Patch Notes - 1.4.286.0 - 21-November-2023

161 replies to this topic

#41 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 475 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 07:36 AM

Another clearly LRM hating map, more HAG boosts, another Legendary gets hobbled by nerfs, Command Console and Coolshot getting castrated....

You guys almost had me pulling out my credit card again with this last sale, but this patch puts and end to that for sure.

Just brutal.... :(

#42 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 07:42 AM

View PostPsionicMantis, on 18 November 2023 - 07:09 AM, said:

Wasnt there something about a nerf to clan double heatsinks going around, or am i misremembering something?
Obviously, not in this patch. Maybe later.

View PostPraetorGix, on 18 November 2023 - 07:19 AM, said:

Who is making these changes?
So-called Cauldron.

View PostPraetorGix, on 18 November 2023 - 07:19 AM, said:

Is Paul back on the balance team?
The last thing I heard about him some time ago was that had something to do with MechWarrior 5.

View PostAn6ryMan69, on 18 November 2023 - 07:36 AM, said:

You guys almost had me pulling out my credit card again with this last sale, but this patch puts and end to that for sure.

Just brutal.... Posted Image
Voting with your wallet is always the most effective thing that you can do.

#43 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 18 November 2023 - 08:09 AM

I wonder if the LRMs will scrape the roof of the cave on Bearclaw II?

Looks like another brawl-only map.. It's becoming very clear where the direction of this game is going.. At this point, why not simply remove missiles from the game altogether? Why not just leave ballistics and be done with it?

I will be very surprised if the new map ends up being any better than Solaris for your average Lurmer..

#44 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 08:20 AM

View PostFrost_Byte, on 18 November 2023 - 01:51 AM, said:

The gausszilla nerf was needed. It's currently the strongest QP assault in the game. That mech is my child and I'm very sad to have taken part in the nerf, but it was definitely a problem lol.

WOW.. big shock there... Posted Image

Who would have thought that a 5 Gauss mech would be "a problem"... Please, say it ain't so! That mech is not a child, it's a bloody abomination that should never have been.. But alas, the whole game is leaning to ballistic absurdity, while most other weapons and older mech designs are being left behind in the dust..

I know Battletech as a setting has an inherent powercreep built into it, but can you imagine a 5 Gauss mech being played in... MW5? Where the weapon relationship is more as it should be? It would erase it's opposition from the multiverse with a single shot.

But in MWO, it's all about that e-sport, and that's the biggest mistake made in this game. And it inherently produces "gauszilla" like abominations that would be considered OP anywhere else..

And in the end.. if you love your "child" so much, why don't you guys do a LRM lover's equivalent to Gausszilla? Why not do a LRM200 mech? It would be equally absurd, no?

#45 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 08:23 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 18 November 2023 - 08:20 AM, said:

Who would have thought that a 5 Gauss mech would be "a problem"... Please, say it ain't so! That mech is not a child, it's a bloody abomination that should never have been.. But alas, the whole game is leaning to ballistic absurdity, while most other weapons and older mech designs are being left behind in the dust..

5 GR mech is not a problem... 4xHAG30 mech with GOOD quirks is a problem.

#46 Al_Bundy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Force Commander
  • Force Commander
  • 135 posts
  • LocationBasel

Posted 18 November 2023 - 08:39 AM

That's all well and good, but what really annoys me a lot - changes to the Legendary Mechs that were bought for real money - whether they are good or bad, such Mechs that were paid for with real money should have one for EVERY change refund will be offered.

It can't be that a product is being sold here that is simply changed afterwards, that doesn't create trust in the whole thing.

Sell OP mechs, take the money and then weaken it...that's not a sustainable business policy

translate by google

#47 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 08:56 AM

View PostAl_Bundy, on 18 November 2023 - 08:39 AM, said:

That's all well and good, but what really annoys me a lot - changes to the Legendary Mechs that were bought for real money - whether they are good or bad, such Mechs that were paid for with real money should have one for EVERY change refund will be offered.

It can't be that a product is being sold here that is simply changed afterwards, that doesn't create trust in the whole thing.

Sell OP mechs, take the money and then weaken it...that's not a sustainable business policy

translate by google

When you created your account, you agreed that "PGI ... may change, modify, disable, suspend or remove any such content, feature, service or server" whenever they wish to do so.

#48 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 09:01 AM

translate by google

You clearly have not been playing this game since the beginning.. literally every mech that ever came out had the same business model.. it would be OP when it came out, then nerfed upon release for cbills...

That's standard practice in MWO..

And not only that.. but if they were releasing a mech that had a particular weapon's loadout or playstyle built into it's design.. the balance meta would be shifted to support it..

I know this is a free to play game, but there is a significant Pay2Win element in it..

Even so, it's still one of the less pay2win MMO games out there...

#49 MrFatBard

• PipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 09:11 AM

i wish the vindicator would get as much love as the orion, that mech used to be great a few years ago but it hasnt gotten any love from the gigaquirk squad Posted Image

#50 LiveeviL81

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 09:29 AM

Noticed the removal of the Lower Arm Actuators from the CN9-YLW, will that disable the left to right movement from the arms or just limit the total travel?

#51 Mechwarrior2342356

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 09:48 AM

Coolshot nerf: good call, about time I think. Succinct and reasonable rationale.

I know Battletech as a setting has an inherent powercreep built into it, but can you imagine a 5 Gauss mech being played in... MW5? Where the weapon relationship is more as it should be? It would erase it's opposition from the multiverse with a single shot.

But in MWO, it's all about that e-sport, and that's the biggest mistake made in this game. And it inherently produces "gauszilla" like abominations that would be considered OP anywhere else..

And in the end.. if you love your "child" so much, why don't you guys do a LRM lover's equivalent to Gausszilla? Why not do a LRM200 mech? It would be equally absurd, no?

Can you stop daring the universe to demonstrate how things could be worse? I assure you it will ******* show you if you do that.

Edited by the check engine light, 18 November 2023 - 09:57 AM.

#52 Praetor Andreas

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBavaria

Posted 18 November 2023 - 10:01 AM

Patch notes 1.4.285.0
10 years of MWO?

When will the patch comes for:
Reactivation Mech Collision, (works at low center of gravity)
10 years disconnecton bug, or faster rejoin with reduced load time,
Server latency, leg shield, hit geometry,
Xpulselaser DPS equal to the C-pulse laser?
I'm still waiting.

#53 Frost_Byte

• 68 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 10:49 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 18 November 2023 - 08:09 AM, said:

I wonder if the LRMs will scrape the roof of the cave on Bearclaw II?

Looks like another brawl-only map.. It's becoming very clear where the direction of this game is going.. At this point, why not simply remove missiles from the game altogether? Why not just leave ballistics and be done with it?

I will be very surprised if the new map ends up being any better than Solaris for your average Lurmer..

I've played on the map a few times to test things. The ceiling is much higher than it looks in the promo images, LRMs will work fine if you have a lock and the target is in the open. There is a fair bit of hard cover that you can use though. For LRM effectiveness, I'd probably rank this map somewhere near Viridian Bog. Workable, but not as powerful as they are on a map with huge open areas like Tourmaline or Grim Plexus.

Gausszilla is actually a lore variant, been around longer than MWO as far as how canon it is. The 5 gauss build isn't a problem, that's actually a pretty weak build on it. 4 HAG30 is a very problematic build on it though and we have to address that.

translate by google

I don't think you've been paying attention to the Gausszilla balance since its release then :P
The mech came out in July with Gauss only quirks and no armor quirks. When HAGs came out in August, we buffed the Gausszilla by upgrading the quirks from Gauss only to Gauss + HAG. In September patch, we gave it armor quirks. Now that we saw we overbuffed it with the HAG change, the quirks go from Gauss + HAG to Gauss only. It still has the armor.

The mech is still stronger than it was when it came out in July.

View PostAn6ryMan69, on 18 November 2023 - 07:36 AM, said:

Another clearly LRM hating map, more HAG boosts, another Legendary gets hobbled by nerfs, Command Console and Coolshot getting castrated....

The Command Console was the single most useless item in the game. Statistically, it is the least equipped by players and least used item. This rebrand takes an item with no purpose in MWO and converts it to something that, while niche, may have an actual use scenario. Also see my above part, LRMs will perform alright on this map.

#54 DoucheNugg3t

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 12:49 PM

The coolshot nerf will curb a lot of high alpha vomit/hag vomit builds for both IS and Clan. That was our goal for it.

As for Binaries, the effective change is that they are no longer impacted by large laser quirks and are now impacted by STD laser quirks. We've shuffled some mechs around, the big thing is that the Stalker 4N can no longer fire 4 BLC, it can only fire 3 before ghost heat.

We feel all X-Pulse, except for smalls, are in a pretty good place at the moment. L-XPL is very strong, M-XPL is good. Personally, while smalls are lacking I am worried about buffing them because even going slightly overboard could have a really bad result balance wise.

The gausszilla nerf was needed. It's currently the strongest QP assault in the game. That mech is my child and I'm very sad to have taken part in the nerf, but it was definitely a problem lol.

Also appears something is missing from the patch notes...?

I think Gauziller is fine the way it is, I don't run gauss on mine, I also don't see that many on the battlefield, you really have to use positioning and timing with it because it is a giant target and light mechs are on it like stank on a ****. I would like to see some kind of heat spike adjustment (quirk) for the stone crusher when using binaries, 69% heat when firing three is pretty toasty, it is still fun to run and one of few energy mechs I do decent with, has become one of my favorites

#55 BeCause

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:20 PM

View PostFrost_Byte, on 18 November 2023 - 10:49 AM, said:

Gausszilla is actually a lore variant, been around longer than MWO as far as how canon it is. The 5 gauss build isn't a problem, that's actually a pretty weak build on it. 4 HAG30 is a very problematic build on it though and we have to address that.

I don't think you've been paying attention to the Gausszilla balance since its release then Posted Image
The mech came out in July with Gauss only quirks and no armor quirks. When HAGs came out in August, we buffed the Gausszilla by upgrading the quirks from Gauss only to Gauss + HAG. In September patch, we gave it armor quirks. Now that we saw we overbuffed it with the HAG change, the quirks go from Gauss + HAG to Gauss only. It still has the armor.

The mech was garbo when it came out, but HAGs made it worth playing. These heat nerfs were already gonna make it not fun, the chassis nerf is simply non needed.

#56 Poseidolon

• PipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:34 PM

The coolshot nerf will curb a lot of high alpha vomit/hag vomit builds for both IS and Clan. That was our goal for it.

As for Binaries, the effective change is that they are no longer impacted by large laser quirks and are now impacted by STD laser quirks. We've shuffled some mechs around, the big thing is that the Stalker 4N can no longer fire 4 BLC, it can only fire 3 before ghost heat.

We feel all X-Pulse, except for smalls, are in a pretty good place at the moment. L-XPL is very strong, M-XPL is good. Personally, while smalls are lacking I am worried about buffing them because even going slightly overboard could have a really bad result balance wise.

Also appears something is missing from the patch notes...?

This goes so counter to my experiences in game. I'm quite surprised to hear it.
The Gausszilla and the 4N are funny, but never caused me any worry on the field.
As far as X-pulse, the smalls are the only ones that have proven worthwhile to me since one can equip so many. The larges simply aren't worth their weight.

Evidently, though, my experiences are atypical.

#57 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:54 PM

a resounding meh.

#58 FROM HELL

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 02:20 PM

View PostFrost_Byte, on 18 November 2023 - 10:49 AM, said:

I don't think you've been paying attention to the Gausszilla balance since its release then Posted Image

have you actually tested hagzila yourself in game, i mean not on stationary mechs but against some real players in fast mechs? Because in 9 of 10 cases you are left alone by your team and the enemies in light mechs destroy you real quick.

#59 -Ramrod-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 686 posts
  • LocationSome place

Posted 18 November 2023 - 02:20 PM

Way to kill HAGs and kick them while they are down xD. And way to nerf the Scaleshot even more. Regret buying it now. Is the Cauldron all smoking the same thing? Because they obviously don't represent the community as a whole. They try to run the game by analytics which in most cases in most sports is a horrible way to run a game.

#60 achalkov

• Pip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 06:03 PM

personally i don't think HAGs are OP. Yes, they partially replaced C-Gauss in some cases, but they bring us several new interesting builds. In after-patch state HAGs are basically HUGE Pulse Lasers with ammo and extended range, which is not bad.

Personally i'd prefer to see some work on missiles, because all med-long range variants definitely needs some love as ATMs and LRMs are not playable in this meta.

About Gauszilla - personally i never seen GZ as huge threat on the battlefield because of low mobility and lack of options. Thats big damn stationary turret with 2-click 120dmg volley, so yep, it should not be able to shoot too fast and definitely should use range as advantage, because if not - it could suppress superheavy brawlers like Koloss, which is not right as per concept.

New map looks... meh... intriguing. If there will be too much places for swift snipers in not obvious places - it will be obsolated in month, like new caustic valley, but if not - it could be good brawling map. I hope so.

Anyway - thanks devs for their work - nowadays this game is a rare brilliant with mountly patches, events and all new stuff that devs brings to us.

Edited by achalkov, 18 November 2023 - 06:19 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users