2021 maps

276 replies to this topic

#241 Valley Pirate

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:26 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 16 November 2020 - 07:24 PM, said:

just no more snow maps. the alaskan weather is depressing enough, i dont need it in my escapism.

use some of the seldom used tile sets like terra therma, viridian bog, sulfurous rift, or hellbore springs.

perhaps retrofit some of the fp maps to be playable in qp.

So much this. All the this! Let's get some of those maps you already have in to the QP rotation somehow. There's probably a lot of people that have never even seen them.

#242 Mercu

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:01 AM

Just a quick thought - can we make the bases in assault super defended which will promote a different type of game play. I'm thinking LRM20 base defense turrents, quad UAC2's, etc.

This would look brutal and finally give MWO that truely epic feel for the new beginners and the oldies! Visually it would be unequalled in the current game. Has to be done.

#243 The Paleo King

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWherever the C-bills flow

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:55 AM

Suggestions for maps:

1. Make more of the Testing Grounds maps playable in Quick Play (Hellebore Springs, Vitric Forge, Grim Portico, etc.). Only a handful of them are currently options, most are not even being used. Also make the Alpine maps more commonly available options.

2. Also make some Solaris maps playable in Quick Play, at least until the Solaris entry/queue rules can be made a bit more user-friendly (Ishiyama Caves, Boreal Reach, etc.)

3. New Maps - let's have some maps based on canon planets in the BT universe. Some Inner Sphere and some Periphery/Clan Homeworlds. Strange or extreme environments like cratered vacuums, crystalline anomalies (like in MW2 and MW4: Black Knight Legion), forests with alien plants, are are a good choice, IMO. Maps based on planets older MW games (with some bases, building, facilities) will make this a lot of fun for fans of the older games. Sort of a remix of the classics.

4. On that note, can you hire Timothy Seals or bring in his music into the game as ambient tracks for the new maps? He's done some amazing remixes of the MW2 tracks as well as original mech music with both Clan and Merc themes.

Edited by The Paleo King, 28 January 2021 - 12:07 PM.

#244 Chillidoge

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 17 posts
  • LocationUpside-down land

Posted 28 January 2021 - 03:20 PM

So... we're getting a single map in 2021?

You really need to pick up the pace, guys. People are already bored to tears of the same maps, a single new one isn't enough. I really want to see at least four this year. There shouldn't be any excuse as to why this is unrealistic other than you are simply not willing to do the work necessary to keep this title alive, let alone breathe some life into it.

I'm really hoping you guys pull out all the stops and start going past "1" on the dial. How about 5? We don't even have to get to 10 or 11. I just want to see *some* progress here, rather than a chronic case of "too little, too late" from the devs.

#245 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:43 PM

+1; Some potential domination changes I've been toying with:

All four have the same objectives in mind:
  • Move the main combat zone to a not-oft played part of the map
  • Provide opportunities to fight/harass en-route and by extension reduce the prevalence of Nascar. Lights and Mediums now have a choice to cap, harass the enemy or screen their harassers.
  • Make the objective area feel like an objective. A patch of open snow in the highlands doesn't feel like an objective, but a base structure does.

Posted Image
Dom = C4, Gens = D3/C5, Spawns = F3/E6

Quite obvious really, you have a main base to fight over and a mountain blocking LOS on approach.

Posted Image
Dom = C4, Gens = E5/C5, Spawns = D7/G5

The mountain pass and tunnel provide an opportunity to flank the enemy team and easy access to their generator. First contact will likely be in D5, but D4/C4 offers better cover. Don't forget to pay your respects at the memorial monument in C3

Posted Image
Dom = J6, Gens = H6/K8, Spawns = F5/K10

Good fights to be had in J6 but plenty of opportunities to fight in the usual places.

Posted Image
Dom = F4, Gens = E5/G5, Spawns = E8/H8

Airdrop and a beach head insertion result in heavy ordinance getting flung around a nuclear power-plant, what could go wrong...
E5 provides a good position for over-watch but G5 offers better cover if you're heading for the objective.

#246 tailgunner

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 72 posts
  • LocationGood ole' germany

Posted 01 February 2021 - 08:23 AM

I wouldn't stop at a new community driven map. Make it multiple. Make it a mapping contest and let the ten best become part of the game. There is a lot of talent out there, you just have to leverage it.

Publish the tools, the assets and a tutorial video and watch how people will work for free.

For Mechwarrior 4: Mercs there have been several hundred custom maps, what then are ten?

View PostThe Paleo King, on 28 January 2021 - 11:55 AM, said:

2. Also make some Solaris maps playable in Quick Play, at least until the Solaris entry/queue rules can be made a bit more user-friendly (Ishiyama Caves, Boreal Reach, etc.)

I'd love to play 12 v 12 on factory, that would be a brawl!

#247 GlyphKnightMax

Rookie

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 07:02 PM

In case this hasn't been addressed, a poor Dire Wolf got stuck next to one of the ramps in the bog here. While changing and updating maps, stuff like this should be fixed too.Posted Image

#248 TASADAR101

Rookie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:37 AM

Could we have teams spawn together or closer together on Canyon network and Alpine Peaks?

#249 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 519 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:03 PM

Make more maps. Alternately, give the community the map tools and if a map passes your standards, name it after the player or add in an advertisement with the players name on a billboard.

#250 tingod

• PipPipPip
  • Leutnant-General
  • Leutnant-General
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:56 AM

there must be a map design that provide people to do nescar...
something like - with free area in the middle an two very big mountains left and right. nothing where you can go around.

sorry, my english is not so goog.

#251 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 19 March 2021 - 10:23 PM

remove the Hibernal rift Map, its a small Horrific version of Canyon ,with no Place for Movement and Full lances trapped in Bottlenecks and stands after 30 Seconds alone like Lemmings against the full Strikeforce of the Red Team.The Map is a unbalanced pain ,to small and without each Place for Tactics and terrible Spawnpoints.
Its a Bad idea to cut away the half of a Map and not looking how many ways and Ramps im Have by each Side.

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 19 March 2021 - 10:55 PM.

#252 Conjure

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 02:37 AM

View PostJavin, on 08 March 2021 - 06:03 PM, said:

Make more maps. Alternately, give the community the map tools and if a map passes your standards, name it after the player or add in an advertisement with the players name on a billboard.

I second this and haven’t read through the entirety of these comments but I have seen this said many times throughout the years. I have experience modding terrain in number of few games and would love to play around with MWO map tools. IMO a clutch of new and well thought out maps would add to the game more than any weapons passes, mech buffs, or new variants. Especially maps tailored to potential new game modes.

And on the more immediately feasible side of things, I’d love to see 12v12 in a larger version of Ishyama Caves.

#253 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 26 March 2021 - 02:56 AM

View PostConjure, on 26 March 2021 - 02:37 AM, said:

I second this and haven’t read through the entirety of these comments but I have seen this said many times throughout the years. I have experience modding terrain in number of few games and would love to play around with MWO map tools. IMO a clutch of new and well thought out maps would add to the game more than any weapons passes, mech buffs, or new variants. Especially maps tailored to potential new game modes.

And on the more immediately feasible side of things, I’d love to see 12v12 in a larger version of Ishyama Caves.

we will see , what EG7 thinking to it in Future

#254 Darion Rothgarr

• PipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 08:41 AM

Scaling Small Maps up by 20-25% would be nice. Just a Flat Horizontal 20-25%. Along with the Rescaling of mechs coming, thats going to help gives the sense of things being larger and more spread out.

1. Rolling Hills Maps - Undulating Areas of Hills and Valleys, Doted with Buildings, Grain Silos, Large Agricultural Structures, May be an Urban City in one section. Or a Crashed Warship, Debris and Sections Spread out all Over the Map.

2. A Tropical Forest was suggested with a Beach head. I can get behind that.

3. Barren Moon, Complete with Craters, Fantastic Lunar Structures, Drop Ship Port with a Union or Overlord on the Gantry.

4. Tropical Island Chains - This one could be fun, A Shallow Island Atole, with Water that Can Swallow Up to an Entire Atlas in places (places to cool off that hot mech at the expense of some mobility issues), Maybe a Sunken Naval vessel here and there, Some Structures and Buildings dotting around the different Islands for Salvaging *(Platforms, cranes and such).

5. Military Installation - How about a Fight over a Military Installation. Could be Vehicles, Huge Buildings, Destructible walls all Over the Place,

Edited by Darion Rothgarr, 26 March 2021 - 08:48 AM.

#255 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 26 March 2021 - 10:29 PM

View PostDarion Rothgarr, on 26 March 2021 - 08:41 AM, said:

Scaling Small Maps up by 20-25% would be nice. Just a Flat Horizontal 20-25%. Along with the Rescaling of mechs coming, thats going to help gives the sense of things being larger and more spread out.

1. Rolling Hills Maps - Undulating Areas of Hills and Valleys, Doted with Buildings, Grain Silos, Large Agricultural Structures, May be an Urban City in one section. Or a Crashed Warship, Debris and Sections Spread out all Over the Map.

2. A Tropical Forest was suggested with a Beach head. I can get behind that.

3. Barren Moon, Complete with Craters, Fantastic Lunar Structures, Drop Ship Port with a Union or Overlord on the Gantry.

4. Tropical Island Chains - This one could be fun, A Shallow Island Atole, with Water that Can Swallow Up to an Entire Atlas in places (places to cool off that hot mech at the expense of some mobility issues), Maybe a Sunken Naval vessel here and there, Some Structures and Buildings dotting around the different Islands for Salvaging *(Platforms, cranes and such).

5. Military Installation - How about a Fight over a Military Installation. Could be Vehicles, Huge Buildings, Destructible walls all Over the Place,

Thats ideas here posted since the first days from MWO ..ever ...and ever...and ever ...

questions to a Editor (The Cry SDK is free for using)...PGIs Devs has nothing Interest to this theme ,and the last Maps rubelite and Solaris looks more like the first Steps of a Mapbuilder, between 4 Other Projects...its like the most here a Dead Theme.
Was Dearon only brought back to make the sale to EG7 a bit more palatable and to fill MWO with life ? in the latest roadmaps, for example, maps play no role at all..

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/77122-custom-map-editor-available/

Map Treads

https://mwomercs.com...re-maps-please/
https://mwomercs.com...77179-new-maps/
https://mwomercs.com...4425-map-ideas/
https://mwomercs.com...maps-maps-maps/

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 26 March 2021 - 10:32 PM.

#256 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 27 March 2021 - 12:01 AM

View PostGalahad2030, on 16 November 2020 - 08:03 PM, said:

My map suggestion:

Rolling Plains in 22C (70F) temperature.

My map dynamic mechanic suggestion:

Low-G and Zero-G gravity effects on maps that are based in space (HPG).
Perhaps voteable on the map selection choices.

Throw in a few river created "canyons" but not very big canyons, more like Trenches.
change polar Highlands to Nebraska flatlands with wheat or corn as far as the eye can see
Throw in a small town on a river bank with a train corridor and viola
maybe pick a real town my vote would be for Dannebrog Nebraska , view on google map if you like.
make a contest let people submit google maps of real locations. top ten then voted on by .....yada yada yada

that is all

Edited by 3Xtr3m3, 27 March 2021 - 12:24 AM.

#257 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:08 AM

https://mwomercs.com...ghts-afterward/

feedback from the Devs

Posted Image

Idea:Incursion Tourmaline...Great idea to place the base with objectives and Walls araound in a Couldron with Terrain around thats all Higher as the Base and the Walls .

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 31 March 2021 - 02:12 AM.

#258 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 31 March 2021 - 10:13 PM

Not sure if anyone has posted this idea yet, but I was thinking that a map as large as Polar Highlands could be divided up into at least five different maps, with only the play-area a limiting factor. In all honesty, the center is used quite frequently for game modes like Domination and skirmish, but the vast majority of the map sees barely any action. [It would be interesting to see what the heat map has to say about this.]

You could create in-game barriers the same way World of Tanks does with a noticeable border and then designate the four corners as a playing 'area'. Even a map sized out to be 60% of what Polar Highlands currently is would be interesting, while also providing for quicker contact with the enemy.

#259 --GameOver

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 03:25 AM

I suggest for Alpine Peaks to add a thick cloud cover at medium altitudes. At the same time, there should be no clouds on the ground and on the tops. It will seriously complicate the task for long-range snipers who are located at high points. They will not be able to shoot from the top of the target that they do not see. For mechs with a short distance, it will be possible to bypass targets in the fog and get much closer before they are detected. This should look great!

#260 Peiper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 29 May 2021 - 02:48 PM

After seeing the great changes to the Canyonlands map, I am compelled to repeat a suggestion I made ages ago in regards to a map revision.

Crimson Straight: Suggested change.

The big mountain that blocks of the right side of the map/right of the pass when viewed from the seashore spawn points could be used as a roof to a large underground warehouse that has access on both sides of the map. (The railroad lines that go under the platform could enter, and there could be roads exiting on the other side.) This could be similar to the warehouse district in solaris VII and/or simply big a big cave with lots of containers, cranes, etc... The point being, existing graphics tools/buildings and templates, could be used to populate the interior of the mountain. Additionally, it would be a good place for a conquest point to be located.

Impetus for the change: Right now, other than the occasional push over the pass, all the fights take place around the side of the tunnel hill. My idea would create a 3rd avenue of approach AND a great place for lights/fast mechs to zoom around, flank, and scout. The tactical problems facing both sides would become greater - and far more interesting, adding to the popularity of the map.

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but the canyon map has really given me hope that some major changes could be made to maps that have built-in opportunities for growth - especially if we can show that it would cost a minimum in map-making assets / costs. The templates for the tracks, buildings, light(illumination) scaffolding (lots in mining moon map) are all there ready to be used! I am guessing the only thing missing in the templates would be a big domed or squared off roof? (Or maybe the solaris warehouse map already has one?)

Cheers

Edited by Peiper, 29 May 2021 - 02:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users