Most powerful Clan 'Mech ton for ton?

167 replies to this topic

#41 Datum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

For all around effectiveness, I'd say the Stormcrow.
55 tons and 97km/h, 2 ERLlasers and 3 ERMlasers, AND enough heatsinks to use them to their fullest extent.
Also there's the B variant with a UAC-20 and 6 ERMlasers.

#42 Zendric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

Fire Moth D is an obvious choice, so fast its untouchable by most IS Regulars (Pulse Lasers aside) and can down IS assaults with ease.

#43 Harrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

View PostDatum, on 01 February 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

For all around effectiveness, I'd say the Stormcrow.
55 tons and 97km/h, 2 ERLlasers and 3 ERMlasers, AND enough heatsinks to use them to their fullest extent.
Also there's the B variant with a UAC-20 and 6 ERMlasers.

Another one for the Stormcrow. Woot!

#44 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:02 AM

Hunchback IIC at 26 tons weapons (2x12ton for the two U/AC20, and 2 tons for the two ER Medium Lasers, and weighting in at 50 tons it is just over half of the mechs weight.

#45 Vincent Vascaul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationEverett, Wa

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

Adder Prime Hands down 2 Clan ERPPC's a flamer plus a Advanced Targeting computer not to mention 6 tons of armor its just a brutal little mech, I would hate to run into a Star of em all at once.

Also Check out Config B LBX AC 5 with a Large Pulse Laser and 2 ER mediums its just not something you want to mess with.

Edited by Vincent Vascaul, 02 February 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#46 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

Posted Image

The 20 ton Piranha, designed and built by the Diamond Sharks, could be one of the most powerful light mechs at close to mid range...
2x ER Medium Laser (2 tons), 1x ER Small Laser (0,5 ton), 12 Clan Machine Guns (3 tons)! :o
15 weapons and only 5,5 tons of weapon-weight, 151 km/h! A nice and interesting ScoutMech for urban warfare against infantry and vehicles.

Edited by The_Birdeater, 18 February 2012 - 04:02 AM.

#47 El Loco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 395 posts
  • LocationNew Haven, CT

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

I'd have to second the Turkina B... though the Cougar is pretty well equipped, too.

#48 Sirius

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

View PostAlaric Wolf Kerensky, on 01 February 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

Table Top does not count for anything in what I said. This is about real-time firepower.

But what does that even mean? Real-time implies you're working with one of the video games - but which one? We have no data on MWO, and the previous MechWarrior games all balanced things differently, so depending which you pick, a different Clan 'Mech will probably come out on top.

#49 Torment2

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:21 AM

Always been a big fan of the Phantom C fast as hell and a true laser boat.

Hunchie IIC pound for pound does stupid damage though.

#50 GrimJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationPottery Barn, $120 richer than my fellow Founders

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hafta say, some good picks here.

I ran with a Golden Age Storm Giant for awhile with a 1.20 dmg ratio. Essentally a Crossbow spliced with a Phoenix Hawk IIC: Two new model UC/ACs 20 and 2 LRM 20s. It was fast too, moving at its 4/6. Covered the long and the short terrifically, opened up some major holes then exploited them with a pair of big crit seekers & out maneuvered most period assaults.

Later upgraded it to a more Steel Viper style arsenal, keeping the LRMs, adding 2 Lg. Pulse, 3 Med Pulse, 2 SRM 6s & Equipment, it was a really fast, very accurate, higher damaging Stalker.

I dislike the 61' Scylla version.

Edited by GrimJim, 07 February 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#51 IxxxI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

I think that Hunchback IIC has most efficient ratio, but still can not resist to the charm of Cougar (Prime, B,C,D depends on situation), it is the second at least, IMO.

#52 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

Hands down it's the Nova Prime. 12 ERML's!

#53 DragonClaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

its the pilot not the mech that make a mech a powerhose :)

Edited by DragonClaw, 07 February 2012 - 11:21 AM.

#54 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 07 February 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

I will enjoy this mech when the Clans come. I enjoy a Adder C in MWLL which has 6 ERML... THAT is deadly... 12?!? OHhh feel the pain as I feel the heat!

Honestly though I would have 6 groups for a Nova, 4 groups of 3 ERML each for heat managament, 6 lasers on another for a half alpha strike and then a final group for a alpha strike which will probably kill me, but with luck kill them too :)

#55 Ashrok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 137 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

I'd think that the Stone Rhino would be the most powerful, in terms of sheer fire power. Of course, it's pretty much a walking turret...

#56 Felix Dante

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

Not to try and contradict one of the moderators here...but Heat has to be a factor too in such a
decision, right?

If you can't fire most of your weapons (75%+) without possibly shutting down then that fire-power
doesn't count for much IMHO. One shot wonder.

The Nova Prime can barely fire more than half its weapons without overheating in a major
way...and don't even THINK about jumping at the same time.

It IS a good mech however, the normal load-outs just don't thrill me.
Several of the mech's mentioned by others also have the same problem (Warhawk Prime anybody?)

Weapons load counts for diddily if you can't fire it.
But that's just my opinion.

:)

Edited by Felix Dante, 07 February 2012 - 11:54 AM.

#57 IxxxI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

After I read "down" and "Nova Prime" I've recalled only: "heat level critical; shut down sequence initiated; shutting down." :)

Edited by IxxxI, 07 February 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#58 GrimJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationPottery Barn, $120 richer than my fellow Founders

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

Boater...

#59 Ogre Magi

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

the problem is the question there is not a good mech comparison based on tonnage.
as they say quanity is its on quality, the larger a mech is the more it can resist damage and mount better weapons, I been playing BT for a while using the battle value system BV to balance IS vs clan mechs, typically in a EQUAL BV BATTLE the clanners tend to have mediums while the IS can field heavies and assaults, while the clanners can manuver very well they cant take midranged and close in shots against heavier mechs. I have taken a Awesome with the 3 ppcs against several clan meds and won. It wasnt pretty and they did get soem back shots on me but i can kill them before they kill me simple because i have more hit boxes on my mech.
in my mind the better mech is a 85 ton assault, they will be slow but are cheaper to field BV wise, have simmilar armor as assaults, can mount simmilar weapons and can take a lot of damage, they tend to be slow, 3/5 ground speed and mount standard engines, but can do the work of a assault for about 20% to 30% of the BV value.

for the table top game, higher tonnage but lower tech weapons, works better, the Blood Kite is a great example, standard weapons LRMS SRMS, and ER large lasers it wont head cap a assault but its lower in BV makes it easier to bid in a assault mech

#60 lonewolfsyndrome

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

Two underated but highly powerful Clan Mechs are the Bane 3 and 4 (at least from the table top stand point.)

Bane 3 - 8 LRM 15's and 19 DHS, how ever it does have a staggering 16 tons of ammo, but you burn through one a turn. Average damage is mid to high 50's with a Max of 120 how ever that is highly unlikely.

Bane 4 - 2 Ultra 20's with 6 tons of ammunition, 3 ATM 6 racks with four tons of ammunition and an ER Large, but it only has 17 dhs. ball park damage using High Explosive ammo for the ATM's is 70's assuming 2/4 ultra shells hit with a possiable 134 with an over heat of 6.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users