Potato, This Expression Is Rubbish And Hurts The Game.

149 replies to this topic

#101 LowSubmarino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:39 AM

This pc madness is ludicrous.

If you play a game with 23 other ppl ypu will be judged and ppl will comment on your sins. I have rarely seen ppl get brutalized verbally for not having the best aim or for newbie-like mech control. What generates potato talk is braindead play where pilots split off in slow mechs and instadie vs entire team red, significantly reducing their team's overall pototential. Naturally, if you suck hard and do stupid stuff then ppl will call you out and let you know you fail badly. It is always like that when playing publicly. Ppl respect either team play or simply good performances. If you die far away from team (no team play) without killing anything or heavily damaging multiple mechs (bad performsnces) ppl will call you a potato as you are just cannonfodder. Even a bad player with brains can at least share armor and contribute a bit offensively as well. But a potato is bad and stupid and will always have multiple volunteers that are ready and eager to tell him or her that he or she is a potato :P

Wheres the harm in that. Just kill mechs and evybody loves you

#102 RJF Volkodav

• 1,444 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:43 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 13 July 2020 - 10:10 PM, said:

Dude decent aim won't cut it, if one wants to be on the 99%.
Your aim needs to be in the top 1% to be on the 99% if math's serves me right.
So what you say can never happen. amirite?

That math would be correct if the game would depend on aim skills only.
I'm in top 99,9% and i have a decent aim (in general, not "compared" to MWO playerbase). This game doees not need aim to be great as it depends much on positioning and builds. My aim is not enough do let me get out of mid-leagues in Overwatch for example, but quite enough to be at 99% here. I know what i'm talking about.

The problem of all that who cannot even get basic aim here is lack of will to improve. Ppl just "play a game" not even thinking of setting your sensitivity correctly, try to do basic tracking and try to use adequate builds, They want to do their shuu-shuu with LRMs and dakka-dakka spreading damage all around, but not getting any viable results. As long as you start trying you will get better for sure. According my Clan example we were not able to get to top 90% only one-two persons in 7 years of MWO, and it was more than 100 ppl joining at that period. And i'm quite sure that it was because they did not wanted to improve again.

Just take a look what is to have a good tracking in Quake for exaple and compare this to holding laser burn on almost static assault in MWO (which 90% cant do)

Edited by RJF Volkodav, 14 July 2020 - 01:18 AM.

#103 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 14 July 2020 - 05:59 AM

In reality you are going to have to expect to get called out for truly poor play. Bad is bad...and generally for people to start up with the potato-talk you have to be cringe inducingly bad. We have all seen it if we stick around to spectate matches. Just last night we lost a competitive match and had a 100% fresh lrm mad dog as our last mech. It was conquest and he said he had been capping the whole match (scored 0 damage before he died) By his build and his inability to navigate Solaris City any experienced player could tell he was new to the game. He was indeed a potato, playing a potato build in a potato way. However, one of the experienced guys on our side decided be magnanimous and just say “ you are obviously new, please go watch some MWO on Twitch so you can learn how to play better”. Which I thought was helpful and restrained....the new guy didn’t take the suggestion too well. Some guys just want to stay as potatoes I guess.

#104 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:04 AM

you're all a bunch of tomatoes !!!

#105 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:24 AM

View PostHellbringer, on 14 July 2020 - 06:04 AM, said:

you're all a bunch of tomatoes !!!

Posted Image

#106 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:59 AM

View PostRJF Volkodav, on 14 July 2020 - 12:43 AM, said:

That math would be correct if the game would depend on aim skills only.
I'm in top 99,9% and i have a decent aim (in general, not "compared" to MWO playerbase). This game doees not need aim to be great as it depends much on positioning and builds. My aim is not enough do let me get out of mid-leagues in Overwatch for example, but quite enough to be at 99% here. I know what i'm talking about.

Please I understand too, maybe better!

Without good aim, positioning and builds won't get you to 99% unless your in a premade
You didn't mention that, and I believe you are in a pre-made group, pretty sure I have seen you around in one recently.
Correct he if I am wrong.

Solo players dont have the luxury of having their own premade group handly, well not one that see's them as non cannon fodder
They have to rely on top 1% aim, positioning and builds to be 99%.
Not so ez.

Did you know only one percent of players can be 99% plus player, so clearly not every one can be 99%.

The problem of all that who cannot even get basic aim here is lack of will to improve. Ppl just "play a game" not even thinking

Yes Yes if your train long and hard enough you can lift X wing fighter, I know!

But did you know that for the peoples of the Filthy Casual Slacker Nations Clan League that self improvement is optional.

These people have the right to play the game enjoyably as much as the 99%ers and the Cult of Coattail riders Henchmens/Womens Auxiliary.

Or put it this way, for every time 99 potatoes gather a 99%er is created. True Story

This means if you look after the potatoes (via a matchmaker that actually works) the 99%er will look after them selves and increase in numbers.

But frankly tired talking as talking about match maker near the end of the game is point less.

Many people fail to realize 99%er come from potato.

Like Cream come from Millk, you need more milk to have more cream come.

Potato is same like milk and 99%er is like cream

You want more 99%er, then you need more potatoes not less

#107 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 11:05 AM

The problem of all that who cannot even get basic aim here is lack of will to improve. Ppl just "play a game" not even thinking of setting your sensitivity correctly, try to do basic tracking and try to use adequate builds, They want to do their shuu-shuu with LRMs and dakka-dakka spreading damage all around, but not getting any viable results.

As you said, they dont want and just play a game.
And it seems most players go this way and nobody can change this.

If you want more better players you need much more players,
double the playerbase would you will have double the top players.

But you will never have much deviation from the normal distribution,
you will have around 10% top and bottom players and 80% in the middle,
doesnt matter how much they want to improve or how many players are playing.

Edited by Kroete, 14 July 2020 - 11:06 AM.

#108 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 14 July 2020 - 11:54 AM

The problem of all that who cannot even get basic aim here is lack of will to improve. Ppl just "play a game" not even thinking of setting your sensitivity correctly, try to do basic tracking and try to use adequate builds, They want to do their shuu-shuu with LRMs and dakka-dakka spreading damage all around, but not getting any viable results. As long as you start trying you will get better for sure.

Heaven forbid people play a game for fun.

Just take a look what is to have a good tracking in Quake for exaple and compare this to holding laser burn on almost static assault in MWO (which 90% cant do)

I'll have you know I have it on good authority from high level players that lasers aren't pinpoint weapons because it's impossible to do exactly that.

#109 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:30 PM

i haven't logged in for quite a while, but after reading this post im going to have to play some games just to call people potato names for the lulz.

p.s. i'm superpotato status because the new skill system is complete ******* garbage and i refuse to use it. but i might have to start calling potatoes jonnyslams.

Edited by Hellcat420, 14 July 2020 - 01:43 PM.

#110 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:16 PM

hellcat I have grown to like the skill system

it used to give me a reason to play
i bought mechs and ground them to skill them up
so it was not all bad (you just have to check your brain at the door)

I ran out of Mechs to buy (I have 135 Mechs) so I am hopping PGI will
come out with a new Mech

#111 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 July 2020 - 01:19 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 14 July 2020 - 11:54 AM, said:

Heaven forbid people play a game for fun.
There's a distinction between playing for fun and being actively bad at the game. You absolutely can play to win and still have fun, arguably even more of it because you get to kick *** more often.

#112 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:13 AM

It’s pretty simple if you want to have fun. Just don’t care. It’s only frustrating if you’re trying to actively climb tiers and you’re hampered by tomatoes constantly trying to make tomato paste during matches.

If you don’t care and just bring derpy Flammers / machine guns / narcs/ and other tomatoey builds you’ll have a lot of fun. I tried taking out my atlas for lawls and i forgot that pgi turned it into a walking center torso with the engine desync. Ahhh good times.

#113 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:57 AM

View PostHellbringer, on 15 July 2020 - 06:13 AM, said:

It’s pretty simple if you want to have fun. Just don’t care. It’s only frustrating if you’re trying to actively climb tiers and you’re hampered by tomatoes constantly trying to make tomato paste during matches.

If you don’t care and just bring derpy Flammers / machine guns / narcs/ and other tomatoey builds you’ll have a lot of fun. I tried taking out my atlas for lawls and i forgot that pgi turned it into a walking center torso with the engine desync. Ahhh good times.

I understand this mindset, but i also would point out you could "play chess" by grabbing the pieces and randomly moving them, by moving the opponents pieces for him on occasion, or by tossing pebbles at them to knock them over until all were tipped, but if someone presented a "chess game" that involved such actions (without specifically stating it was a non-chess "chess" game) a majority of players would be unsatisfied.

#114 Johnny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 235 posts
  • Locationah hah!

Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:46 AM

Congrats to everyone missing my point, most likely on purpose lol.

If you have the need, or kink to feel better than other pilots, do it on the battlefield and do it with you mech instead of the lazy stupid term Potato.

Not that I haven't enjoyed (laughed my butt off at) the countless humble-brags that other posters have used this thread as a vehicle for.

Edited by Johnny Slam, 16 July 2020 - 11:53 AM.

#115 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:53 AM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 15 July 2020 - 06:57 AM, said:

I understand this mindset, but i also would point out you could "play chess" by grabbing the pieces and randomly moving them, by moving the opponents pieces for him on occasion, or by tossing pebbles at them to knock them over until all were tipped, but if someone presented a "chess game" that involved such actions (without specifically stating it was a non-chess "chess" game) a majority of players would be unsatisfied.

Bit of a misrepresentation there, your chess analogy is going outside the rules of play.

A better analogy would be a rubix cube, you can either fumble around with it and see what happens, or you can go study it and learn the most efficient way of solving it. Neither is particularly wrong even if solving it is the ultimate goal.

Edit: There's also the try-hard approach; find out how someone else does it and copy them.

Edited by VonBruinwald, 16 July 2020 - 12:07 PM.

#116 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:05 PM

View PostHellbringer, on 15 July 2020 - 06:13 AM, said:

...............................................................................................narcs.................................................................................

I would have you know narc are the pinnacle in assisted aiming tech! Posted Image

View PostJohnny Slam, on 16 July 2020 - 11:46 AM, said:

Congrats to everyone missing my point, most likely on purpose lol.

If you have the need, or kink to feel better than other pilots, do it on the battlefield and do it with you mech instead of the lazy stupid term Potato.

Not that I haven't enjoyed (laughed my butt off at) the countless humble-brags that other posters have used this thread as a vehicle for.

Problem is that they say Potato after they beat you.
Bustards
Posted Image

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 16 July 2020 - 01:05 PM.

#117 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:20 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 16 July 2020 - 01:05 PM, said:

That's the problem, too many cowards only trash talk when they've won.

Real Mechwarriors trash talk before their 'mechs hit the deck.

#118 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 02:43 AM

Come@MeBro Posted Image

#119 MUNTAFIRE2

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 03:48 AM

As a fellow potato, knowing that potatoes originated here in this game and have a long history, I hereby support all potato and calling of such, as no potato is a weak and shameful society. pot tate o

#120 Johnny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 235 posts
  • Locationah hah!

Posted 17 July 2020 - 04:48 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 16 July 2020 - 01:05 PM, said:

Bustards
Posted Image

Nah, as I said previously... numerous times... I haven't been called a potato personally, but I have had to hear way to many wannabe 'leets using it in game. Also the fellows who use it in videos, and then of the most use is here on the forums where grown men and women seem to constantly yammer it with all the tack and guile of 12 year-olds learning the work Sh*t or f*ck to sound cool and edgy.

lol you are all sooooo 'leet

Edited by Johnny Slam, 17 July 2020 - 04:49 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users