Clan's [will] be playable in MWO

227 replies to this topic

#21 Eternal Dusk

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

View PostEvinthal, on 28 July 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

I LOVE POST LIKE THIS!

seriously...no SERIOUSLY! Look at my signature for proof!

[/sarcasm]

What? I think PvE would be a nice change of pace. Clan tech will just make everything else irrelevant anyway. Glad you liked my post though.

#22 Marketh

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

Posted Image

Derp derp, I have no idea about how game mechanics work or what's involved in implementing things so I'll just assert whatever the hell I like as though it's fact.

#23 PaintedWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

Bull. They already talked about the Zel system.

And making Clans lose because of the Zell system and slightly inferior numbers is pretty darned true to canon. And think of it- under a Free-to-Play system it makes them so much money. (I really still don't understand the crazy "It isn't "really" "Free" to play" fanatics. I mean come on. It is a bit of freedom for me to pilot my Mech. And so I pay for extra, so what? I like how I can Equalize against the younger people who have superior reflexes and more free time.

So the F2P system combined with the OmniMech? I am just glad I play Inner Sphere. The irony is the Clan Players will be the older ones on average, if cost is a factor, which I can see it justified in being.

Anyways, Clan Wolverine is my favorite. Also why is OP spreading bad juju about a game people have already spent good, hard earned cash on before it is even released, calling the Developers Liars? Why try and downgrade the game's popularity this early? We haven't gotten a new Mechwarrior game in like 10 freakin' years!

I mean, why bring this up out of the blue like this? :ph34r:

Edited by PaintedWolf, 28 July 2012 - 03:13 PM.

#24 Litefeather

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNorthern Colorado, USA

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

you know, it's funny when people try an do this kinda thing, like "Oh yeah, the Clanner Tech is OP, so lets give it to the AI so it's balanced." the one thing people just don't get is that in war, there is no balance, the guy with the more accurate gun is going to win every time, assuming the adversary is at the same or lower skill level at aiming. general rule is that if you have 5 soldiers on each side, same skill set and all, and one side has better tech, that side is going to win; this isn't always the case, it usually depends on tactics, but if both sides blitzed in the same manner, the side with the better tech is generally going to win.

#25 TheOnlyNom

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationDragon Lance HQ

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

OH GOD OP CLANS!

Oh wait, I just remembered something. THEY LOSE. If Clan Tech is superior, then why cant I just kill a Clanner and take his mech? Do you expect the clanners to also just get their 'Mechs for free, and that noone else will claim to be a Clanner? IF it is implemented that Clan Tech will be superior to IS, then in the name of balance there will be some way to get an Omni as an IS 'Warrior. Why would you think for a second that just because of different tech, they automatically become AI?

/thread

Edit for Typo's

Edited by TheOnlyNom, 28 July 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#26 Joe Lean

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 47 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the idea that Clan play would most likely be initially Clan vs. Clan, not Clan vs. Inner Sphere. This would be most true to Canon, qui aff?

Mechwarrior 2 (non-mercenaries) was all Clan vs. Clan - Falcons & Wolves, then Ghost Bear's Legacy. That's why so many somewhat older Clan players like Clan... it's what they were probably first introduced to with MW2.

Even the majority of Clan-related fiction novels had both the "protagonists" and "antagonists" (as they were) as Clan characters.

So, if I operate under the assumption that players will eventually be able to go be Clan players, I would not be at all surprised if it was mostly Clan vs. Clan, Trials of Position, and that sort of thing, especially at first. Warden vs. Crusader, perhaps. Only challenge I see with this would be fitting it properly into the timeline.

That being said... I can't think of a Mechwarrior game since MW2 in which players played as Clan - other than MechAssault 1 & 2.

#27 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

RE: The OP...

The only suitable reply I have is that, "Your mom won't be playable in MWO". I'm sure she's a lovely woman too. I can also say she will not be playable in MWO with 100% certainty. That is 100% more certainty than your post. :ph34r:

#28 Wolfman0503

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

Freebirth scum!!!!

#29 Jeremy Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationWDS Alexander or Northwind. Take your pick

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostDemona, on 28 July 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

RE: The OP...

The only suitable reply I have is that, "Your mom won't be playable in MWO". I'm sure she's a lovely woman too. I can also say she will not be playable in MWO with 100% certainty. That is 100% more certainty than your post. :ph34r:

You're my new hero.

#30 Ninja Penguin

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostEnig, on 28 July 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

There's a reason why this forum isn't a part of the Mechwarrior Online Unverse section of forums, and is instead in the Battletech Universe category.

When the clan's invade, they'll most likely be our PVE adversaries, but we won't be able to 'join' them per se.

God I hope so.
The LAST thing we need is all the Clan Fanboys running around with I WIN MECHS
Personally... I wonder if the Clan mechs will be Devs for live events for the invasion. 0.o

#31 Xathanael

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 710 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona, USA

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

Posted Image

#32 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

View PostNinja Penguin, on 28 July 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

God I hope so.
The LAST thing we need is all the Clan Fanboys running around with I WIN MECHS
Personally... I wonder if the Clan mechs will be Devs for live events for the invasion. 0.o

The rivalry between the Clans and IS is one of the most poignant, entertaining elements of the BT universe. I'll never understand why anyone wouldn't want it in the game.

#33 Jizmak

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

No matter what. I am highly anticipating release.

While Clans and Clan Tech would be sweet. I can think of all sorts of interesting ways to impliment them; in a manner that would make the tech we know and love: one prestigious to obtain (because it should be), two worth the effort to obtain (Because it should be), and three Player clans would work to obtain for their members (Because it shouldn't be a individual effort overall, but possible an individual can obtain on their own).

Then add an "exchange" to the item store to trade the "clan tech" item(s) for upgraded versions of the same item plus in game currency.
So basically: Basic Item + Game Currency = Better Item. And make sure the item is only usable on a mech that is the same clan. No Davion tech on Stiner mechs etc.

#34 JP Josh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • Locationsteam- jp josh

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

two inerspere factions are fighting "what the hell the enimy signiture just changed to friendly" "attention mechwarriors attention the jkjkjrgjirgihjb invad kjnrgflkjnglkj try to jndvjnfkjn.........." "what the whered those mechs come from" "why they shooting at us to!" "oh ****!!!"

the record of first contact

#35 Xathanael

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 710 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona, USA

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

Posted Image

#36 Toothman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 557 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

View PostEnig, on 28 July 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

Where do you guys crawl out of? How can you not love the Clans? Everything they do is for the greater good.

Oh yes, hating everyone and killing your own guys is fantastic for the greater good of the Inner sphere.

#37 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

View PostEternal Dusk, on 28 July 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

What? I think PvE would be a nice change of pace. Clan tech will just make everything else irrelevant anyway. Glad you liked my post though.

If they do it right it won't. If done wrong then yes it will. I would be surprised if they didn't have some sort of balancing factor for it.

I'd love to see Era specific servers though, just so those of us who think differently about the Clans can play in relative peace.

You all know the game is set in 3049, and that it follows the canon story line. Knowing this why bother even getting into the game in the first place?

You people have had 23+ years to whine, moan and groan about the Clans. I'd hope the swelling of your posteriors would have subsided by now. Maybe you should have a doctor take a look at that.

Nice try on brushing it off though.

View PostXathanael, on 28 July 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

Posted Image

Indeed.

View PostDemona, on 28 July 2012 - 04:11 PM, said:

The rivalry between the Clans and IS is one of the most poignant, entertaining elements of the BT universe. I'll never understand why anyone wouldn't want it in the game.

This is exactly how I think about it, and it is the main reason I think we will eventually see them. The developers would be crazy to just skip over it. I mean look how divided it makes people as it is.

#38 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Cool storybro, now show me some devs supporting this.

#39 Holywar

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

Clan would be super easy to implement ... if your willing to ignore cannon about clan-tech being obviously superior, and gimp them till they are equivilant in power to inner sphere.

This is really a question of canon VS practicality in a PvP Game. The game is PvP oriented, so balance is very very important. If they introduce clan-tech, then everyone will have clantech. If they make clantech harder to get, that will not balance this because cost is not a truly effectively balancing mechanism. In a tight PVP Team game, a 5% advantage is fought over like a pack of ravening wolves.

I'm fine with them introducing clantech into the regular game at some point. So long as its done with the clear understanding that your either going to break canon or make IS stuff obsolete. Game-play takes presidence over everything else ... including canon.

#40 Drakhan

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

While I believe that the clans should be playable I think you should have to forfeit all your inner sphere mechs to join the clans and be barred from buying any inner sphere mechs in the future

This is a war you need to pick which side your on

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users