644 replies to this topic

#561 Amerith

Rookie

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 04:30 PM

View PostSpare Knight, on 20 August 2020 - 04:44 AM, said:

I am trying to understand why you feel the need to "level up." The Tier Levels are not a reward or punishment. They are a way to place players into groups of players with similar skill levels. This should theoretically make it possible for the match maker to build competitive games. If you think you are having a hard time now, what do you expect to find if you were to get placed into Tier 1?

And this is a problem atm. We are all being clumped together from Tier 5 to Tier 1 in the same Open Match. (I suspect this is due to a lower player base just so we don't have to wait forever to get a match.) Also, some matches we're seeing a massive difference in weight/types (Like 7 assaults on one team with 1 or 2 assaults on the other.) This problem I'm not sure about, though I suspect it might have been caused by an attempt to lessen the time between waiting for a match or possibly a coding error. Either way, the best thing to do a IMO, is to be patient and play smart.

#562 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 04:31 PM

well this and easy answer, back some years ago, when i was done building mechs and not worried about about having cash ect ect, and comp teams started forming, its was all about that TEIR LEVEL, of course some said, its other things.
but i did miss out being in a few good teams, they only wanted tier 1 players, not the guy that never did anything, oh the precise karls list and website, that tracks your match score oh my.
but needless to say i found some guys to play with, and a teamspeak to use, and helped them, then i started going back down to tier 3, hmm after 17000 drops and star captain or so in 2 CLANS, i think i know a little about the maps, how to win and the leadership of things, (also retired army). i did play solo enough to keep tier 2 active.
TEIR LEVEL is like RANK in the army, and folks want to say i can do that, and other folks want to boost i am better then you a low life use less little piece of, EDIT, had it happen last night, had happen in forum the one just before this, i have no voice because i am not a a level high enough the JARLS LIST.
SO that is your answer, folks judge folks, so give the little new guy at least one path up in tier level, other then total darkness like my self never helping.
OHH and thanks for the change i got team kill list night and i got zero match score so some one changed some thing, go figure.
SAWK Darkness is the path to power

#563 Magic Pain Glove

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 07:01 PM

Soup queue screwed everything over . Groups cant be balanced against other groups nor can the matchmaker balance groups against pugs ...

At this point I dont think any PSR system will solve it , and any implementation of PSR will always be a bandaid .

#564 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 August 2020 - 10:45 PM

View PostSawk, on 19 August 2020 - 03:04 PM, said:

i have an idea, as bad as that sounds, its-- i am finding that to level up, i need to get a green arrow for tier level, and get 1 or 2 kills, also 400 plus damage, and a win for match score, all together, its a little tough,
It's supposed to be tough, but it's nowhere near as tough as you claim.

THE IDEA, i would bring back scouting missions with a twist, only allow tier 1 and 2, and maybe the forth be a guest, its already built, maybe make faction drop only 8 man load to cover space on the server, and you have 4 man teams, all the elite guys get there own place, to fight, maybe allow heavy mechs in, but no assaults, no true pilot only plays a assault, and i know many that can not play a light, or will not is that why your tier 1 ???, i know many times i had to play a light for a team, sometimes i would even out damage them, but that another story.
That would not help you in any way.

#565 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 07:24 PM

View PostSawk, on 19 August 2020 - 03:04 PM, said:

HI folks.
i have an idea, as bad as that sounds, its-- i am finding that to level up, i need to get a green arrow for tier level, and get 1 or 2 kills, also 400 plus damage, and a win for match score, all together, its a little tough,

That sounds about average for contribution to a win. If you're not getting that then you haven't been adjusted to the right tier yet.

It's not a measure of experience. It's not a goal. It doesn't even matter much in terms of MM, because the only difference when I ticked over was now it takes an extra minute or two waiting for the gates to open and I drop with cadets still. It just means when there's enough people online, you'll play more with people around your skill level.

If you stop deliberately killing people as well it might help. It guarantees a low match score.

#566 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 08:10 PM

View PostAmerith, on 19 August 2020 - 10:53 AM, said:

I apologize ahead of time if this has already been answered, but I didn't see it in any posts.

Why change this after 9 years, especially when its obvious that the player base has gotten so much smaller now?

Its the business plan to shut the game down gracefully

Farm, drive the weaker players out of the game, hear the lamentation of stupped people - Why are wait times get longer...drool, lick window

Tragedy of the commons - Question: where is the player base?

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 21 August 2020 - 08:14 PM.

#567 ShadowSpirit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • 341 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 12:07 PM

So is this a done deal? Seeing a lot of stomps. I'm mid tier 2 at the moment.

#568 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 27 August 2020 - 11:02 AM

View PostAmerith, on 19 August 2020 - 10:53 AM, said:

Why change this after 9 years, especially when its obvious that the player base has gotten so much smaller now?

Sorry that I didn't get back to you soon enough on this. :(

To answer your question, PGI is trying to avoid losing any more players, at least so far as they possibly can. It was either do it, or let the game finish dying. :huh:

Unfortunately, PGI's Paul Inouye utterly FAILED to maintain the aspect of Total Team Tonnage Balance and resulted in allowing stomps to keep plaguing the efforts to fix things. As long as they continue to be "death-gripped" upon having PSR insanely close, but keep on failing to reinstate Total Team Tonnage Balance to make sure that any given Match is not horribly lopsided, then players are going to continue to keep giving up on MWO and leaving. He simply doesn't have a choice here about actually going the full & right way on repairing MatchMaking so things aren't in an unbalanced state. The longer he fails to fix this, then the more angry I'm going to be, particularly because of how it degrades & destroys the overall experience for everyone. :angry:

Of course, that then leaves the whole Match Score System to need pumping up on almost all the Non-Damage Actions that exist in non-Skirmish-only modes. Without this change, the PSR & MM Systems simply can not properly recognize & place any Mech Pilots who are better at things other than Damage during gameplay. Like, where the heck was our Role-Based Warfare supposed to fit into this anyway? :o

~Mr. D. V. "I don't expect it to happen, but let's hope PGI's Paul Inouye finally fixes this properly." Devnull

#569 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 12:22 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 21 August 2020 - 08:10 PM, said:

Its the business plan to shut the game down gracefully

Farm, drive the weaker players out of the game, hear the lamentation of stupped people - Why are wait times get longer...drool, lick window

Tragedy of the commons - Question: where is the player base?

So your saying it's a coordinated plan by the company to drive themselves out of business? Or are you being sarcastic? Sometimes it's hard to tell.

I'd suggest they have a lot of data on who spends money and what the game may want to do to get them to spend more money on this free to play game. I know we individually have a good sense of what we think would make us spend more or keep us playing the game but they've got a lot of information on the player base's overall spending habits - and how those spending habits did or didn't change during the trial group Q merge.

#570 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 02:38 AM

Well we only know that Mechpacks don't bring in the money they used to do and with that the biggest income for the game died of...at least that is how I understood it.

So most likely people buying primetime and MC are the next best income?
I also guess that PGI has the data, question is what are they doing with it? Dosn't feel like much

#571 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 28 August 2020 - 06:45 AM

Got to tier 1, got incredible losing streak doing so, with teams doing all sort of headless chicken strategy. Things will settle down now probably.

Sad that the game is losing players but it have been there for a long time, and not a lot of upgrades lately... They got me waiting so long for my hatchetman, axeman and berserker package... would have paid for these packages.

#572 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 01:02 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 28 August 2020 - 02:38 AM, said:

So most likely people buying primetime and MC are the next best income?

No need to buy Premium time, it's a pretty common reward in events. Same with MCs.
Premium time is also only helpfull for grinding XPs and C-Bills, things most players have more than enough.

MCs are only needed to buy Mechbays for new Mechs, new Mechs what be needed to grind up with XPs.
And XP-grinding with an unskilled Mech will ruin your K/D, so don't do it.
Most Mechs are bad anyway, so after getting some goods Mechs it isn't sensible to buy bad Mechs and grinding them up.

Edited by Alreech, 29 August 2020 - 01:14 AM.

#573 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 01:11 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 27 August 2020 - 11:02 AM, said:

Of course, that then leaves the whole Match Score System to need pumping up on almost all the Non-Damage Actions that exist in non-Skirmish-only modes. Without this change, the PSR & MM Systems simply can not properly recognize & place any Mech Pilots who are better at things other than Damage during gameplay. Like, where the heck was our Role-Based Warfare supposed to fit into this anyway? Posted Image

Role Warfare work only in coordinated teams that assign roles before the match.
It can't work if you create the team for one match with random players and than disband the team after the match.
(Not showing a Players role with a Role-Icon like other Shooters do it - for example the Icons for Sniper, Assault, Medic, Anti-Tank in Battlefield - is also a good way to prevent Role Warfare).

Creating a team of random players of the same skill level works very well in fast paced shooters with equal terms (and respawns).
I wonder why it doesn't work in a game without respawns, slow gameplay and vastly different player unit abilities (light vs. assault Mechs).

Edited by Alreech, 29 August 2020 - 01:14 AM.

#574 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 29 August 2020 - 03:13 PM

View PostAlreech, on 29 August 2020 - 01:02 AM, said:

No need to buy Premium time, it's a pretty common reward in events. Same with MCs.
Premium time is also only helpfull for grinding XPs and C-Bills, things most players have more than enough.

MCs are only needed to buy Mechbays for new Mechs, new Mechs what be needed to grind up with XPs.
Most Mechs are bad anyway, so after getting some goods Mechs it isn't sensible to buy bad Mechs and grinding them up.

Yep getting new mech with hard to find sweet spot ruin the game experience, lol, got so many of them...

View PostAlreech, on 29 August 2020 - 01:11 AM, said:

Role Warfare work only in coordinated teams that assign roles before the match.
It can't work if you create the team for one match with random players and than disband the team after the match.
(Not showing a Players role with a Role-Icon like other Shooters do it - for example the Icons for Sniper, Assault, Medic, Anti-Tank in Battlefield - is also a good way to prevent Role Warfare).

Creating a team of random players of the same skill level works very well in fast paced shooters with equal terms (and respawns).
I wonder why it doesn't work in a game without respawns, slow gameplay and vastly different player unit abilities (light vs. assault Mechs).

Without respawn, a rolling ball effect happen when you lose a couple of players on one team, and it's hard to stop it... pretty hard.

#575 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 August 2020 - 02:52 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 27 August 2020 - 11:02 AM, said:

Of course, that then leaves the whole Match Score System to need pumping up on almost all the Non-Damage Actions that exist in non-Skirmish-only modes. Without this change, the PSR & MM Systems simply can not properly recognize & place any Mech Pilots who are better at things other than Damage during gameplay. Like, where the heck was our Role-Based Warfare supposed to fit into this anyway? Posted Image
With a caveat: they should only be rewarded higher if you won by objective rather than killing the entire opfor.
And no, your defense of "being better at things other than damage" doesn't hold water. Consider the match in very abstract terms: you have two teams competing to either eliminate the entire enemy force or complete the objective before the other team does.

Thing is... "being good at dealing damage" matters even there: each mech is an asset and by tying up those assets, forcing them out of position or eliminating them entirely your team's damage dealers are allowing the "objective players" to do their job at all.
Consider these two scenarios. Conquest. Your entire team was wiped out. Caps are at 600 and 730, you have one cap left and the enemy took four already.
  • The enemy team has five mechs remaining, two of them are fully mobile lights able to reach your cap point in ten seconds
  • The enemy team has five mechs remaining, all halved and/or legged and only able to reach your cap point in ~20 seconds

One of those is a loss. One is a narrow win, and only because your damage dealers did their job.

Edited by Horseman, 30 August 2020 - 02:52 AM.

#576 RRAMIREZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 183 posts
  • LocationIn the Blob

Posted 01 September 2020 - 12:45 AM

View PostAlreech, on 29 August 2020 - 01:02 AM, said:

Depends on your personnal objectives...
On my side skilling a mech gives me more motivation to play than grinding my stats. It's personnal.
so I would say :
"XP-grinding with an unskilled Mech will make things a bit more difficult than usual, so do it." ^^

#577 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:48 AM

I usually split the difference and get some of the bare essentials with GXP then grind the rest of SP normally. Helps if you don't overfocus on one mech but instead milk the x2 first victory bonus across multiple mechs each day.

#578 spannerturner

• PipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 06:48 AM

View PostHorseman, on 01 September 2020 - 01:48 AM, said:

Helps if you don't overfocus on one mech but instead milk the x2 first victory bonus across multiple mechs each day.

Agreed. I also try to do this with several mechs that all have similar loadouts, firing ranges, and play styles...

#579 Lance McRaven

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 167 posts
  • LocationMentor, Ohio

Posted 02 September 2020 - 01:07 PM

Funny, I used to worry about my tier, and was proud when I moved to Tier 4 and Tier 3. Then, the reset, I started Tier 3, and just kept going down. Now, I am Tier 5, and I am not going to worry about Tier. I kept watching, and trying to go back up. Then I said, what the hell.

I joined during BETA, and had a blast getting new mechs, leveling them up, and playing with this community. My approach is to just keep skilling my mechs, and playing with my friends out there, and just having fun. My Tier will stay Tier 5, because it no longer matters. See you out there, and good luck!!

#580 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 04:40 PM

OK when are we going to see, the results, the bell curve ECT stuff, we have to be close or even past the 3 month wait, if no one ever ask, it may never happen, just trying to kick can.

Sawk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users