Unseen/reseen: Aye Or Nay?

408 replies to this topic

Poll: Unseen, Reseen or nope? (1175 member(s) have cast votes)

Should PGI add the Reseen/Unseen?

1. I accept nothing but the original Unseen. (115 votes [9.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.79%

2. Voted I prefer the Unseen, but if it isn't possible to add them, I will accept the Reseen. (645 votes [54.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.89%

3. I prefer the Reseen. (140 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

4. I don't care if the Reseen/Unseen will be added. (179 votes [15.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.23%

5. I prefer PGI to bring a whole new design of these mechs (not Unseen, not Reseen). (96 votes [8.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 Ivanzypher

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 94 posts
  • LocationManchester UK

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

Seeing as all the MWO redesigns of Mechs are miles better than the originals, I can't say it would matter much whether they went with Unseen or Reseen. They would end up looking far more awesome than ever either way. That being said, I voted Unseen, simply because most of the Reseen are hideous.

#202 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostOdanan, on 14 January 2013 - 05:17 AM, said:

Talking about the Unseen, Zaptruder is making pretty redesigns of the Unseen. Look at his Shadow Hawk, Battlemaster, Phoenix Hawk, Stinger, Marauder, Wahammer and Locust. I know, most are too legally similar with the Unseen, but they are a proof that even the classics can be made better.

I understand that, but allow me to elaborate on my original post.

I selected in the poll " I prefer the Unseen, but if it isn't possible to add them, I will accept the Reseen".
Redesigns are going to happen no matter what so if they use the Reseen look as a basis and say "Here's the MWO version of the Warhammer" I'm still going to jump in and kill things no matter what.

PGI could simply have their art team make up their own versions of the Mechs and that's it. The video games are not canon to anything in the Universe, but rather use the canonicity as a starting point for their games.

Yes there's probably a reason why they don't have them yet. I'm placing my bets on the company still trying to get the basics of the game down, tested, and released before they start bringing in more Mechs at a faster rate.

If we do get them, I'm not going to hold them to an exact specification on what a Marauder or Rifleman look like. Though if I don't like the look I'll just not use it that much.

#203 Old Farkas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 124 posts
  • LocationQC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

I just want the Warhammer back!

#204 Vincent Lynch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 14 January 2013 - 03:44 AM, said:

The Jenner and Catapult in MWO are very different from the TRO sourcebook art. The sourcebook Catapult has a very smooth, rounded torso, no weapon pods on the side torsos (the CPLT-C1's medium lasers are just a series of 4 holes in the front like a perforated smiley face), as well as a different design for the legs. The Jenner's cockpit is the major difference in the MWO version because the sourcebook's Jenner cockpit has eyesocket dual windshields as if it has a face, and also lacks the T-bar spoiler. Not to mention that if MWO were to use the actual sourcebook art for those two, then neither one would be able to torso twist.

I did not say they were looking the same.
I just say they are much more similar than the Reseen are to the Unseen.

#205 Liberty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Does anyone know when the last time PGI addressed the Unseen? The question frequently comes up for Ask the Devs but as far as I know they have been silent for over a year and have not responded to any forum topics concerning the Unseen. If they have then can someone provide link?

#206 Heiggwinie Halberstadt

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 89 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

If the name Warhammer is more important than the original look of the Warhammer would you be happy if they took a Cataphract (same 70 tons and similar shape) and changed the hard points on it to match the Warhammer and then just stuck the name Warhammer on it?

I would not. Unseen or nothing at all.

#207 Caboose30

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 880 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostIvanzypher, on 14 January 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

Seeing as all the MWO redesigns of Mechs are miles better than the originals, I can't say it would matter much whether they went with Unseen or Reseen. They would end up looking far more awesome than ever either way. That being said, I voted Unseen, simply because most of the Reseen are hideous.

I dunno, I definitely like the new Locust and Phoenix Hawk. The real problem with not including them in any form is that so many games depended around those designs, especially the Battlemaster, Warhammer, Shadow Hawk, and one other that isn't coming to mind right off.

#208 Vincent Lynch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

I also like the reseens. The warhammer reseen looks stupid to me, but the others are fine. I really hope PGI will come up with reseen at some point.

#209 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

the MWO Jägermech looks better and similar to the old Unseen Rifleman, as the ugly Reseen RM :)
give a Loki a new Cockpit, longer Arm-Weapons and is a very Good Warhammer clone

Edited by CSJ Ranger, 14 January 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#210 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostLiberty, on 14 January 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

Does anyone know when the last time PGI addressed the Unseen? The question frequently comes up for Ask the Devs but as far as I know they have been silent for over a year and have not responded to any forum topics concerning the Unseen. If they have then can someone provide link?

From Paul Inouye in the "Ask Me Anything" on Reddit three months ago:

Eros_Narcissus 20 points 3 months ago*

Hey Paul, great job so far :) My question:

Considering the fact that FlyingDebris is doing full redesigns of every chassis being included in MWO, would you please address the possibility of unseen/reseen designs? To most of us, it seems as if his work would preclude any legal problems from arising, though we would certainly understand if it were not something PGI wanted to risk. I think the fanbase would be incredibly appreciative of a simple nod in one direction or another.

Paul_PGI[S] 23 points 3 months ago

Why must you do this to me? What did I do to you?

FlyingDebris IS doing an awesome great job at redefining the looks of the classic Mechs. When it comes to the unseen/reseen designs, there is always the question of legal matters. No, we don't need to go pointing fingers at anyone but it's the reality of the situation. Our fearless leaders Russ and Bryan would be the only ones to be able to make the call on the inclusion of those Mechs. There's nothing really technical keeping us from including them, it's a matter of making sure the variant/chassis we come up with is worth the time and money needed to invest in getting them done.

Now I came in here promising myself not to dodge any questions but from the bottom of my heart... yeah yeah.. trolls have hearts... I am not the one to answer this question for you.

Edited by DirePhoenix, 14 January 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#211 Tice Daurus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 14 January 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

From Paul Inouye in the "Ask Me Anything" on Reddit three months ago:

Eros_Narcissus 20 points 3 months ago*

Hey Paul, great job so far :) My question:

Considering the fact that FlyingDebris is doing full redesigns of every chassis being included in MWO, would you please address the possibility of unseen/reseen designs? To most of us, it seems as if his work would preclude any legal problems from arising, though we would certainly understand if it were not something PGI wanted to risk. I think the fanbase would be incredibly appreciative of a simple nod in one direction or another.

Paul_PGI[S] 23 points 3 months ago

Why must you do this to me? What did I do to you?

FlyingDebris IS doing an awesome great job at redefining the looks of the classic Mechs. When it comes to the unseen/reseen designs, there is always the question of legal matters. No, we don't need to go pointing fingers at anyone but it's the reality of the situation. Our fearless leaders Russ and Bryan would be the only ones to be able to make the call on the inclusion of those Mechs. There's nothing really technical keeping us from including them, it's a matter of making sure the variant/chassis we come up with is worth the time and money needed to invest in getting them done.

Now I came in here promising myself not to dodge any questions but from the bottom of my heart... yeah yeah.. trolls have hearts... I am not the one to answer this question for you.

From the horse's mouth.

Well, not really. Paul is not a horse. He's a work horse of a man tirelessly trying to get us this game that is. But you know what I mean. Bottom line, they could put the old Unseens in. But it's a matter of drawing legal ramifications that PGI DOESN'T NEED right now because they are trying to get the game off of the launching pad first before even trying to tackle this issue. They still have a host of problems, fixes, and bugs, plus adding content to get the game rolling first before even thinking of attempting to think of tackling this issue. WHY? Because it's the SMART thing. You have to learn to crawl before you can walk. You have to walk before you can run. You have to run before you can tackle the marathon. Baby steps people, baby steps.

And this has nothing to do with PGI doesn't have the (Seriously? I can't say eggs in Spanish here??? You censor nazis!) to deal with HG. They do, and maybe they will down the road. But for now...just be happy we have a Mechwarrior title, the first we've had in a decade. Geesh. You people and "I just want my Warhammer!"

Crybabies. Deal with it! :)

Edited by Tice Daurus, 14 January 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#212 Liberty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

Well.... 3 months ago is a bit better than a whole year. Thanks for the links.

#213 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

View PostOdanan, on 14 January 2013 - 05:17 AM, said:

We all want.
But there must be a reason for PGI not using the even Reseen* mechs. Maybe after the Clans, in 2014, they surprise us with an all-Reseen wave of IS mechs... (we can always dream, right?)

*The Unseen they can't use, anyway - so forget about it.

Talking about the Unseen, Zaptruder is making pretty redesigns of the Unseen. Look at his Shadow Hawk, Battlemaster, Phoenix Hawk, Stinger, Marauder, Wahammer and Locust. I know, most are too legally similar with the Unseen, but they are a proof that even the classics can be made better.

as I was told, the reseen mechs are owned by Topps so unless they get licencing from them, its a no go

View PostLiberty, on 14 January 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

like info on CW. In fact they ask in the OP NOT to ask about CW at all

#214 Flocus

• PipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 35 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Why isn't it possible to license the unseen from the Copyright owner? I love them so much, especially the Marauder and the Warhammer. That would be worth the money (if in a reasonable range)!!! All People creating reseen models have my full Support but there is only one "true" Marauder design ... (I started my MW "career" with BT tabletop, the Mechwarrior RPG and of course the great books).

Edited by Flocus, 14 January 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#215 skelley92

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts
  • LocationFusion Engine City, MI

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

View PostFlocus, on 14 January 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

Why isn't it possible to license the unseen from the Copyright owner? I love them so much, especially the Marauder and the Warhammer. That would be worth the money (if in a reasonable range)!!! All People creating reseen models have my full Support but there is only one "true" Marauder design ... (I started my MW "career" with BT tabletop, the Mechwarrior RPG and of course the great books).

I would love to see them, however, I think the the license fees are out side of the "reasonable range". It's such a legal mess with some of the original Mech, if you put them into the game, someone, somewhere is going to sue. Best just to stay out of it.

Edited by skelley92, 14 January 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#216 Vincent Lynch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:36 AM

My personal thought on this:
Maybe, just maybe PGI already went to ask H.G. and the others about how much would it cost to get the Unseen licensed, and just couldn'nt afford it.
But maybe, just maybe, in a few years, if this game gets really big and rocking with millions of players, they will be willing to pay for the Unseen licenses. :D

#217 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

For the good of all of Battletech we need to let go of the old images. I mean seriously, we're talking about game makers trying to tiptoe and write around these missing 'mechs for fear of some litigation about a bunch of line art?!?

These 'mechs are more important than the images they originally used to depict them. We can't have games that continuously pretend they don't exist, when they played such a heavy role in this franchise's history.

We see the new art that PGI is using for all the 'mechs we already have included and coming into this game. I am confident that PGI is more than able to come up with their own designs for these 'mechs in MWO. And then maybe if PGI takes the lead in stepping forward with their own art, other game makers in this franchise will follow suit. And then instead of these key 'mechs missing from our games, we'll have a plethora of designs.

What is more important, using the original imagery or having these 'mechs in your game? Game developers should be jumping at the chance to make their own versions of these 'mechs, because they've been neglected for so long that the first one to do it will essentially be defining the archetype for others to follow (or not follow, maybe another game will think they can make a better version, and then try to 1-up them), the point is to get these 'mechs back into our games instead of perpetually fearing the litigation bogey-monster.

#218 Suskis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 276 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Some people do not realize what Unseen are.
I started playing in 1986. In my 1st match I played a Marauder.
People like me would PAY REAL CASH to pilot a Marauder! This is the point.
Whatever time and efforts it would take to have Unseen in the game. it will be repaid, a lot more than spending same time and effort to bring some other less "epic" mech (like the Cataphract, to name a decent, but not special one).
That's why unless they really fear legal problems again, they MUST do it!

and, btw: we need the Banshee-S asap

#219 Erik Hollister

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 157 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:51 AM

THis is an old thread, I know... but to have these classic mechs in the game would really bring it home for us old guys/gals. It would probably be "just another mech" for all the whipper-snappers, but....

#220 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:13 AM

Yes, this is an old thread. I'm surprised when it surfaces again.

I can see very decent opinions that advocate each pool option.

Spoiler
for the "I accept nothing but the original Unseen." die-hard Battletech fans.

But I think there is an option missing: Something like: "I prefer PGI to bring a whole new redesign of these mechs (not Unseen, not Reseen)." . Should I add this option to the pool?

Edited by Odanan, 18 January 2013 - 05:14 AM.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users