Unseen/reseen: Aye Or Nay?

408 replies to this topic

Poll: Unseen, Reseen or nope? (1175 member(s) have cast votes)

Should PGI add the Reseen/Unseen?

1. I accept nothing but the original Unseen. (115 votes [9.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.79%

2. Voted I prefer the Unseen, but if it isn't possible to add them, I will accept the Reseen. (645 votes [54.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.89%

3. I prefer the Reseen. (140 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

4. I don't care if the Reseen/Unseen will be added. (179 votes [15.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.23%

5. I prefer PGI to bring a whole new design of these mechs (not Unseen, not Reseen). (96 votes [8.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 Felix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 656 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

Either way, they should have had the ******** warhammer in already. **** the spider, I want my damn 'Hammer!

#182 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

View PostKuruptU4Fun, on 13 January 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:

IF PGI jumps on the "reseen" based designs then do their own work on it (thus far I have no complaints) then the likelyhood of a cease and desist letter being sent is much slimmer...

I didnt say theyd get sued for using the reseen designs
just the designs that were taken from other sources. I thought those were the ones ppl call "unseen". If my terminology was off, my bad

#183 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 13 January 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

or just use the already available reseen stuff lol

The point being that youre not gonna see the old designs cause pgi will get cease and decisted

They (PGI) can't use the "Reseen" (Project Phoenix) art any more than the original 3025 art. Those pieces are under the rights of Topps.

ANY art they make for MWO is exclusively for MWO. Including the 'mechs we already have in-game, including the already-announced 'mechs. All of those are NEW art.

If they made any of the "Unseen"/"Reseen", they would also be NEW art. PGI does not have the right to use any of the sourcebook art. Likewise, Topps does not have the rights to use MWO's art (which negates the possibility of seeing a pen & paper sourcebook from Catalyst using MWO's art).

Edited by DirePhoenix, 13 January 2013 - 11:00 PM.

#184 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 13 January 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

They (PGI) can't use the "Reseen" (Project Phoenix) art any more than the original 3025 art. Those pieces are under the rights of Topps.

ANY art they make for MWO is exclusively for MWO. Including the 'mechs we already have in-game, including the already-announced 'mechs. All of those are NEW art.

If they made any of the "Unseen"/"Reseen", they would also be NEW art. PGI does not have the right to use any of the sourcebook art. Likewise, Topps does not have the rights to use MWO's art (which negates the possibility of seeing a pen & paper sourcebook from Catalyst using MWO's art).

ah see I didnt know the reseen stuff was already licensed. I just knew the unseen stuff was stolen

wait... how are they trying to make a game without having the rights to be able to use the likenesses of the mechs in the game (in TT not this game) already?
I thought they HAD hte consent from Catalyst to do this game?

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 13 January 2013 - 11:07 PM.

#185 Dukarriope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Locationa creative suite

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

Can we just have a Marauder already?

#186 KuruptU4Fun

• 1,748 posts
  • LocationLewisville Tx.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

View PostDukarriope, on 13 January 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

Can we just have a Marauder already?

Posted Image

#187 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 13 January 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

ah see I didnt know the reseen stuff was already licensed. I just knew the unseen stuff was stolen

wait... how are they trying to make a game without having the rights to be able to use the likenesses of the mechs in the game (in TT not this game) already?

They don't need consent from Catalyst. Catalyst is working in cooperation with the various other companies producing BattleTech and Mechwarrior stuff, which I believe is more along the lines of a cooperative community thing more than a legal asset coverage thing.

Catalyst is licensing art from Topps. Topps has the rights for all the Battletech images in print media (I think technically Topps has the right to the name "BattleTech" as well, which may be why pretty much all the computer game stuff is called Mech-something instead of BattleTech). PGI can make new art exclusively for MWO. ACRONYM games (IGP's other dev house) can make new art exclusively for MechWarrior Tactics. Personae Studios (MechWarrior: Tactical Command) has licensed from Topps and can apparently use sourcebook art.

#188 Merky Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 871 posts
  • LocationRidin down the street in my 6-4

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

I would like some version of the Marauder. If only because I like chicken walkers with arms >_>

I'll settle for a catapult with arms that has an additional 10 tons to play with...

#189 M4rtyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 691 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

Problem is i grew up with Battletech when the so called unseen were the iconic 'faces' of the game.

To me its simply not Battletech without real Warhammer, Rifleman, etc. I just think its sad that those witht he Robotech rights still give a ****. I mean it may still be alive in asia, but for all I know Robotech is very much dead and gone. Battletech still lived however and I'd rather have my real mechs.

#190 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 13 January 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

They do (from Topps, not from Catalyst,) but they have to create a derived version of it. Many of them are so subtly derived that they may as well be the originals, which is apparently "in bounds" for MW Online. MW Tactics had to deviate much wider because that game's art isn't of 'Mechs, but of minis - which rubs up against Iron Wind's licence to produce TRO-faithful minis as well as MWTC's licence for the real art.

Edited by Sandslice, 13 January 2013 - 11:51 PM.

#191 Suskis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 276 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

even if the Unseen appear, their looks will be different from the original designs simply because none of the mechs we have now looks like the originals. 25 years have passed and tastes have changed. the old mechs were not as "military" looking as those we have in the game now. Some are really different (look at the Stalker!).
The problem would arise if they use the original name combined with an updated model. The owners of the original right will bring our devs to court to suck whatever amount possible of money from them, possibily ending this game experience!

#192 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:07 AM

View PostSuskis, on 14 January 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

The problem would arise if they use the original name combined with an updated model. The owners of the original right will bring our devs to court to suck whatever amount possible of money from them, possibily ending this game experience!

That's actually the opposite of what would happen. If they used the "unseen" mechs (names and stats) using "unseen" art, THAT is where you would have a problem.

There is no issue with names or stats, just the artwork. If PGI creates new artwork for MWO (which they have to do anyway for anything appearing in this game since they don't even have the rights from Topps to use current sourcebook art), there is nothing build a case on.

#193 Vincent Lynch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:05 AM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 14 January 2013 - 02:07 AM, said:

That's actually the opposite of what would happen. If they used the "unseen" mechs (names and stats) using "unseen" art, THAT is where you would have a problem.

There is no issue with names or stats, just the artwork. If PGI creates new artwork for MWO (which they have to do anyway for anything appearing in this game since they don't even have the rights from Topps to use current sourcebook art), there is nothing build a case on.

There doesn't seem to exist any issue about the arts with Topps though, since of the Mechs currently in the game, most look very similar to sourcebook art. (As an example, for the Catapult and the Jenner I cannot see any difference.) If someone made any "Reseens" which are only half as close to the Unseen, H.G. would have their a**es in court. That's why I think PGI shouldn't have any problem using the Reseen, or designs very similar to them.

#194 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

View PostVincent Lynch, on 14 January 2013 - 03:05 AM, said:

There doesn't seem to exist any issue about the arts with Topps though, since of the Mechs currently in the game, most look very similar to sourcebook art. (As an example, for the Catapult and the Jenner I cannot see any difference.) If someone made any "Reseens" which are only half as close to the Unseen, H.G. would have their a**es in court. That's why I think PGI shouldn't have any problem using the Reseen, or designs very similar to them.

The Jenner and Catapult in MWO are very different from the TRO sourcebook art. The sourcebook Catapult has a very smooth, rounded torso, no weapon pods on the side torsos (the CPLT-C1's medium lasers are just a series of 4 holes in the front like a perforated smiley face), as well as a different design for the legs. The Jenner's cockpit is the major difference in the MWO version because the sourcebook's Jenner cockpit has eyesocket dual windshields as if it has a face, and also lacks the T-bar spoiler. Not to mention that if MWO were to use the actual sourcebook art for those two, then neither one would be able to torso twist.

Sourcebook Jenner:
Posted Image

MWO Jenner:
Posted Image

Sourcebook Catapult:
Posted Image

MWO Catapult:
Posted Image

#195 M4rtyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 691 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

Lol, there maybe some detail diference but those look the same to me. In fact all the mechs are easily identifable to veterans like myself. They don't look terribly different in any way.

#196 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:33 AM

i love the unseen marauder!!!
me love big salami on shoulder mechs. i already own 3 hunchies and wont sell but i like the look of sleek salami :wub:.

#197 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 28 August 2012 - 09:58 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

mechlab so cool!!! and the one arm mech is cool!!

they should just forget about making 3 variants and push mechs out. varients and exp can wait, me want these mechs.

#198 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:49 AM

I just want more Mech designs in the game.

#199 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

View PostAtlas3060, on 14 January 2013 - 04:49 AM, said:

I just want more Mech designs in the game.

We all want.
But there must be a reason for PGI not using the even Reseen* mechs. Maybe after the Clans, in 2014, they surprise us with an all-Reseen wave of IS mechs... (we can always dream, right?)

*The Unseen they can't use, anyway - so forget about it.

Talking about the Unseen, Zaptruder is making pretty redesigns of the Unseen. Look at his Shadow Hawk, Battlemaster, Phoenix Hawk, Stinger, Marauder, Wahammer and Locust. I know, most are too legally similar with the Unseen, but they are a proof that even the classics can be made better.

Edited by Odanan, 14 January 2013 - 05:18 AM.

#200 Mikhalio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

Phoenix Hawk.

That is all I want; painted in the colour of Gundam Wing.

Hell, make it a 500.00 mech, that has no fixed hardpoints and that'll be more than enough for a long long time.

Edited by Mikhalio, 14 January 2013 - 06:39 AM.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users