265 replies to this topic

#41 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 10:37 PM

View Postcaravann, on 10 March 2022 - 10:04 PM, said:

Server lag, Won't find any evidence when recording because you were offline for a second meaning all hits on the mech is critical because of an exploit of shutdown mechs has no armor resistance. It's stupid but it's just how the gameplay works. If you get lag you die by the next shots as the mech has no protection from critical hits. They didn't bother to fix it when people uses shutdown to mechs to increase the critical damage. Heads at sudden become viable, They maybe had a lag for a fraction of a second but that's all the time it needs to destroy a head component. I just give an example of how much faster a mech is destroyed when offline. The testing ground has offline mechs and your shots only need half of the effort to be eliminated.

That's the story of sudden kills who you couldn't see coming. Because the mech was shut down for a fraction of a second and the reason why brawling won't be optimal for a long time until it has been resolved on how shutdown mechs are working. Who controls the server controls the emperor of the known worlds. What happens when you get lag? You are no longer in the game and what's happening in the game can't be seen. You are in a disadvantage because you are in the past and an enemy who knows the future is able to act faster. That's why people running with faster connection and faster computers are able to predict the future and has to wait for other players to enter the game. This game in particular proposes a pc master race and it could as well be the case that it maybe wasn't a cheat but an exploit on the limitations of the videogame. Exploits exists in almost every sport, in videogames it's about being faster than the opponent and that's why unlimited exploit in videogames shouldn't be part of the design because it won't matter if you are a good player if the opponent had to wait for your next move. That's why even if you think everything runs fine you need confirmation from both sides and that's why when looking at shots on how you were killed is done from the camera who made the kill and from the camera from who got killed. Without both sources no evidence is good enough.

Are you talking about this game or just something else? Gotta make sure this time?
Sounds like some other dream stuff.

#42 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 11:04 PM

must be dream stuff. Weird dream stuff.

#43 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 11:24 PM

View PostNomad Tech, on 10 March 2022 - 08:16 PM, said:

Overpowered
Fleas
Piranhas
Myst Lynx's
Locusts
Arctic Cheetahs
Commandos
Incubus

Some what Dangerous
Adders
Kitfoxes
Panthers
Urbanmechs
Ravens
Javelins
Wolfhounds

1) So if I count correctly, you would nerf 70% of light 'Mechs in the game. I am talking about "nerfing", but you would effectively remove those light 'Mechs from MWO, since I do not think that many players would buy big AND slow AND lightly armed light 'Mechs

2) And then there is one more thing: Firestarter

I am very surprised that you did not list Firestarter as an overperforming light 'Mech. In the recent MWO Championship, Firestarter was the most used light 'Mech and one of the most used 'Mechs in general. I kinda expected to see it on your nerf-list.

#44 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 11:52 PM

Server lag, Won't find any evidence when recording because you were offline for a second meaning all hits on the mech is critical because of an exploit of shutdown mechs has no armor resistance. It's stupid but it's just how the gameplay works. If you get lag you die by the next shots as the mech has no protection from critical hits. They didn't bother to fix it when people uses shutdown to mechs to increase the critical damage. Heads at sudden become viable, They maybe had a lag for a fraction of a second but that's all the time it needs to destroy a head component. I just give an example of how much faster a mech is destroyed when offline. The testing ground has offline mechs and your shots only need half of the effort to be eliminated.

That's the story of sudden kills who you couldn't see coming. Because the mech was shut down for a fraction of a second and the reason why brawling won't be optimal for a long time until it has been resolved on how shutdown mechs are working. Who controls the server controls the emperor of the known worlds. What happens when you get lag? You are no longer in the game and what's happening in the game can't be seen. You are in a disadvantage because you are in the past and an enemy who knows the future is able to act faster. That's why people running with faster connection and faster computers are able to predict the future and has to wait for other players to enter the game. This game in particular proposes a pc master race and it could as well be the case that it maybe wasn't a cheat but an exploit on the limitations of the videogame. Exploits exists in almost every sport, in videogames it's about being faster than the opponent and that's why unlimited exploit in videogames shouldn't be part of the design because it won't matter if you are a good player if the opponent had to wait for your next move. That's why even if you think everything runs fine you need confirmation from both sides and that's why when looking at shots on how you were killed is done from the camera who made the kill and from the camera from who got killed. Without both sources no evidence is good enough.

Obviously you have a very deep knowledge of the inner workings of MechWarrior Online.

#45 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 March 2022 - 02:48 AM

As far as I know there is 0 evidence for server lag increasing damage (or lowering armour or anything)

Mechs in the training grounds die faster because they are stock builds without full armour and because the damage isn't spread around by movement and shielding.

There are cheats in this game but being server side they are limited to things like aimbots and wall hacks that exploit client side information, they can't do things like increased damage or higher speed etc. because those things aren't handled by your local game client.

#46 Mal Bolge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 March 2022 - 09:14 AM

View PostDer Geisterbaer, on 10 March 2022 - 08:11 PM, said:

Because the entire premise of this thread was that people are describing experiences where their frontal armor (allegedly) evaporated "near instantly". So ...

Well even though the OP said he lost 64 points of armor, how do we possibly know that? Usually when mechs are in battle they get hit and damaged, so odds are that it wasn't a fresh mech. Maybe he didn't get the killing blow in the front at all, maybe the light got behind him. There's no video so we're left to speculating.

I just wanted to point out that there are light builds that can cause a huge amount of damage in a short amount of time, and maybe, just maybe, that was what happened here. And also since he referenced cheating, I got those accusations a lot when popping assaults, so that's the reason for that reference.

Oh and silly is a reference to the build, not getting 5 kills. And I'm really not that pedantic that I care about whether it is exactly 1.5 seconds or 2, lets just say it's a fast kill. And everything I say about it being a silly build, superb at popping assaults and whatnot, is just my subjective opinion, not stone cold facts. Hope that clears some stuff up.

Edited by Mal Nilsum, 11 March 2022 - 09:19 AM.

#47 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 11 March 2022 - 02:25 PM

View PostNomad Tech, on 10 March 2022 - 08:16 PM, said:

Overpowered
Fleas
Piranhas
Myst Lynx's
Locusts
Arctic Cheetahs
Commandos
Incubus

Some what Dangerous
Adders
Kitfoxes
Panthers
Urbanmechs
Ravens
Javelins
Wolfhounds

So, one group is 'somewhat dangerous', and the next group up is 'overpowered'.

Therefore, overpowered in this case=dangerous.

Translation: These lights are unfair because they are dangerous. They should just run around until I shoot them.

The roles of lights should be to help me LARP. They're like the goblins and kobolds. They're there to die without being a threat to me.

And I also have a right to run 4 back armor. It's because nobody can shoot me in the back.

Listen carefully, if you shoot me in my big, unarmored behind the size of a barn door, that's overpowered.

And I'm going to talk about it until they nerf you. So just don't do it.

If I can't get behind you (because I move at the speed of a glacier), you are NOT allowed to get behind me.

And never, and I mean NEVER, bring up the fact that I die in the first minute of the game if I jump in one of these little monsters and try to overpower you.

#48 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 March 2022 - 07:52 PM

View Postmartian, on 10 March 2022 - 11:24 PM, said:

1) So if I count correctly, you would nerf 70% of light 'Mechs in the game. I am talking about "nerfing", but you would effectively remove those light 'Mechs from MWO, since I do not think that many players would buy big AND slow AND lightly armed light 'Mechs

2) And then there is one more thing: Firestarter

I am very surprised that you did not list Firestarter as an overperforming light 'Mech. In the recent MWO Championship, Firestarter was the most used light 'Mech and one of the most used 'Mechs in general. I kinda expected to see it on your nerf-list.

Firestarters are the correct size for a light mech in MWO imo.

View PostHunka Junk, on 11 March 2022 - 02:25 PM, said:

So, one group is 'somewhat dangerous', and the next group up is 'overpowered'.

Therefore, overpowered in this case=dangerous.

Translation: These lights are unfair because they are dangerous. They should just run around until I shoot them.

The roles of lights should be to help me LARP. They're like the goblins and kobolds. They're there to die without being a threat to me.

And I also have a right to run 4 back armor. It's because nobody can shoot me in the back.

Listen carefully, if you shoot me in my big, unarmored behind the size of a barn door, that's overpowered.

And I'm going to talk about it until they nerf you. So just don't do it.

If I can't get behind you (because I move at the speed of a glacier), you are NOT allowed to get behind me.

And never, and I mean NEVER, bring up the fact that I die in the first minute of the game if I jump in one of these little monsters and try to overpower you.

Dangerous and overpowered are two different beasts, one is borderline cheating the other is not.

Edited by Nomad Tech, 11 March 2022 - 07:54 PM.

#49 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 11 March 2022 - 08:41 PM

View PostNomad Tech, on 11 March 2022 - 07:52 PM, said:

Dangerous and overpowered are two different beasts, one is borderline cheating the other is not.

just because you can't hit them doesn't mean they're cheating

#50 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 March 2022 - 09:03 PM

I would put forth that all mechs should be dangerous.

#51 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 11 March 2022 - 09:23 PM

View PostEscef, on 11 March 2022 - 09:03 PM, said:

only mechs that Nomad/MechaGnome/Samiel plays are allowed to be dangerous, everything else must feed into his fantasy of being good

#52 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 11 March 2022 - 09:25 PM

View PostEscef, on 11 March 2022 - 09:03 PM, said:

True. I note that of all the code names the Inner Sphere gave to the clan mechs when they were still unknowns, there was no Fluffy Bunny class.

#53 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 11 March 2022 - 11:46 PM

And yet, during the Championship the competetive players did not use for example Piranha or Locust, i.e. those 'Mechs that you hate so much and call "overpowered".

No, for some reason the competetive players went with Firestarter, i.e. 'Mech that you do not consider to be either "overpowered" or "somewhat dangerous".

They took Firestarter probably because they considered it to be one of the best light 'Mechs in MWO.

Piloting a fragile light 'Mech with very short ranged armament such as Locust, Flea, Piranha, etc. is maybe suicidal, but definitely not "cheating".

If those "overpowered" and "borderline cheating" 'Mechs are so strong, why is not the game filled with those 'Mechs?

#54 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 12 March 2022 - 12:16 AM

View PostMal Nilsum, on 10 March 2022 - 01:01 PM, said:

Actually yes! It is a silly build, but it works. And of course you can't burn through an assaults front CT with 97 damage, that's obvious, why even mention it? However it does a superb job of popping assaults (and any other mech) from behind. And it will strip your front armor if you are already damaged.

It is a hit and run build. You max out your heat when you have fired (again obviously) so you have to run, hide and cool of before you repeat. I think my record is 5 kills with that build. So silly yeah, but it works if you play it right, and it's insanely fun.

And I do understand the frustration of assaults getting instantly erased by a 20 tonner. No matter how you swing it, 97 pin point damage from such a small mech is just silly.

The assault pilot must have made a couple of mistakes before...
1. you need to get into his back...if he doesn't pay attention nor watch his seismic, well he deserves it, especially due to the burntime of HSLs
2. he doesn't twist

Now, what happens if an assault shows up in a back of any other mech. That mech is dead.
Also assaults can delete lights with a good alpha from game or at least cripple them. That's fun, though, right?

The point is: the sooner you don't see it as "bigger = better" but a "player vs player" setup, the less you get annoyed. Remember: there is no tonnage advantage in QP and clicking on "assault" in your mechbay is no feat which entitles you to roll over anything but an assault

Not even PGI thinks that, seeing how much structural buff that mech has.

And why do you hide behind an alt account? It doesn't help your creditability at all.

View PostNomad Tech, on 09 March 2022 - 06:24 PM, said:

With so much power creep in this since the Cauldron took over.. Its impossible to tell hacks from just stupidly overpowered builds..

On that I agree. There is a power creep but weapons systems which are boated by heavies and assaults got buffed. In each match you see a shitload of ERLL spammers sitting on the fringe of the map. In Mining Colony you see ECM DWs, Hellbringers etc sit at the very slope of the map and spam ERLL mixed in with a couple of gauss. If that doesn't say it all, I dunno.

Edited by Weeny Machine, 12 March 2022 - 04:34 AM.

#55 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 12 March 2022 - 12:47 AM

Assaults without LRMs are the right size imo.

Sitting in the back and not even playing the game, doing damage while the other people do the actual fighting is borderline cheating.

#56 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 March 2022 - 04:04 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 11 March 2022 - 09:25 PM, said:

True. I note that of all the code names the Inner Sphere gave to the clan mechs when they were still unknowns, there was no Fluffy Bunny class.

Frankly, I would be scared s***less of anything that was called that.

#57 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 13 March 2022 - 04:52 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 11 March 2022 - 09:25 PM, said:

That's the other clan no one speaks about...

#58 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 March 2022 - 05:10 PM

View Postpattonesque, on 11 March 2022 - 09:23 PM, said:

only mechs that Nomad/MechaGnome/Samiel plays are allowed to be dangerous, everything else must feed into his fantasy of being good

You have serious issues.

View PostWeeny Machine, on 12 March 2022 - 12:16 AM, said:

The assault pilot must have made a couple of mistakes before...
1. you need to get into his back...if he doesn't pay attention nor watch his seismic, well he deserves it, especially due to the burntime of HSLs
2. he doesn't twist

Now, what happens if an assault shows up in a back of any other mech. That mech is dead.
Also assaults can delete lights with a good alpha from game or at least cripple them. That's fun, though, right?

The point is: the sooner you don't see it as "bigger = better" but a "player vs player" setup, the less you get annoyed. Remember: there is no tonnage advantage in QP and clicking on "assault" in your mechbay is no feat which entitles you to roll over anything but an assault

Not even PGI thinks that, seeing how much structural buff that mech has.

And why do you hide behind an alt account? It doesn't help your creditability at all.

On that I agree. There is a power creep but weapons systems which are boated by heavies and assaults got buffed. In each match you see a shitload of ERLL spammers sitting on the fringe of the map. In Mining Colony you see ECM DWs, Hellbringers etc sit at the very slope of the map and spam ERLL mixed in with a couple of gauss. If that doesn't say it all, I dunno.

Its not an alt account.. Alt accounts don't own over 350 mechs.
Posted Image

View PostHunka Junk, on 12 March 2022 - 12:47 AM, said:

Assaults without LRMs are the right size imo.

Sitting in the back and not even playing the game, doing damage while the other people do the actual fighting is borderline cheating.

Luckily i dislike lrms.. and never use them.. if i must use missiles i use SRMs as they are at least useful.

Edited by Nomad Tech, 13 March 2022 - 05:24 PM.

#59 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 13 March 2022 - 06:29 PM

View PostNomad Tech, on 13 March 2022 - 05:10 PM, said:

You have serious issues.

just shoot the light :)

#60 pbiggz

• Overlord