Should Radar Deprivation Be Slightly Reduced To Help Lockon Weapons?

182 replies to this topic

#161 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 01:39 AM

View PostDrenath, on 03 October 2022 - 11:26 PM, said:

While not all lights are knifie-wielding Piranhas, I'd certainly be open to other buffs for lights, but it's nonsense that NO rear-facing sensors are available in a game where people largely neglect back armor.

Well there is rear-facing sensor called Seismic sensors and stripping back armor is an optional, if a player doesn't have good awareness maybe they shouldn't strip that much of that back armor.

Target Retention (It is still in this new skill tree?) might help?
Also using that mentioned UAV.

#162 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 01:45 AM

I think it's a problem that NARC's are basically hard-countered by a single AMS.

If I remember correctly single AMS is not able to take down NARC.

I don't think it's a problem that an anti-missile system works precisely as described.

It kinda is, because it is the only weapon type that has that kind of hard counter, if we add anti-energyweapon system and anti-ballistic system in the game no problem.

#163 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 02:19 AM

View PostCurccu, on 04 October 2022 - 01:45 AM, said:

It kinda is, because it is the only weapon type that has that kind of hard counter, if we add anti-energyweapon system and anti-ballistic system in the game no problem.

We'll get those the same day we get lock-on energy weapons and ballistics.

#164 Drenath

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 88 posts
  • LocationIL-US

Posted 04 October 2022 - 12:35 PM

View PostCurccu, on 04 October 2022 - 01:39 AM, said:

Seismic sensors
Definitely a nice-to-have in many situations. What if being shot from any angle while you have a BAP put the damage source on your radar with a seismic-like indicator?

If I remember correctly single AMS is not able to take down NARC.
I'd be curious if anyone knows for sure. I'd lean toward sufficient AMS making NARC'd less scary not because it's a hard counter, but because it can take out incoming missiles once you're NARC'd.

I think we have a different definition of hard and soft counters.

Edited by Drenath, 04 October 2022 - 12:36 PM.

#165 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 11:35 PM

View PostDrenath, on 04 October 2022 - 12:35 PM, said:

Definitely a nice-to-have in many situations. What if being shot from any angle while you have a BAP put the damage source on your radar with a seismic-like indicator?

That is way more reasonable request, still very powerful tool... Maybe have very short range by default and tie it with enhanced ECM(& BAP) nodes to make it better.

View PostDrenath, on 04 October 2022 - 12:35 PM, said:

I think we have a different definition of hard and soft counters.

Have a duo of Corsair-7As against lurmers and they can just pretty much eject because they cannot do ****.
With some missile damage events I have done this with friends and yeah AMS goes BRRRRRRRRRRRRR and very few missiles goes through. So with enough AMS I would say it is pretty much hard counter Specially if enemy team relies on NARC which has no chance to go through unless shot pointblank.

#166 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 05 October 2022 - 05:18 AM

I imagine it's already been said in this topic, but still 9 pages alter it probably need to be said again so it isn't lost amidst all the various ramblings:

RADAR DEPRIVATION is incredibly underwhelming and non ECM mechs must take just two points in that skill tree so they get the first node of Radardep. not because Radardep is good by its explicit features but because a hidden feature: having just one node will make your cockpit beep when someone loses you as a target which acts as a sixth sense that alerts you when someone is stalking you. THIS IS PARAMOUNT, lock on lose time not so much. To sprinkle salt on the injury of Radar Deprivation if you have ECM you obviously need to invest in the related nodes but since you have ECM radar deprivation is even more useless to you.

#167 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,795 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 08:43 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 04 October 2022 - 02:19 AM, said:

We'll get those the same day we get lock-on energy weapons and ballistics.

I remember PGI toying with the idea of lasers needing lock-ons to dish out the full damage.

Maybe two years ago?

#168 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 06 October 2022 - 12:11 AM

View Postmartian, on 05 October 2022 - 08:43 AM, said:

I remember PGI toying with the idea of lasers needing lock-ons to dish out the full damage.

Maybe two years ago?

Way more than two if I remember correctly, that whole heat overhaul attempt thing actually IMO had few good things that could have been implemented in the game. But PGI decided to trash whole idea.

I think it was part of this project... https://mwomercs.com...aw-pts-archive/

Edited by Curccu, 06 October 2022 - 12:26 AM.

#169 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,795 posts

Posted 06 October 2022 - 05:54 AM

View PostCurccu, on 06 October 2022 - 12:11 AM, said:

Way more than two if I remember correctly, that whole heat overhaul attempt thing actually IMO had few good things that could have been implemented in the game. But PGI decided to trash whole idea.

I think it was part of this project... https://mwomercs.com...aw-pts-archive/

Time flies so quickly ... Posted Image

But from some reason I thought they returned to that idea for a short moment maybe two or three years ago. I guess it was really in 2016.

#170 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 694 posts

Posted 06 October 2022 - 08:50 PM

While not all lights are knifie-wielding Piranhas, I'd certainly be open to other buffs for lights, but it's nonsense that NO rear-facing sensors are available in a game where people largely neglect back armor. I think it's a problem that NARC's are basically hard-countered by a single AMS. I don't think it's a problem that an anti-missile system works precisely as described.

I don't mind AMS as a counter for LRMs, that means that someone who doesn't like getting hit has taken active steps to stop it. If everyone on a team were to commit one to one and a half tons to stopping missiles it would take an extraordinary amount of throw weight to get through that, but people usually value that *one* more heatsink far more strongly.

But radar dep and target decay nodes should just not exist. For that matter -- while it is by far the strongest against LRMs! -- radar dep. also causes issues with obtaining paperdolls, since with 100% RD every time someone breaks LOS you have to reacquire that stuff from scratch.

I wouldn't mind seeing an increase in the actual ECM node-count either, to get the same benefit as current. It's just such a powerful system, and the sensor range boost you take to get there is by no means bad in its own right and could IMO be argued as a reasonable pick after your primary firepower/survival ones without the consideration of reaching ECM. Information wins battles.

#171 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 October 2022 - 09:52 PM

to quote an in universe propaganda series

"Information is Ammunition"

#172 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 07 October 2022 - 05:59 AM

View PostSteve Pryde, on 12 August 2022 - 12:15 PM, said:

100% Radar Deprivation nullifys even target decay skill notes completely which is just ********.

It even would make a sense:
You have to be very "silent" to not to be seen! And for that you can not have a 2000km radar spotting as that would mean you Radar-System is polluting the whole planet!

You can/should not have both, either you are stealthy and or you are clearvoiant!
And for an ECM-Scout it would mean you can only have 25% advantage of both as the ECM also counts as an advantage!

By the way, I am an ECM-runner in nearly any Mech I can!

View PostSteve Pryde, on 12 August 2022 - 12:15 PM, said:

And for me, lock on weapons, specially lrms/atms, need a complete rework. Fire&forget mechanic would be a nice start like in the older Mechwarrior games.

https://www.sarna.ne...cquisition_Gear

It would be enough IF PGI would implement the TAG as it is, it can LIGHT UP anything and has the DISADVANTAGE that you can see the Mech is firing it!

But the moment and ECM-Mech is near you, even the TAG does not function!

And THERE IS NO SUCH THING IN THE RULES!

There is always a risk to face a Pilot which offers some energy-slot for a TAG and that even a 1 Second PPC Flea can face its death in an encounter!

That would make me accept that a flea can fire any PPC in 1 second steams....

#173 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,421 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 10 December 2022 - 11:25 AM

With the Dec-2022 patch reducing the potential maximum Radar Deprivation, I believe that this trend can continue until 'maximum' Radar Deprivation drops down to 75% (ie: 5x Skill Nodes @ 15% Radar Deprivation).

Specific mechs would have +20% to +25% Radar Deprivation quirks, thus making those mechs actually more worthwhile to use!
eg: Light: Flea, Commando, Jenner IIC (selected variants)
eg: Medium: Cicada, Phoenix Hawk (selected variants)
eg: Hellbringer, Night Gyr (selected variants)
eg: Blood Asp, Dire Wolf (selected variants)

==>Finally, how about giving some Inner Sphere Assaults +25% Radar Deprivation quirk? Currently there are none.
eg: Atlas, Stalker, and Nightstar? Posted Image

Edited by w0qj, 10 December 2022 - 11:29 AM.

#174 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 December 2022 - 04:30 PM

No remove the group lock on and make it like tabletop.

#175 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 04:56 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 12 August 2022 - 05:11 AM, said:

Who TF is not maxing out Radar Derp these days? Skill-Tree has been optimized with less clutter, it's easier to get now. Back then I can only take 1 node by investing 5 and I needed 7 for 2 as my minimum default, now I can get 2 nodes with the same 5 nodes.

I only run 1 node, but I also only play to engage at brawling/srm distance so the times I happen upon LRMs beyond the point of approach its usually too close for the lrms to make any difference to me. 20% usually just lets them waste some salvos into whatever cover I have up until that point. Honestly probably take more LRM damage in the back from clan boats that can't comprehend that those ones have a much lower trajectory - or they just don't care.

Will note that it also doesn't hurt that I'm reset to lower tiers, LRMs are 95%+ on pure LRM boats so honestly they wouldn't make much difference if there was radar derp or ECM in the game, those players are going to get run over or get their ammo burnt up into walls.

Maybe I'll get more points if I stick around long enough to get into higher tier grouping, but if its anything like it was last time I was up there LRMs are all but non-existent other than for events anyhow.

#176 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 05:15 PM

View Postmartian, on 05 October 2022 - 08:43 AM, said:

Maybe two years ago?

yea i remember that. i believe they were working on ghost heat alternatives. may have been part of the power draw pts (though im pretty sure they dropped the idea pretty quick, idk if i played on that one).

#177 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 10 December 2022 - 10:36 PM

Well radar derp got an ever so slight nerf and with all nodes you drop off radar 95% faster instead of 100%. Not quite sure what this is meant to do since the effective difference in dropping off the scope is only going to be milliseconds.

#178 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 04:41 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 10 December 2022 - 10:36 PM, said:

Well radar derp got an ever so slight nerf and with all nodes you drop off radar 95% faster instead of 100%. Not quite sure what this is meant to do since the effective difference in dropping off the scope is only going to be milliseconds.

Not a big change, but It is meant to stop mechs from breaking lock by going out of sight for just a split second. So stuff like small rocks or poles or other mechs going inbetween really fast won't cause lock to drop.

#179 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 December 2022 - 12:01 PM

nice to see them doing something beneficial for lock-on weapons for nice instead of just nerfing them into the ground all the time.

i still think it should be max of 80% with all nodes and having a few mechs with Radar derp querks tossed in.

#180 MechMaster059

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 05:56 PM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 11 December 2022 - 12:01 PM, said:

i still think it should be max of 80% with all nodes and having a few mechs with Radar derp querks tossed in.

Correct.

"Nerfed" to 19% per node? What a joke.

Edited by MechMaster059, 11 December 2022 - 05:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users