Clan's [will] be playable in MWO

227 replies to this topic

#61 Trickster Fox

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

what the problem is going to revolve around is that if the clans are playable then 80% of the user base will jump to clan then think how that will go? I for one think they should be playable in the future but it should be controlled somehow... then again I think assault class mechs should have a limit in game also, hard capped to 2 per team, maybe 3 if the size of the teams go up.

The problem is that they are going to have to find a way to balance the gameplay and there is no balancing the clan tech and it still be clan tech. The crap is too good, and the mechs are as well. The only way they would make it work I guess would have to say play 12v8 or 16v10or12. That in my mind would be it.

#62 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:50 PM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 28 July 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

you want a split in the player base? deny us Clan's as a faction, and watch as probably half the player base walks away.

That makes me laugh.

Take your pink glasses off and accept the fact that only an absolutle minority of the community (maybe 1%) cares about the Clans because they are Clans. All the other peeps would go Clan only because of the tech. And if the tech isn't there, then most of them wont care anyway and still play MWO.

#63 Rejarial Galatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

Thorn Hallis, you have seen the number of merc corps cropping up taking the names of the various Clan's from canon right? Especially ones that have been around since the days of MW4? We are not a minority, We are 50% of the player base. Some of us want it for the seemingly easy button it presents, some of us want it for pure aesthetics, others because it is what we came in with on MW2, others because we find it fits us better, and other still, because we cannot stand the IS and what it stands for. I lost my pink Glasses when it became the going norm to make games ignore Clans as a playable faction and only include the tech, many many years back. I have been waiting 18 years since Ghost Bear's Legacy for a decent Clan Faction, and so have a lot of others. Hell, there are even a multitude of threads dedicated to 1 question: Stay IS or Go Clan. And the countless replies to all of them, tell me, we are more than a minority, we may even be majority. We are Legion <said in the voice of Blackheart/Legion from Ghost Rider>

#64 SakuranoSenshi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:05 AM

Look, fact is we have absolutely no idea. None at all. They have been completely tightlipped on whether Clans will be in the game, much less whether they will be playable in any way. Now, we can speculate a lot; they're iconic and this era going forward from here is pretty much defined by the arrival of the Clans, however, we still have no idea about details and playability and they could branch the timeline and have no Clans for a while, even years.

#65 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:10 AM

Senshi, I agree, in part: our lack of full information on the subject. I do not agree: that they will take years to be seen. First Contact is August with Phelan Kell's abduction. Full contact is 8 months out 20 March 2013/3050. Less than 1 year till invasion, and PGI saying: No PvE content for for seeable Future means: logically we can extrapolate: they will be playable, and my april at the earliest.

#66 Ashla Mason

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:10 AM

Everything in my gut tells me that the clans will be playable in one form or another at some point in the future, and if the time tables are what the devs have said they will be then come march we will have our first clan players running around.

Putting completely aside peoples disagreements with them, the clans have become a part of the setting and the lore just as much as comstar or the great houses and to deny people who have been fans of the clans (and may not even remember a time when they weren't part of the setting) the right to represent them would be incredibly insulting. Hell, they're letting people play as members of the FRR and they were pretty much a blink-and-you-miss-it affair as a nation.

The other part that stands out to me, is the fact that they're setting this on the eve of the invasion as opposed to 3039 or 3046 or 3042. Why do that if you aren't planning on releasing them?

#67 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

Ashla is 100% correct. Asking them to delay the invasion or prevent players from playing them, to me is insulting. It would be akin to asking Steiner Fans to NOT play as Steiner or Davion as Davion. The list goes on, and how well would that go over if they said: Well, We are going to make it so, House Steiner is an NPC only faction, as well as Davion, FRR, Kurita, Marik and all the other Houses. All players will be Mercenary only. How quickly do you think it would devolve into a riot? What we Clanners ask is nothing more than IS players have already been given: The chance to fight for and represent the faction we hold nearest and dearest to our hearts. Rejarial For Equal Faction Rights!

#68 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:31 AM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 30 July 2012 - 12:02 AM, said:

Thorn Hallis, you have seen the number of merc corps cropping up taking the names of the various Clan's from canon right? Especially ones that have been around since the days of MW4? We are not a minority, We are 50% of the player base. Some of us want it for the seemingly easy button it presents, some of us want it for pure aesthetics, others because it is what we came in with on MW2, others because we find it fits us better, and other still, because we cannot stand the IS and what it stands for. I lost my pink Glasses when it became the going norm to make games ignore Clans as a playable faction and only include the tech, many many years back. I have been waiting 18 years since Ghost Bear's Legacy for a decent Clan Faction, and so have a lot of others. Hell, there are even a multitude of threads dedicated to 1 question: Stay IS or Go Clan. And the countless replies to all of them, tell me, we are more than a minority, we may even be majority. We are Legion <said in the voice of Blackheart/Legion from Ghost Rider>

Yes, I did. 50% of the player base would mean about 100000. And to that number I say "dream on". Those who care about the Clans because of them being Clans were, are and will ever be a minority.

#69 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:37 AM

50% is NOT a minority. It is HALF. If they wanted us to not play Clans, they could have set the game a century prior to what it is now, and completely avoided the issue. But to openly make the game that is set on what amounts to the eve of the invasion is clearly saying: clans will be playable. otherwise it is insulting and cruelly taunting. Might as well demand players not play as Steiner or FRR or Davion.

I say this to be kind: We the Clan Enthusiasts, be us casual or Die hard, have never, not once, aside from saying it could be said as an example, have never said: we demand you IS players not be able to play the faction you love most, or be able to represent the houses you love most. We expect you to play as such, and we want to be given, and basically demand the right to do so our selves. I suddenly saw a line go through my head that tells me, this can go in a scary direction.... <shudder>

#70 Ashla Mason

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:37 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 30 July 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

Yes, I did. 50% of the player base would mean about 100000. And to that number I say "dream on". Those who care about the Clans because of them being Clans were, are and will ever be a minority.

I'm curious what you think the number of people who care about the clans is in relation to the people who care about cappelans.

Edited by Ashla Mason, 30 July 2012 - 12:38 AM.

#71 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:38 AM

Ashla, you give me a curious Idea: Thorn, would you like it, if we demanded Liao be NPC only?

#72 Urdnot

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:40 AM

The thread topic is completely misleading, you're turning conjucture into fact, OP.

But talking about it - clan afiliation per se is highly unlikely. No dev would split their player base in SIX factions.

Yet, we can see people care. My guess is - we'll be all mercenaries, and fro mtime to time, in events, will be able to play in clans - ANY clan to each event.

#73 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:43 AM

Urdnot, we are already broken into factions: Houses, Lone Wolf, Mercenary. We the die hard clanners, my self included would be highly insulted to not be able to fly a specific Clan <canon clan> Flag from the get go.

#74 Ashla Mason

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:52 AM

Ashla, you give me a curious Idea: Thorn, would you like it, if we demanded Liao be NPC only

House Liao was fairly inactive militarily at this time as I recall; they had been sorely tested by the combined "might" of the magistry of canopus and duchy of andurien attempted to invade her decrepit state. Certainly they weren't looking to square off against their neighbors in anything that could be even loosely described as a major engagement.

View PostUrdnot, on 30 July 2012 - 12:40 AM, said:

The thread topic is completely misleading, you're turning conjucture into fact, OP.

But talking about it - clan afiliation per se is highly unlikely. No dev would split their player base in SIX factions.

Yet, we can see people care. My guess is - we'll be all mercenaries, and fro mtime to time, in events, will be able to play in clans - ANY clan to each event.

Technically it's 4 factions; jade falcon, wolf, ghost bear and smoke jaguar were the only clans to initially invade. Clans steel viper, diamond shark and nova cat wouldn't arrive until sometime after the death of the ilkhan.

#75 SakuranoSenshi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

As I have pointed out before, this is an offshoot timeline, just because the books you, the player, read say they are here in a few months doesn't mean they will be in this timeline, our game. Sorry. They might be, they might not be but I have at least as much ammunition from dev quotes for saying 'might be years' as you do for your desire that it will be months.

#76 William Boone

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:05 AM

I'm fine with them being pve opponents.

Sides we don't have to win just gotta hold out long enough for ComStar to get off their butts right?

#77 Ashla Mason

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:11 AM

View PostWilliam Boone, on 30 July 2012 - 01:05 AM, said:

I'm fine with them being pve opponents.

Jesus Christ no.

The last thing the developers need to be wasting their time with is trying to code non-sucky AI so that the clans can't be "ground" for XP and Raid Lewt.

If I wanted that I'd play SWTOR.

#78 Alekzandar Suvorov

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:14 AM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 30 July 2012 - 12:43 AM, said:

Urdnot, we are already broken into factions: Houses, Lone Wolf, Mercenary. We the die hard clanners, my self included would be highly insulted to not be able to fly a specific Clan <canon clan> Flag from the get go.

Well think about this. The way the community warfare will most likely work (Read as most plausable with given info) House factions will fight amongst themselves as described by devs. Merc units will be hired by given factions to assist in combat as the Lone Wolves will be used to fill the random one mech gaps in fights. So Really these three things are not so much different factions as different play styles. House(Factions), Mercs(Guilds), Lone Wolf(Solo). Its the same groupings any other MMO has. With as much as the devs are trying to stay close to the lore how do you expect to advance as a clanner? No c-bills to get better weapons or mechs, so does that mean you should be able to have access to all the mechs? No. Well we could have a trial system to grant you access to the new mechs and weapons. Well it seems silly to design a section of the game that half the people will not see. Also no money to be made by them there. We could have a clan cash system, but at that point you are just mercs with better mechs.

IMO When the invasion happens you should have the option to "Instance Up" for a mission to play *** the clanners. With the rewards being really limited, something like 25% xp and cbills. Otherwise having the clanners as a faction just creates a massive headache for balancing on a community warfare level unless consessions are made (e.g. Clanners out numbered or lower drop weights). But think about that from a game angle, one disconnect and now the clanners are at a disadvantage.

Although my roomate just came up with an idea about getting invited to the clans if you have a good avg xp per match or a K/D/A ratio. After a loss to the clans that is. Bondsman FTW.

#79 Ashla Mason

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:26 AM

View PostAlekzandar Suvorov, on 30 July 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

Well think about this. The way the community warfare will most likely work (Read as most plausable with given info) House factions will fight amongst themselves as described by devs. Merc units will be hired by given factions to assist in combat as the Lone Wolves will be used to fill the random one mech gaps in fights. So Really these three things are not so much different factions as different play styles. House(Factions), Mercs(Guilds), Lone Wolf(Solo). Its the same groupings any other MMO has. With as much as the devs are trying to stay close to the lore how do you expect to advance as a clanner? No c-bills to get better weapons or mechs, so does that mean you should be able to have access to all the mechs? No. Well we could have a trial system to grant you access to the new mechs and weapons. Well it seems silly to design a section of the game that half the people will not see. Also no money to be made by them there. We could have a clan cash system, but at that point you are just mercs with better mechs.

IMO When the invasion happens you should have the option to "Instance Up" for a mission to play *** the clanners. With the rewards being really limited, something like 25% xp and cbills. Otherwise having the clanners as a faction just creates a massive headache for balancing on a community warfare level unless consessions are made (e.g. Clanners out numbered or lower drop weights). But think about that from a game angle, one disconnect and now the clanners are at a disadvantage.

Honestly, I think the trick to balancing the clans is rejigging the economic system for them to reward them for engaging in honorable combat (the dueling style the clans are infamous for) and penalizing them for relying on the "street fight" method favored by the inner sphere. Doing so Balances out their strengths with a rather hefty weakness.

#80 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:37 AM

Im not so sure if this community cannot have their madcat, they would burn Canada to get it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users