadly PGI choose to conceal all the information as much as they can, lack of faithfulness is the worst thing IMHO (which is why i cancelled the pre-order).

#1184 SpectreHD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 05:47 AM

Does the EGS allow the use of both PS4 and Xbox controllers? I know Steam does as it fully supports the PS4 controller. What other client allows this? None that I can't think of whatsoever.

That's one thing I have not seen mentioned so far as why the Steam client is just outright better.

#1185 ZortPointNarf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts
  • LocationIsle of Man

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:14 AM

View PostSpectreHD, on 05 August 2019 - 05:47 AM, said:

Does the EGS allow the use of both PS4 and Xbox controllers? I know Steam does as it fully supports the PS4 controller. What other client allows this? None that I can't think of whatsoever.

That's one thing I have not seen mentioned so far as why the Steam client is just outright better.

Achievements for me, and that I have over 2k games on it, is the same reason I don't switch to Apple from droid, I am too heavily invested in the platform to want to switch.
PGI's behaviour knowing full well they are not sticking to steam and not letting us know is my main motivator for refunding with the lack of achievements being a very strong motivator to start off with.

#1186 Eurystheus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:55 AM

View PostCajun MeTaBoLiC, on 03 August 2019 - 11:44 PM, said:

I don't know why people are making such a big deal out of this. "It's another launcher I have to install!" Epic Games Launcher installs in like a minute and uses about 62 MB of RAM. You don't even have to let it start when Windows boots. Just add the game to Steam as a non-steam game. It kind of seems like a non-issue to me.

I only play Call of Duty MW3 and MWO. I asked my son, who plays a lot more games and is much more familiar with the various launchers than I am about this controversy. He shrugged his shoulders and said the gaming community has a lot of entitled whiners. That's the best explanation I've heard so far to explain all the vitriol over this.

#1187 JUGMAN

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:56 AM

I was pleased to see that my request for a refund was completed within 4 days. I am thinking that the refunds are draining the coffers at PGI. OF course they would not admit that it was hurting. Makes you wonder if there will be an increase in resignations later in the year.

I dont really care that EPIC has an exclusive. It was that PGI delivered a steam key when they knew Steam would not be in the loop. It was a out and out lie.

#1188 JUGMAN

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:03 AM

View PostOld Mechdonald, on 02 August 2019 - 03:36 PM, said:

I love the game. I am in for the long haul. I will buy the game. I play fortnite and have had no problems. I don't get it

Its not about problems in the game. PGI has lied to the community. Most of the player base is pretty old and they believe in honesty over business. Not speaking for everyone but being lied to is a big deal

#1189 Agent of Change

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:13 AM

View PostJUGMAN, on 05 August 2019 - 07:03 AM, said:

Its not about problems in the game. PGI has lied to the community. Most of the player base is pretty old and they believe in honesty over business. Not speaking for everyone but being lied to is a big deal

Or at least it should be.

#1190 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:58 AM

View PostEurystheus, on 05 August 2019 - 06:55 AM, said:

I only play Call of Duty MW3 and MWO. I asked my son, who plays a lot more games and is much more familiar with the various launchers than I am about this controversy. He shrugged his shoulders and said the gaming community has a lot of entitled whiners. That's the best explanation I've heard so far to explain all the vitriol over this.
Sorry, mate, but in that case your son has no idea what he's talking about.

The main issue here is the bait and switch that was pulled on us after we were assured multiple times that the game would be on Steam and delivered as a Steam key.

Thing is, it came to light that we have been outright lied to - PGI signed the Epic exclusivity deal while the preorders were still up for sale and kept it going even after it rendered itself unable to fulfill the preorders on the terms it promised.

So yes, people are bitter about being lied to multiple times. If you wouldn't be then you deserve getting ripped off on every purchase you make for the remainder of your life.

That Epic's platform is **** is just a ****-colored "cherry" on top of the original issue - because I've got to hand it to them, that as unpopular as Origin and Uplay have been Epic makes them look like paragons of competence and virtue in comparison.

1. Epic launched their platform some two years before they were actually ready. Better part of a year after launch, it's still charitable to call it an open alpha, EXCEPT IT'S FULLY COMMERCIAL AND WANTS YOU TO GIVE IT YOUR MONEY.

2. Epic failed at security. They launched without 2FA and didn't have e-mail verification until last week. Yes, that means you could lose all your purchases if you made a typo creating your account. And people did.

3. They don't have a cart. And they started banning customers because the customers made several purchases one after another. During a sale.

4. They have sent customers' personal information to other customers.

5. Epic's client datamines your system. (see this)

6. EGS features, library and user base are not competitive with Steam, so Epic's genius executives decided that since they're sitting on a giant mountain of Fortnite cash, they can fake competitiveness with platform exclusives and force customers to come to them by getting developers to jump platforms after they've already taken a shitload of preorders (or, in some cases, Kickstarter pledges). Most of the PC gaming crowd are not fans of hostageware, much less of bait-and-switch tactics. This bait and switch riles people up and as a result Epic's poorly designed shitshow of a platform is pretty much considered radioactive by the bulk of the PC gaming community.

Let it sink in for a moment and then ask yourself if any sane person right now would touch a platform with that history.

Yeah, yeah, "give them time"... I've heard that spiel. Epic isn't travelling back in time to compete with Steam of 2003, they're here NOW to compete with Steam of 2019, after fifteen years of watching Steam take upon itself the live market testing to determine what does and what doesn't work in their hybrid digital distribution platform / social network. Epic is coming to this with a budget and market position much better than what Steam had in 2003 too.
And yet, EGS launched in a state that was about a year away from being a minimally viable beta and is already falling behind development schedule. There is no excuse for this {LT-MOB-25}-up.

This is even without going into the views of their CEO, who apparently thinks that PC market is too open and should be walled up...

Edited by Horseman, 05 August 2019 - 08:58 AM.

#1191 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:30 AM

View PostHorseman, on 04 August 2019 - 10:12 PM, said:

I've got a better one now: you were buying a car that's street-legal in the US. You instead got a variation of that model that's only street-legal in Bahrain and cannot be rebuilt to meet US standards.

There's actually an incredibly accurate and pertinent way to describe this, prove the bait and switch, and it STILL being the same game title. People just need to be made aware that the platform matters just as much to defining the product as the game itself. Take this situation for example:

You preorder a game for the XBOne and instead receive the same title for the PS4. You ordered a XBOne product and call to get the product you ordered. You're told that the developers decided to launch as a PS4 exclusive, so you got a PS4 version of the game. That is bait and switch. The platform of the product is just as much a part of the product as the game itself.

Therefore, PGI selling preorders of Steam Keys, and thereby a Steam Product, then saying that the game will be Epic exclusive makes the product you will be receiving not on the Steam platform and thusly an entirely different product. Otherwise people would just have to order games and hope that the seller decides to give you the game for the platform you actually want. The same game on different platforms (Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo, Steam, Epic, GOG, etc.) are still different products.

If the platform wasn't part of the product, then you'd be able to use an XBOne disc in a PS4, or a Switch, or on your PC, or wherever you want. That's not the case. The platform is part of the product, and when PGI switched platforms and went for an exclusivity deal they committed bait-and-switch fraud. Hopefully the are properly investigated and answer for the crime they've committed, in both the US and Canada, as well as anywhere else it's applicable. Game companies, especially Epic, need to answer for these criminal business practices.

#1192 Eurystheus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:55 AM

View PostHorseman, on 05 August 2019 - 08:58 AM, said:

Sorry, mate, but in that case your son has no idea what he's talking about.

The main issue here is the bait and switch that was pulled on us after we were assured multiple times that the game would be on Steam and delivered as a Steam key.

Thing is, it came to light that we have been outright lied to - PGI signed the Epic exclusivity deal while the preorders were still up for sale and kept it going even after it rendered itself unable to fulfill the preorders on the terms it promised.

So yes, people are bitter about being lied to multiple times. If you wouldn't be then you deserve getting ripped off on every purchase you make for the remainder of your life.

That Epic's platform is **** is just a ****-colored "cherry" on top of the original issue - because I've got to hand it to them, that as unpopular as Origin and Uplay have been Epic makes them look like paragons of competence and virtue in comparison.

1. Epic launched their platform some two years before they were actually ready. Better part of a year after launch, it's still charitable to call it an open alpha, EXCEPT IT'S FULLY COMMERCIAL AND WANTS YOU TO GIVE IT YOUR MONEY.

2. Epic failed at security. They launched without 2FA and didn't have e-mail verification until last week. Yes, that means you could lose all your purchases if you made a typo creating your account. And people did.

3. They don't have a cart. And they started banning customers because the customers made several purchases one after another. During a sale.

4. They have sent customers' personal information to other customers.

5. Epic's client datamines your system. (see this)

6. EGS features, library and user base are not competitive with Steam, so Epic's genius executives decided that since they're sitting on a giant mountain of Fortnite cash, they can fake competitiveness with platform exclusives and force customers to come to them by getting developers to jump platforms after they've already taken a shitload of preorders (or, in some cases, Kickstarter pledges). Most of the PC gaming crowd are not fans of hostageware, much less of bait-and-switch tactics. This bait and switch riles people up and as a result Epic's poorly designed shitshow of a platform is pretty much considered radioactive by the bulk of the PC gaming community.

Let it sink in for a moment and then ask yourself if any sane person right now would touch a platform with that history.

Yeah, yeah, "give them time"... I've heard that spiel. Epic isn't travelling back in time to compete with Steam of 2003, they're here NOW to compete with Steam of 2019, after fifteen years of watching Steam take upon itself the live market testing to determine what does and what doesn't work in their hybrid digital distribution platform / social network. Epic is coming to this with a budget and market position much better than what Steam had in 2003 too.
And yet, EGS launched in a state that was about a year away from being a minimally viable beta and is already falling behind development schedule. There is no excuse for this {LT-MOB-25}-up.

This is even without going into the views of their CEO, who apparently thinks that PC market is too open and should be walled up...

I'm not going to play Epic. I'm not going to play Steam. I'm going to play MW5. I don't care who owns the launcher. I bought an MW5 game. I don't care if it comes in a blue (Steam) or red (Epic) box.

Are 250 million registered Fornite players insane?

Honestly, I don't trust any online or social media companies. I learned that lesson from Yahoo and Facebook. I take steps to protect myself, such as (but not limited to) creating one time use credit card numbers, unique email addresses for different accounts. If I get burned, that will be on me. But I'm betting that what will happen is that I'll have a lot of fun playing MW5.

#1193 Zevron

Rookie

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:05 PM

View PostEurystheus, on 05 August 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

Are 250 million registered Fornite players insane?

Yes.

They play Fortnite.

#1194 Charon DOC Stock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationA partir de 100.000 C-Bills.

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:12 PM

Do you think that Steam can ask some compensation because PGI say they would give steam keys to people who preco?
For me it was really a strong argument to convince me to preco (because with my friends we use steam voice tchat and steam invite system), but Steam won't finally get a penny from this preco campaign.
Can the giant Steam sue the little PGI for this (cause PGI use a big name and their users confidence to attract customers)?

I'm not very fluent in english, sorry.

Edited by Charon DOC Stock, 05 August 2019 - 12:46 PM.

#1195 Paul CC

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:45 PM

Refund requested. If people dont understand intentional lying and using false information to lure people in to preorder a product they fully intend not to deliver in the promised form is a bad thing I just dont know what to say to that other than it has nothing to do with Epic.

Bad business should not be promoted and I vote with my wallet.

#1196 Charon DOC Stock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationA partir de 100.000 C-Bills.

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:54 PM

Can someone give me a standard message to ask for a refund.
As I said before I'me not very fluent in english expression.

Edited by Charon DOC Stock, 05 August 2019 - 12:55 PM.

#1197 Red Potato Standing By

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 02:23 PM

View PostPaul CC, on 05 August 2019 - 12:45 PM, said:

Refund requested. If people dont understand intentional lying and using false information to lure people in to preorder a product they fully intend not to deliver in the promised form is a bad thing I just dont know what to say to that other than it has nothing to do with Epic.

Bad business should not be promoted and I vote with my wallet.

I don’t recollect seeing any guarantees or promises anywhere on their website when it was announced. Businesses also vote with their wallets which is what they did. Look at it this way people accept job offers all the time then bail if something else comes up before they start. Should they be condemned for lying or commended because they voted with their wallet.

#1198 Eurystheus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 03:41 PM

View PostZevron, on 05 August 2019 - 12:05 PM, said:

Yes.

They play Fortnite.

Best response I've had yet!

#1199 Wiley Coyote

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:10 PM

View PostCharon DOC Stock, on 05 August 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

Can someone give me a standard message to ask for a refund.
As I said before I'me not very fluent in english expression.

My request was simply this:

Hello.  Due to the game moving to the Epic platform, I am requesting a refund.  Thank you.

#1200 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 588 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:28 PM

View PostRed Potato Standing By, on 05 August 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

I don’t recollect seeing any guarantees or promises anywhere on their website when it was announced.

Well, when I preordered, the MW5 site promised a Steamkey. However, I think I remember that multiple launchers were on the table (not sure).

View PostRed Potato Standing By, on 05 August 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

Businesses also vote with their wallets which is what they did. Look at it this way people accept job offers all the time then bail if something else comes up before they start. Should they be condemned for lying or commended because they voted with their wallet.

But...but...but...Chinese spyware! And if that does not count, then: lies, lack of security (and Chinese spyware)!
However, I think SOME guys have the right to complain - the guys who preordered MW5 and knew there was a Steamkey during the last few days of the preorder period. The rest also got the right to refund, which is a nice gesture imho.
Heck, I wish people were up on the fence like this regarding REAL problems.

Edited by latinisator, 05 August 2019 - 09:29 PM.

34 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 34 guests, 0 anonymous users