Ngngtv Podcast With Matt And Daeron

127 replies to this topic

#21 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 06:37 AM

Finally a map that looks like decently laide out terrain, the purple is ugly but at least it looks like a layout that will be less guided towards -fight at this point-.
-- Can he remove/open up the gate areas on FP maps and add them to QP, there really needs to be more maps to see and even though those wouldn't be super awesome they are still better than the worst maps. Should be less work than new maps to add a few more in shorter order.

Badges should be decals - no idea why that wasn't done from the start.

Given DATA's recent rant thread, which I'm sure what carried on wherever cauldron congregates, I don't think they should have anything to do with MM at all. That post should make you reconsider whether they (or at least he) should have anything to do with weapon/mech balance either.

As far as larger groups (and FP) go - why do you run those as styles of events/event queue on the weeks/weekends away from your other event queues?
Same with the solaris event weekends, why isn't this advancing people towards achievements at least in solaris? Otherwise it gets boring pretty fast if you don't need c-bills/xp any longer.

Still not sold on "Legends". The cost for the mechs w/"battlepass" is far more reasonable though.
---We should be able to have a way to tag our own mechs, we've been asking for this since you announced Yen-Lo-Wang.

Can we get the original lines of mechs expanded? Shouldn't require a massive amount of development and there's a pile of mechs that would fit better into the power creep or just flat out offer a different play to mechs that have been around since the start. Also based on your description of the mech builds from the development standpoint (built around a single file) some of those mixed tech mechs should be possible even if it requires some locked features like omnis have.

#22 Paul Meyers DEST

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 07:33 AM

1st and cheapest way to improve matchmaker would be to increase the PSR Cap, but maybe it is too much effort to enter 1 number.

#23 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 11 March 2023 - 08:13 AM

View PostAlreech, on 11 March 2023 - 04:05 AM, said:

even 4 player groups because those cheat with private VOIPs and teamwork (a no go in any team based shooter).

I will never understand how voip is cheating, for one you have the same option in the game, and second, its all about team work. since when teamwork is cheating? please explain

View PostMarsThunder, on 11 March 2023 - 06:20 AM, said:

Yep, 12:0 is not enough! We want 12:-1

did stomps went away in any form? cause i see daily them, and there rarely a 4 man group. if that size of the group frightens yu, then just create a new tier, higher that tier 1, call it elite or whatever, where full groups are allowed. and you can select as you select regions, if you want to be included in that pool or not.

I dont think it is fair to punish team play and groups because some people cannotimprove their game. we got stomped, multiple times in a row, each one challenged us to be better. but i think this comes with life experience, cannot ask it from younger people...

#24 Steel Shanks

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 61 posts
  • LocationConnaught, FWL

Posted 11 March 2023 - 11:21 AM

Saw the Podcast yesterday... Gods be good PGI, what? Just... Terrible...

Look, Groups is NOT an issue for God's sake... At least in Tier 3-5 where I play. Having a 4-Man or 2-Man does not decide battles. Team Cooperation does, and if I didn't Group Up with Teammates, I'd never win a match, or secure kills. No one on Comms, no coordination, etc. Thankfully I started a Unit, so that I could coordinate and not loose all the time.

8 vs. 8 has been voted on, and it looses every time... No one wants less. 3 Lances, or 12 vs. 12 is great, hell 20 vs. 20 would be excellent as well...

I don't give a Rats-Fig about Event Que... Legendary is terrible, with terrible Mechs... They are Cauldron abominations... How bout some Mechs from ACTUAL BATTLETECH for Legendary Mechs... Like, Idk a big Dire Whale colored Blue with a big A painted on it? Know what I'm talking about? Or a big Black Marauder? These first two Legendary Mech's are terrible...

I've given up on improving Matchmaker... Clearly it is impossible...

How bout FACTION BASED things? Make Players WANT to play for Marik, Davion, Steiner, etc. Faction Mechs? In PROPER Faction Colors? Like a Griffin in Marik Militia Scheme? Not the TERRIBLE Marik Scheme ye have in MW5, with that Gods awful Green? Ye know what I'm talking about PGI...

I just... I don't understand why ye guys go in terrible directions... Why? Just disappointing... Maybe it is time to move on from MWO... I'm not sure...

#25 Steel Shanks

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 61 posts
  • LocationConnaught, FWL

Posted 11 March 2023 - 11:27 AM

Canon Builds for Faction Play would be great too... Not this "Hey Six ER Large Lasers on half a team of Mechs..." Tired of the STUPID Meta Builds... Faction Play should have Canon Builds, open to Every Player, so that they can advance in their Faction. What do I mean?

Trebuchet-7M; Stock Build, or LIMITED customization... I.E. Light Engine, so lower LRM's to 10's maybe etc. To allow the Tonnage for a Light Engine. Ye get the drift...

#26 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 11 March 2023 - 12:07 PM

@Daeron

I feel you brother, still on a 4790k machine, my GPU carries me through for now, but DDR3 really ages my machine.

#27 -K H A N

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 12:57 PM

View PostSteel Shanks, on 11 March 2023 - 11:27 AM, said:

Canon Builds for Faction Play would be great too... Not this "Hey Six ER Large Lasers on half a team of Mechs..." Tired of the STUPID Meta Builds... Faction Play should have Canon Builds, open to Every Player, so that they can advance in their Faction. What do I mean?

Trebuchet-7M; Stock Build, or LIMITED customization... I.E. Light Engine, so lower LRM's to 10's maybe etc. To allow the Tonnage for a Light Engine. Ye get the drift...

No.Just really really bad. You want to bring garbage into FP go for it. just dont cry about it when you get slaughtered. Dont make the rest of us play your rubbish tabletop fantasy crap.

#28 Steel Shanks

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 61 posts
  • LocationConnaught, FWL

Posted 11 March 2023 - 02:31 PM

View Post-K H A N, on 11 March 2023 - 12:57 PM, said:

No.Just really really bad. You want to bring garbage into FP go for it. just dont cry about it when you get slaughtered. Dont make the rest of us play your rubbish tabletop fantasy crap.

Ah yeah, the rubbish tabletop that is the sole reason for THIS very game to exist... Yeah... What was I thinking... Without tabletop BattleTech there'd be no Mechwarrior Online...

Stick to yer 6 ER Larges then, lots of skill using a build like that lol...

#29 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 11 March 2023 - 03:22 PM

If there is an MW6 Clan Invasion, you guys are going to need a Turkina model for the Falcons, it is needed and only fair. Just saying.

#30 ShooteyMcShooterson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 06:37 PM

I literally don't care what else they do to the matchmaker, just so long as they get the groups out of QP. Group queue should be its own queue, or not exist in quick play mode at all. They never should have been there in the first place.

#31 ShooteyMcShooterson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 06:44 PM

View Postsmokefield, on 10 March 2023 - 10:40 PM, said:

just throwing my 2 cents here:

1. biggest issue: not allowing bigger groups in QP drove off a lot of my team. that was the fun while playing this game.

we need bigger groups back and here is an idea that can combine both drop decks and bigger groups. meaning define OR a total number of mechs available OR max tonnage in the dropship per that game.

Condition: 8 man max group for QP:

Case 1: Mech number limit: 24 total mechs per game per 12 man team(2 per player).

from the pool of 24 mechs you allocate a percentage based on how big the group is.

8 man - can field only 12 mechs. that means after the 1st round only 4 players from that team will drop again. make it random so all of them have mechs ready. it will add even a twist cause you never know who will be picked to drop.
the rest of 4 solo players will have the other 12 mechs - that means they can drop with 3 mechs in that game. Plenty of balance vs those in a bigger group.

Obviously the numbers can be adjusted.

Case 2: tonnage limit 2400 tons

8 man ca field only 1000 tons per game. apply the logic above but this time they can choose lighter mechs so all 8 can drop twice (with 2 mech per game max). the rest of tonnage - 1400 tons - goes to the 4 solo players split equally->350 tons per player. so each can drop as many mechs as they want in 350 tons. 3 x100 + 1x 50.

above numbers are not balanced at all, just to make my point.

If they make it even easier for groups to troll QP, I will flat out quit playing.

Groups never should have been put in the quick play solo queue. From the perspective of a casual player, it's far and away the biggest mistake they've ever made. Every casual player knows after playing QP for a while that it's pointless. You're either one of the tryhards in a group farming everyone else, or you're the meat. QP soup queue is a total bullsh*t game mode anymore.

View Postthe check engine light, on 10 March 2023 - 11:19 PM, said:

I'm not sticking around to pad out your group drops.

Preach!

View Postsycocys, on 11 March 2023 - 06:37 AM, said:

Given DATA's recent rant thread, which I'm sure what carried on wherever cauldron congregates, I don't think they should have anything to do with MM at all. That post should make you reconsider whether they (or at least he) should have anything to do with weapon/mech balance either.

Where's that? Here on the forum, or elsewhere?

Edited by ShooteyMcShooterson, 11 March 2023 - 07:02 PM.

#32 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 11:53 PM

Asking an engineer to look at MM is like asking a mechanic to look at a rocket. You need a mathematician or statistician.

#33 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 March 2023 - 01:00 AM

View Postthe check engine light, on 10 March 2023 - 11:19 PM, said:

**** it. Requesting account termination. This isn't getting better.
You realize that the Quick Play leaderboards are public and therefore it's pretty clear you haven't played 10 QP matches in any given calendar month since mid-2016? https://leaderboard....0engine%20light

#34 P H O T O N

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 01:03 AM

How about rebranding 'quick play' to 'rated play' as that is what it is if we are being honest with ourselves. That way those who enter rated play unprepared (with unskilled mechs, experimental builds, in casual groups, or solo) will then have nothing to complain about. Additionally, why not turn the matchmaker off as it causes so much consternation. If the matches were made randomly in the long run they would by definition be fair. In my opinion tiers *should* be mixed in games - the tier stratification and the matchmaker in my opinion have only served to impede the success of this game.

Another thought, get rid of 'faction play' - it's a half-baked game mode that gives the impression of greater team coordination but is in fact less coordinated than 'quick play' as the meta game and strats are so simple (particularly for siege). Instead perhaps consider a persistent 'drop deck' game mode, like we've seen in the event queue, but with no silly physics. That will allow players to skill mechs and accumulate C-Bills without tanking their in game stats on which they will be judged.

Just a few thoughts.

Edited by P H O T O N, 12 March 2023 - 02:34 AM.

#35 -K H A N

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 01:41 AM

View PostSteel Shanks, on 11 March 2023 - 02:31 PM, said:

Ah yeah, the rubbish tabletop that is the sole reason for THIS very game to exist... Yeah... What was I thinking... Without tabletop BattleTech there'd be no Mechwarrior Online...

Stick to yer 6 ER Larges then, lots of skill using a build like that lol...
Just silly. It doesnt matter this game was inspired from an old tabletop game (which I had with the cardboard and plastic stands) This is a COMPUTER game.Hysterical muppet. And I will enjoy destroying your rubbish mixed bag of crap mech from great range.I dont have a 6 ERLL mech,But Im going to make one now.

#36 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 04:53 AM

View Postsmokefield, on 11 March 2023 - 08:13 AM, said:

I will never understand how voip is cheating, for one you have the same option in the game, and second, its all about team work. since when teamwork is cheating? please explain

No causual player in quickplay is using MWOs build in VOIP.
First most players use funny names no one can remember or pronounce, second why bothering with memorizing the names if the team has total different players in the next match?
Third no one is listening if you tell them via VOIP "name" there is an enemy behind you...

Also not all players in the team speak the same language (english & french in north america, english, french, german, italian, spanish in europe) and not all players know how to communicate via voip (using grid coordinates instead their own mechs orientation, ect...)

Players in a group mostly have their own private VOIP solution like Teamspeak or Discord, know each other and can communicate much better. They can also coordinate their mech loadouts so that they have compatible speed and weapons and at least one mech carries ECM and stuff like TAG/NARC spotters and LRM mechs work.
Causual players that drop into quickplay don't have that privilege of good communication and coordination, so groups should not be in quickplay.
Removing groups from quickplay and let have the causuals quickplay as playground is the obvious solution to that problem.

Edited by Alreech, 12 March 2023 - 04:56 AM.

#37 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,367 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 12 March 2023 - 06:11 AM

So are we going to have a preview of the 20-Level Legendary Mech "skill tree" system (or whatever you call it)?

Edited by w0qj, 12 March 2023 - 06:12 AM.

#38 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 06:19 AM

<Message deleted; duplicate posting; sorry!>

Edited by w0qj, 12 March 2023 - 06:20 AM.

#39 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 06:27 AM

Dear MWO, please allow a player the option to buy more than one Legendary Mech of the same type!

eg: If the Fafnir Juggernaut FNR-J mech + quirk is good, I might buy two (2) of this said mech!

From what I've seen, if it also has great ammo quirk, I just might buy more than 1 of these!
eg:
+50% MG ammo quirk, and
+50% ammo for all ballistic weapons (especially for AC2 / AC5 ammo)

#40 Divkrd

• PipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 12 March 2023 - 07:13 AM

View PostAlreech, on 12 March 2023 - 04:53 AM, said:

No causual player in quickplay is using MWOs build in VOIP.
First most players use funny names no one can remember or pronounce, second why bothering with memorizing the names if the team has total different players in the next match?
Third no one is listening if you tell them via VOIP "name" there is an enemy behind you...

Also not all players in the team speak the same language (english & french in north america, english, french, german, italian, spanish in europe) and not all players know how to communicate via voip (using grid coordinates instead their own mechs orientation, ect...)

Players in a group mostly have their own private VOIP solution like Teamspeak or Discord, know each other and can communicate much better. They can also coordinate their mech loadouts so that they have compatible speed and weapons and at least one mech carries ECM and stuff like TAG/NARC spotters and LRM mechs work.
Causual players that drop into quickplay don't have that privilege of good communication and coordination, so groups should not be in quickplay.
Removing groups from quickplay and let have the causuals quickplay as playground is the obvious solution to that problem.

You confused "casual players" with "noobs". I'm a casual, and im nowhere near to what you're talking about. You're trying to hide your incompetence and inablity to adapt behind word "casual", but in fact you're just another lazy person, who thinks that the only way to play the game, is your way, like with groups for example, you basicaly saying: "i'm too lazy to learn how to fight groups, remove them so i could have fun without bothering about anything". How about "NO"? There are plenty of people who only play this game because they can group up with friends, not everyone in this community is socialy awkward sociophobe.

Everyone in QP have the same "privilege of good communication and coordination", that's your fault that you're not using it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users