Potato, This Expression Is Rubbish And Hurts The Game.

149 replies to this topic

#121 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 12:06 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 16 July 2020 - 11:53 AM, said:

Edit: There's also the try-hard approach; find out how someone else does it and copy them.

Why reinvent the wheel they already perfected it.
Saves a lot of time. Saves a lot of hassle/work
Efficient Posted Image

#122 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 12:11 AM

View PostJohnny Slam, on 17 July 2020 - 04:48 AM, said:

lol you are all sooooo 'leet

Yeah! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
But not all use the term potato which is what this thread is about.

amirite?

Stay Cool! Muhahahaha!!!

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 18 July 2020 - 12:11 AM.

#123 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 18 July 2020 - 04:19 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 18 July 2020 - 12:06 AM, said:

Why reinvent the wheel they already perfected it.
Saves a lot of time. Saves a lot of hassle/work
Efficient Posted Image

The wheel has been reinvented numerous times where do you think tank tracks come from: Wheel -> Dreadnaught -> Tracks.
If it hadn't been reinvented we'd have a lot less air travel, imagine a 747 trying to land on wooden rims from 3000BC!

I get the efficiency of the cookie-cutter approach but at some point you need to throw it out the window and experiment.

Posted Image

#124 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 18 July 2020 - 06:13 AM

so you don't like potato comments.

Maybe go play tetris is more acceptable.

or well pick from the many other comments.

yes all, are in breach of reasonable behavior.
Yes Games companies should be handing out conduct warnings left right and center, and most likely banning a large chunk of their player base.

There are, and not just in this one, player names that would give the player a criminal record, if the game was based in certain european countries.

whether it's right or wrong, insults happen in any game whether it's this one, another PvP shooter.

I've whitnessed oblique death threats in a popular browser game set in the game of thrones franchise.

The worse offenders should be punished, but if you punish everyone, soon you have no community at all.

#125 Rock Hog

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 12:49 AM

View PostJohnny Slam, on 30 June 2020 - 10:37 PM, said:

Howdy folks!

Before I get all giddy about the new event and waxing lyrical about my new mechs and working on my new PSR I wanted as a midland pilot who works hard to bring new players and returning players on board to take a second to say:

Enough with the 'Potato' comments and slang

It's not clever, it's not accurate, and it make you look like jackasses thirsty to be seen as 'elite' rather than elite. This goes for you gents who make the great videos every week showing pilots how to improve and play with a team and build decent rigs. When you use the friggen stupid reductive term you undercut all the great work that your videos accomplish for the game.

And before someone throws the 'git gud' or 'nancy boy' comments just know this, no one has called me a potato in years, but i have seen it used again and again, even more of late, and what is really obnoxious is that it is used in a lazy way, without the full intent, yet still does all the same damage to alienate players.

You want to make other pilots feel inferior to you? well if that's your kink do it on the battlefield and leave this term in the rubbish bin where it belongs.

OMG, the snowflakes are in town. This is NOT reality its a game. Man up and fire back! No-one cares about micro aggressions OR your feelings. This is how males "play" lots of flash and banter, if this upsets you then I kindly suggest you steer clear of the internet as you are going to get eaten alive.

#126 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 19 July 2020 - 11:32 AM

View PostRock Hog, on 19 July 2020 - 12:49 AM, said:

This is how males "play"...

Someone's about to be triggered!

#127 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 01:03 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 19 July 2020 - 11:32 AM, said:

Someone's about to be triggered!

I too define my masculinity more by the anonymous people I insult than the creations i build, the change i make in my world, and my ability to move through social spaces with effortless confidence.

crushes beer on forehead

Creating with my bare hands? Manhood is about consuming the correct alcoholic beverage and having the right snippy insult at hand!

REAL MEN™!

#128 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 19 July 2020 - 01:37 PM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 19 July 2020 - 01:03 PM, said:

crushes beer on forehead

I scan-read that as "crushes bees on forehead"...

#129 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 02:12 PM

This is how males "play" lots of flash and banter

Have you played with girls? Most memorable thing I ever heard from one of the girls I used to play with was "Kid be quite momy is killing people!"
We are still waiting until the kid is 18 to give that to him as a "sign" to hang on his wall...his mother dosn't think its a good idea ^_^

#130 P0T8T0

Rookie

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 01:56 PM

Sometimes, you have to embrace your inner potato.

Love,

P0T8T0

#131 Relishcakes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 337 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 03:34 PM

Howdy folks!

Before I get all giddy about the new event and waxing lyrical about my new mechs and working on my new PSR I wanted as a midland pilot who works hard to bring new players and returning players on board to take a second to say:

It's not clever, it's not accurate, and it make you look like jackasses thirsty to be seen as 'elite' rather than elite. This goes for you gents who make the great videos every week showing pilots how to improve and play with a team and build decent rigs. When you use the friggen stupid reductive term you undercut all the great work that your videos accomplish for the game.

And before someone throws the 'git gud' or 'nancy boy' comments just know this, no one has called me a potato in years, but i have seen it used again and again, even more of late, and what is really obnoxious is that it is used in a lazy way, without the full intent, yet still does all the same damage to alienate players.

You want to make other pilots feel inferior to you? well if that's your kink do it on the battlefield and leave this term in the rubbish bin where it belongs.

Words aren't violence, if you want to play a game with a community, learn the way the community speaks. We aren't changing our language just because you said so....also, what else would we call terrible things/people? its already rude to call them terrible things/people....

This coming from a potato player....spud and proud.

#132 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 18 March 2021 - 03:49 PM

Howdy folks!

Take it as a compliment as most ppl are are "the meat and potatoes" rather than a scrub or an elite pri*ck.

Edited by HammerMaster, 18 March 2021 - 03:49 PM.

#133 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 March 2021 - 04:43 PM

Honestly op people will always talk down to others.. The internet promotes it, competitiveness promotes it, entitlement is huge these days.. Not much we can to with toxic people online just block and ignore imo.

OMG, the snowflakes are in town. This is NOT reality its a game. Man up and fire back! No-one cares about micro aggressions OR your feelings. This is how males "play" lots of flash and banter, if this upsets you then I kindly suggest you steer clear of the internet as you are going to get eaten alive.

Yes we know the kinda males that play i'm better than you. The ones that aren't.. also the term is aggression, We get it, Feelings bad abuse good? Nice way to condone toxic ********.

You are the problem..

Edited by Samial, 18 March 2021 - 04:51 PM.

#134 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 18 March 2021 - 05:45 PM

Posted Image

View PostBud Crue, on 01 July 2020 - 08:50 AM, said:

For T1, we have to go with a plant that is tall, rising above the rest. A plant that is superior both in terms of stature and maybe even flavor? How about Corn? Doesn't exactly inspire does it? But then it hit me....the tallest herbaceous plant in the world is a form of: Banana. There is no other choice then, the elite of the game, you are all: bananas.

Posted Image

Edited by The6thMessenger, 18 March 2021 - 05:48 PM.

#135 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 05:46 PM

1. You can argue about a topic or try to use stats to silent someoneone, one lets you look trumpish.
2. Stats are flawed. Do they show if you play with a group or solo?
3. Do the stats show all numbers or only the "serious" competition account?
4. Best reflexes and aiming says nothing about the understanding of the game.
5. Throwing names dont makes your teammates better, but your reputation worse.
6. Noone likes the kids that screams and rolls on the floor because the game is not played how the kid wants.
7. If you need to give others names in a onlinegame to feel better, you are a poor beeing.
8. If you cant bear the randomness of online pug gaming, find you 23 friends and make you privat matches.
9. Elitism, in an online niche game, with only a few players, sounds strange and pity.
10. Potato is the name for germans in germany, used by not native germans. Stop that cultural appropriation!

And at the end:
There is no differenc if a hobo in the train or a random internet guys mumbles something,
both doenst bothers me. Posted Image

Edited by Kroete, 18 March 2021 - 05:56 PM.

#136 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 06:04 PM

i like potaytoes, screw political correctness, its a videogame, lets have fun, and potaytoe calling is part of that fun :)

if you dont like it, just ignore it...

#137 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 08:56 AM

So is Irish Avocado better?

#138 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 03:40 PM

potato is a damn accurate description of players tonight, it might actually be an insult to real potatoes which are useful.

#139 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 04:56 PM

Mechs explained visually by Potato Tiers.

Posted Image

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 19 July 2020 - 01:03 PM, said:

crushes beer on forehead

No no no, in this game it is

crushes Spirit Bears on forehead

#140 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 March 2021 - 08:59 PM

I feel they should be called Vodka Battlers.

Because Vodka is made from Potatoes and we aren't bad pilots just really really Drunk.

View PostWildstreak, on 19 March 2021 - 04:56 PM, said:

Mechs explained visually by Potato Tiers.

Posted Image

No no no, in this game it is

crushes Spirit Bears on forehead

I am a smiley face fritter and i love it.

Edited by Samial, 19 March 2021 - 09:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users