A Cheat ? ? ?

265 replies to this topic

#121 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 03:27 AM

Everyone put all armor in the rear and play as urbanmechs. Use the map to drive and keep calm and move forward.
Since torso twist is 360 you have max speed all the time. Now we only need to build the Surbanmech, 70ton of steel.

#122 technopredator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 21 March 2022 - 07:44 AM

View Postthe wee free folk, on 09 March 2022 - 12:29 AM, said:

Okay I know how this title sounds.
In the last week during matches I have heard over the comms several times something akin to "someone must be cheating, i just went from full armour to cored in less than a second!" And I have just thought oh yeah, you just didn't see the dude with twin heavy gauss at your back. But it happened to me this morning, I'm there behind a wall, then this light comes up to me, i get a lock so i know he has a **** load of small lasers, i dump 3ml and 6 mg on them there is one blast of his lasers and then PHASIZZLE im cored . . . 64 armour points through in one hit, the display comes up with you have been destroyed, displays a load of damage and hits that just can't have been there . . .

So is there a cheat out there, I play this game because it seemed fair and cheats couldn't exist.
Please tell me there is a known glitch, goodness knows this game has glitches.

Yep, me too, a light that made like over 80 damage in 1 shot or or mediums that I had IDed had made way more damage than they could and I did like 90 dmg when I clearly fired 5x and should have made 300-400 dmg on my assault; some people are cheating for sure: this is not dmg registering errors, my connection works fine

#123 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 08:27 AM

View Posttechnopredator, on 21 March 2022 - 07:44 AM, said:

Yep, me too, a light that made like over 80 damage in 1 shot

What type of a light 'Mech it was?

or or mediums that I had IDed had made way more damage than they could

Well-utilized medium 'Mech can do a surprising amount of damage.

and I did like 90 dmg when I clearly fired 5x and should have made 300-400 dmg on my assault

Maybe you fired five times, but that does not necessarily mean that you hit five times.

Also, I would like to say that some of your shots may have passed between enemy 'Mech's legs, under arms, etc. Perhaps they seemed to hit, but actually they did not.

Without a video recording, it is really hard to say.

some people are cheating for sure: this is not dmg registering errors, my connection works fine

Use this e-mail to report such player/game to PGI:
moderation@mwomercs.com

You should list the match ID, map, game mode, that player's name and 'Mech, etc.

Attaching screenshots or videos would help too.

Honestly, there is nothing else what you can do.

#124 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 08:50 AM

when a light shoots me in the back I'm usually reacting/twisting halfway through the first alpha. A lot of you don't react until after the second. This is the main problem here.

#125 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 09:01 AM

OOC how does a situation happen where i am chest to chest with a rifleman square on and i hit him with a 108 point blast at point blank range and nothing happens? i was using a novacat with 6 srm6 and 2 heavy large allaimed at ct of said rifleman. another situation was i shot a flea with 8 clan er ppc from about 100 meters and i see the bolts pass through but no damage again. am i missing something here?

#126 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 21 March 2022 - 09:03 AM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 21 March 2022 - 09:01 AM, said:

OOC how does a situation happen where i am chest to chest with a rifleman square on and i hit him with a 108 point blast at point blank range and nothing happens? i was using a novacat with 6 srm6 and 2 heavy large allaimed at ct of said rifleman. another situation was i shot a flea with 8 clan er ppc from about 100 meters and i see the bolts pass through but no damage again. am i missing something here?

Record it, report it, or both. That's the only way to make it better.

#127 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 March 2022 - 02:18 PM

View PostNomad Tech, on 20 March 2022 - 08:39 PM, said:

Try that again in 300-400 ping times.. no the server rewind does not keep up.

You keep making excuses, man. I'm sorry, but it's you. You are the problem. You are what's holding you back.

And I really don't like saying it. I've seen you in matches, you aren't screaming and yelling about how everyone that kills you is cheating. (I can think of a couple notables that were very prone to that. Don't see them around anymore, thank all that is holy.) From what I've seen, you are the kind of player I'd rather not see leave the game. You don't abuse your teammates, you don't start crap.

So, yeah, I'm not trying to be a hardass here, I'm not trying to talk down to you. I'm telling you that your difficulties against lights do not make them OP. Try playing one sometime. For that matter, if they are so OP, explain why it is that the competitive players, the ones that are all about victory, are sitting here telling you that you're wrong. And it isn't like they're trying to hold you down by giving you bad info, because they avoid using these mechs if possible. If they were OP, trust me, they'd be using them.

I've tried to post here in a respectful manner towards you, unlike a lot of the other folks here that are throwing around accusations of lying or just talking to you as if you were an imbecilic child. But even I'm losing patience, and sympathy, man. I mean, bite the bullet, admit that you have a weak point, and try to learn how to compensate for it. Or just shut up. This whole, "OMG deez mex R sew stonk!" thing you've got going on? There's a reason that no one is buying it, and I'm pretty sure it isn't because you are the one guy that realized how the competitive players are nerfing themselves by not playing lights.

/sigh

Seriously, man. The f***.

Edited by Escef, 21 March 2022 - 02:21 PM.

#128 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 March 2022 - 02:23 PM

View PostEscef, on 21 March 2022 - 02:18 PM, said:

I've seen you in matches, you aren't screaming and yelling about how everyone that kills you is cheating. (I can think of a couple notables that were very prone to that. Don't see them around anymore, thank all that is holy.)

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 21 March 2022 - 09:01 AM, said:

snip

Spoke too soon.

#129 BestenFallsKonGenial

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 01:20 AM

i witness at least 2 occations in spectator how someone puts impossible gauss shots in someones cokpit while jumpung and with 90 degrees torso twist ( about an angle of 80 degrees )

#130 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 02:19 AM

on one hand i have to assume that most instances of "cheating" are actually just skill disparities between players. but one still has to wonder how much, if at all, pgi is policing the game. they will move on hard evidence provided by players. but do pgi even go looking for it anymore? i think not, staff allocation being what it is. i think the actual cheating is a small fraction of the perceived cheating, but its very unlikely that its non-existent.

View PostBestenFallsKonGenial, on 12 May 2022 - 01:20 AM, said:

i witness at least 2 occations in spectator how someone puts impossible gauss shots in someones cokpit while jumpung and with 90 degrees torso twist ( about an angle of 80 degrees )

ive seen a lot of headshots lately, but i also moved into t2 and am coming into contact with more skilled players.

#131 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 May 2022 - 09:08 AM

View PostBestenFallsKonGenial, on 12 May 2022 - 01:20 AM, said:

The closest I've ever seen to that was someone that got twin gauss headsots on 2 mechs in rapid succession. I had no way to tell if it was just a combination of BS luck and skill, or if it genuinely was cheating. My first impulse for something that improbable was that it was cheating, but as I considered the situation I concluded that while it was improbable it was not impossible. Still, I reported it as a potential case of cheating. I figured PGI had the tools to confirm or deny my suspicions, no one just gets straight up banned for cheating based solely on the complaints of other users.

View PostLordNothing, on 12 May 2022 - 02:19 AM, said:

on one hand i have to assume that most instances of "cheating" are actually just skill disparities between players. but one still has to wonder how much, if at all, pgi is policing the game. they will move on hard evidence provided by players. but do pgi even go looking for it anymore? i think not, staff allocation being what it is. i think the actual cheating is a small fraction of the perceived cheating, but its very unlikely that its non-existent.

The problem is we have no way to know way one or other. PGI doesn't talk openly about it except on the rarest of occasions. And that is pretty much, as far as I can see, industry standard. While I disagree with the standard, I'm in no position to change it.

Looking at the bright side, and hoping I don't accidentally curse us all by mentioning it, at least we don't see trolls making new accounts and TKing people at match start anymore... I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the people behind that were disgruntled fans that decided to attempt to drive everyone away because not everyone agreed with their personal hate-***** for PGI. (My own feelings for PGI are kinda' lukewarm. They aren't a big studio, they don't make AAA titles. They don't have the budget or access to technical expertise a vocal sub-set believe they do. However, within their own limitations, they've done an ok job resurrecting the Mechwarrior franchise. Let's be honest with one another, it's a niche franchise; it's not going to attract a AAA dev or the money/attention needed to compete with Halo/CoD/GoW/etc.)

#132 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 01:26 AM

View Postmartian, on 11 March 2022 - 11:46 PM, said:

If those "overpowered" and "borderline cheating" 'Mechs are so strong, why is not the game filled with those 'Mechs?

Sadly, the game really is filled with those mechs. Every game there are at least 3-4 light mechs, mostly piranhas, urbanmechs, fleas and firestarters. And almost all of them end up having the most kills. I saw urbanmechs with like 4 kills and 800 damage multiple times in past few weeks, not even mentioning piranhas and some faster mechs. It seems that light mechs in MWO have some kind of lag shield (saw this term in old game forums talking about PPC sniping, if i get it right the game lag compensation may prevent mech from getting hit sometimes), and it is a very often situation when 4-5 assault and heavy mechs are shooting at the urbanmech or flea and these lights just dont die, the laser beams and projectiles just don't connect or something else like this happens, but this is sadly a VERY often situation.

Im playing EU servers, mostly in daytime for now, and i dont know what is happening in other regions, but servers i play in just filled with light mechs, sometimes i can be the only one assault or heavy in the entire team of fast mediums like shadow cat and lights. This is sad...

Edited by JumpingHunter, 14 July 2022 - 01:26 AM.

#133 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 02:20 AM

View PostJumpingHunter, on 14 July 2022 - 01:26 AM, said:

Sadly, the game really is filled with those mechs. Every game there are at least 3-4 light mechs, mostly piranhas, urbanmechs, fleas and firestarters. And almost all of them end up having the most kills. I saw urbanmechs with like 4 kills and 800 damage multiple times in past few weeks, not even mentioning piranhas and some faster mechs. It seems that light mechs in MWO have some kind of lag shield (saw this term in old game forums talking about PPC sniping, if i get it right the game lag compensation may prevent mech from getting hit sometimes), and it is a very often situation when 4-5 assault and heavy mechs are shooting at the urbanmech or flea and these lights just dont die, the laser beams and projectiles just don't connect or something else like this happens, but this is sadly a VERY often situation.

Im playing EU servers, mostly in daytime for now, and i dont know what is happening in other regions, but servers i play in just filled with light mechs, sometimes i can be the only one assault or heavy in the entire team of fast mediums like shadow cat and lights. This is sad...

Haven't you heard. They don't think server lag exists. That it doesn't matter if a mech is shut down

Edited by caravann, 14 July 2022 - 02:22 AM.

#134 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 02:41 AM

This is mostly a tier thing. In higher skill levels where people have good aim lights are very hard to play and tend to perform slightly worse than other classes.

In low tiers where no one has good aim, you can just run around in any mech murdering enemies that don't really shoot back.

To improve aim, one trick to start with is to set mouse sensitivity in game settings to 0.1. Default 1.0 is just absurdly twitchy.

#135 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 02:47 AM

View PostGagis, on 14 July 2022 - 02:41 AM, said:

This is mostly a tier thing. In higher skill levels where people have good aim lights are very hard to play and tend to perform slightly worse than other classes.

In low tiers where no one has good aim, you can just run around in any mech murdering enemies that don't really shoot back.

To improve aim, one trick to start with is to set mouse sensitivity in game settings to 0.1. Default 1.0 is just absurdly twitchy.

Are you saying that in-game hight mouse sensitivity is worse than mouse-specific high sensitivity or that it is just better to learn to play with extremely low sensitivity in general? Because for sniping it is better to use low sense, but for torso-twisting it is better to use high sense, as i think... It may be the difference i need, so can you explain?

Also i am in high 4 Tier, And i can not get any further, because whenever i get to Tier 3 i got instantly dropped down due to a several lost games againt high-dps ballistic weapon boats OR the swarms of light mechs. I just dont know what to do...

Edited by JumpingHunter, 14 July 2022 - 02:47 AM.

#136 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 03:10 AM

View PostJumpingHunter, on 14 July 2022 - 02:47 AM, said:

Are you saying that in-game hight mouse sensitivity is worse than mouse-specific high sensitivity or that it is just better to learn to play with extremely low sensitivity in general? Because for sniping it is better to use low sense, but for torso-twisting it is better to use high sense, as i think... It may be the difference i need, so can you explain?

Also i am in high 4 Tier, And i can not get any further, because whenever i get to Tier 3 i got instantly dropped down due to a several lost games againt high-dps ballistic weapon boats OR the swarms of light mechs. I just dont know what to do...

In general. I have a fairly high senstivity mouse and in-game set to 0.1. Some people with less sensitive mice might set it as high as 0.2 instead.

The default sensitivity is just so incredibly high you can safely lower it a lot without really losing torso twist ability, since that is bottlenecked by mech attributes in the first place.

#137 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 04:44 AM

Sadly, the game really is filled with those mechs. Every game there are at least 3-4 light mechs, mostly piranhas, urbanmechs, fleas and firestarters. And almost all of them end up having the most kills. I saw urbanmechs with like 4 kills and 800 damage multiple times in past few weeks, not even mentioning piranhas and some faster mechs.

..and? Posted Image
srsly dude: try it yourself. you have to work your a$s off to get 700+ dmg and a few kills in a lightmech.
whereas the SAME is a relaxed thing in any hvy/assault, and if you put any effort in,
you'll break the 1k-1,5k on a regular basis, not to mention the 6-9kills that go with it
(speaking strictly of the "good" matches here, as do you).

no offense, but in a game where a lightmech is 1of12 picks, the same as a hvy/assault is 1pick of 12,
it SHOULD have a fair and even chance to perform AS WELL as the rest.
and it doesn't.
yet people, as you're doing right now, complain that they do "too much".
sorry, but you have to work on your way of thinking.
try some lights yourself and see how _you_ perform in them. then post again ;)

#138 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 05:30 AM

The default mouse sensitivity is way too high..turn that away down for sure.

#139 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 07:58 AM

there are builds that can strip a mech in one shot. usually the guy getting shot shares some blame for not rolling the damage and allowing the whole burn to concentrate on one component. if you run into a vomit helby and dont keep the torso moving, thats a you problem.

#140 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 08:24 AM

A few tips here for when you move up in tiers

1. In general, the higher in tier you advance, the more mistakes are punished. Things you were able to get away with in T4/5 no longer work with the same regularity. I drop every once in a while with some friends who are T4/5 and the difference is night and day -- people standing still and staring at me from 100m away when I'm in a Fafnir and they're in a Dragon, for instance.

2. To that end, positioning becomes incredibly important. DPS ballistic weapon boats thrive when they catch you in the open, so learn where they tend to fire from and don't get caught out! Swarms of light mechs are way less scary if you're in a position to be supported by your team, or if you can pour fire on them before they get in knife-fighting range. Oftentimes in T1 you'll see lower-skilled groups run four knife-fighting Vipers -- and just as often they get blown up immediately because they rush prepared positions and face off against people who hit their shots.

3. Speaking of hitting shots -- hit your shots! Lowering mouse sensitivity will help with this quite a bit, but in general what happens is that people allow themselves to get too stressed out about it. I can tell someone is in a lower tier than I am when they fire lasers at me, for instance, and they spread the burn over three or four components like they were aiming in an earthquake. The same goes for fighting light mechs -- sure it's scary for you, but most lights are one well-aimed alpha from dying to a properly built non-LRM boat assault or heavy. Take a deep breath, aim carefully, and punish.

4. Bad MWO players have two basic habits that they either commit to full time or switch between randomly. They either YOLO alone into the enemy and die immediately or they cower and die uselessly. Your job is to figure out how to a. maneuver in such a way that you maximize the amount of time you're firing at the enemy while b. staying alive for as long as possible. This is more of an art than a science but what you want to do is aggressively move to a point where you can punish the enemy as harshly and as often as possible given your build, but also not taking bad trades or pushing into disadvantageous situations. In general if you immediately recognize a mistake (oh no, I peeked against three assault traders) and fix that mistake (therefore I'm going to twist like mad, get back into cover immediately, and reposition) you'll see much better results. Most bad MWO players will lean into the mistake (therefore I'm going to press W, not twist, and die while firing my AC/20 at 600m). Cowering is also a huge problem -- I can't count the number of times the team has been in a good position to receive a push but half of Blue abandons that position because they got scared of red blips on the minimap.

5. Look at the minimap! It seriously gives you so much information.

6. Many bad players look for excuses to lose. Oh no, we have a disconnect! Oh no, it's not the right map for my build! Oh no, the other side has a group of players I recognize! You can immediately tell when a player like that is about to throw the match because trying their best and still losing is more emotionally painful than saying "well, we never had a chance". Bull! You always have a chance and you should always make things as difficult for the enemy as possible. Not even the best players in the game win every match.

OK hope this helps!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users