Potato, This Expression Is Rubbish And Hurts The Game.

149 replies to this topic

#61 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 12:27 AM

I wanna have an eggplant in my cockpit.

#62 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:28 AM

View PostKroete, on 03 July 2020 - 12:23 AM, said:

Sure the brits called germans krauts, but the brits have no clue about food,

I see someone can't handle a full English.

#63 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 04:21 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 03 July 2020 - 03:28 AM, said:

I see someone can't handle a full English.

Or Haggis, food of the gods that stuff is.

#64 MF H3NDO

• PipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 23 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationTraining Grounds

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:55 AM

Moin kartoffeln!

#65 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 517 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:56 AM

KartÖffeln.

#66 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:06 AM

but but but potatos are delicious.

#67 Johnny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 235 posts
  • Locationah hah!

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:11 AM

All right so what I'm getting out of all these delightfully facile posts is:

"Shut up Johnny! we like to use this word because it make less skilled players feel bad! bwaaahahahah and that makes us better... um.... gooder?.... um... and they are not really hurt....even if they stop playing.... and....uh? Shut up JOHNNY! let us be abusive!!!.... "

Huh? interesting, not one of you could actually defend the use, other than to say it can be used by a couple of you in a self-depreciating manner... cool.

Oh! and I almost forgot, a couple of you tried to tie this to some larger culture-war and political erectness... which was a really looooooong stretch, tell me if you are at the dinner table with a group of friends and you refrain from calling one of them or say your grandpa a 're-tard' is that political correctness or you just being a decent human being?

Edited by Johnny Slam, 03 July 2020 - 11:11 AM.

#68 Sergeant Destroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:27 AM

Pomatoe?

#69 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 03 July 2020 - 12:39 PM

View PostJohnny Slam, on 03 July 2020 - 11:11 AM, said:

tell me if you are at the dinner table with a group of friends and you refrain from calling one of them or say your grandpa a 're-tard' is that political correctness or you just being a decent human being?

It might amuse you to know I don't use the R word anymore, instead, I use the word strawberry as a substitute, even in spoken language. Most people understand the implication even if it takes them a few seconds to make the connection.

Context is important.

#70 The Jewce Iz Loose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2022 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:03 PM

This potato no good, done went soft on us

#71 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:05 PM

... not one of you could actually defend the use...

From one cabbage to another, I'll defend the use of the term.

Here's the thing, we are all potatoes now and again.

Everybody in this game has moments of stupidity, or does something ill advised, and then pay the price for it; sometimes the whole team pays the price. It is in these magical moments that even a tier 1 comp player might be grade A certified potato. From the top to the bottom it ought to be a-okay to properly describe conduct or behavior in the appropriately descriptive manner.

It is no more derogatory to say "Holy crap Bud, you managed over 150 team damage...again...you potato" any more than it is to say "Holy crap Bud, you managed over 150 team damage again...thanks a lot, now we need to wait 2 minutes because of your stupidity! How on earth could you do that two games in a row? Do you like getting a negative PSR rating on a win? Is that your thing, ya dumb ***?."

The benefit of the term "potato" here should be clear: it gets the underlying point across in a much more concise manner, while also expressing the speaker's ire in a slightly humorous but also crystal clear manner. Certainly, in my example above the speaker could have simply said "...that's bad" or "...gosh, I am disappointed" but neither of these comments properly express the irritation of the speaker, nor adequately calls out the bad conduct at issue. Perhaps you'd prefer that the speaker say nothing? Simply stew in silence, letting their unexpressed vexation and resentment fester, until it becomes uncontrolled rage resulting in Bud's untimely legging in the next game's opening spawn? Come now, that doesn't sound like a good outcome now does it?

Instead, the speaker should use the proper term of art that is appropriate for this situation and so many more, and that term is: potato. When properly used, it expresses so much, and in such a way, that the person to whom it is directed cannot possibly misunderstand its meaning. Message sent, message received, and now everyone can move on, keep playing, and hope that everyone does better in the next match...and that maybe ole' Bud will lay off the strikes and stop potatoing.

#72 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:05 PM

View PostSergeant Destroy, on 02 July 2020 - 11:45 AM, said:

Topatoe.

Topatoe Rotatoe. Say that three times fast with a straight face.

#73 Sergeant Destroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 02:28 PM

Ropatoe Toratoe Lurmatoe.
Do IT

#74 GuardDogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 04:14 PM

Good reason I dislike stats. The word "Potato" will be used. To many saucy players. Always about stats, name calling, and not about the piloting a mech. Not a friendly game, even in forums. Although the game is broken. That also stats, and most of the players chase away others to quite playing MWO. Top players are showing toxic personalities in MWO. Noticed pilots are hiding their tier now. Yeah they know it is embarrassing in MWO.

Edited by GuardDogg, 03 July 2020 - 04:32 PM.

#75 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:31 PM

okay okay okay i got a great story. alright listen up.

So i was grinding some PSR today and i had one match on canyon where the drop was horrible and i got swarmed by lights. ended up doing eruhhh 200 damage i think? and then this awesome dude called me MAXIMUM POTATO and i cost the team the game. It was hilarious!!! he had a list of potato related comments, king spud, u-suck-gold (yukon gold potato playon), are you baked (potato)?, etc etc etc. Ohhh man it was glorious.

If you ever see this fine gentlemen in game, please record it for me. HE SHALL NOT BE NAMED!

#76 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 02:02 PM

do you really want to live in a world without potatoes? do you really know what you are asking?

#77 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 07 July 2020 - 08:02 AM

ok potato

#78 Black Caiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 08:37 AM

View PostGuardDogg, on 03 July 2020 - 04:14 PM, said:

Good reason I dislike stats. The word "Potato" will be used. To many saucy players. Always about stats, name calling, and not about the piloting a mech. Not a friendly game, even in forums. Although the game is broken. That also stats, and most of the players chase away others to quite playing MWO. Top players are showing toxic personalities in MWO. Noticed pilots are hiding their tier now. Yeah they know it is embarrassing in MWO.

Maybe it depends on the circles you run in, but I find the vast majority of MWO players are either pleasant or just nothing (ie they dont communicate in any for or fashion). Sure their are some very angry sad people out there, some are comp level players, but some are just disillusioned mediocrity. I also find their is a pretty good party of the population that dont even know where to find their stats at. I go through most drops with very limited if any bad attitudes, and Im not about to get bent out of shape when I do encounter some bitter pathetic individual. Generally I get a good laugh out of it because its just that...laughable. Then do my best to get the all worked up if I run into them again (I know, I know its not helpful to potentiate their anger, but oh well). The forums are a tiny snapshot of the game itself, so its much too small of a sample size to judge the player base as a whole off of.

#79 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:52 AM

View PostBlack Caiman, on 07 July 2020 - 08:37 AM, said:

Maybe it depends on the circles you run in, but I find the vast majority of MWO players are either pleasant or just nothing (ie they dont communicate in any for or fashion). Sure their are some very angry sad people out there, some are comp level players, but some are just disillusioned mediocrity. I also find their is a pretty good party of the population that dont even know where to find their stats at. I go through most drops with very limited if any bad attitudes, and Im not about to get bent out of shape when I do encounter some bitter pathetic individual. Generally I get a good laugh out of it because its just that...laughable. Then do my best to get the all worked up if I run into them again (I know, I know its not helpful to potentiate their anger, but oh well). The forums are a tiny snapshot of the game itself, so its much too small of a sample size to judge the player base as a whole off of.

My experience is that you tend to get what you give. Players that are friendly and fun to hang out with or just asking for help will usually be met with a positive experience from the community. Players that are toxic, blame their teams, or think that they know more than they do tend to get toxicity back.

In many cases it's just a projection of a player's personal insecurities or an over generalization of their experiences to those of the broader community.

Yes, there are players that are rude, insulting, and toxic, however there are also plenty of players that are polite, friendly, and helpful. The vast majority are silent as you said. If a player can just enjoy themselves, shrug off the occasional insult, and go on with their life without getting drawn into arguments they'll find the community a pretty decent place overall.

If the player is overly concerned about stats, unhappy with their performance and blames other players for it, or insists on arguing incorrect points and refusing to take feedback or criticism, then yes they are probably going to catch a lot of flack for what they say.

#80 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 02:12 PM

political erectness

lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users