#41 Blue Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

View PostTvae, on 28 July 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

I certainly expect the clans to be playable eventually. However, in regards to the first encounters players have with them, I would not at all be surprised if they were not playable. I'm hoping the developers have some event where the devs (and maybe a select few players) are given access to clan technologies, then those piloting clan mechs are set against unsuspecting players still using IS mechs. Over time, more players will be given access I'm sure, but at first, it will be random chance that you'll be sent into battle against forces far outclassing you.

We'll have to wait and see, but whatever happens, I'm sure it will be awesome.

I like this idea, can you imagine the craziness that would erupt through the community if without warning dev piloted clan Stars started randomly dropping into matches and shooting up the two waring IS teams...

#42 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

View PostSkadi, on 28 July 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

Cool storybro, now show me some devs supporting this.

First, disclaimer: I certainly hope you are asking me this, or else I am going to sound pants on head crazy. Hell I might anyway. Oh well.

Seeing as how Randall from Catalyst is working closely with the developers on this project and has a bit of oversight into the entire thing, go read his interview. I will even quote the relevant part for you, in case you don't want to find said interview.

MWO: Is there any part of MechWarrior you’d love to just take straight out of canon?
RB: I’ve said many times over the years that if I’d been there the game mechanics of the Clan weaponry would be very different. It’s not just how powerful those weapons are, but that it seemed from the get go to violate the story aesthetics as presented.
Here were these great, in-your-face warriors and yet they had weapons that allowed a player, in game to simply walk backwards and fire at crazy distances to down your enemy. When we introduced the Clan Heavy Lasers years ago those were more along the lines of what I thought the Clans should’ve had all along…really dangerous and powerful weapons, but shortish range, where the Clanner would be in his element, able to take down 3 and 4 enemy BattleMechs in a whirling dervish of expert maneuvering and markmanship.

This is Mr. Bills chance to have some say into how their weapons work and help balance them out, I categorically can not say that this will drastically change them, but at least the seed is there for them to be in, and be balanced at that.

Let us look at something from Developer Interview #3, again, Quoting the thread.

MWO: If you had to pick a favourite ‘Mech, which would it be? Ok, one Inner Sphere, one Clan.
[BRYAN] Wow tough choice. Right now IS – Centurion and Clan – Loki. Ask me again in 12 months.

Again, not saying anything is certain, as you can read it however you want but the "ask me again in 12 months" bit seems to me like they do have plans at least in the works for them one way or another.

After all, twelve months from when that interview was posted (January 2012/January 3050 in game time) Is two months before wave one of the official Clan invasion actually hits the Inner Sphere. Based solely on how they have done release announcements in the past, it isn't that far fetched for them to bleed out information over those two months leading up to it.

How about another statement? One that this time specifically mentions the Clans in game. This little gem is from Developer Interview #4. Please not the bold sections of Omid's reply.

MWO: Is there a ‘Mech you’d love to work on specifically?

[Omid] I both love and dread the thought of bringing the first Clan 'Mech into the game. The Inner Sphere 'Mechs of 3048 are a really rich palette to start with. And as someone who thinks carefully about controls and mechanics and balance, there's a lot to work with there. So even though I care about balance and how different 'Mechs from different classes interact, when the Clans arrive in our timeline... a part of me really wants to bring over that first Clan 'Mech in all its unbalanced, overwhelming glory. I want to say “To hell with balance, things weren't fair: This is the way it happened.” I really look forward to how we're going to tackle that.
So basically I want to create this fun, tactical, balanced game... just so we can thrash it all in a years time with an epic invasion.

[Kevin] My favourite BattleMechs are the ones that don't look extremely humanoid, and to me you can't get much more iconic than the Timber Wolf. Sadly the clans are many years off in the timeline [Ed: About 6 months actually, but who’s counting?], and our actual 'Mech Artists are pumping out absolutely stunning work - so the chances me being able to model it are slim to none.

I am going to stop there.

Also: Creator of this thread, A+ for trolololol effort, C- for execution. The Clans are an easy subject to troll with.

*trolololololololol*

#43 BOTA 49

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

I really, really, really, REALLY hope the Clans are playable. So that way, when I beat the hell out of someone piloting an Angry Kitty I can laugh at them. I also hope that Clan tech is extremely expensivel. Lost that arm with an ER Large Laser and ER Medium Laser? Fork over 750,000 C-Bills, or more, to repair and replace everything. Clan weaponry, Endo Steel, and Ferro Fibrous armor isn't going to be cheap. Don't have the money? Next round in you're out an arm and some weapons.

They could even have it set up so you can only buy a certain amount of Clan tech in a set time frame to limit the amount seen on the field. This would also prevent some people from saving up millions of C-Bills for Clan tech.

#44 Xathanael

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 710 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona, USA

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

I can only imagine just how hot these forums are gonna get once all us founders get our Clan Mechs :rolleyes:

#45 SakuranoSenshi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

Xantanael, you're not meant to mention the special you get as a Legendary founder, that's why they only tell in email about it. ;-)

#46 Rejarial Galatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

View PostRanek Blackstone, on 28 July 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

Clan omnis later sold by some clans to factions in the IS for almost 3x the price of a similar tonnage battlemech, so it's not impossible to find them later in the IS. The Mad Cat mkII was built with sales to IS parties in mind from the get go in 3065.

AS to making clans playable factions, I hope they don't. We have 6 factions in game as it is, we don't need anymore splits to the player base.

you want a split in the player base? deny us Clan's as a faction, and watch as probably half the player base walks away. I may have dropped 60 bucks on this game already in support of PGI, but, this will be make or break for me. Deny us Clans as a faction, and watch me walk away. I have waited nearly 2 decades for a playable Clan faction since the expansion: Ghost Bear's Legacy. Enough is enough, this is the time to stop petting the ego's of the IS camp and unleash us Clanners.

#47 Xathanael

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 710 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona, USA

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 28 July 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

you want a split in the player base? deny us Clan's as a faction, and watch as probably half the player base walks away. I may have dropped 60 bucks on this game already in support of PGI, but, this will be make or break for me. Deny us Clans as a faction, and watch me walk away. I have waited nearly 2 decades for a playable Clan faction since the expansion: Ghost Bear's Legacy. Enough is enough, this is the time to stop petting the ego's of the IS camp and unleash us Clanners.

Posted Image

View PostSakuranoSenshi, on 28 July 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

Xantanael, you're not meant to mention the special you get as a Legendary founder, that's why they only tell in email about it. ;-)

Dude I forgot about that one ;)

#48 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

View PostSakuranoSenshi, on 28 July 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

What??? Why the hell would they not want us to know what could be thear biggest selling pont???

#49 maxx2504

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

If the Clans are not playable ill stay with MW4. Its not why the clans might be better than IS....its why i dont like IS. I can't identify with the Inner Sphere...

If no Clans....im done with MWO :wub: But you already got my money...thats the only problem...

maxx

#50 Naughtyboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

maybe clantech will be on its own servers..playing it out in the kerensky cluster and pentagon worlds? that would be intresting aswell :wub:

#51 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

If we are going off canon they why don't we have another group invade from the north and they become equiped with clan tech. I personally feel that If we are allowed to really fight for planets then we show a map of where we are for each group. It would change because the entire world will be going at it 24/7. The unclan clan would with their mech would allow alinces to form and desolve. It seems more like 3025 however it would make that clan lovers happy and each house would have to get its ----- together.

The other possible problem that someone got their panties in a knot and will sue if the name clan is used in the time line . Hmm lets get guessing it starts with an E or and M. Also, it's what about a year before the clans arrive so maybe something can be worked out.

#52 Mainman

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

so may ppl affraid of the Clanners and so called OP mechs .
I really hope they add the clan mechs and all that there are several ways to balance that 1 star vs 3 lances is one way just to mention one . Yes the clan tech is way better but i would feel 100 times better downing 1 Madcat (timberwolf) or a Vulture (mad dog) knowing there would be a player in that mech that would have to pay that repair bill then a silly AI controling it.

#53 TG Xarbala

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationCan I get back to you on that?

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

Okay, this is at least a day old, but:

View PostEnig, on 28 July 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

Where do you guys crawl out of? How can you not love the Clans? Everything they do is for the greater good.

Counterpoint: Wars of Reaving. Wherein the Clans commit more genocide than the Word of Blake against each other in the name of Clanner Purity. Also the Snow Ravens commit cold-blooded genocide against a number of DC worlds because the Combine was framed for a terror attack by the Wobbies and the Ravens' Clan Watch was too incompetent to realize the truth.

This is one of the few honestly interesting things the Clans have done since Losing By Cultural Deus Ex Machina (Tukayyid).

Granted, you're a Ghost Bear fan, and Ghost Bears are generally cool. But the Clans as a whole are as much villains as any Spheroid leader, perhaps more so because unlike even the Master of the Word of Blake, they're delusional enough to believe they're right.

#54 Ilkhan Reiver

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMiddlesborough. NE England

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

Hope they get clans otherwise i've wasted a perfectly good pilot name ;)

#55 Beep Pop

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

View PostEnig, on 28 July 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

There's a reason why this forum isn't a part of the Mechwarrior Online Unverse section of forums, and is instead in the Battletech Universe category.

When the clan's invade, they'll most likely be our PVE adversaries, but we won't be able to 'join' them per se.

Bad troll is bad

#56 maxx2504

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

The problem is the Inner Sphere players are afraid of the Clan Mechs.

But...they could setup matches against IS like this:

5 vs 8
8 vs. 12
18 vs. 24

Imagine a Dire Wolf could destroy 3 Atlas in one match maybe ;)

maxx

#57 Sabuto

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

Id have to say does it matter? Sure some will want to play it, sure it maybe a future expansion. For right now im playing in the beta and its very nice, im content to see it launch and learn to play better and fight in groups, for now.

#58 Wolfclaw

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,510 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSpring, Texas

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

Talk to any merc corp leader who has access to that forum.

He'll tell you otherwise

#59 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

Too many fans would leave the game if they couldn't play as the Clans at some point.

#60 Rejarial Galatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

View PostDemona, on 29 July 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

Too many fans would leave the game if they couldn't play as the Clans at some point.

QFT

We the die hard Clan enthusiast, who want the play as clans for what ever reason make up a huge chunk of the potential paying player base <paying for fluffy stuff that is> and as a business, PGI is smart enough to know who the cash crop is, and how disastrous it would be financially speaking to say: Nope, no clan tech, no clan mechs, no clan faction. It would cause a mass sense of hurt, followed by anger, followed by the sound of countless doors slamming shut as we leave.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users